Author Topic: New Writers Contest  (Read 12906 times)

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
Re: New Writers Contest
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »
This looks *awesome* - guaranteed feedback? I'm in, although I really need to learn to browse the forums instead of just use the unread topics button... Anyway. A few questions - can I leave feedback at the end? Constructively, not the 'blargh criticism without substance is good and not just whining' kind. Two, feedback is promised..?  :ohdear: That means a lot to me~ Three... Umn, I really like the entries so far.
Spoiler:
Nichi-Mikoko, it's always great to see Meira - and _cf, this sounds like it'd fit right with my headcanon. Yayifications, as the byward goes!

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
She couldn?t believe she was stooping so low. She was now reduced to a harmless prankster, a wanderer. The change was too quick, too sudden, and now she, a trickster of several centuries, had been tricked. What little pride she had was taken away from her.

Mystia Lorelei ran, hustling about with several pieces of clothing. The night was still young, but no one but she could see what was going on. No one but she could know about this, lest she lose her another opportunity. Time was crucial; if she took too long preparing, there would be no more victims.

Over her usual pink dress, she donned a brown nondescript kimono, which was unusually clean and neat. (She never used it anyway.) Within it, her wings were folded and hidden, because unlike her dress, it was only made for humans; though it was painful, she wasn?t going to cut two slits behind it for comfort. She tied a stolen blue apron around her waist. To her, this outfit was a stupid idea, but she had to play the part. She couldn?t be a youkai.

Her feathery ears perked up at the sound of a faint thud. As quickly as she heard the growl, she shot her gaze at the onlooker. Even with her acute eyesight, she could only make out the faint outline of what appeared to be a wolf.

Only a single growl was needed to shoo away the wolf. They both knew that the night sparrow would eventually overpower the other youkai in a brawl. Nothing more needed to be said.

Mystia replaced her hat with a blue bandana, tying up her pink hair and nearly fumbling with the knot as she finished. Her ears were tucked into the cloth, hidden from prying eyes. There was no need for functionality now.

With her hand grasping her cap, she neared a wooden cart, hidden in an overgrown shrub barely tall enough to hide the cart?s frame. No one had found it. Mystia pulled it out by its large front handle, but struggled to shake off stray branches that had clung to it.

?Rrrrgh!? she grunted. By the time she had freed the cart from its hiding place, she was breathing fast and hard for breath.

Now, she could see it better. It was an average but slightly improvised piece of equipment, with no heating source or any proper fuel. There were only matchsticks in the now-opened grill, and there were a lot of them laid in a pile under the metal plate.

She looked at her cap, only to find it folded from clenching it too tightly. ?Oh, great,? she murmured, tossing it haphazardly on the cart.

So here she was, Mystia Lorelei, the Wonder of the Night Sparrow, no longer a bird of prey but a mere vendor dressed in human clothing. Even if it was only for this night, it was degrading beyond words.

?This had better be worth it,? she grumbled.

She opened a cabinet beneath the countertop, taking out a wooden pot. With dreadful anticipation, she removed the lid.

The lamprey was still fresh.

The night sparrow sighed in relief. ?Finally, I can get this over with!?

Maybe it wouldn?t be so bad after all.

Mystia?s hands twitched.

Not only was she bored and disappointed, but she was also itching to unsheathe her claws and kill. Leaving behind a corpse was a much better threat than enticement, but the new rules of Gensokyo had forced every youkai to ?play fair.? None of it was fair; where was the fun in challenging humans? It was more satisfying to catch them unawares and kill them where they stood.

She began to sing in a young and mellow voice, filling the forest path with her song. One other thing that she enjoyed besides the art of hunting was singing. It was something she took as a passion, both exciting and calming her.

?Cherry blossom, cherry blossom, this dream is far too short??

A stray wind blew across the forest. On the cart, a single bright paper lantern shone red in the dark, swinging with the night breeze. It didn?t light the place up, but it could be seen from a mile away. The light would be bait for the unfortunate humans who would come across her song?s sweet tone. 

That is, if there were any to begin with. Not a soul had come along in the past hour, and, to be honest, she believed that no one would come. Only insect noises kept her company.

?Snowflake, snowflake, fall on me, fall on me??

As she sung, Mystia looked to the black sky, gazing at the stars. The panorama above didn?t change, but how many other things did change? How many youkai were there now, now that they had converged in this land of illusion? What would happen to the humans, now that they were separated from the rest of their civilization?

She sang for a reason. This was what night sparrows were known for: their songs of discord and magic of night blindness. Many a human had been a victim of the night blindness she induced, and they all were allured by her song. The poor, deluded fools would die at her hands and become a very filling meal.

But now that hunting humans was no longer an option, Mystia had to compete for wild animals. Fortunately, fish was something she did not have to scavenge for. She could spend a half of the day fishing and come back with enough for dinner, the best part being the fact that no one disturbed her.  Cooking them was simple and yielded delicious food, if she did say so herself.

?Sunshine, sunshine, won?t you stay? Won?t you stay??

So she had come up with this. If she wasn?t going to be known for her ferocity, and if the humans weren?t going to fear her, then she would be known for her cunning. Her trickery.

Looking again beyond the path, her eyes scouted for humans. None so far-

?Spring breeze, spring breeze, fill m-m-my breath, fill my breath??

The night sparrow?s voice wobbled and almost wavered at what she saw. No way, she thought. It was a human, probably coming back from the planting fields. From her place, Mystia noticed the lazy gait of the man. His shoulders hung wearily from his frame, and his feet were dragging themselves across. His other features, however, were hidden in the shade of the night.

?Time to work my magic,? the youkai breathed out. One last stanza was left in her song, and after that, the night blinding would commence. She inhaled deeply, trying to calm down.

?Land of dreams, land of dreams, cover me in sweet bliss??

Orbs of black raced towards the human. The man, slow and steady, tripped forward, looking around in confusion. Mystia hopefully observed him, wanting him to come this way. His head tilted upwards, finally noticing the cart?s red lantern. His approach began with a crawl, then a staggering walk after he had gotten off the ground.

?Better start preparing,? Mystia reminded herself. She took out the wooden pot containing the lamprey as well as some leftover salt that she had scrounged for.

Again, she watched the man come. Come on, you?re already halfway, was what she wanted to say, but she had to keep silent; it was already suspicious for a vendor to be out in the open, and drawing attention to herself was bound to get her in trouble.

Speaking of which, there was. From the side, the same wolf from before emerged, ready to pounce on the traveler. A growl wouldn?t drive him away this time, which was for sure.

Immediately, Mystia thought of shooing it away personally, but in the middle of her scramble, hesitated. No, she wasn?t going to protect the human when another youkai could see it. No, that would ruin her name. But then, she would have wasted this time setting everything up. It was all going to go down the drain if she just stood there.

?Screw this!? She was at a loss for actions. Anger began to penetrate her indifferent face, but not far behind was grief. It was either soiling her name or throwing her plan away.

And against all odds, she ran for it. The human could see her, running towards him with an angry face. Just before he could react, Mystia stood with her back in front of him, with fists bared at the intruder. She glared at the wolf youkai.

The wolf remained unperturbed. It barked in a high tone and sprinted back into the dark confines of the forest.

The human was only scared by the sound, but Mystia understood it clearly.

?You fool! Humans were not meant for us to protect. You will regret doing this.?

She would need to take her mind off that. For now, she had some praise and recognition to win.

?Hey, are you okay?? Mustering up her wits, she asked the human. ?Come with me; I?ll get you to a safe place.? The curse of night blindness was still on him, so he could not see the face of the fraudulent youkai clearly. Was he going to trust her? He only nodded.

Mystia let the human place his rough arm on her shoulder as they walked towards the night sparrow?s cart.

The rest of the night passed like a blur. She put her cooking skills to use, lighting up the matches for the grill, preparing the lamprey on the flat iron grill, and salting the fish.

While the human was busy eating the grilled lamprey, her hand, hidden behind the grill, channeled the night blindness curse away from the human?s eyes. The black energy floated to Mystia?s hidden hand, dissipating as she clenched her hand. The human remarked about how he could see properly again, and probably because of eating the lamprey. No comment on the taste of the food and the chef's appearance, though. After some thanks, he left with a relieved and peaceful look on his face.

Hopefully, he would spread the word about her. Then, she would be able to enter the human village without raising suspicion and continue her plan.

Now what? What had she done this night? She had openly helped a human, but at the same time deceived him. What would the youkai view this as, even if she meant to deceive?

?Cherry blossom, cherry blossom, won?t you stay for a little longer??

Mystia hauled her cart out, back into the embrace of darkness.

?Won?t you stay for a little longer??

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 10:44:01 PM »
I've been here for a year, but haven't won anything, so I hope this counts.  In any case it was fun to write.

Boredom, despite what it sounds like is a very fascinating thing.  Boredom drives people to create things to strive it off.  Even if all it takes is a piece of string. 

Out of boredom people tend to do very stupid things.  And in a place filled with to the brim with all sorts of magical and powerful beings, boredom just as often leads to danger.  But stupidity and danger always seem to go hand and hand.  This is the story of what happened when one person became bored and almost destroyed the whole world.

?Toyohime!?  Yorihime was staring out of a window at the sky and in her hand was a piece of paper from the world below or above if you will.

?What is it?? she came running up to her sister and looked out the same window.

?Does,? she looked down at the paper and then back up to the sky, ?the Earth seem closer??

?Hm?? she tilted her head and looked at the Earth in the sky.  ?Not really.  If it was any closer the impure atmosphere would be choking us.?

?Huh,? she folded the piece of paper and stuck it up her sleeve.  ?I guess you're right.?  She forced a small grin.  ?I'm going out for a bit.?

Toyohime looked up at the Earth in the sky above and frowned.  ?I hope that impure place stays away.?

In Eientei; Eirin, Kaguya, and Reisen were all staring up at the moon.  A beam of light shot down a few feet away from them and Yorihime emerged.  She looked up at all the expectant faces, ?What is the meaning of this--? she took a step forward and the ground gave way underneath her.

There was stifled laughter from the Princess.  Reisen gasped and tried to go help Yorihime, but Eirin grabbed her shoulder.  ?You should always be aware of your surroundings.  I thought I taught you better than that.?

?I'm sorry,? she said climbing out of the pitfall.

?Clue 1, Tewi is no where to be found.  Clue 2, the grass there was fresher than the surroundings,? Eirin looked down at Reisen, ?Like master, like rabbit.?  She walked over her old student, ?You've gotten sloppy.  Which is why I sent that letter,? she looked at Yorihime crawling out of the hole.  ?Which is why I HAD to send that letter,? she corrected herself.  ?You haven't noticed the moon being pulled closer??  Yorihime hung her head in shame.  ?As I thought.  I believe even the shrine maiden her has noticed.  And I'm almost positive Yukari and that ghost have noticed.?

?What do you want me to do?? Yorihime asked.  Eirin slapped her and stumbled back into the hole.

?It should be obvious!  Do NOT let the moon fall!? she yelled furiously into the hole.  ?If you need MORE hints on where to start, there's only a hand full of others who have been to the moon.  Princess,? the turned to the bushes, ?Tewi, we're going back in.?

?Umm,? Reisen started.

?Honestly, why do I have to keep spelling everything out to you people.  Go WITH HER!? Eirin yelled and headed into Eientei.

?Have fun!? Kaguya said as she ran past them.  Tewi didn't say anything as she walked out of hiding and into the building.

Yorihime got up and dusted herself off and looked sternly at Reisen, ?Lead the way to that vampire.?

Reisen nodded and they headed to the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

By the time the arrived at the gates, the sun was starting to rise.  Surprising the residents of the mansion didn't seem to mind.  The moon was blocking the sun's rays from hitting them.  Even more surprisingly water in the lake seemed to have moved Eastward.  Vampires being what they are, are traditionally weak to running water because running water is pure and can't house magic.  Unsure whether stationary water turned running as the same effect, Meiling went to investigate and was not at her post allowing Yorihime and Reisen to walk straight in.

?So,? Remilia came out to greet them personally.  Sakuya was no where to be seem.  ?You have come down to finish me off personally.?  She held out her hand in front of her and Gungnir spawned in it.

?We'll see,? Yorihime said.  ?Tell me what you know of the falling moon!?  Yorihime pointed to the east.

Remilia lowed her spear and looked.  She gripped it tighter and pointed it Yorihime.  ?And how do I know you're not the one dropping it?  It could all be a last ditch effort to purge this world and you came down personally to kill off anyone who could survive it!?

?That's preposterous!? Yorihime gripped her sheathe with one hand and rest her other hand on the hilt.  ?If you know nothing I will take my leave.?  She started back up, but was stopped by something and felt cold steel on her neck.  ?Sakuya,? she said without turning around.

?Is my mistress not worth killing now?? Sakuya asked.  ?It'll take a lot more than one rock to kill her.?

Yorihime was assessing the situation in her head.  ?How did it come to this?? she asked out loud.

?It's always like this down here,? Reisen said.  ?It's common knowledge.?

?Common knowledge?? Yorihime repeated.  ?A lot of things are supposed common knowledge, but many you have to experience first hand!?

?Like not opening a window in space,? Sakuya chimed in.

?Exactly!? Yorihime exclaimed.  Something suddenly clicked with Sakuya and Yorihime and she dropped the knife from her neck.  In an instant a camaraderie was formed between two people who almost got themselves and other sucked out into the vacuum of space.

Remilia sighed and had her spear vanish.  ?I guess that would take more cunning on your part.?  She looked up at the sky, even though the moon was blocking the sun, it was still there and Remilia was starting to feel the effects.  ?I'm going to sleep.  Sakuya, I expect the world to still be here when I awake.?  She turned around and headed into the Mansion.

?Look out!? Sakuya yelled and Yorihime felt something, and with out moving she was on the opposite end of the garden and where she was standing suddenly went up in flames.  Something from the sky fell into the flames and with one swift movement they were extinguished.  Reimu was standing there, glaring at Yorihime.

?Explain yourself or I'll attack!?

?Don't say that after you've attacked!? Reisen yelled.  Reimu turned and gave Reisen a look.  A strong look, a look that looked like it would have turned a lesser creature to stone.  Reisen not knowing how to respond to such a look, cowered away.  Reimu turned her attention back to Yorihime.

?If I wanted to hit you, I would have.?

?If I recall, I won our last fight.?

