Author Topic: Vanguard Princess  (Read 40641 times)

Iori E

Vanguard Princess
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »
The newest doujin game to come out from Japan.  And best of all, IT'S FREE.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8H5RGZXta8
Shoryuken discussion: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=196624
Kotaku link: http://kotaku.com/5306881/cute-fighting-and-totally-free

Blog of Sugeno, the creator (Also where you can download the game): http://suge9.blog58.fc2.com/
Direct link to the download page: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/win95/game/se477052.html

And before anyone asks, you need to set your computer's regional settings to Japanese.  Otherwise, the window will not open properly.  And no, AppLocale will not work.

BTW, just so you know, this game has even more fanservice than Arcana Heart (if that's even possible).  Pantyshots (if they're even wearing panties), jiggling boobs, and bare skin everywhere.  There's even a nipple shot in one frame.  Unlikely that anyone would catch it, but I'm going to have to list this game as NSFW.

But still, GO PLAY IT.

Re: Vanguard Princess
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »
It's possible to play it through AppLocale without having to change the system locale to Japanese. This workaround, from Canned Dogs, worked for me:

For working with AppLocale(without regional settings change) you needs:
1. Path to game must contain only Latin chars.
2. Rename folder ヴァンガードプリンセス to anything else (?vanpri? for example)
3. Rename ヴァンガードプリンセス.exe to vanpri.exe
4. Rename ヴァンガードプリンセス.kgt to vanpri.kgt
5. Use AppLocale, now it works
?.
X. Profit

Iori E

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:37:40 AM »
Here are the main characters, from left to right (top row first):

Yui Kutuna, Haruka Kutuna, Lilith, Luna Himeki, Kurumi Mirumati, Saki Mitonoya, Kaede Hioh, Natalia Glinka, Eri Hasumi, Ayane Ikuse, and Hilda Rize (final boss, unplayable).

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:42:51 AM »
Awesome, that AppLocale trick worked. Now I can play it without putting my computer in moon mode :V

I first got ahold of this a couple days ago. Lilith is my favorite, one of the most entertaining grapplers I've ever used. She's like a loli Clark.

The sprite quality in this game is completely amazing given this whole game was made by one guy. However, the backgrounds really need to be washed out a bit because when shit gets busy in this game you can't tell what the hell is going on, especially not with four characters onscreen.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
Ya know that's weird?

The sword of the first character reminds me at Cirno's watermelon sword.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Sprites are visually very impressive, but the character designs are super generic. It's almost shameful. Also, Kurumi has a Gaia Online wing.

Iori E

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
If these characters are super generic, then Touhou characters are also super generic.  Heck, if you think about it, Touhou character designs are even more generic. (Where's that MSPaint image of "how to create your own Touhou character" when you need it?) :V

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
Meh touhou characters have a color scheme and theme normally.
These seem more like random loli in space.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/Cadmas/Zun_Designs.jpg
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:43:47 PM by Cadmas »

Iori E

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
And here are the assist characters, from left to right:

Kanae, Shiera, Eko, Juliet, Kaaya & Maaya (available only to the final boss), and Hilda Rize with Kaaya & Maaya (selectable only in Vs. Mode, at random in Roulette).

No, I don't know which is Kaaya and which is Maaya. :V

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »
I think my eye balls just lol'd. There are the space loli.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
If these characters are super generic, then Touhou characters are also super generic.  Heck, if you think about it, Touhou character designs are even more generic. (Where's that MSPaint image of "how to create your own Touhou character" when you need it?) :V
Never once have I defended Touhou's character designs, but I promise you that you'd be hard-pressed to find another character anywhere that looks anything like Satori or even Cirno.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
Is this a fighting game or something?

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
Epic sprite work, epic animation and BRIGHT COLORS. However, in the videos I've seen, the gameplay looked a bit confusing and claustrophobic, not helped by BRIGHT COLORS. Even so, I may give this a shot later, though I'm not exactly keen on blatant fan service, especially with such boring character designs. And ya, BRIGHT COLORS!

Iori E

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:37:42 AM »
For a game made by the now archaic 2D Fighter Maker, this is an excellent work.  It may seem claustrophobic to people used to extreme dial-a-combos and crazy movement abilities, but there are none of that in this game.  This game is more of a technical fighter, like Street Fighter or KOF.  The key to winning has to do more with footsies/priority/space control and with proper use of the assists than with long chain combos.

