Author Topic: Let's Politics! - Issue 1: Hydras. I -hate- Hydras.  (Read 52236 times)

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
Let's Politics! - Issue 1: Hydras. I -hate- Hydras.
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »
And I'm totes serious about it, because while Diplomacy has that delicious warmongering nonsense about it, what I'm about to suggest is an IRC game (SHOCK AND AWE) of about one hour or two per session. It'd be fun if you had the time for it. It's a game for 3-6 people, with one of them being the mod. So realistically, 3-5 people. For the purposes of gameplay fun, I might just make the President a player, though, but their role will be very minor... anyway!

What's the goal of the game and what is it, you ask?

The game is called Executive Decision, and the goal of the game is to advance your political agenda by convincing the President. You do this by real life arguing over an issue, presenting your opinions and options, or ASSERTING (game move) that a specific outcome would follow your actions. The President assigns you a party to be with or a position (Secretary of Treasury, etc), and it is expected you pretend to be just that and further the agenda of your party 2 da max etc.

Along the way, as time passes, new information rolls in. The President makes his decision at the end of the session, and if he picks a decision that is negative for an agenda you oppose, gain a point! If you ASSERTED things and it's true, you also get a point! If it was beneficial for your agenda, guess what! Another point!

A download to the rulebook is here, and the author offers it for free on his site so it's totes legal. It's actually two files, as you'll see the last few pages are mirrored, but as that is important for gameflow, I excluded it and ask you not look for it until after the game! (I'll even provide it then etc)

Anyway, after all sessions, whoever has the most points wins the game. I'd like to run a three session game, so three times two hours on different days, and see how it works out if at all. Obviously needs some adjustments for IRC action which I will no doubt make, and it requires some active time, but if you perform well your country will flourish!!

We can adjust flavour to be Touhou if you want but obviously I'd need some help rewriting flavour to that if people deem it necessary, otherwise it'll be standard Executive Decision etc.

So from just that, are any people interested in a game of political shenanigans? :D

EDIT: It's actually one hour per issue, so one hour of debates and reactions etc. Two hours if you feel you need the extra time, but I imagine we should run one hour first and extend it to more in later sessions if it seems necessary.

EDIT2: We could also potentially play this over the forum, but then it'd require a longer time-span. I'm totes fine with it if it gives people more time to write out eloquent arguments and such, but the danger of fast movement could be lost. Momentum, and all. If a majority prefers PlayByPost, I'm prepared to run with that and prepare the game for it, and it's certainly doable, but it loses a little flair.

I'll even let people hydra this game if they want to. :V
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:31:42 PM by Bardiche »

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
Re: Pass that Proposal - Let's Politics!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »
I'd be up for a forum game, if anyone else is.

Would agendas and such be assigned or not?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:44:18 PM by Momijibot »

Bardiche

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:50 AM »
I'd probably randomise three agendas and give you a pick of one of them in addition to your standard agenda, unless you're the agriculture dude who can pick one from any, then be presented the three agendas etc. Just to avoid everyone going for Voter's Satisfaction or something!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
Will you marry me?

Discuss

(Not really :V)

Bardiche

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
Pesco has suddenly requested someone to marry him! The council is in an uproar- marriage? On my internets? It shouldn't be more likely than people think. The conservatists have already begun to cry foul, while the progressive parties push you to take charge of this issue by immediately approving of the marriage. With the internets in a turmoil and the council arguing fiercely among itself, it's difficult which decision carries the most support as yet. What will you do?

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
Pesco has suddenly requested someone to marry him! The council is in an uproar- marriage? On my internets? It shouldn't be more likely than people think. The conservatists have already begun to cry foul, while the progressive parties push you to take charge of this issue by immediately approving of the marriage. With the internets in a turmoil and the council arguing fiercely among itself, it's difficult which decision carries the most support as yet. What will you do?

As the Secretary of Defence, I'd suggest we buy more tanks and airplanes to take part in the wedding procession.

Bardiche

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
A new development has occured! The neighbouring forums have caught wind of the spectacle and have begun covering the event in their local news bulletins and threads. Your own forum population is still in turmoil, and it's still impossible to tell a majority despite your moderators' best attempts. But the neighbouring countries are clear and adamant - say No to the marriage.

The neighbouring countries expect you to make a newsbulletin, and their moderators will scourge your forums in thirty minutes. There are four things you could do.

1) Tell 'em to suck it. Just sod the hell off and mind your own business. Refuse to comment about the situation.
2) Denounce the marriage. Marriage? In my MOTK? I think not.
3) Accept the marriage. And all the other forums can still suck it, but you're not swinging the banhammer around.
4) Ban the enemy. Obvious.

Naturally, whatever you tell the other forums doesn't necessarily need to be what you're doing, but you best discuss with your council. The other forums expect your response in thirty minutes, after all.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
As Secretary of State, I issue a statement that foreign moderation will be seen as interfering with our forum's internal affairs.  As such, it is a violation of our sovereignty, and will not be tolerated.  Tell 'em to suck it.