?It was a draw,? Reimu said and jumped to left and vanished for split second before appearing beside Yorihime and kicking her in the head.  She went flying and pushed down with her palm and flipped up to her feet.  When she landed, she unsheathed her sword and slashed and air rushed forward.  Reimu hopped up and  laid down and spread out her arms and slash went under her.  She landed and sighed.

?I guess it can't be helped.?

?Yes it can, this is your fault!? Reisen again.

?She did a crummy job of explaining herself,? she got ready to attack again.  When suddenly there was a huge surge of energy from the Youkai Mountain.  And the moon appeared to pick up speed.  Reimu sighed again, ?Duty calls.?  She flew off towards the mountain.  And the others followed.  ?What are you doing??

?It's my duty to protect the moon,? Yorihime said.

?And it's my duty to protect the mansion,? Sakuya said.

?My master told me to,? Reisen said.

They were above the forest heading towards the mountain, ?Looks like we're halfway there!? Reimu shouted back at the group.

?Livin on a prayer!? Sakuya shouted.  Everyone stopped and turned to look at her.

?Take my hand and we'll make it I swear!? some one started sanging from below.

?Living on a prayer!? they both sung in unison.  The leaves under them started rustling and a tall person jumped up.

?Yuugi!? Reimu exclaimed.

?The very same,? she laughed.

?What are you d--?  Yuugi held up her finger.

?Hold on, this is my favorite part!?  she flew over to Sakuya who was still singing.

?We've got to hold on to what we've got
Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love ? we'll give it a shot? Sakuya sung by herself.

?We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all you got!? they sung together.  And then Yuugi flew up and punched Sakuya in the top of the head and fell out of the sky.

?What the hell?? Yorihime yelled.

?I'unno,? Yuugi shrugged.  ?Seemed like an appropriate time.?

?I'm getting a head ache,? Reimu said rubbing her forehead.  ?Why are you here??

?Those kappas are doing stuff,? Yuugi explained.

?They're always doing stuff,? Reimu sighed.

?Yea, but it's mostly harmless stuff and all around fun things.  But then,? she looked over her shoulder at the moon.  ?That happened.?

?Kappas did that?? Yorihime and Reimu yelled in unison.

?Yes!  Sort of,? Yuugi explained.

?Which is it!??  Reimu yelled.

?Both...ish, the kappas built a thing that pulls things to you.  But then that witch got it and thought it'd be fun to supe it up to pull bigger things.  And then to test it out they tried it on the moon.?

Everyone stared at Yuugi, dumbfounded.  ?You've got to be kidding me,? Yorihime said at last.

?Ugh,? Reimu groaned, ?I should have figured something when she's been quiet for so long.  Let's go find that thing and shut it off and then beat the crap out of Marisa.?

?Wait,? Yuugi said staring at the forest.  ?Is she dead??

?She's fine, let's go,? Reimu said and headed off.

?Stopping that is more important,? Yorihime said followed.

The Kappa Village was deserted.  Reimu was looking around, ?That way!? the pointed and ran into a building.

?Yo!? Marisa smiled and greeted them.  ?We sort of messed up.?

?'Sort of!'? Reimu yelled.

?You messed up big time!? Yorihime said and started walking towards Marisa.

?Success!? Marisa exclaimed suddenly.  ?I was aiming for you!?

?What?? Yorihime stopped.

?She's lying,? Reimu said.  ?Trying to save her ass.?

?Hehe, I do do that,? Marisa grinned.  ?Think fast!? she kicked something towards Reimu and ran away.

Reimu looked at the thing in her hand.  It looked like a magnet attached to a control device.  ?She's tampered with it,? Reimu said turning the device in her hand.

?Let me see it,? Yorihime grabbed the device.  She turned it over and broke it.

?I could have done that,? Reimu said.  The ground started shaking beneath them.  They ran outside.

?The moon isn't stopping!? Reisen yelled.

?It's too late, it's caught in the Earth's gravitational pull,? Yorihime said.

?Is that possible?? Reimu asked.

?You explain what's happening,? Yorihime said.

?You're awfully calm about this,? Reimu looked over at Yorihime, who had her hand on the hilt of her sword.  ?What are you doing??

?If it comes to it, I will cut the lunar capital from the moon.?

?What about Gensokyo?? Reimu asked.

?That's your problem,? Yorihime said and smirked at her.

?Hmph,? Reimu smirked back, ?I guess it is.?  She sat down crosslegged and stuck her stick in the ground.

?Now what are you doing?? Yorihime asked.

?Praying,? she said.  The barrier in the sky became visible, the ground was shaking more ferociously.  Reimu pointed at a spot in the eastern sky, it wasn't visible but the moon was there.  ?I want you to slash there on my command.  Everyone will be saved!?

Yorihime nodded, the ground was shaking harder now.  The mountain was shaking and trees were falling.  There was a crashing noise as the moon hit the barrier.  It was starting to bend.  ?NOW!?  Yorihime cut the air, it hit the barrier and it shattered rubber banding the moon back into the sky. They watched as the moon flew back into the sky.

A few days later at the Hakurei Shrine, Reimu was visited by Yorihime and others from Eientei.  ?You haven't gone back yet?? Reimu asked.

?It's still unstable,? Yorihime explained.

?It's fine if you stay, just don't cause trouble,? Reimu said.

?Any word from the person who caused all of this?? Eirin asked.

?Yea,? Reimu threw them a doll with a not attached. 

The note read, ?Gone to live with Mima, Marisa.?  Eirin groaned after reading it.

?In any case, everything is safe and well now.?  Yuugi said coming up the steps.

?Speak for yourself,? Remilia said coming up the steps.  Meiling was carrying to the umbrella.  ?You broke my maid, I want a new one.?

?You should have evacuated to Makai with everyone else, I hear they have maids there,? Yuugi laughed.

?I would never run away,? Remilia said boastfully and puffing out her chest.

?Is that so?? Yuugi asked.

?Stop that,? Reimu said throwing beans at them.

?That really is the way things are down here?? Yorihime laughed.

Reimu sighed, ?Somethings will never change.?

And peace once again rolled over Gensokyo.  The people all eventually returned.  Even Marisa eventually came back.  And they were all still waiting on her.  And in a strange turn of events, after Marisa was dealt with, it was stable enough for Yorihime to return to the moon.  Everyone hoped that peace was going to stay, but that would require for no one to become bored and that is just impossible.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
A few questions - can I leave feedback at the end? Constructively, not the 'blargh criticism without substance is good and not just whining' kind.
We judges would prefer that detailed feedback on the stories posted in this thread be limited to responses from the judges.  Of course you can PM anything you want to people, and give your opinions on works here, but anything more detailed then that would be counterproductive.

Two, feedback is promised..?  :ohdear: That means a lot to me~
Indeed.  Feedback from our judges is promised.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 02:19:07 AM »
Man, it's been years since I wrote something like this. I could've made it a bit longer, but this felt right to me. Well, regardless, here it is!

---

There was a young girl. If not for her bright, silver hair, you probably would not have seen this girl in the dark of night, for she was wearing a black coat and black pants. This was to hide herself in the dark; this was, after all, when the vampires awoke.

The vampire hunter looked up at the massive mansion looming before her. Directly ahead of her was a large, ornate gate, and a garden stretched to her right and left. The beautiful flowers filling the garden were a sharp contrast to the foreboding mansion. A red moon hung clearly in the background.

Multiple times in her life, the hunter had looked out at the lake to see a red spot off in the distance. Word of mouth had informed her that this was the Scarlet Devil Mansion, home to the Scarlet Devil, a vampire supposedly unmatched in strength.

The hunter's father had fallen to the Scarlet Devil, shortly before the girl's birth. Her mother had died at childbirth, and while the girl's foster parents had giver her a name, she refused to use it, if she could not have a name given to her by someone she respected, she would rather take no name at all.

Not long after learning the cause of her father's death, the girl had decided to follow in her father's steps as a vampire hunter; not only as a chance for revenge, but as a sign of respect. Though she had been training for most of her life, the girl was still relatively new to the actual act of hunting, and had only dealt with a handful of vampires up to this point. However, the girl was confident in her abilities, and had chosen this day to be the Scarlet Devil's last. This day marked the eighteenth anniversary of her father's death.

Crossing the lake vast lake that surrounded the mansion had been a simple enough task. Though the faeries had meddled with her affairs, the girl had little trouble dealing with them; they were, after all, only faeries.

As the hunter approached the gate, a voice from the garden called, ?Who goes there?? The hunter looked over to see a red-haired girl in a green dress glaring at her from a nearby flower bed. From the watering can in the girl's hand, the hunter could tell that this girl was the mansion's gardener.

?It is none of your concern, gardener. Go back to watering your flowers.?

At that, the girl with the watering can crossed over to block the trespasser's path to the gate. ?I am Hong Meiling, gatekeeper of this mansion. Now, explain your business here, or leave immediately,?

The hunter grinned an unsettling grin; to call it sadistic would be an overstatement, to call it friendly would be a lie. ?So be it. I am here to eliminate your master. She has terrorized Gensokyo for long enough, and it is time to put an end to her.

Without another word, the two engaged in battle. The hunter felt out of her element fighting a martial artist like the Youkai before her, and though she was able to avoid the brunt of most of the guard's attacks, the ones that did connect were still quite powerful, and she was having difficulties finding an opening. That was, until the girl remembered her ace in the hole.

The hunter possessed a small pocket watch that she had inherited from her father. With it, she had discovered that she had the ability to stop time, but not for long. When she first discovered the watch?s ability, she had only been able to freeze time for a few of her own relative seconds; however, years of training had brought that limit up to five minutes. After she had used up this limit, she would need to set it out in the moonlight to recharge, hence the device's name: Luna Dial.

Withdrawing the Luna Dial from her pocket, the hunter waited for an opportunity. Finally, Meiling left herself open with a kick, and time froze. The hunter stepped casually up to Meiling, and slammed the blunt end of one of her knifes into the guard's forehead. As time started back up, the guard fell over; the blow had been strong enough to knock her out, but not much more.

The hunter opened the gate without hesitation, and looked up at the large doors to the mansion. They had an odd design, quite unlike what you would normally find in Gensokyo. Foregoing the two knockers adorning the doors, the hunter pushed one of the doors open, and after a bit of effort, it gave in and creaked open.

The girl entered a room as ornate and crimson as the walls that contained it. A large chandelier hung from the ceiling, and a wide set of stairs led up to a higher level. Doors stood at opposite ends of the room. Her footsteps echoed as she entered the room. She opened the left door first, and it led to a large hallway, full of doors. The girl walked through, until she came to the end of the hallway. Before her was a set of doors almost as large as those at the entrance to the mansion. As she opened the door, a look of awe flashed across her face.

Sprawled out before the girl was a massive library. Bookshelf upon bookshelf covered the entire room, leaving very little room to walk. The shelves were dusty, and some of the books looked as though they hadn't been touched in centuries. As she walked through the massive library, the girl peered at a few of the books, and pulled one from its shelf out of curiosity. As she opened it, a large puff of dust filled the air, and she dropped the book in a coughing fit.

?I would appreciate it if you didn't do that.? The hunter turned around to see a purple-haired girl in what appeared to be pajamas glaring at her. Though she didn't appear to be very old, she had the air of wisdom that only those who had lived for a long, long time were known to possess. ?These books are very ancient, you know. I don't know how you would've gotten a replacement, so I would suggest you think before dropping other peoples' property on the ground,? the girl continued, stooping to pick up the book that the hunter had dropped.

?I'm sorry, the dust caught me by surprise.?

?Yes, it tends to do that. That is no excuse to drop such a precious tome, however. Regardless, who are you? I don't think I've seen you in here before. I'm Patchouli Knowledge, the librarian. Are you an acquaintance of Mistress Remilia??

?Y-yes, of course. Unfortunately, I seem to be having trouble finding her. You wouldn't happen to know where she is at the moment, would you??

Patchouli nodded, her glare never faltering. ?Right now, she's probably in her room upstairs, although she may have already left to feed.?

The hunter thanked her, and turned to leave. However, a hand on her should stopped her.

?By the way... I'd like to know how a girl who only leaves the mansion at night to feed would have an acquaintance. If you don't mind my asking, how did you meet the mistress??

The hunter turned to face the librarian, who was now showing an obviously fake smile. However, an answer was never given; the hunter activated the Luna Dial, and left the librarian standing there for a moment, before realizing that no-one was there.

The hunter ran back through the hallway, having deactivated the pocket watch. She soon returned to the main room, and head up the large set of stairs. At the top was a single door, not as grandiose as the ones that had led to the mansion or the library, but very distinguishable from the other doors the hunter had encountered in the mansion. She took a deep breathe, then opened the door.

Inside was a fairly simple bedroom. Although it was certainly regal, it didn't have anything you wouldn't normally find in a bedroom; a bed, a dresser, and a nightstand. The only exception was the massive balcony jutting from the far end of the room. The hunter slowly stepped towards this balcony, her heart beating faster every step, until she was finally outside.

?I've been waiting for you.?

The hunter turned sharply to the left to see something quite unexpected. Where she had been expecting a fearsome creature that would give even the bravest adult nightmares, stood a child in a red dress. However, one look a the wings confirmed that this was the Scarlet Devil. ?You were expecting me??

?I watched you fight my guard earlier, and I must say, I was quite impressed. You are one of the few who have ever bested her. Why, you remind me of a man I fought, maybe, twenty years ago-?

?You mean my father!? the hunter replied, glaring at the girl before her.

?Ah, you're related. That explains a few things. Regardless,? the vampire said, a devious smile creeping across her face, ?I think I'm going to enjoy this.?

With that, the battle had begun. The balcony had become a cyclone of knives, as the two opponents attempted to fell the other. Neither had been very successful; whereas Remilia's wings gave her great freedom of movement, the Luna Dial had thus far allowed the hunter to dodge all of the vampire's attacks. However, the battle was wearing her out; when she was not dodging knives or the vampire's spear, the Gungnir, the hunter would be picking up knives that had been previously thrown, or throwing them only to have the target move the instant the knife left her hand. The battle had already been going on for a few minutes, and the Luna Dial was running out.

Obviously, the hunter's actions had been noticed by the Scarlet Devil; as the former threw one of her knives and was about to stop time to collect her knives, the vampire made an unexpected move. Instead of simply dodging the knife as she had previously, she flew in close to the hunter and rammed her Gungnir through the hunter's right hand, letting the pocket watch fall to the ground. The hunter cried out in pain, falling to the ground.