Sugeno seems to be creating updates, so who knows how this game will turn out in the end.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 01:40:59 AM »
Can't say I'm a fan of assists and strikers in fighting games in general.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
I know at least one guy is trying to make a caster for the thing so maybe we'll get to see how it plays against other humans.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
kurumi has the best design but she's the joke character

game unplayable

Iori E

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 03:09:10 AM »
kurumi has the best design but she's the joke character

game unplayable

Kurumi's currently my main so I guess I should defend her. :V
She may only have one special move and she may seem like a joke character at first, but she's way stronger than one might think at first.

First of all, her normal attacks are VERY fast.  Her crouching B and standing C are great pokes that come out quickly enough to stuff many of the opponent's moves.
Second of all, she's the only character in the game who can "dial-a-combo" (other than possibly Eri, but Kurumi still does it better).  She can chain normal attacks in ways that are simply impossible for the other characters.
Third, she has an unlisted "special move" (if you can call it that), which is tapping down-down in mid-air.  What happens is Kurumi falls to the ground super-fast.  Does no damage, and she can't do anything until she lands.  But she's invincible during its entire animation.  Getting up close to the opponent is easier with this move.
Fourth, she can make use of her assists more often than the other fighters, because the assist meter builds up much faster, except when it builds from Level 4 to Level 5 (max), when it slows to a crawl.
Which brings me to my fifth point.  The reason the assist meter takes so long to build from Level 4 to Level 5 is because a maxed assist meter is required for one of the best supers in the game (quarter circle forward + BC).  Its effects are dependent on the assist character you've chosen, but it's usually projectile-based and it does a huge amount of hits.

If you read all that, sorry for being so long-winded.  I just love Kurumi. <3

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:33 AM »
Kurumi, more like Aino Heart.

Iori E

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 03:14:30 AM »
Kurumi, more like Aino Heart.

Where did her legs go?!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 03:19:34 AM »
Where did her legs go?!

She guest-starred in Katawa Shoujo as Emi, so they had to be chopped off.

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
    • Monkey's Forest... lulz
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »
Lolis in the assist characters has attracted my attention. The sprites are impressive, I could not believe this is a freeware.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 01:15:06 PM »
Sweet jesus this looks awesome. Sprites are extraordinary and all of this is for Free? Shoot, If I had a better connection to download this, you best believe I'd be tearin' this up right now.

Oh well, to my Download Accelerator I go.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Zbo

• Seeker of truth
  • A guy.
    • Monkey's Forest... lulz
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
Holy shit I just tried this game.. Pantyshots everywhere!

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:13 PM »
I'm probably going to main Natalia for now (<3 Pilebunker) but the rest of the characters look pretty cool too and it seems less combo-tastic than most of the other fighters I've played so I'm definitely interested.  Here's to hoping that caster gets developed soon.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »
Anyone know how to do Lilith's super? I can't read the moon that explains what the condition for the command is.

Also I can't figure out how I'm doing her fiery soup attack, I think it's a reversal or something but I'm not sure.

Iori E

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
Anyone know how to do Lilith's super? I can't read the moon that explains what the condition for the command is.

Also I can't figure out how I'm doing her fiery soup attack, I think it's a reversal or something but I'm not sure.

360 motion + B and C.

To make her breathe fire, tap any button rapidly. (It's an unlisted special move.)

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »
From what i see of it, it's awesome.. will post questions later =)

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
Do they all have hidden special moves or is it just Lilith?  Also, tips for using Ayane would be welcome since I decided I like her more than Natalia.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:33:56 PM by Rabbit »
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Iori E

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
Do they all have hidden special moves or is it just Lilith?  Also, tips for using Ayane would be welcome since I decided I like her more than Natalia.

As stated before, Kurumi has an invincible double jump by tapping up, up in the air, and an invincible jump cancellation by tapping down, down in the air.
And Luna, she is just full of unlisted special moves.
More might pop up in the near future.

As for using Ayane, there are match vids to show you how to play as her effectively.  Here's one to get started:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpLqMzwLWaI