Author Topic: 10th anniversary rerelease of older games?  (Read 2768 times)

ShouAmaterasu

• Gengetsu's Disciple
10th anniversary rerelease of older games?
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »
What if next year ZUN decided to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Team Shanghai Alice with updated releases of his older games (1-5 or 6-9, whatever?) for Xbox Live Arcade and PSN?

I have read his restrictions and preferences and that one instance he sort of caused a small controversy among fans on the Maikaze animation. Even though it would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY that he would offer to put his older games on Xbox Live Arcade and PSN (if I remember correctly, Trouble Witches is a doujin Shmup), I still think it is something interesting to talk about, I'm especially interested in some ideas for achievement/trophy names that we can make up for lulz. I'll start with my own list.

EoSD
Strength in Number = 9G: Capture all of Cirno's spell cards on Easy
THE WORLD FROWNS UPON YOU = 1G: You beat easy mode
C-C-C-C-Charisma Breaker!! (or just Charisma Breaker) = 20G: Capture Scarlet Gensokyo
Master of Fate = 50G: Clear Lunatic Mode on 1CC
Fly Me to the Scarlet Moon = 10G: Defeat Remilia for the first time (you have to admit that some art makes her look like Rei Ayanami)
How Close is "TOO CLOSE"? = 5G: Accumulate a graze count of 500 in one stage
And Then There Were None.... = 20G: Clear the Extra Stage
Budget Problems = 10G: Clear the game with both of Reimu's shot types (How much paper does she buy to use those talismans as weapons?)
Star Spangled Magic = 10G: Clear the game with both of Marisa's shot types
Lethal Exhausting Powers = 10G: Complete an entire stage without shooting, loosing a life, or using a bomb
Scoring Pits = 20G: Acquire 1,000,000 points.
What is the real meaning of life? Such a fragile and weak thing it is. The answer is whatever you make it out to be. If you're a mad man then go around and do what you do best because in the end it's all about you... That's right, destruction is your desire, you live to kill, to reap away everything else that isn't important to you!

Drake

Re: 10th anniversary rerelease of older games?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
What if next year ZUN decided to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Team Shanghai Alice with updated releases of his older games (1-5 or 6-9, whatever?) for Xbox Live Arcade and PSN?
I have read his restrictions and preferences
giggle

Well, I can't really think of any myself, but having some serious suggestions might be interesting.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:58:36 AM »
I think a Steam release would be more likely than XBLA or PSN. And even then that's highly speculative.

Anyways, achievement time:

Shoot the Moon (IN) - Paradise Moon is back!
Mind the Gap (PCB) - Beat Phantasm without breaking any Borders.
Sweeping Coverage (STB) - Have at least one picture of every bullet pattern.
Miko of the Nineball Shrine (all) - No wonder you're so poor. Monetarily speaking. (ie: die at least once to every spellcard, get Wriggle Kicked, break all borders, and yet complete EoSD, PCB, and IN Easy...in one session of the compilation)
Dead Parrot (PoFV) - Lose 99 matches in multiplayer.
Why Do I Miss You, A Lot, Forever? (IN) - Beat IN Lunatic with Marisa/Alice, Alice solo, and Marisa solo.
Field Research & LIbrary Thesis (EoSD) - Capture all of Patchouli's spellcards.
Unprecedented Serious Capture (IN) - Clear all Last Words as well as Eirin/Kaguya's final spellcards.
Simple...da ZE. (all) - Beat all games on Hard or Lunatic with Marisa (Marisa solo for IN).
The Strongest (PoFV) - Beat Lunatic with Cirno, with no rounds lost.
From Another Era (EoSD/PCB/IN) - Beat the games on any difficulty setting with the MIDI soundtrack on.
Target Practice Faled (all) - Clear all games on Hard or Lunatic with a Pacifist Run.
I Forgot My Morning Tea! (all) - Clear all games on Hard or Lunatic without ever invoking Focus Mode.
Malpractice (IN) - Clear or timeout all of Eirin's spellcards in one playthrough, regardless of difficulty.
Repeat Domination and Murder (IN) - Clear all of Mokou's spellcards in one playthrough without losing more than 3 lives during the entire fight.

I'd love to see other thngs in here, such as official translations, Mac/Linux binaries, alternate soundtracks (FM demakes would be awesome), etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:18:27 AM by PARU Telecom Networks, LLC »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
I've given the thought to ZUN re-releasing EoSD, but not just because its 10th anniversary is coming up. That game as a whole could be sooo much better than it is now - better graphics (even something along the lines of PCB is fine), updated bullet hitboxes (again, PCB standards are fine), changes in certain patterns to compensate, maybe even an option to turn the visible character hitbox on or off (to satisfy both sides of this debate).

And I don't expect ZUN to release anything on Steam, XBox Live, etc., so not gonna bother with this achievement thing.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
I always figured any re-releases would be released in the same way his games always have, just with a few updates maybe.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
I dunno about digital distribution, but I think a 1-5 package updated to look more Windows'ish would be cool.  No gameplay changes or anything (that includes the invisible hitbox and such!), just more colourful sprites/backgrounds (maybe PCBish ones), replace the original PC98 music with the smoother Akyu's Untouched versions, etc.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
I dunno about digital distribution, but I think a 1-5 package updated to look more Windows'ish would be cool.  No gameplay changes or anything (that includes the invisible hitbox and such!), just more colourful sprites/backgrounds (maybe PCBish ones), replace the original PC98 music with the smoother Akyu's Untouched versions, etc.

Akyu CDs are technically just the original tracks recorded from a PC-98 but using YM2608's stereo panning and sightly different volume levels. They should give you if an idea of how off the emulators sound.

Cheez101

• Yes I confess I am a ⑨.
  • What are you not okay with that.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
You know what would be great, If they came out with touhou 1-5 on windows in a bundle pack on a disc. That would be mine within 2 seconds if they did come out with something like that. :D
Flandre Scarlet will eat your potato salad if you don't go eat it first. :D kidding.

ShouAmaterasu

• Gengetsu's Disciple
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:44:08 AM »
This?

That does look too good to believe, if it actually does happen, I would go for the Microsoft points, Phantasmagorias and fighting games would be first on my list. I myself dislike the idea of pirating his games, and I have heard that the biggest reason for ZUN's dislike for the Maikaze anime is that newer fans would recognize the derivative fan anime as official material and his game and possibly even his name in association with Touhou in general will later fall into obscurity OR (this part is a bit of my guess) the popularization of the anime would create a "fan-dumb" that has already affected Naruto (funny how spell check ignores "Naruto") and Bleach. Then again, it probably has hit a long time ago, but for some reason I guess it works better due to the stand alone nature of the in game stories.

Point is, ZUN created a monster that many of us gamers and fantasy nerds had to see because it was so great (despite the character artwork). But like many other games from many other companies, they are so great that it would be a crime to let it age and be forgotten on one system that may be dying out to the point of piracy via the already obscure emulator being the only means to obtain it (Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS gets a shout out for a great example).
What is the real meaning of life? Such a fragile and weak thing it is. The answer is whatever you make it out to be. If you're a mad man then go around and do what you do best because in the end it's all about you... That's right, destruction is your desire, you live to kill, to reap away everything else that isn't important to you!