The Scarlet Devil loomed over her, grinning at her victim. ?You really were like your father. I must admit, that little trinket of yours was quite... problematic. You yourself were quite skilled, as well. Normally, I'd drain your blood without a second thought right now. You, however... you intrigue me. Even more so than your father.?

The hunter scowled at her aggressor. ?What, so are you going to do to me? Torture me? Throw me in a dungeon??

Remilia looked shocked, almost insulted. ?What kind of savage do you think I am?! No, I have something much better. I have an offer of salvation. I will spare your life... if you will be my maid.?

The hunter looked up at the vampire. She could live... or die. Live in servitude to that which she hated more than anything else in the world, or die a noble death, like her father.

Her father. Her father had not survived the battle. Her father had either chosen to die, or simply messed up and was killed regardless. Her father may not have even been given this option.

The hunter had accomplished more than her father. She had faced the Scarlet Devil, and lived. All her life, the girl had been training for this moment, and even though she had failed her ultimate goal, she succeeded where her father had failed. She had lived. She then decided, it was time to live her own life. Her whole life had been dedicated to following in her father's footsteps, to avenging him. Now, she would live for herself.

The girl looked the vampire straight in the eyes. ?I... accept. I accept... Mistress Remilia.?

Remilia grinned. ?You're a smart one. Your service shall begin once your hand heals. From this day forth, your name shall be... Sakuya Izayoi.?

---

Can you tell fighting scenes aren't exactly my forte? :P

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »
well that'll teach me for thinking this contest would be easy

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
well that'll teach me for thinking this contest would be easy

Yeah, you should just give up your hopes, because I'm also going to enter. :P

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 04:07:11 AM »
Yeah, you should just give up your hopes, because I'm also going to enter. :P

orz

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »
Done with mine, but it came out much, much longer than what I had expected. Sorry >.<

==========
?Twas the final nights of autumn. The heavy winds blew hard against her face and body as she lied there, on the cold, hard ground, shivering. The last brown leaves of the season had fallen from their branches, signifying the beginning of winter and the girl knew, deep inside, that she was done for. Her legs did not bear the strength to move anymore. Not even a single inch. And even if she could, she had nowhere to go, no home to live in, no family to love, nobody to ever remember her; abandoned for as long as she could recall.

And then she came along; a young woman whose superb beauty was unimaginable to the girl. Her long black hair was tied up into a ponytail, reaching right down to her knees. Her eyes sparkled under the moonlit night, even brighter than the stars themselves. To her, the woman was an angel, coming to save her life. It took the girl everything she had to give even the slightest kick on the leaves beneath her feet to create a soft ruffling sound, hoping to catch the woman's attention.

But alas, luck was not by her side. The freezing cold got to her, gradually blurring her senses. Everything began spinning and became distorted. Was this angel no other than the angel of death herself, here to claim the helpless little girl?s life? Was it the end for her?

?Honey, look!?

----------

"Mama! You're back!" the blonde girl ran over to the woman at the door and gave her a big, warm and tight embrace, followed up by a kiss to the forehead. The woman said no word, replying with only her bright, angelic smile that could brighten up even the darkest of rooms and lighten up even the saddest of days.

It has been seven years since that fateful day. The very day a five-year-old child discovered the warmth of love. The very first time she felt the comfort of a bed, of a home, and of course, the love of a family.

Deep within the forest that evening, after a day's worth of hunting with the man she loved, the woman just so happened to pass by that very same place the little girl had fallen unconscious. Perhaps it was the sound of the rustling leaves? Or perhaps it may be a mysterious force leading her there in the first place? It all felt like a lucky encounter, as if the strings of fate had been tied, destining the girl to be found by the couple.

And today, she grew up to become a healthy young lady. Her beauty had no match from anyone in the village. Perhaps it was because no one else had hair as golden as the rays of the sun, or eyes as blue as the sky.

However, beauty is not everything. Yes, indeed her beauty was unrivaled but so was her sadness and grief.  Being ostracized by the community at first was tolerable, but seeing her own father, adopted or not, fall prey to an unknown disease, slowly disabling his abilities to hunt and giving him a slow and painful death, made even more painful by the fact that he could not see his one and only daughter grow up and become a fine woman and made even moreso by the fact that he could not fulfill his vow to protect his wife until the day she lays lifeless by her death bed, was not bearable at all. Adding insult to injury, everyone avoided her even more, thinking she was the one who had brought death upon her own father.

?It was her!?

?She did it all!?

?Yeah! Ever since she came along, our village was never in peace!?

?And now she killed her own father! Despite all he?s done for her!?

?That monster?s only wearing a little girl?s guise!?

?It was the devil who sent her to us!?

?Now we?re all doomed!?

?Let?s just get her!?

?Yeah, with that monster gone, who wouldn?t be happy??

The villagers had brought torches and pitchforks, ready to hunt the poor little girl down. Their faces filled with rage and their eyes blazing with anger as they slowly marched to the little hut she called her home. The sound of heavy stomping was all that could be heard that dark evening. Deep inside, they all felt fear dwelling in their hearts, lingering in their minds and used that as their excuse to eradicate the girl.

Indeed, some would say the girl was a demon wearing but a human skin on the outside. Dogs, which were seen as animals with senses much more sensitive than that of an ordinary human?s, barked at her every single time they saw her pass by. They called her a demon, a monster, a bearer of plagues. In a village where black hair and black eyes was the norm for its villagers, was her ?difference? a little too much? What did she do to deserve what she had gotten? Was their reason adequate to take an innocent girl?s life away just like that?

?Stop!?

Only one woman stood up for her?

Standing a few feet away from the front door, or rather, the only door leading into that little hut, with her arms wide open, with her eyes bulging out so inhumanly, she clenched her teeth and threw angry glares at the people as her nine-year-old daughter stood behind the door in tears, hiding from the angry mob that stood upon their home.

And today, it's only her and her mother, striving to live their lives together till the very end, hand in hand.

"Mama, need any help?" the girl said excitedly, walking side by side with her mother to the back portion of their little hut, which they used as a kitchen.

"It's okay. Mama can handle this by herself, 'kay? So why don't you go outside for some fresh air??

The girl never once disobeyed her beloved mother's orders, instead following them joyfully. She never had one to begin with so now that she has found a family, she swore to do everything within her capabilities to make them happy. One of them now, that is.

And so the little blonde girl put on two more layers of clothing that she got from her father a few years back. Being the hunter that he was, it was no surprise that he kept the hides and skins of the animals that he had taken down, making sure to use every last bit of them all so it does not go to waste. So, without delaying yet another minute, the girl stepped outside the hut and took in a deep breath, catching all the fresh air into her lungs before releasing it all and simply smiling at the sky happily. The snowy floor was just beautiful, like a huge white bed sheet laid out across the entire land. She had always loved playing in the snow, although she favours the season that comes after even more. To her, if winter were like a beautiful flower, spring would be like an entire field of such flowers.

She smiled at the thought of the upcoming spring, where her mother would bring her to the woods to view the beauty of Mother Nature, just as she always did. She could picture it now, the flowers as they are in full bloom. Oh how she loved that magnificent view.

And then she began taking some small steps into the snow. Excited by the feeling of her feet sinking into the soft cotton-like snow, she giggled and took another step, and another, and yet another. Watching her feet all the while, she had soon wandered off too far into the village, bumping into a young boy among his group of friends who were playing with marbles in the snow. She looked up and her legs began trembling as she knew what this would result in.

The boy jumped and took a few steps back.

"Hey guys look, it's the monster girl!" the boy said.

"I walked into her the other day. I ran home right away. I was scared she might just kill me..."

"Just like what she did to her own father?"

Her eyes had become watery. She was beginning to cry but was paid no heed, instead they continued mocking her.

"Go to hell, monster!"

"Yeah, leave us alone!"

"We don't want your kind here!"

?Just die already!?

The girl wanted to go back home badly, but her legs did not move like she told them to and just continued trembling there.

"Hey guys," one of the boys voiced up. "She can probably kill us if we are alone at night, right? But look at us now. It's broad daylight and there are five of us here. What can she do to us? Besides, we got these..." the boy pointed at the marbles on the floor, giving the other four a brilliant suggestion as the five exchanged looks; their faces slowly turning into evil grins.

The girl watched in horror as the boys plotted against her, an innocent twelve-year-old girl. Really, what could she had done to them? What made them think she deserves all this?

Her eyes widened as she forced her legs to stop trembling, at least enough for her to make her escape.

But they didn't...

"Get her!" one boy shouted aloud, grabbing the girl by her clothing to ensure she doesn?t run away. And as she struggled even more, she managed to escape the boy?s grip but losing the deer hide she was wearing in the process. She got up and tried to run away as fast as she could as all five of the boys grabbed as many marbles as they could hold in one hand and began throwing their marbles at her with the other, rolling up snowballs and throwing them at her with all their might once they had thrown all their marbles. The girl tripped and fell onto the floor. Then they continued showering her with snowballs, small stones, and anything they could get their hands on. Her screams of pain and pleas for help went unnoticed, or were rather ignored by the other villagers.

Then one boy mounted himself on the girl and grinned at her. He proceeded to flick her on the forehead and nose several times before landing a few punches on her face. He stood up and stomped her abdomen once followed by a kick to the shin and one to the face. The five left the scene as quickly as they could, leaving behind the poor girl lying in the cold snow, crying her heart out. She knew her heavy sobbing was futile, what with her not having anybody here she could rely on and trust. So she just continued until she could not even shed a tear anymore.

The girl recalled a similar incident that happened the year before, where a man once brought her to the edge of the village and forced some indecent acts upon her, making her do a lot of embarrassing things. Even until now, she kept it a secret from the woman who had sworn her life to protect her.

But can she do the same this time?

?

The girl sat alone by the frozen lake, shivering from the sheer cold; her face buried in her hands, crying over her misfortune, fretting over the fact that she can never live a normal life like the others.

?Hey, is that you??

She looked up, eyes wide open and ready for another beating session. That is, until she realized to whom the voice belonged?

?Yu-chan, is that you??

From behind one of the trees popped out a girl with her short hair tied up in a bun. Her purple silk dress reached down, a few inches below her knees.

?Yu-chan, are you crying? What happened?? the girl put her hand on Yu?s shoulder. ?Come on, you can tell me? we?re friends, aren?t we??

?*sob*Oh, Sakura, I- *sob* I-I- *sob* *sniff*?

?Did someone pick on you again??

The girl called Yu nodded her head as the other girl gave her a faint smile to cheer her up.

?There, there?? she patted the blonde girl on the back. This was the one girl Yu considered a friend. Yes, that ONE person she knew she could trust, besides her own family. The one person she could share her laughter and sadness with. Her one true friend?

?Yu-chan, I think it?s getting a little late out here. It?s going to get dark soon; maybe you should head back home. Your mother is probably worried about you??

And with that, she stood up and waved goodbye before leaving to her own home.

?

"Mama, *cough* I'm home *cough*" the door opened.

"Oh dear! What happened to you? Are you okay?" the woman rushed to the door, helping her daughter into the little hut of theirs and onto a chair. "I'm sorry..." she began sobbing. "I'm sorry, dear. I should have just asked you to help me out instead. I-"

"No, Mama," the girl tried to comfort her mother, even though it was her who was hurt, covered in bruises, "it's my fault, Mama. I shouldn't have gone off too far..."

The woman held her close to her chest. Her warm, warm, chest. Holding her tight within her embrace and kissing her on the forehead, she wiped off the girl?s tears from her face.

"Mama's sorry too, honey," the woman held her close once again. "Let me get something for you, okay? Just wait here?? The woman reached for a blanket and wrapped it around the girl as she gently patted the girl?s head and left the room. The sound of her shuffling footsteps continued for a while more and stopped, followed by the sound of some furniture being moved around a bit, only to have her shuffle her way back with some herbs and a small stone mortar in her hands. ?Good thing we had some left??

Putting the herbs into the mortar, she proceeded to crush the herbs with a pestle.

?Okay, this is going to sting a little so just bear with it for a while-?

?AH!? the girl let out a shriek of pain, tensing up her shoulder as hard as a rock.

?

After stopping her heavy sobbing and wiping off her tears rolling down her cheeks and dripping onto her simple white dress like raindrops down a leaf onto the ground, she tried to cheer her daughter up and ease her from her pain by putting a smile on her own face.

?Well, umm? it's that day again, honey..."

The girl tilted her head. "Huh? What day?" she asked.

The woman stood up and walked to the back of their home, returning with her hands cupped up.

"Happy Birthday... Yu-chan..." the woman smiled that very same smile the girl had seen when they first met eye-to-eye. A genuine smile, bright enough to lighten up even the saddest of days. "Close your eyes??

The woman put her hand around the girl?s and kissed her on the forehead as she dropped a ring into her hands.

"Yu-chan, this is for you. My mother gave it to me as a memento, which she had received from her mother. This ring, you can say, is like our family heirloom. Now that you?re twelve, and finally an adult, it?s my turn to pass this ring down to you, so you can do the same to your daughter when the time comes. Cherish it well as it is now your possession?"

The girl put her hands over the ring; its emerald emanating a dim but warm, greenish glow. The girl stared at it to no end; her jaw dropped wide open, amazed at the precious, priceless beauty that was in her hands. Her eyes sparkled as she continued staring at it, unable to give her mother a reply. Her mind was blank, only focusing on the magnificent jewelry that she was holding.

?Wow? Mama? it?s? beautiful??

?Yes, honey. And it?s yours now? you?ll have to take good care of it, okay? This ring is even older than Mama??

Both mother and daughter smiled and exchanged hugs once again, until the girl finally fell asleep in her mother?s embrace, and finally ending up on her lap. Her wide, happy smile was one her mother had not seen for a long time, and she felt warm inside after seeing it again.

?Yu-chan? I love you??

And so the days went by quickly, yet all goes by well, like a flowing river...

But as smoothly as water flows, there are bound to be rocks and others obstructing its way eventually?

So everything was well, that is, until the last week of winter...

"Mama?"

The woman had suffered the same disease as her late husband...

It all started with a slight fever, gradually getting worse as her body grew hotter and hotter as the days passed. Then came the frequent headaches and pains all over her body. Nothing could soothe nor ease her suffering. Soon her body grew weak and one day, she finally collapsed onto the floor face-first while preparing breakfast.

?

"Mama? Mama? Mama, Speak to me... please..." the girl held on to her mother's hand, gripping her fingers tight. "Mama!?"

"Yu-chan," the woman said in a weak voice to her daughter, sitting beside her futon. "I?m sorry..." she coughed a few times." I cannot keep up to that promise we made..."

