Author Topic: Looking for excessive (but constructive) criticism  (Read 3180 times)

Looking for excessive (but constructive) criticism
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at a danmakufu script.  (Aside from figuring out the simplest uses for each create shot/laser in v0.12m).

I know the code isn't great, so I'm looking for ways to improve it (either by reducing the amount of code, or other suggestions).  Really anything would be helpful.
Also, I'm still not that great at Touhou, so I'm not so good at judging difficulty.  Is this even hard for you guys?

http://pastebin.com/8JytpRKq    Large code goes in pastebin... -Hele
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:44:01 PM by Helepolis »

Re: Looking for excessive (but constructive) criticism
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
Coding: My own coding is atrocious, so I can't really comment much here. It's probably not necessary to define all those variables every frame though (the unchanging ones can go above @Event with the global variables). Also, since the kunais and the moving aren't really directly related, it's a little weird to increment movecounter every time a kunai is shot rather than increasing it every frame and having the case statements 10x as large.

Difficulty: At first thought it was going to be quite easy, then the boss started to move and it was about right, then the boss moved again (towards me) and I got aced. Even after knowing the movement pattern it is quite difficult to move quickly enough around in a circle to stay ahead of the boss. If you want to keep the circular motion, I'd have two recommendations.

1.) Make the boss move fluidly around. Easiest way is probably to set the boss's x and y coordinates using cos/sin every frame. GetCenterX+movementradius*cos(frame3*angvel+270) or something like that.

2.) Probably needs to be a bit easier, either by slowing the rate the boss is moving around or reducing the density a bit. The speed of the bubbles and kunais is good though, imo.

Edit: Forgot to mention - good for a first card! :)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
Ah, perfect.  I was trying to think of a way to get a fluid movement but I couldn't figure it out.  Doesn't help that it's been over a year since I did math harder than 2 + 2.

Shockman2

• I have returned...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »
EDIT: Figured it out.  :V
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:33:44 AM by Shockman2 »

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:26:49 AM »
Nope, other than the sample ExRumia sprite.  I'm not sure what's happening otherwise.

Shockman2

• I have returned...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:29:14 AM »
Nope, other than the sample ExRumia sprite.  I'm not sure what's happening otherwise.

Nevermind, i was using the wrong version, anyways, nice for a new scripter. Although kind of hard, maybe you should make the movement slower.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
Please post large code like that in pastebin next time. And this thread is actually dangling between Q&A and "my own made scripts". Might be wise if you, in the future, release more stuff or request more stuff; To turn this into your personal thread.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:46:48 PM by Helepolis »