Don't lynch me.

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
As Secretary of State, I issue a statement that foreign moderation will be seen as interfering with our forum's internal affairs.  As such, it is a violation of our sovereignty, and will not be tolerated.  Tell 'em to suck it.
Tell them to suck it with MORTAR CANNONS.

Bardiche

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
That's the spirit! See, we can totes get a fun game going if we get enough participation~

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and make an assertion that if this got running, it would be awesome.

Although people will be tempted to cheat and read the scenarios, so I'd suggest making our own and having the writer of the scenario act as president.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:17:48 PM by Momijibot »

ActionDan

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
Ya, I'd love to do this.  But I'd prefer it as a forum game (because I somehow can't chat it up in IRC)

Don't lynch me.

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Just a thought-Should we advertise this on the IRC channel or not?

Bardiche

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »
I'll go lobby in MotkTown for suckerscandidates.

And yeah, I figured I should write some scenarios myself and run as the President for the first bit. Of course, that means I'll know the best actions beforehand, but it means you could potentially write-in a solution. :P

Probably use 48 hour days then, and present the choice options at set time intervals whenever possible. Thankfully the original game has variable times at which the new information rolls in so I can be a badass and do just the same. :toot:

Bardiche

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »
RIGHT, so there's interest on IRC.

So sign-ups: I'll permit Hydras as I don't really care for game balancing in that respect, and it's STILL down to the best arguer. Hydras may be up to five people with one spokesman.

All the original rules are in play with three differences:

1) At the start of the game, before anyone has been granted a "role", you will all VOTE: someone to President. Whoever has second-most votes will become Vice President. This is not debatable. You must /in for President to be permitted to run for President, and you cannot vote someone who has not /in'd for President.

Even if you do not plan to participate in the game, you may vote someone President. :V Votes are tallied when sign-ups close, which close upon reaching a player count of 6 or until 24 hours have passed after the first vote has been cast, whichever happens la

2) The flavour is not America. You get to play as yourself as a member of a cabinet in Kaleidoscopedia, which is a tiny country somehwere in the middle of nowhere, to which you got transported by MAGIC or some such. I ain't gotta explain it etc. All functions will still be titled the same, though.

3) I'll permit issue-submissions. You may submit me an issue you'd like the Executive Board to discuss and decide upon. Please provide all information you deem relevant to creating the issue.

I'll write the issues myself and act as moderator for this game, assisting the President/Vice President where necessary. I'll handle all the logistics, the President need only concern himself with choosing what is best for Kaleidoscopedia. Its future rests in your hands.

The game ends when someone reaches 12 points, or interest has died, whichever happens first.

4/6 signups:
Momijibot
ActionDan
PX/K4me
Lambda

0 President Candidates
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:29:48 AM by Bardiche »

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
/confirming sign up

Will we be using a private IRC channel?

Bardiche

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
We'll just do it on the forums, Momi. ;)

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
Kitten4PX hydra gogogo

ActionDan

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
/confirming that you have spelled my handle correctly

I can play by myself, but if anyone wants to Hydra with me, well that's twice the fun.

Don't lynch me.

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:59 PM »
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Bardiche

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
Lambda's gone /in and all, which means we're up to 4/6.

Which means I'll probably pick one of you at random to be the President. >:( Because I already know best-case scenario and attempts to convince me from doing what is best FOR EVERYONE!! may not work out.

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
We'll just do it on the forums, Momi. ;)

:*

Also where is a clapping emoticon when you need one

Also

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 02:26:54 AM »
/in for President.
Vote Zakeri; He's scum :]

Besides, I've been waiting for an argument game where I can actually just give in to my basest whims and just do what everybody else tells me to do.

Bardiche

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
I have one more spot, then, and barring other candidates for President, Zakeri will become President. :V

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:15 AM »
/in to hydra with whoever wants Shadoweh first. <^_^> Politics isn't really my thing but I can banter!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

ActionDan

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:53 AM »
How could I possibly refuse that offer?  I accept the burden!

Don't lynch me.

Shadoweh

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
Anyone, anyone at all! Any person who counts as a real person!
Oh well okay~ I-it's not like I wanted anyone in specific, don't misunderstand!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:09 AM »
Fuck that noise.
Hydras are OP.
/in solo

Additionally, I shall be running for President.
My first action will be to deal with all these hydras.
How, you may ask?
Simple. I have but one word as an answer.
Nukes.
A solution to all problems can be achieved with a sufficiently large explosion.
As president, I shall supply these explosions.
So vote for me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:56:46 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Shadoweh

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 04:59:33 AM »
<@Keine-tan> I want to hydra with someone! ^_^
Dan, I suggest we take Keine up on her gracious offer.