"Mama? No! Please! Wait, Mama!" the girl?s tears were endless. She cried so much that even her vision became obscured and blurred. Her clothes were soaking wet as they were used to wipe those never-ending tears.

"Shhh... Calm down, Yu-chan... You are an adult now... A big girl now... and big girls don't cry, right?... Huh? I can see Papa from here... It's so beautiful over there... I'm sorry, honey? I don?t want to leave? but I can?t? Papa is calling me? he?s holding onto my hand?"

?Mama? no? don?t go!? her grip tightened.

?It?s so beautiful??

And with that, the woman shut her eyes. She lost her grip on her daughter's hand. And the girl's screams reached even the peak of the heavens.

?MAMA!!!!!!!?

The door swung open and there stood a figure. Unable to make out who it was, the girl continued her weeping, hoping it was all just a dream? a bad, bad dream?

But it?s not?

?Yu-chan??

?Huh??

?Wait? your mother? is she? alright?...?

The blonde girl, Yu, curled up to a fetal position after hearing it, reminiscing the happy moments she had had with her beloved mother.

And even at a time like this, what could a friend do? All Sakura could do was approach Yu and hug her tightly, never letting her go.

?Yuuka? calm down, I know how it feels like, okay? But she?s in a better place now? Where she?s at she will never regret going, I swear?? Sakura said, hiding her face under the shadow cast by her hair.

?*sob* B-b-but, why? How are you so sure? *sniff* Have you seen it for yourself??

----------

Somewhere in the village, the men were in a meeting with the village chief.

?Hey, so I heard she?s dead??

?Hmmm??

?What should we do with the body, then??

?I say we burn the place down!?

?Yeah! Let it crumble to dust along with that monster!?

?Yes, that?s a great idea!?

?With her gone, I?m sure the village will return to its peaceful ways once again.?

?Yeah! Let?s go right now!?

An elderly man with a long, white beard in his late seventies raised his right hand slightly above his head, creating complete and utter silence.

?That girl?? he began, ?why do you assume that all your misfortune these past few years were caused by her??

?But, chief, it?s true. Ever since she stepped foot into this village, bad things started happening.?

?Yeah, chief! She?s a monste-?

The elderly man raised his hand once again and the men returned to silence.

?Her parents have done a lot for the village. Have you men forgotten that woman?s kindness? How many lives has she saved using her knowledge on herbal medicine? How many times has she saved your lives, I ask of you. If she hadn?t had been here, would you? And her husband, too. Have you all forgotten about him? Wasn?t he a man everyone once looked up to?? the village chief said, gently stroking his white beard.

?We were like brothers?? one man spoke. ?But he died?? then he was at the verge of tears, but he managed to suck it back in. ?He died because of that? t-t-that? that monster he called a daughter! He had gotten a disease never heard of before because that monster came into this village. Now even his wife has it, all because they were around her for too long. She has to be stopped, that plague-bearing demon has to be purged, once and for all!?

?Yeah! If we don?t, who knows what will befall our village??

?I agree, chief! We should all go right now!?

The men clenched their fists and cracked their knuckles, ready to get a move on but then?

?Enough!? the village chief said furiously, slamming his fist on the wooden floor. ?Where is your sense of right and wrong? Where is your sense of morality, people? She is but a young girl, what can she do to cause everything you?ve mentioned? What can she do to harm us? If nobody wants to take care of her, I will take her in myself. I shall adopt her and raise her as my very own. Any objections? No? Then it?s settled??

The elderly village chief folded his arms and stood up, walking towards the door.

?I object, Father??

A younger man stood up.

?You senile old man! You don?t know what you?re saying anymore! This is it; I?ve had it with you! You?re too old for this job of yours! The years haven?t been too kind on you. It?s time to move on, old man! I shall take over from here.? He turned around to face everybody else. ?Today, men, I declare myself the new chief of this village! As you can all see, my father is out of his mind, supporting this ?monster? all these years. As your new chief, my first order is to burn that house down! That old woman is out of her mind too, bringing home that monster in the first place, so I say we punish her as well. She will not receive a proper burial! We shall bury her ashes under that home of hers, together with that demon she refuses to give up on!?

?How dare you raise your voice to your own father, boy!? the village chief gazed down upon the man with his big, muscular arms folded. The younger man replied with his own angry glare as they both looked each other fiercely in the eye.

Suddenly, the tension between the two broke as the wind carried a loud scream from a young girl?

?HELP! HELP!?

Immediately, the men rushed out of the chief?s large house and headed towards the scream.

?HELP! SHE?S TRYING TO KILL ME!?

?Sakura!? one man pointed at the girl crying outside the ?monster?s hut? as they call it. ?What happened? Are you okay??

The girl stayed there, on her knees, crying, burying her face in her hands. Her ?friend? Yu stood only a few feet away, shocked at what she had just said and done.

?S-sh-she tried t-t-to? to kill me? I was just wondering about Miss Kazami?s health, I-I mean she saved Daddy?s life once and I still c-c-cannot repay h-her d-debt and all, but when I got here, s- she looked at me dead in the eye and asked me if I wanted to die? then she wrapped her arms around me, a-a-and-?

?Now, that?s enough??

?You see, people? That girl IS a monster!? the ?new? chief said. ?Now are we going to let something like that stay in the village? First she kills her own father, then her mother and now she comes hunting for us!?

?W-w-wait! I-I-I-? Yu began stuttering, unable to catch up with the current situation. Everything happened so fast?

The men held her limb from limb and pinned her against the wall. And from afar, she saw it?

A small grin appeared on Sakura?s face, hidden from view by her hair and hands as her so-called ?friend? saw it from afar, screaming for help and questioning why she did what she had done. The grin grew larger as the seconds passed, and soon it became a vicious, sadistic and evil smile. She lifted her face from her hands, revealing a pair of glowing red eyes. She then faced her back towards her ?good friend?.

Deep within Yu?s head, she heard the girl?s giggling. No doubt it was hers as she had spent a lot of time with her. She knew for sure this was her voice, and that it probably wasn?t her imagination too.

?Poor little youkai girl?? she began speaking; her voice echoing deep within Yu?s head, as if she had embedded it into her mind. ?You?re really a gullible one, aren?t you?? she paused for a short while.

And then she giggled again, before continuing, this time in a deeper, more mature voice, like that of a fully grown woman?s. ?We really are alike, huh? So much did we have in common. This was what I went through back then, too? except I had no parents??

A sudden gust blew across the entire village and Sakura?s body changed, for a split second, into a tall, slender, well-endowed woman. The blackness in her hair faded away into nothing but white. And slowly, a yellowish glow enveloped it, turning her hair blonde. She eyed Yu from the distance and grinned, before vanishing into thin air, without a trace.

But somehow, her echoing voice continued, ?If I couldn?t have a happy childhood, nobody can? Oh hey, so was it fun to see your parents succumb to this ?unknown disease? everyone spoke of? Did it feel great to have the drunk and misled father of this girl, Sakura, sexually abuse you somewhere nobody else could find you? I feel it wasn?t enough, though. I wanted to embarrass and hurt you even more. I wanted to grow even closer to you and then crush and shatter it all into tiny pieces as you watch the false hope right before you crumble into dust. Well, I guess I?d still done what I wanted to do here anyway, so? I?m sure we will meet again someday, my dear friend. I ruined your life, so you are free to ruin mine the next time we meet. You can try to end it too if you want. But, till then, have fun and enjoy... Drown in your misery, youkai girl??

Yu shook her head and realized she was back in reality, where she was being pinned onto the wall with the men of the village surrounding her. She had nowhere to run. She could only watch in despair?

?Why?? she questioned as tears filled her eyes once again. ?Why are you doing this to me? what have I done wrong? What have I done to deserve this? Please? let me go??

?What did you just say? You monster?? the man who proclaimed himself as the new chief held the girl by the hair. ?After all you?ve done, you expect us to let you be? Are you mad??

?Then what are you going to do to me?? her eyes widened.

?Simple? we?ll burn this whole place down??

Yu closed her eyes and cried, praying hard for all this to stop.

?No! Please! I beg of you! Don?t do this! Mama?s still in there!?

?Hm? And that?s supposed to matter? how??

?Please??

Yu continued praying hard for a miracle to happen. She felt it deep inside. It was just like the time when she first met the Kazamis. It was a feeling of despair, as if she knew that all hope was lost. She still couldn?t get the image of her dying mother out of her head. She was mad at herself for not being able to do anything about this. All these feelings fighting inside her head. Her body was hot, and getting even hotter every second. Her blood was boiling. Her head began aching as if it was about to explode into a million bits. Her body hurt everywhere at the same time, like thousands of needles stabbing her.

The ground beneath her feet became warm. The layer of snow that blanketed the village melted quickly, being replaced by flowers that bloomed at an impossible rate. Within minutes, it was already ?spring?.

?I?ll ask you one last time? will you please, leave me alone?? she said, slowly opening her eyes. Glowing red were they, as crimson as a rose. Her blonde hair slowly faded and turned green and then the headaches she had been suffering stopped as suddenly as they came. It has never felt so good before, she thought. The men stood there, speechless.

?Please??

The earth began shaking, at first just a mere tremble but it quickly became tremors that could probably destroy the entire village, and even the lands beyond. Giant vines broke out from underneath the earth and wrapped around the men like tentacles, slowly tightening around them and constricting them, never stopping until they blew their guts out of their mouths.

A few tried to escape, but to no avail. As soon as the now-green-haired Yu noticed, they had their feet constricted by even more vines, grabbing them and dragging them along the floor. The son of the previous chief was dragged right to Yu.

?Show me then? how are you going to burn this place down??

She then put her palm on face and smirked.

?Do you like roses? Did you know, roses have thorns? And did you know thorns can really hurt when you get poked by it? It really makes you go owwie??

And with a faint glow upon her palm, the man felt warmth emanating from his throat, and then he felt something long in the back of his throat. Slowly and torturously, it grew longer and longer, obstructing the man?s respiratory tract, making breathing extremely painful and nigh impossible. Then it stopped.

?You still haven?t answered me yet, how are you going to burn this place down? If you?re not going to answer me then? oh well??

The feeling within the man returned as the long rose stem inside his throat grew in thickness. And when it could not grow anymore because of the boundary that is the walls of his throat, it stopped.

?You called me a monster, even though I wasn?t. All of you. You are the true monsters, aren?t you? If you still insist on me being a monster, I guess I have no choice but to show you that I am, right?...?

The girl?s palm glowed green. The man prayed hard for a quick death, for all his suffering to end? and just then, thorns emerged from the stems, several inches long, impaling the man?s head from within, stabbing right through his face.

Yet another man who was caught by the leg could only lie on the ground as he watched the entire scene. He stayed still on the ground, pretending he was dead in order to escape.

Yu let out a sigh and walked away.

?Phew?? the man finally let out when the girl disappeared from sight.

?I can?t believe I can actually do all this?? Yu said, looking up into the sky and smiling. She took small steps back into the hut. ?Oh Mama, I'm sure I can save you and we will be together once again...?

Leaving the site and into the little hut, Yuuka left the man alone. He let out a sigh of relief,... that is until hi?s eyes widened as a pair of vines grabbed him by the arms and slowly drew him closer to a giant sunflower. And when his face was right before the huge yellow flower, it opens up, revealing razor-sharp-teeth-like thorns growing from within? and he was slowly chewed to death. His screams pierced the skies, only to disappear the moment after, leaving the entire village in a sepulchral silence.

?

?Mama?? Yu said, looking down at the lifeless body of her mother. ?I won?t let you die??

Putting her arms around the corpse, she prayed in her heart for hope.

?I?ll never let you go, Mama??

A pink glow was emitted from within the corpse, cocooning it with pink flower petals which slowly fused and became one single flower.

??never??

Hugging the corpse, Yu finally smiles happily now that she knows she will never again be alone. And from that day forth, she made a vow to protect the one she loved and to find that one person who took it all away from her.

Soon that land became a paradise of eternal spring. No one dared approach it, in fear of death or worse from the youkai living there. Her name was one that instilled fear into the hearts of all. Just the mere mention of it today would get even great youkai to tremble and cower in fear.

?

Yu held the pink flower over her head in a manner not dissimilar to how one would to a parasol.

"...I did it... Mama... are you awake? Mama... can you hear me? ...it's me... your daughter... Yuuka Kazami... I finally did it... now we'll be together... forever..."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:04:12 AM by CS »
Madness?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
You didn't break the character limit for posts, so we're cool.

Also: Only 2 weeks and 2 days remain!  We're getting closer and closer to the last minute.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
I'm gonna wanna kill myself when I get back from otakon huh

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »
Have you ever been in a situation that caused you to look back and wonder just how the hell you'd gotten there? For me, it was when Reimu Hakurei confronted me in response to the killing of Yukari Yakumo.

My name is Nue Houjuu. For a long time, I was something of a trickster, and eventually, it got me in trouble. Specifically, I ended up stuck underground for a thousand years. And it was just a byproduct, too; I was playing my trade on some Buddhist youkai when a bunch of crazy humans showed up and sealed their leader away in Makai. And then every other youkai there was sent underground. They didn't even know who I was; I just got sent along with them because I'm a youkai.

Anyways, I managed to find my way to the inhabited underground, whereas the Buddhists were stuck in their flying ship thing-I was standing aside from their group, so they cast the spell again to get me down there, so I ended up in a different spot. Anyways, eventually some god fed another god to a bird or something, and that created geysers and all sorts of other stuff, and it ended up releasing the Buddhist group, which went on to launch an expedition into Makai to release their leader.

I decided to have a little fun with them. They needed to collect the fragments of something called the 'Soaring Vault' in order to do it. I placed objects called Seeds of Non-Identification on as many of these fragments as I could. The seeds conceal what the objects they're attacked to are, making them appear as whatever the viewer expects to see. The Buddhists, then, still saw what the objects really were because they already knew, but others saw UFOs. I actually like the UFO image, and in fact, have learned how to form them as danmaku familiars.

The apparent UFOs drew others in to see what was going on, which ended up causing problems for the Buddhists. And they were quite capable individuals; I evaluated them personally a couple times. They actually defeated the Buddhists, but found themselves stuck helping release the Buddhist leader, Byakuren Hijiri.

Byakuren, it turns out, was formerly a human, but changed herself into a youkai in order to avoid death. She pretended to kill youkai while actually just moving them elsewhere, and was sealed upon the exposure of this deception. Upon her release, she turned the flying ship into a temple and began offering help to everyone, human or youkai. I actually benefitted from their efforts myself; they took me in after the 'incident solvers' decided to beat the shit out of me for the whole UFO thing.

