Author Topic: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 9/17) (Has drawings in it)  (Read 17732 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 8/1)
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:22 AM »
FL's built-in loops, I'll guess, for the drums.

Heh, if this was longer and looped I would say the drums are too active.
Plus I was expecting a progression of the beat as the loop progressed, with it finishing at the first beat of the loop.

It could also use supporting parts if you ask me for a better demonstration of FL.

Not quite. I put the drums together. I see what you mean, but still. He has no idea what he's doing.

Regardless, he's charging along, just stringing crap together, and then stopping occasionally to ask
"Why is it that I can't hear anything?"
and subsequently say
"Fix this."

Bear in mind he's 22 :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 03:30:01 AM »
Not quite. I put the drums together. I see what you mean, but still. He has no idea what he's doing.

Regardless, he's charging along, just stringing crap together, and then stopping occasionally to ask
"Why is it that I can't hear anything?"
and subsequently say
"Fix this."
I see. No problems with that...it's one way to start!

On the bright side, it still sounds a hell of a lot better than my first few compositions (around 2007), though, which were just random MIDI notes strung together, and back then I had no assistance, just my programs and boredom.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
Hm, I've added a gross reinstrumentation of the Lunacy Star extra stage theme.

The original was in midi, and I think it probably sounded better in midi.
The new version is full of instrument balance issues, and crap.
Oh well.

http://tindeck.com/listen/qglu

Please listen to the original cut as well, MIDI as it may be. A link is in the OP.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 8/17)
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
http://tindeck.com/listen/lgml

One of my actual attempts at something a little more than looped single measures.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos

Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 8/17) (Has drawings in it)
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
I've listened to your compositions before, but I forgot to actually  give feedback. I'm very sorry for that. orz
To keep it short, you have some interesting ideas, but most of your compositions sound like they should have been a section of a longer song rather than a full song. I think your compositions will really start to shine if you try to condense your ideas.

Your latest works are showing signs of improvement though. In particular, I think that untitled10.mid is a step in the right direction. Keep that up.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
untitled10.mid

Reinstrumentations? Interesting. It sounds so different, and yet the same. I'll consider doing something like this in the future.

I know what you're talking about though :D
My friends reply in shock if I hand them something even close to over 2 minutes in length :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »
Telephones and Punching on YouTube
I suspect MSGS Softsynth for the instruments. That punch SFX is from the SC-55. Interesting usage of instruments.

Your latest works are showing signs of improvement though. In particular, I think that untitled10.mid is a step in the right direction. Keep that up.
Hehe, re-instrumentation! I will guess it's Hypersonic 2?

Reinstrumentations? Interesting. It sounds so different, and yet the same. I'll consider doing something like this in the future.
We may also be running your MIDIs via other software and hardware synths just for comparison :3. You can optimize it for specific synths via use of unique patches, SysEx, and parameter adjustment - but note that once that occurs it will not render so nicely on other synths (eg. just try rendering most Touhou MIDIs on Yamaha synths - it works, but not nearly as well as it would on their native Roland SC-88Pro).
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 02:20:13 AM »

If you note anything interesting about any of the different synths, point them out to me! :D

I listened to some of my songs using my brother's phone once.

Never again D:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 02:33:59 AM »

If you note anything interesting about any of the different synths, point them out to me! :D
Sure!
* EP looks at OS you're currently using
There is one software-based synth that I highly recommend (and it's free) - the Yamaha S-YXG50 Synthesizer.

Basically it is a compressed and slightly cut-down MU80, one of Yamaha's tone modules. But it also gives you XG support (even more adjustable parameters go!) and 676 patches (and 11 drumkits, 9 standard ones + 2 SFX) to play with! You can even use it in conjunction with other installed synths (tested with Sonar X1).

Drawback - it doesn't work in 64-bit Vista and 7 at all without a VST host (and you'd need the VSTi version, which is not free and is discontinued), and 32-bit versions require a workaround to get it to work under most programs.

I used to use this and the Yamaha AC-XG (a sound card used in early 2000s laptops) to learn composition and MIDI synthesis. Other softsynths I used to use before switching over to hardware include Roland VSC (discontinued commercial software - basically a software implementation of the SC-55, SC-88, and SC-88Pro - good drums, but it's not quite like the hardware it emulates), BASSMIDI (freeware) with a soundfont such as SGM, and WinGroove (shareware), and Edirol Hyper Canvas (a VSTi/DXi that approximates the Classic map of the SD-20/80/90 - also known as the Roland TTS-1).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:49:18 AM by MU500 Bullet Synthesisis »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »
I'm not sure if I could handle such a glaring incompatibility :/
I make midis primarily as bgm for my video games :(

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 06:35:13 AM »
I'm not sure if I could handle such a glaring incompatibility :/
I make midis primarily as bgm for my video games :(
MIDIs were very common in the 1990s for game music.

Game composers would often write music using only the General MIDI presets, in order to accommodate a wide variety of hardware and software. Results varied immensely, and often they wrote primarily on one module (SC-55 being a very popular one), tested on maybe one more (usually a Yamaha MU unit), and didn't really care as much for the rest (such as those with Gravis or Creative cards - these were in the majority of the consumer audience).

Nowadays, however, the vast majority of people have been using MSFT's and Apple's licensed versions of the Roland SC-55 soundmap. A few catches - one, terrible quality (eg. Duke Nukem 3D E1L1 - MSGS synth vs. Roland SC-55), and two, some patches were from the newer SC-88 instead (namely the pick bass), but most didn't notice the latter.

So I don't think you'll be having problems. If anything you could even optimize your works for that particular synth! (however it will then sound crappier to those using other ones).

EDIT: Changed the example to a better one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:52:27 AM by MU500 Bullet Synthesisis »
Bad command or file name

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
I've made a new Boss 6 theme for the Lunacy Star STG I'm making.
http://www.host-a.net/u/Chisou/Boss6%20new.zip

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »
Some noticeable improvement there. Just some advice though, you should pan the instruments more. Having everything lumped together into the center makes for a song that's hard to follow, as some instruments become hard to hear. For one, you should avoid panning instruments to the center because that's where the kick drum is. (panning the drum kit itself is bad idea for a number of reasons)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:13 AM »
Some noticeable improvement there. Just some advice though, you should pan the instruments more. Having everything lumped together into the center makes for a song that's hard to follow, as some instruments become hard to hear. For one, you should avoid panning instruments to the center because that's where the kick drum is. (panning the drum kit itself is bad idea for a number of reasons)

This is actually the first time I've really ever messed with it  :ohdear:
My main problem while writing it was that there was probably too much going on at once, so I tried to hold it back at the end.
The result is 1:40 of incredibly chaotic instrument work and :10 of some of my favorite composition I've ever done :fail:

Chaos might be suitable, though. This is my final boss we're talking about, yes, but still :ohdear:

Thanks for having a listen, though!  :3

I'm surprised that it turned out at 94 KB, myself. That's 300% the next biggest MIDI I've ever done...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:48:45 AM by Chisou Taizen »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: [Music] Taizen's Tindeck (Updated 9/17) (Has drawings in it)
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »
http://www.host-a.net/u/Chisou/untitled.zip

Contains two would-be songs that ended up going nowhere, and one song, with two versions.
One with drums, the other without.

The first two were done on a whim, and the last was done with a bit of inspiration.
I added drums last, and I figured that it might have been better without them at all, but, you know how that goes  :ohdear:

As is customary now, with my finished songs, it is looped twice.
So it's not really 2:40, it's 1:20 :P
I'm just saving you from listening to it twice :V
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:38:33 AM by Chisou Taizen »