Byakuren's people knew what I'd done to them when they took me in, but they took me in anyways. It actually made me feel bad about what I'd done, and such a thing was new to me. I ended up remaining at the temple and assisting them in their efforts. I came to be one of them, and over time, I even found love.

It was Byakuren herself who I came to love, and I didn't realize how much my time at the temple had changed me until I realized that she had come to love me. She never would have had such feelings for the person I'd been even just the day before her release from Makai, but I had come to care more for others. I still earned my trickster reputation, but in contrast to before, the tricks I played were, in the end, harmless. Or beneficial; for instance, there was a feuding married couple who became closer and resolved their differences as a result of going through a frightening but harmless trick of mine together.

Anyways, Byakuren and I came to love each other, and the years brought us closer and closer to each other. I never did come to share her level of devotion to helping others, but I did come to agree with her general views, although there were, of course, things we disagreed on. We never entered into a marriage; both of us felt that love should not be subject to institutional practices, but rather allowed to just be. And for a time, it was. And it remained until the end, eleven years after the two of us first confessed our love for each other. One day, things changed, and that day led to this one, with Reimu confronting me after I had killed Yukari.

"Why did you do it, Nue?"

"She had it coming," I said. "Do you know what happened at the temple yesterday?"

"Darkness began spreading from it, but then vanished. I assumed it was just an everyday bizarre Gensokyo occurrence."

"It wasn't."

Byakuren's barrier faltered, and the darkness broke through. I struck the enemy from the side, but not in time to keep Byakuren from being hit. I knocked the enemy into the wall of the temple, but the impact didn't injure her any more than it would have injured myself or Byakuren.

I looked over the woman as she picked herself up. She was actually a beautiful woman. She was fairly tall, with red eyes and long, blond hair. She wore an ornate black dress, and wielded a large sword.

The woman had attacked us without warning. We had actually seen this woman before, although she had undergone changes. Her appearance was different, as was her behavior. And her power, previously weak, had become immense. She was Rumia, Youkai of Darkness.

I positioned myself in front of Rumia. "Why are you attacking us?"

Rumia just laughed. "Oh, you don't realize it? You were so helpful to that fake, weak 'me' that had my body for so long. You're helpful to everybody, and I can't help but expect that we'd find ourselves fighting before long. I'm just taking the initiative."

"We would never attack," Byakuren said as she rose back into the air. "We do not attack people, and we fight only when necessary to protect others."

"Oh? And you haven't heard the stories of Rumia, Queen of Midnight?"

The name actually was one I'd heard before. "I've heard of the night queen of times long past, but your name was never attacked to those stories."

"Hmm? disappointing. Are these stories told now, or do you just remember them from the past?"

"They are from the past," I said. "Your deeds are known only by myself and a few others, and all of those who knew of you personally are long dead."

"Huh. Well, I suppose I'll just have to start anew."

"How bad is this?" Byakuren asked.

"Fairly," I said. "If the stories are true, this woman was a terror for a long time before she was finally defeated, and she needs to be stopped right now."

Rumia gave another laugh. "Oh, yes, you're right about that. Oh, but there's just one little thing: are you even capable of standing against me?"

I answered by forming several UFOs, green ones. I have four types, and they're color-coded; the green ones fire beams, and of the four varieties, they're the ones most useful in real combat, the others being well-suited only for danmaku battles (although the rainbow ones can cause some havoc in a real fight if used properly). Rumia erected a barrier of darkness to defend against the UFOs. I charged my trident with energy and threw it at her. She deflected it with her sword, but not before it crashed through her barrier, and as I called my trident back to me, the blasts knocked Rumia to the ground. Byakuren followed up with some beams of her own, along with the rest of the 'Devil's Recitation' move I understand she picked up from Shinki during her time in Makai.

Rumia lashed out with tendrils of darkness, ensnaring Byakuren. Or trying to; Byakuren destroyed them with a blade of light as I hit Rumia with a concentrated blast. Rumia fired blindly as she slammed into the ground again, failing to hit either of us. Byakuren opened fire again, but Rumia rose above her shots.

"Not bad," Rumia said. "You two put up a pretty good fight. You can't stop me, of course, but at least you're making this fun."

"Don't be so confident," Byakuren said. "The light of dharma will defeat your darkness!"

Another laugh. "Oh, really? Well, how about you give it a try, then?"

Darkness seemed to pour out from Rumia, quickly enveloping the entire hall in absolute darkness. I made my way to Byakuren just as the blackness reached us. I have good vision in the darkness, but this was so strong that even with her right in front of me, I could barely see her at all.

Byakuren and I positioned ourselves back-to-back and spun in a circle, looking for Rumia. "A wasted effort," she said, her voice seeming to come from everywhere. "Nothing can penetrate my darkness."

"We'll see," Byakuren said, and began to radiate a bright, brilliant light. Or that's what it was supposed to be, but in this darkness, even that light was feeble. Byakuren was putting everything she had into it, and yet she couldn't make any headway against the darkness.

More laughter. "Oh, try all you want," Rumia said. "Nothing can pierce my darkness, and soon, all of Gensokyo will know this."

That was not good. "You're going to do this to all of Gensokyo? Why?"

"Why not? I've never had a full world of darkness before. I couldn't have transformed the entire outside world into such a place, but while I was sealed, someone was kind enough to separate Gensokyo into its own world. Once I have my world of darkness, I'll have to thank whoever it was. Unless she's dead, of course."

"It won't matter," Byakuren said. "Your plan will not succeed."

More laughter. "You talk big for someone whose efforts right now are pretty much useless."

Byakuren focused more energy into her light, giving it everything she had. "Don't? think? you've won. I won't? give? up!"

"You can't do anything. You're fighting a losing battle. Your power just can't match mine."

"Don't forget about me," I said. "Byakuren's not alone here."

"True. And you were putting up quite a fight. In fact, you even may have had a chance at beating me. But that was in an unaltered Gensokyo. Now Gensokyo is becoming mine, my own world of darkness. And within my realm, nobody can stand against me."

Byakuren kept trying. "Then I'll have to? banish? your? darkness!"

Yet again, Rumia laughed. "And you still think you can? There's nothing you can do here. Your power just isn't enough to match mine."

Thick tendrils of darkness shot towards Byakuren. Byakuren's light burned them down, but Rumia kept sending energy into them, and they withstood Byakuren's light. I tried to protect her but the tendrils just ignored me, moving around and ensnaring Byakuren. I attacked them, but as Byakuren's light was failing to destroy them, I also failed.

"Nue," Byakuren said.

"Byakuren?"

"Rumia's? right. I? can't match her."

"Then what do we do?"

"We could? do it? as? one."

I understood immediately, and ran one of the tines of my trident across my hand. "Then draw upon my power," I said, and pressed my bleeding hand over Byakuren's mouth, allowing the blood to fall within it. Doing so allowed Byakuren to draw upon my power in addition to her own. That may seem overly simple for such a thing, but the action means nothing on its own. Byakuren and I are connected emotionally, and I was willing to do anything for her, as she was for me. And intent was there, too. None of those would have sufficed on its own; the link we formed requires all three.

The effect was immediate. Byakuren's light gained the brilliance it should have had all along, and the tendrils ensnaring her burned away. "Now, Rumia, I shall banish your darkness!" Her light expanded, and Rumia's darkness was pushed back. But Rumia, of course, didn't take this lying down.

Rumia's darkness couldn't penetrate Byakuren's light, but her other attacks could, and since Byakuren needed all her focus to keep her light going, she couldn't dodge very well, although she did what she could. I came to her assistance, blocking and deflecting what I could and forming UFOs to take the hits from what I couldn't. But my ability to do so was limited. Byakuren could only match Rumia's power by drawing on mine, so I was wearing out fast. Fortunately, though, Rumia's darkness went first, at least within the temple. It remained outside, but within the temple it was gone. And that was enough; the rest would fade once we'd dealt with-

The pain was sudden, and it was intense. It was not mine, but I felt it anyways, and I cried out in pain. But it was also brief; I was feeling it through the link, and the link was quickly severed. As the pain vanished, I spun around to see Rumia with her sword run straight through Byakuren's chest.

Without my power to sustain it, Byakuren's light faded, but Rumia was not currently producing darkness, so the temple interior remained free of it for the time being. I could see Rumia clearly, and I charged. I slammed into her and threw her away, then pulled her sword out and threw it at Rumia. I doubted that she could be injured by her own weapon, but the point was to remove it from Byakuren.

I expected Byakuren to be okay; she's even harder to kill than most youkai. But as I removed the sword, she fell to the ground. I dropped to the ground myself and knelt down beside her. "Byakuren! Byakuren, are you okay?"

The question was answered by Rumia. "She's dead. Not fully, yes, but it cannot be avoided now. My darkness could not penetrate your light-that was fairly impressive-but I could. And I used my sword as a conduit. The darkness is within Byakuren now, and her life is a good as over. She'll be dead in less than a minute, I'd say.

Byakuren reached out to me, and I took hold of her hand. "Byakuren! Byakuren, fight it!"

She could barely even speak. "That's? not? my? role? now. That task? passes? to you."

Byakuren stuck her other hand into the wound on her chest, pulling it out covered in blood.

"Byakuren, what are you doing?"

"I'm dying, Nue, but even so, I will not leave you."

Byakuren placed her hand over my mouth, and I swallowed her blood. Then she pulled me in, placing my head against her wound. There was more blood, and I swallowed it as well. I could feel the life fading from Byakuren, but I could also feel her power. Although it was no longer hers; she was passing it to me. Then the two of us embraced, and I didn't move until her life was gone.

I got to my feet and faced Rumia, who'd been laughing throughout the entire scene. "You killed her."

"Yeah," Rumia said, "I did. Now, where were we? Oh, yes, world of darkness."

Rumia attempted to form her darkness again, but I began to shine with a light even more brilliant than Byakuren's. What we had done had allowed her only to draw upon my power, but she had given me all of hers. She had passed to me the entirety of her being, something that would have killed her had her life not already been lost. All that she was had been added to me.

Byakuren and I had been in love for over a decade. This may seem to be a short time in comparison to the length of our lives, but it was enough. Our feelings were real, and we knew they would last. But now Byakuren was dead, and the one responsible was just laughing. Had been laughing the entire time. She was enjoying this, enjoying the pain she had caused me. I saw her, and the pain was supplanted by a desire. A desire to give her what she had earned.

In other words, I was pissed.

I charged. Rumia fired a powerful blast at me, but I brought up an energy barrier to block it. Rumia added power to her blast, but she couldn't match my power, not after Byakuren had passed hers on to me. I slammed into her and drove her into the ground. She tried to blast me away, but I hadn't dropped my barrier.

As I had done to her earlier, Rumia charged her sword with energy and used it to break my barrier. And as she did, I grabbed her sword arm and tore it off. I could not have done this so easily before, but Byakuren had enhanced her physical abilities through magic, and that had passed to me along with the rest of her being.

Rumia screamed in pain. And I didn't let up. I tore her other arm off, and then I just hit her. And hit her. And hit her more. By the time I stopped, she was beaten beyond recognition, but she was still alive. "You are the one who killed her,but there's more to this than just your actions. So tell me one thing before I kill you: what changed you?"

Even as beaten as she was, Rumia still managed a laugh. "This is me. The only 'change' was being sealed away within myself, leaving nothing but a child."

"A seal. Then it was broken. How?"

"By someone whose name I'm sure you know. And probably the only one who could to it, too. It was too strong to break, but what is a seal if not simply a barrier between the world and that which is sealed? A seal is a barrier. A border."

A border. That meant? "Why? Why would she release you?"

One last laugh. "I didn't ask. So, are you going to kill me or what?"

I thrust my trident through her neck and ripped her head off.

"Yes."

"Rumia is the one who killed Byakuren," I said, "but Yukari is the one who was responsible."

"And that's why you killed her," Reimu said. "Fine. Let's move on to the how."

"Oh, that was fairly simple. She has all kinds of nasty border tricks she can use, right? Even down to manipulating the border between life and death. She can recover from fatal blows, and she can kill an enemy in the same manner. The way to kill her, then, is to take her by surprise and make sure that your first hit kills her instantly."

"She would have known you were approaching. She would have sensed you."

I nodded. "She did. And we did speak before I killed her. But do remember that illusions are sort of my specialty."

"And you expect me to accept that? She would have known if she was seeing an illusion. She would have sensed it."

"And she was, I think, just as certain of that as you seem to be. Which, of course, I was able to use to my advantage. She didn't think I could fool her, and before Byakuren's death she would have been correct, but with the power Byakuren gave me, that changed."

Yukari was waiting as I approached. "Ah, Nue. What can I do for you?"

"You can stop pretending that you don't know why I'm here."

"Oh?"

"Cut the shit," I said. "You're the one who broke Rumia's seal."

"Well, not really. The seal remained intact; I just shifted things to move what was within it out."

"I don't care about the details. You're the one who did it."

"Indeed I am."

"Why?"

"Why not?" Yukari replied. "I thought it'd be interesting. I never encountered Rumia in her 'Queen of Midnight' days, you see. I'd heard the stories, of course, but that's all. I was quite curious to see if they were in any way accurate."

"Boredom? You did it just because you thought it would be interesting?"

"Of course. And it was, although she was defeated sooner than I'd expected. It was good while it lasted, though."

"That's all it was to you? Just a piece of fucking entertainment? Your little show got Byakuren killed!"

"Yes, it did. I didn't expect someone who'd fight to kill, I'll admit. I've just gotten so used to danmaku, and it silpped my mind that Rumia was sealed long before the spellcard rules existed. The child that remained was used to them, of course, but the true, original Rumia was used to battles to the death, so that's exactly what she fought."

Yukari was seriously pissing me off, but I kept it under control. I had to; Yukari wasn't someone who could be beaten in a straightforward fight. "and she killed Byakuren. But you don't fucking care, do you? No, all that matters to you is that you were fucking entertained!"

"Well, yeah. Isn't the self what everyone thinks about first? Even you aren't angry because Byakuren died; you're angry because her death also hurt you."

"You're wrong. Maybe I used to just think about myself, but not now. Not after knowing her. But you don't care."

"And just what, exactly, do you plan to do about it?"

I did not answer her with words. I answered her in the form of decapitating her by throwing my energy-charged trident through her neck. She had made a mistake; the one she had been talking too was not the real me. She had expected me to come, and I used that against her. I placed a Seed of Non-Identification on a familiar, and since I was what she expected to see, I was what she saw. And thanks to Byakuren's power, I was able to energize the familiar in a way that would fool Yukari's senses into thinking that the illusion was real. I was able to channel my voice thorugh my familiar, too, and since Yukari expected to see me speaking in conjunction with saying things, that's what she saw. The illusion was where her focus was, which allowed the real me, fooling her senses again-once more thanks to the power from Byakuren-to sneak in behind her and take her by surprise.

At one time, Reimu would have attacked me without hesitation, but ever since a similar attitude had come within a centimeter of getting her friend Marisa killed, her attitude had changed, and violence was now something she avoided if at all possible. So instead of attacking, she asked me a question: "So what now?"

"I'm the only one left," I said. "Shou, Nazrin, and Ichirin were killed by Rumia. Murasa was already dead, but it was her devotion to Byakuren that anchored her to this world-no pun intended. When Byakuren died, Murasa joined her in passing to the next life."

"Right," Reimu said. "Um, that doesn't really answer my question. What are you going to do now?"

"I am going to continue Byakuren's work in her place. It's what she would want."

"Yeah, but she wouldn't have wanted you to kill anyone."

"We always did disagree on the issue of redemption. She believed that anyone could redeem herself. I, on the other hand, think that while that may technically be true in that every soul has the ability to be redeemed, some people simply aren't willing. Some people will simply never change, and when one of those people causes problems, removal is the only solution. But that is not the kind of thing I will be doing. I'm going to restore the temple and lead it in her place. Is that going to be a problem?"

It may be hard to imagine Reimu just accepting that, but more that Marisa's almost-death had happened to her in the past eleven years, and she had changed considerably. "Not if it's all you do," she said. "But I'm warning you: if I have to confront you again, I'll have no choice but to assume you're one of those people who won't change, and that you'll just keep on being problematic. And if that happens, well?"

"I'm not concerned with what you think," I said. "I am going to carry on Byakuren's work, and that's that."

"Then do it. Just make sure I don't have to confront you again."

And there's my entry. I really want some good feedback, so yeah, this is a good opportunity. I'd expecially like feedback on the fight scene, since I always feel that I don't do those very well (and Orphan's going to have the next three chapters in a row with big fight scenes, so yeah).

Anyways, there are a few things in my story here that could count as the 'accomplishment' that's the theme for the contest, but the one I had in mind from the start was the killing of Yukari; the rest of the story grew out of the questions of why and how.

Also: Yes, I do think that Gods Bound By Rules (the second music track I linked to) is an excellent theme.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:29 AM »
Caution.  Caution.  Caution.

Deadline is approaching.

One week left!

Drakometar

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 11:40:02 PM »
Wriggle watched her friends, the other members of Team Nine, frolic about in the stream. Cirno, energetic as always, was splashing her fellow ice fairy, Daiyousei, with icy cold water from her spot in the deep end of the clear body of running water. Mystia was flying about in the air with Rumia, performing nonsensical flourishes and twirls as she shot out danmaku, Rumia dodging as the shadow youkai held her arms out to the side.

Wriggle smiled. She had followed along today, but the second the little gang of trouble-makers had arrived at their destination was the second that the boyish firefly had adamantly declared that she refused to play today, insisting that someone had be the watch guard of the little clearing Team Nine found themselves constantly playing in.

Wriggle turned her attention back to Cirno. The little ice fairy was perched on a large boulder jutting out into the middle of the stream, apparently waiting for something to pop out of the bed of pebbles that made up the bottom of the stream. Wriggle knew immediately what the headstrong leader of the team was looking for, and shouted out a little piece of advice.

?Cirno? You do know that there aren?t any frogs in this part of the forest, right?" Wriggle's smile grew to become a Flandre-esque grin. "Well, there is one, but she isn?t exactly? Uh? keen on letting you freeze her. ?

Cirno?s head shot up as her sharp little fairy ears caught Wriggle?s warning. Or at least, what Wriggle meant as warning. A figure was materializing behind the ice fairies, and as the fairy with the highest IQ of them all (Sadly, it wasn?t Cirno) whirled around, an iron hoop quickly smashed into her skull, and Daiyousei crumpled into the clear, clean waters.

?Dai!! What the he?? Cirno was about to finish her accusation, but Daiyousei?s assailant apparently had a thing for whacking ice fairies, because seconds later, the unmistakable THUD of something solid hitting something painfully hollow rang throughout the clearing.

Mystia stopped twirling. Rumia stopped throwing around holy imagery. And Wriggle?s smile grew as she beheld the figure that stood proudly before the defeated fairies.

?I heard you were all playing here from my frog friends, and I have come to take revenge for my fellow frogs!? Moriya Suwako cried, displaying a magnificent pose usually reserved for the boneheaded leader of Team Nine.

Rumia was the first to react to the goddess?s metaphorically thrown gauntlet. She reached into one of her many hidden pockets, her other hand still sticking out stiffly. ?Is that so~?? the youkai of darkness uttered her question just as she pulled out one of her spell cards.

?Yeah, is that so!?? Mystia quickly snapped to attention as the thought of avenging her fallen comrades finally made it through her shock-induced stupor, removing her hat and withdrawing one of her spell cards from it.

Suwako turned her gaze towards Wriggle, who was still lazily watching from her perch on a branch several meters away from the brewing battle.

?Aren?t you going to join, little bug?? Suwako asked testily, both hands each gripping a metal hoop. She had encountered all the other Team Nine members but this one, and although she had been informed  by Sanae, who had been told by Reimu, that while Wriggle wasn?t the worst Stage One boss out there, she did have a nasty kick.

??. Nah, I?ve got no bone to pick with you. Maybe I?ll jump in if you look like you?re going to rough up my buddies too badly, but I don?t think I?ll be doing too much today.? Wriggle responded with a lackadaisical smile and a luxurious stretch.

?Alright then, accomplices of the Foolish Frog Freezer, en garde!!!? Suwako flew into the air with a boom, shooting danmaku and flinging hoops at the two lesser youkai before they could activate their spell cards.

?What--!?? was all Mystia could manage before an iron ring smashed into her wrist, knocking the card out of her taloned hands. 

?When did we start the battle??? Rumia inquired, just before taking a bullet for the team.

Wriggle observed the battle with growing interest. The frog loli was good, Wriggle would give her that. She was excellent, in fact. She almost felt like joining. Then she remembered the anger in Suwako?s eyes as she threw out her challenge, and decided to back down. Wriggle hadn?t participated in whatever prank Cirno had played to get the Moriya Shrine angry, (Technically, Daiyousei hadn?t either, but Suwako had been more hung up over the trifling fact that the green haired girl was an ice fairy rather than the prank?) but Wriggle figured it was best to stay out of it until necessary, unless she wanted to have little hoop marks on her butt for the next few days.

As the battle unfolded before the little bug?s eyes, she noted that Suwako?s fighting style was similar to something Wriggle had seen before. And then, terrifying images came unbidden to Wriggle?s mind.

The little bug was a code name for a terrifying, superhuman assassin back during the Renaissance. The name was feared all throughout Europe, due to the fact that the bug was known for being able to conquer just about everything that anyone threw at her. It was impossible for any of her targets to survive. But then... Something had changed. Just a year of two after the Renaissance eneded, the little bug left the continent for good. The firefly had left Italy and traveled into the land known as Japan, hoping to settle into the mystical land of illusions all youkai were talking about. The ending of the Renaissance was the end of a great era for all species, leaving its mark on humanity, but forever changing the lives of the youkai in Europe. The people of the land were less gullible with science improving, and they were starting to fight back. Now the bug had gained quite a lot of reputation as an assassin during her time in Italy, and now the hunters were after her. If she reached the land of illusions, dubbed Gensokyo by youkai and their ilk, then she?d be relatively safe. The firefly would take on a new identity, a new ?ability?, and perhaps hide away her true powers and killing prowess?.

But it had not worked out that way. Wriggle broke out of her reverie to wince in memory of the beating she had received when she set foot into the place now known as Japan. There were two gods in the middle of the mainland, two gods that had not allowed her to pass, stating that she?d bring unwanted attention to their land. They had roughed her up badly, back then, and it was only through sheer cunning and ingenuity that she had made it through and made it to Gensokyo, where Wriggle had proceeded to seal away some of her abilities and hide her age, making it seem as though she were just some simple little youkai, bugging humans like the bug she really was.

Wriggle had not recognized the gods of Youkai Mountain as the goddesses that had not let her pass. They had changed so much? They looked meeker, and it appeared as though a long time without adequate faith had drained them of much of their power. It was nearly impossible for Wriggle to put two and two together until she saw Suwako?s fighting technique. She remembered the way her pure white assassin?s outfit had turned bloody that day?.

Wriggle dropped from her branch, landing in a perfect crouch. She looked down at her garb, and smiled, remembering that she had chosen clothing similar to her old uniform, more or less white top, dark pants, and weird cape.

Of course, Wriggle thought, this cape isn?t as awesome as the one I used to wear?.

A huge BOOM brought her attention back to the fight. Suwako stood over the Wriggle?s defeated friends, a nasty imprint of their bodies etched into the hard, unforgiving earth. Suwako stood over them, using one hand to lean on one of her rings, and her other hand on her hip as she regarded the sparrow and perpetually hungry idiot with disdain. Wriggle tuned out Suwako?s lecture; it wasn?t important. She concentrated on her posture and body language, and immediately, Wriggle could tell that Suwako meant to temporarily end their lives.

Youkai healed quickly, and came back to life almost immediately after death, depending on what had sent them over to be temporarily lectured by the Yama. Even so, Wriggle couldn?t let Suwako kill them. Wriggle didn?t know what happened between Mystia, Rumia, and Suwako, but she knew it couldn?t have been too bad. It was illegal to kill in a spell card battle; indeed it was practically illegal to kill anywhere at all! Even human-eating was looked down upon, even by youkai! Apparently, chicken and lamprey were much better than humans could ever hope to be?

Wriggle shook her head desperately . At best, she had about a minute before Suwako ended it all. She had to do something. The firefly flicked her wrist. A long blade of about six inches shot of the sleeve of her pure white dress shirt. Wriggle smiled.

Good thing I had the foresight to include the old hidden blade and bracer under my shirt. I miss the gloves though?SHIT, SHE?S MOVING!!

Suwako was standing upright now, and she had lifted up her hoop above her head. Wriggle nodded to herself and shot forward, aiming for a tree Suwako?s left. She reached the tree in the space of a second, and used the force from her initial impact to bounce from tree to tree until she reached the tree several meters behind the defeated couple and triumphant to-be-executioner. She hid in the leaves, watching Suwako. Thankfully, the frog hadn?t noticed, too busy was she with ending her mildly sadistic speech.

Wriggle tensed up her legs. She had never told anyone, but the reason why her infamous Wriggle Kick was so strong was because she had spent decades jumping through trees and had never seen any reason to stop.

Now, if only Suwako would lower her arm a bit so that Wriggle could get the perfect parrying position?.

THERE! Wriggle?s highly trained eyes picked out Suwako?s weak spot, and her legs, powered up by coiled magical power, kicked off the tree, shattering it as the impact propelled Wriggle towards Suwako.

Wriggle?s hidden blade caught the iron hoop straight through the middle, cutting through the metal and lodging itself into the band that made up the ring. Her free hand grasped Suwako?s.  The goddess?s eyes widened.

?Shit, should have noticed you were gone!!? Suwako?s language took a turn for the worse as she realized what was happening. Wriggle smiled grimly.

?? Nice to see you too, Suwa-hime. Been a while since you and Yasaka tried to stop me from going to Gensokyo. Bet you never thought you?d have to migrate here too, huh?? Suwako?s eyes widened even more as she realized just who she was dealing with.

?You? That assassin who was fleeing Italy? Ezio Audi??

????.. Who?s that?? Wriggle asked, any emotion petering out as her face adopted a deadpan expression.

?Eh? Oh, I got mixed up, that guy was from a video game Sanae likes, you?re the real thing, aren?t you, Guizzo??

?? Ah, I go by the English word now, not Japanese, not Italian, just English.? Wriggle pulled back, withdrawing her hands and blade and backing out. She glanced at her friends. They
had been knocked out from the impact of Wriggle?s instant movement, and had not been awake to see the exchange between Wriggle and Suwako.

?I see?. Ah shoot!!? Suwako suddenly dismissed her hoop, and smacked her fist against her palm. ?I have to get home now!! Or else I?ll miss Kanako?s rice gruel, and Sanae will yell at me!!? The goddess turned to leave, adjusting her curse-invoking hat, before realizing what bad manners that would be, seeing as she had a potential challenger behind her. Wriggle, picking up on her hesitation, waved her away, and scratched the back of her neck sheepishly with her other hand.

?Ah, no, if you have to go, you have to go. I?ve no doubt everyone else will be waking soon, and I can always challenge you again right? If? that even counted as a challenge..?

Suwako smirked. She remembered the assassin to be colder and much more focused, with an aura similar to that of an unsheathed sword. Apparently, good, young company had softened her as much as it had softened Suwako.  She smiled, and waved at the green haired girl, who nodded and turned to attend to her fallen comrades. Suwako grinned and took off into the air, chuckling all the while. The froggy loli could remember perfectly how the assassin had used their own attacks against them, as well as using the areas around her to her advantage, climbing everywhere and taking advantage of everything, including Suwako's hat and Kanako's (In Suwako's opinion) over-sized breasts. Suwako chuckled again.

Ah, man, wait till I tell Kanako, she?s going to have a ball knowing that some worthy challengers are around; she?s been getting bored lately? Fufufu.. though I could say the same for myself, ribbit?______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wriggle walked down the beautifully kept stone pavement. The green haired girl ignored the bewitching flowers and the other enchanting plants that grew along side the place as she headed towards the huge mansion about half a mile before her. Wriggle's mind drifted back to the past, about half an hour after Suwako had left the scene. Wriggle had done her best to drag her friends in the general direction of Eientei, but after she had reached the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, she had, naturally, gotten lost and eventually, Fujiwara no Mokou stepped in and helped her out by leading her over to Eientei as well as carrying Cirno and Daiyousei. Wriggle had left soon after, heading towards the home of her old friend, Kazami Yuuka.

Wriggle had not intended to head over to Yuuka's mansion at first, but something made her change her mind. The firefly recalled all too clearly the gleam in Suwako's hat's eyes as the goddess in question had left. Without doubt, she'd bring that scary purple snake.

Wriggle was not one to get scared easily, contrary to popular belief. She had a devious, cunning mind and a strong, fast body. But dealing with TWO full-blown gods was simply too much, as she had once found out. So, here Wriggle was, about to confront her fellow greenbean and longtime friend, for a favor on how to beat up two gods. Wriggle smiled.

Ah, damn! This is going to be magnificent!! Wriggle could already picture the glee in Yuuka's ruby-like eyes as she told her of what had transpired earlier that day.

Next time we meet, Suwa-hime, I won't be as polite as today, and it won't end with just a reference to the Outside World's current entertainment culture!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In celebration of the Assassin's Creed Revelations game!! Viva Touhou!!!

... First story here, hope I'm not too late. Uh... Sorry for the lateness, but... just joined a couple hours ago...? .... Sorry..?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:00:11 PM by Drakometar »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
This is the last weekend.  Time for all you procrastinators to rush for the deadline.  And for all you judges to get hype.  Deadline is Midnight PST August 7th

Those of you who have already posted your entries; thank you.  Please wait warmly as we warm up for judging.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:10:36 PM by Iced Fairy »

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »
Sorry for Procrastinating    :)

Please Enjoy

Kazuki shivered as he floated in the air about a kilometer east of the Village.  He really didn't want to be out here this early in the morning, but he needed to pass this time.  His father had been furious that he had failed the academy apprentice test, and he didn't want to think what his father would do if he failed this makeup exam.  Disown him, probably.

As the sun peaked over the horizon Kazuki spared a glance at his companions.  Mayu, to Kazuki's left, was shivering even worse than he was and he was sure it wasn't just the cold.  Mayu was the smartest novice in their class and was great at magical theory and analyzing opponents, but her danmaku was rather poor and her self esteem wasn't much better.  Kazuki had tried to bolster her confidence on the way out here by telling her how good her plan was and how much confidence it gave him.  Even Diagoro had said it was a good plan.

Diagoro, to his right, seemed completely at ease.  Kazuki wasn't surprised by this as Diagoro never seemed to care about anything, and usually slept through classes.  It was a bit surprising that Diagoro had even decided to participate at all.  Thinking about it, Diagoro had seemed to have become more interested in class ever since he had dueled with Mayu in class about two weeks ago.  Kazuki started wondering if Diagoro was just participating in the test because he had a crush or on Mayu or something.

Kazuki was jolted out of his musings by a distant shout that he couldn't quite make out.  As he looked east he saw a figure moving towards them and he realized that their target was fast approaching.  ?Remember the plan? he said to his companions, ?and we'll all be apprentices by midday!?

------------------------

Lily White was ecstatic.  It was the First Day of Spring and her sacred duty of alerting all of Gensokyo to this glorious fact was going quite well.  The few Spring-hating youkai that had tried to stop her so far were either defeated or distracted enough by her danmaku to let her continue her work.

Lily's mood darkened somewhat when she realized the human village was up ahead.  She couldn't see them yet, but she was sure there would be some Spring-hating humans there waiting to ambush her.  Four Springs ago, some Spring-hating humans had done just that, causing such a massive delay that she had barely completed her task before sundown.  Every spring after that some humans always showed up to stop her from bringing her message to the village.

Last spring though, was the worst Lily could remember.  The day before the First Day, Sunnymilk had come to her house and beaten her at danmaku, conscripting her into their ?Fairy Incidentifying Coalition.?  Lily was so worn out from this that she had actually slept through the entire first two hours of the First Day.  This, along with the delay caused by the Spring-hating humans outside the villages, had forced her to hire a couple of flower fairies to help so she could finish her task before midnight.  To add insult to injury, the next day she was attacked and defeated by the so called ?Moron of Misty Lake? who was apparently trying to defeat Sunny's ?Fairy Incidentifying Coalition? for some unknown reason.

?It'll go differently this time? Lily thought as she caught sight of the three humans blocking her path to the village.  ?This spring? she exclaimed, to steel her resolve ?I will not fail!?

------------------------

Kazuki smiled to himself as he dodged a barrage of danmaku from Lily White.  The plan that Mayu had come up with was working perfectly.  It had only taken a couple of disparaging remarks about spring to cause Lily to focus on him with her attacks.  Diagoro was attacking her left flank with a steady stream of danmaku and he could tell from the steadily increasing amount of danmaku shots aimed at Lily's right flank that Mayu was gaining confidence. It wouldn't be long now, he thought.

Just then, Lily's danmaku barrage stopped.  Kazuki shouted for joy and imagined himself in front of his father receiving his apprentice robes.  His elation turned to surprise when Lily neither disintegrated nor fell unconscious.  Instead she screamed ?I'll show you Spring-hating humans the true power of Spring!? and pulling a spellcard out of her pocket, she activated it crying ?Ice Sign: Spring Thaw?.

?I-Impossible!? Mayu exclaimed as Lily White thrust her arms forward.  ?She shouldn't have any...?.  Her words were cut off when balls of ice danmaku the size of scrying orbs came flying out from Lily with no discernible pattern.  As the chunks of ice flew at them it took all the luck and dodging skill Kazuki had to avoid them.  Mayu wasn't as lucky and took an ice chunk to the forehead, knocking her out.  Diagoro stopped his attack to dive down to catch her.  Unfortunately her weight was too much for him, and they both crashed into the ground. 

Kazuki was about to give up hope when the danmaku started to slow down, and then stop. He decided to make the most of this opportunity and charged at Lily, pelting her with danmaku.  Lily suddenly opened her arms and started firing lasers out.  Kazuki quickly realized that none of the lasers were heading for him and decided to press his attack.  It wasn't until the first laser struck one of the ice balls,  shattering it into rings of danmaku, that he realized his mistake.  As the lasers progressed, more and more of the Ice balls shattered, filling the sky with danmaku, and shattering his dreams of victory.

------------------------

After Lily White had finished her task at the village, she took off up the mountain path still flush with victory.  As she traveled, she reflected on the events of the past year that had led to her victory.  Lily had been mortified to lose to the ?Moron of Misty Lake? until the next day when she met up with Sunnymilk and the others and learned that the ice fairy had defeated all three of them at once.  Lily was so shocked that she almost missed Sunny telling her that they had convinced the ice fairy to help them get stronger and that she would be welcome to come along.  Lily had spent the next 11 months training her danmaku every day.

And now all of her hard work over the last year had paid off. As she reached the Hakurei shrine she could no longer contain her joy.  She released her feelings by bombarding the shrine with danmaku and calling out triumphantly

?IT'S SPRING!?

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2011, 03:06:35 AM »
By midnight of Sunday PST, do you mean 0:00 August 7 or 23:59:59 August 7?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »
The second.  When it ceases to be Sunday August 7th, the deadline is crossed.

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
?What are you up to now, anyway??

Marisa had just finished her preparations when she heard that question. She looked up to see Reimu coming out of the shrine with tea.

?Well,? the witch began, dusting off her hands. ?It?s summer, right? What?s the first thing that comes to mind for you when you think about summer?? She walked over to the shrine?s porch and hoisted herself up on the donation box.

?Mm...? Reimu thought for a moment. ?Watermelon??

?Well, that too,? Marisa admitted, ?but isn?t there anything else??

Reimu thought some more, then shrugged and shook her head.

Marisa sighed. ?Oh, Reimu, sometimes you need to use your brain a little more.? Drinking the last of her tea, she stood back up and turned to face Reimu with her hands on her hips.

?And? What was I supposed to be thinking about??

?Of course, the correct answer is fireworks!? Marisa proclaimed, spreading her arms out. ?You can?t end a summer without shooting off fireworks at some point! I?ll dazzle the night sky with a ton of colorful explosions you?ve never seen before!?

Reimu was not impressed. ?If I know you well enough, this is just going to be another catastrophe, isn?t it.?

?Reimu, it doesn?t look like you know me too well. I promise that absolutely nothing will go wrong,? Marisa declared. ?And besides, if everything goes right, this?ll definitely attract attention to your shrine, right??

The shrine maiden didn?t want to admit it, but she couldn?t stop Marisa once she heard that. ?Well, go on with the fireworks then! What are you waiting for??

?Actually, the sun?s just set, so it?s not as dark as I want it to be,? the witch replied, looking up at the sky. ?Oh, and I ran into Alice on my way here, and she said she?d come as soon as she prepared something.?

?Oh, is that so? I guess I can make more tea for her while we wait.?

Alice showed up a little later and gladly accepted the tea that had been prepared for her. ?Looks like everything?s in place, so I suppose we should get started now before it gets too late.? The sky certainly had gotten darker, perfect for fireworks to light it up.

?All right, then, let?s do this!? Marisa exclaimed, bounding over to the center of the courtyard where her materials were gathered. ?Get ready to be blown away by my awesome fireworks!?

?Actually, I?ve prepared a firework display of my own,? Alice said, following Marisa. ?I hope you don?t mind if I steal some of the spotlight.?

Marisa realized that Alice?s dolls were carrying their own materials and laughed. ?Sure, sure,? she said. ?But I doubt you and those little dolls of yours could come up with something better than mine!?

?Excuse me?? Alice folded her arms. ?Our fireworks can definitely match up to yours, if not surpass them!?

Marisa shook her head. ?Unfortunately, you happen to be dealing with an expert here.? She pointed to herself with her thumb. ?They call me the Fireworks Master around here, you know.?

?Hah! ?Fireworks Master?? I could be a better master of fireworks than you ever were!? Alice exclaimed.

?Of course, there?s only one way to settle this argument.? Marisa was definitely fired up now, and she could see that Alice was too. ?And that is... to have a battle of fireworks!?

?I agree. This is the only way to decide who is the true ?Fireworks Master?!?

?Uh... sorry to interrupt, but how exactly do you have a battle of fireworks?? Reimu cut in.

?Oh, Reimu,? Marisa sighed, waving the question away. ?You must learn to use your brain a little more. Looks like I?ll have to show you how it?s done!? With a flourish, she jumped on her broom and flew into the sky.

?Pay attention, Reimu,? Alice said. ?Don?t let that incompetent user of fireworks fool you with her petty explosions. You?ll have to watch a true Fireworks Master to learn how it?s really done!? With that, she also took to the air in pursuit of her adversary, with her many dolls in tow.

?Well? Why don?t we get started, then?? Marisa said, looking straight into the eyes of her foe.

?With pleasure.?

Many dolls seemed to appear out of nowhere as Alice began her first attack. Bullets of many colors filled the air, heading straight for Marisa.

?Whoa! Starting off with a bang, huh?? Marisa wove through the array of bullets and shot out some high-speed projectiles of her own.

Alice was forced to use some dolls to block the oncoming bullets, but new ones quickly came to replace them. She continued her constant multicolored barrage, using dolls as shields when necessary.

Marisa swore under her breath. ?Looks like I can?t just play around,? she muttered. She focused on dodging until she found an opening for her attack.

?Are you ready? ?Cause this is when I get serious!? She whipped out a slip of paper.

?Polaris Unique!?

Upon declaration of the spell card, a large blue star shot out of Marisa?s hands, headed straight towards her opponent.

Alice had expected something more large-scale than a single star, but she couldn?t underestimate Marisa just yet. She was able to graze it with ease, and looked back towards Marisa as if to ask, ?Is that all??

Marisa grinned. ?Now!? she yelled, and the star exploded.

Alice was able to look back just in time to see the brilliant firework explode and dodged. ?That was close,? she managed to say before Marisa interrupted her.

?Here comes another one!?

Marisa had already shot the next firework at her, but Alice pulled a doll over to take the hit instead. She was able to dodge the next few attacks with ease, but she knew she wasn?t going to make any progress with the tactic she was using.

?Soldier of Cross!?

The spell card declaration was spontaneous, and Marisa was definitely caught by surprise. Dolls extended from Alice to every direction. When Marisa looked closer, she realized that the dolls were wielding sparklers as weapons.

The witch couldn?t help but chuckle. How could those tiny things come even close to rivaling her own fireworks? None of them really came near her so she shot another exploding star to keep her enemy entertained.

?Don?t underestimate me just yet!? Alice exclaimed. She launched another set of dolls, and this time all were headed in her general direction. Marisa was about to graze past them when she realized?much too late?that the sparklers were more intense than she had expected.

?Whoa!? the witch shouted as sparks flew onto her, singeing her clothing. She looked back at Alice, expectant for more dolls with sparklers, but noticed the smirk on her face much too late.

Both sets of dolls had turned a complete 180 degrees and were returning. Marisa tried to get away, but was too slow and got another fistful of sparks in her face.

?I?m still not done!? Alice called, the triumph in her voice evident. She created another cluster of dolls... but this time they weren?t carrying sparklers. The dolls had arranged themselves in a large sphere with Alice at its center, and Marisa had somehow gotten inside it.

?Suicide Pact!?

The doll maker declared her second spell card, and the dolls immediately began to grow white-hot. Marisa swore loudly when she realized what was going on, and sped out of the sphere of dolls as fast as she could.

The dolls exploded in a brilliant array of multicolored fireworks. Marisa had to admit that this was a step up from anything either of them had produced before.

In the second she took to think about that, Alice had already closed in and summoned another sphere of doll-fireworks, about to explode at any moment.

Marisa cursed again and did her best to dodge. ?All right, then, time to bring out the heavy artillery!? Once she was in the clear, she whipped out her second spell card and shouted.

?Shoot the Moon!?

Alice?s second set of dolls had exploded, but this didn?t concern Marisa. She sent some of her magical familiars below her while shooting a wave of star bullets to distract Alice. Just as the doll maker tried to close in, the familiars she had sent down activated.

There was a small hiss as a firework shot out of each one. Alice had already figured out what was going to happen, but she was still unable to get out of the way fast enough.

Boom. The fireworks all exploded at varying heights, creating a brilliant shower of blue and green. Marisa, already setting up the next wave of fireworks, flew away to get some distance between her and Alice.

But the puppeteer was hot in pursuit, with her spell card still active. She was able to create another group of doll-fireworks, which exploded in a shower of rainbow colors almost simultaneously with Marisa?s blue and green explosions.

Alice couldn?t tell if her attacks hit Marisa or not, but she herself was not unscathed. She knew she?d have to end this quickly, or else risk losing.

?Well, I suppose it?s about time to get this battle over with,? she said.

?I agree. There?s no reason to drag this on for much longer, right?? Marisa said, grinning. ?I already know what I?ll be using to end this!?

?If you?re going to bring your best out, then I shall do the same,? Alice responded. She pulled out her last spell card at the same time Marisa got hers.

?Let?s do this!? they both said in unison.

?Return Inanimateness!?

?Deep Ecological Bomb!?

The resulting display of fireworks could be seen all throughout Gensokyo.

?Unfortunately, it doesn?t seem like I have any choice but to give Marisa the victory.?

?Well, I hate to say it, but it looks like Alice gets the win this time.?

They both said this at the same time as they landed back on the shrine courtyard. Surprised, they exchanged looks before bursting into laughter.

?So I guess we can agree on a tie, right??

?Yup, it looks like it?s a tie this time.?

?Hold it, hold it!? Reimu exclaimed, walking up to the two magicians. ?You guys said you would be doing a ?battle of fireworks?, but wasn?t it more just a regular spell card duel??

There was an awkward pause as both of them remembered the reason for their battle in the first place.

?Well, obviously my fireworks were far better!? Marisa declared. ?It should be clear I am the most fit to be the Fireworks Master!?

?I beg your pardon? I?m the one who should be the Fireworks Master!? Alice retaliated. ?My fireworks definitely surpassed yours by a fair amount!?

?Ha! Don?t be silly! Your tiny little explosions were no match for mine!?

?Hmph! Mine overshadowed yours in both size and captivation!?

Reimu sighed. They were probably going to bicker on like this for the rest of the night, but she was fine as long as their fireworks managed to attract some attention to the shrine in the end.

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:23 AM »
Sorry for being very late. Had to scrap multiple story lines just to get something that could reasonably have both a start and an end.

My original intention was to start with the middle of a story and ?grow out?, but I realized that this plan sprung from my inability to make satisfactory beginnings and endings. So it?s time to make something with a beginning and ending.

Conquest

?I?m going out, mistress.?

?Take care, Youmu!?

Youmu Konpaku stifled a wince at the currently too-loud voice of Yuyuko Saigyouji. Her new ?ears? were only two weeks into their one-month acclimatization phase. The actual organ modifications were the easiest part of the process: after a decade working out the occasional teratoma, Eirin had managed to create safe and predictable ways to grow almost any tissue type on almost any substrate. Youmu stole a glance at her ghost half, noting the gossamer pattern of vat-grown neurons laced around a tangle of mechanisms both fantastic and mundane. A primitive phased array radar sunk upwards from its place at the surface of the wisp?s tail to the middle, somehow seeming more solid inside despite the blurring effect of the surrounding spirit.

Of course, said modifications were simply somatic. They created the potential for the expansion of Youmu?s mind, but needed training. The difference between some nerves flayed across folds of tissue stuffed in some cavities and a working brain is closest to the difference between a fallow field and a farm.

At first, Youmu relied on Yukari?s manipulation of the border between noise and information.

Such dependence on others was something Youmu?s pride as a warrior could not bear. She accepted Eirin?s games of life because Youmu herself had studied such paths long ago, when the Alchemist was just another human resident of Gensokyo. Yukari was the living embodiment of the ?black box?, offering no explanation for her powers better than input and output. The Alchemist was the only person who ever claimed any degree of understanding of Yukari?s ability, and it was not above her to lie through her teeth.

Youmu was already floating down the stairs to the gate of the netherworld when she realized that her feet had not touched the ground since the first step down. She alighted on a step in the middle before leaping the rest of the way to the barrier.

Youmu?s ears not only registered the howling of the wind but also the velocity of her and the wind relative to the ?ground? of the underworld. The hum of the barrier between the worlds of death and life coiled into her mind through her ears before untangling into the convoluted miles of Sanskrit and ancient Chinese text supplemented by cryptic  notes made in hiragana by some long-dead gaggle of monks fond of wordplay.

As the barrier opened up to allow her passage, sections of the text began to light up as the sounds changed. In what untrained ears would interpret as an unceremonious belch, the barrier confirmed the identity of the approaching entity, ascertained her purpose, ejected her from the afterlife, and ensured that there was no other exchange of substance between the diametrically-opposed realms.

Youmu descended quickly, landing without a sound in the courtyard of the currently-deserted Hakurei shrine. She noted a scroll tucked into a crevice carved in a boulder. Actually reading the scroll was unnecessary, but Youmu picked it up and unrolled it on a whim. Her appointment in the afternoon confirmed, she left to Eientei to visit one of her teachers.

===

Eientei was relatively quiet; though an intense focus of magic, it was sufficiently well-hidden to avoid being swarmed in droves by traditional worshippers. Some of the ?rabbits? on patrol (Youmu knew some were other creatures adopting rabbit-ears out of convenience) nodded in acknowledgement as Youmu neared; she had served as an apprentice to Eirin and had even administered some ?basic first-aid? to various youkai during the few crusades and numerous youkai-hunts that followed the collapse of the Spellcard system.

Youmu walked through the hallways as if it was her home. Yuyuko had allowed her to stay for the first 200 years after the beginning of the Transmutation to research counter measures and, when countermeasures became a lost cause, damage control. Even 300 years later, Eientei remains a major research hub, with apprentice kappa (and the occasional kisume and tengu) engineers and doctors making a strange pilgrimage through the convoluted *gap* express for a chance to study under the famed Dr. Yagokoro.

Said doctor was finishing a lecture on neural modification when Youmu finally found her. Youmu planned on entering after the students left. The plan, naturally, fell apart as said students filed out of the lecture room.

?By Kanako! Is that the Knight of the Sakura??

Youmu winced again, out of surprise instead of discomfort. She did not expect a centuries-old novelization of her exploits to remain popular. Thankfully, a stern look from Eirin sent the students scurrying to their next class. Youmu stepped into the now-empty room and took a seat in the front row. Eirin returned to the podium before addressing her guest.

?Do you have the necessary items?? Eirin inquired, smiling softly. Her impatience was masterfully hidden, but Youmu?s 50 year apprenticeship taught her to detect such whims.

Silently, Youmu reached into her spirit half and drew a longsword. The blade was almost unbearably simple, having a side profile little more than an isosceles triangle tapering to a 4 degree point. The cross-section was rhomboid along the entire length of the blade. Youmu recalled the painstaking effort taken to ensure that the blade remained untouched by living hands during its construction, with each step of producing each component spread amongst various robotic implements. Construction was a mad gamble from the start, but the weapon in her hand was the most deserving item in Gensokyo deserving of the epithet ?unknown to God?.

Indeed, the item she drew was but another illusion, an assembly of forms that she assembled in a state of meaninglessness, creating a shape with no thought to its nature. Eirin too saw this, and murmured confidently.

?Good. I take it you have plenty of time before your appointment??

?Yes,? replied Youmu.

?Are you going to cut yourself??

The question struck Youmu with surprising force. Better than anyone else, she understood the power of Hakurouken, the blade that hung at her hip. The one conundrum that haunted her was how its ability to cut hesitation would affect her. If Youmu was fully human, it would acknowledge her as a being provisionally free of the supernatural and simply kill her. If Youmu was truly supernatural, then it would sever all the bonds that held her from enlightenment.

However, in her studies and travels, Youmu had seen the limitations imposed upon the supernatural by the mundane. She did not know if ?enlightenment? was a permanent state. She remembered the immortal words of the Alchemist:

?If you can expand your mind from here to Nirvana, what?s to say you cannot go farther??

To Youmu, the rest of supernatural society seemed unbearably slow at times. Her impatience, mellowed through centuries of meditation, asserted itself through fear.

Her trembling hands already rested on the hilts of her swords. Without action, doubt would paralyze her.

Youmu left the manse proper and found a clearing in the bamboo forest. One slash cut five culms from their roots. The falling lengths also disrupted nearby bamboo, creating a maelstrom of movement.

Youmu danced through the falling leaves and swaying branches, parrying or cutting those that she could not evade. After approximately two seconds of motion, she deliberately placed herself in the path of the first five culms and readied her blades.

Three were cut into more or less regular rectangular slats. The remaining two continued on their paths.

Almost simultaneously, the tips of the bamboo lengths were reduced to mulch. Youmu was already moving to greet the observer who had arrived at the scene before the destruction of the first three culms.

?Excellent,? exhaled Eirin, ?but I am certain you began this dance with the longer blade in the other hand.?

Youmu nodded once before leaving.

===

The shrine grounds were crowded by the time Youmu returned. She still had to stifle a wave of revulsion when she glanced at said guests.

They were strange things with a design fixated on the number five. From a central cylinder emerged five appendages. The four longest similarly sprouted five appendages each, while the shortest was the site of five orifices and two glassy apertures.

In short, these beings were little different from humans, and yet they seemed intrinsically ?wrong? to Youmu. These beings seemed to perpetually bow, as if prostration before greater powers came naturally. Their bustling life was in many ways similar to the human society that preceded them, which made what Youmu saw as a perversion of human culture all the more heart-wrenching.

History and venture were all but dead; the Miare line petered out before meeting its end at the hands of zealots. Shopkeepers squabbled whatever was produced by the constant effort of farmers who worked the land to the letter of the example set by the original humans. Even in death, these creatures were close to will-less, choosing the necropolis of their exclusive god over the uncertainty of the cosmic cycle of reincarnation even if it meant being eternally seared by the light of hatred.

Said god wore the form of the 11th shrine maiden of Hakurei after Reimu. Yukari had kept the golden days alive through history, but Youmu?s blood boiled at the implied insult. The extraordinary miko?s descendants deserved far better than the torturous month in which the god forced out every possible root of identity in order to place its own throne within their bodies. The deity looked upon Youmu with undisguised contempt.

?So the champion of the youkai is here. Perhaps your elders wish to jest. Bow and we shall be merciful.?

Youmu stood her ground, unfazed despite the might of the deity dwarfing her own.  The routine had been established as a result of a series of stalemates. Youmu would issue a challenge near the town. Any takers would duel her in the shrine?s courtyard and have their souls taken back to Yuyuko. This was Hakurei?s most efficient method of eliminating personal initiative.

The challenger straightened up as it stepped into the ring. Youmu could almost imagine that being human again, some swarthy young man eager to prove his might despite the futility of any sort of identity.

Yet this moment was over when he slumped to the ground, dead. The extracted soul was almost completely tranquil, lacking all but the most basic distinctions between  self and other. Strong desires created a semblance of activity but no movement.

In that moment, a tear appeared in the air above Youmu. A hand holding a golden pin emerged, followed by a blonde woman with purple eyes.

"Congratulations . You have harvested your hundred thousandth human soul. Here's a badge." Yukari's voice was cheerful, as if the middle of hostile territory was no more than an amusing tourist locale.

Youmu raised her hand out of habit. When Yukari neared, Youmu grabbed her wrist.

===

The journey through Yukari's gap lasted only ten seconds, but Youmu exited feeling as if she had been brought one step closer to eternity. She shook her head once, reached inside her ghost half, and drew the unidentifiable sword.

"I, Youmu Konpaku, accept the right of succession."

Yukari giggled before replying, "Lay down your blade. This will not be decided by combat."

Youmu complied grudgingly. A pair of chairs had conveniently appeared nearby. Yukari sat and gestured to Youmu, indicating that she should sit as well.

Yukari launched into a monologue.

"My first successor achieved the original vision of Utopia. Through judicious management and unbending will, she asserted here her dream of equality. Under the power of the spellcard rules, she united Gensokyo under one law. Her flaw was that she did not delve deep enough; her dream was undone by the sands of time unleashing what she never uncovered.

My second successor created something far more fantastic. She rode on the bleeding edge of both magical and non-magical advances, using their differing properties to make leaps and bounds. However, she finally betrayed fantasy, abandoning it in favor of the far more fickle and fantastic force of reality. She worked to unleash the tide of progress among humanity, resulting in a fantastic outside world for which one of our heartbeats is an eon. The result of such changes in human minds led to the Transmutation. You know her as the Alchemist.

My third successor played with time, attempting to revive golden ages long gone. This did nothing; for golden ages are all gilded, times that successors remember with nostalgia despite glaring flaws.

You are the fourth. What is your choice?"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:58:15 AM by LogosOfJ »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »
And that's deadline!
Thank you to all our participants again.  Our judges will begin rating and reviewing now.  As before we'll announce the winner, then I'll begin PMing reviews as we compile them.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Thank you kindly for your patience while we've been tabulating our results.  It took a little longer then normal, partially because the judges had things they were doing, and partially because we ended up with a tie between Polaris and Himiko.  You'd think that wouldn't happen with five judges....

Anyway that's far to complicated, so we called on a tiebreaker judge to sort the matter out.

The judgment is in, and the winner is... Himiko!  Congratulations!
Your story was charming, well written, and closer to prompt in the eyes of the judges.  Reimu and Meira's tea party flowed fairly nice.  Also it was more canonical then thought at first glance.  Enjoy your Wordsmith title.  You earned it.

We'd also like to congratulate Polaris.  You did a good job with Marisa and Alice's contest, and the story flowed quite nicely.  It was a strong contender for the title.

I'd like to give personal congratulations to more of our contestants, but most of the entries in this batch were quite good, with only one flaw stopping them from pushing their way into the front runners.  So instead of listing off every writer one by one I'm going to give a group congratulations to all of our writers, then get to work on getting you the reviews, so you can see exactly what our judges liked and didn't like.

A great thank you to our contestants and judges, and another round of applause for our finalists and our winner Himiko.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
Congratulations, Himiko, and Polaris as well~

And good job to all the writers that entered this contest.

And thank you, Iced and your team of judges, for hosting this contest, it's a wonderful addition to PSL!

I like breaking ties  :3
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:30:33 PM by Sakanamoto-san »

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Congratulations, Himiko! You too, Polaris. :3

Thanks to Iced and all the other judges. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I appreciated this opportunity.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »
Congratulations Himiko.

Can not wait to get wait to read my review though.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
WOW! Well done Himiko! (Claps) I'm pretty happy for you right now; it really was a nice read too. Good job! XD

Having said that, everyone else had some pretty good stuff too. It was nice reading through so much. Everyone did really well; so good job everyone.

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
Congrats to the winner!

Now to wait for them reviews.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Drakometar

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
Congrats to all! Nice stories Polaris, Himiko! I'm glad that I was able to participate with the rest of you all, though my story was weak and pitiful. Congrats yet again!

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »
The Yama has spoken! Gratz Himiko and Polaris, and everyone else. I had fun writing for this and reading the other entries. :wikipedia:

Now to await the reviews... :munch:
Madness?