Author Topic: Yume Nikki - An alternative to drugs!  (Read 8062 times)

Herasy

Yume Nikki - An alternative to drugs!
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
So, after hearing about this little game for quite some time now I decided (or once again, was incredibly bored) to download it and give it a shot for myself.

I have to say this. This game is really really awesome, in an incredibly messed up way. Basically you wander around the dream world of a little girl (playing as the little girl) finding powers that cause numerous useful (or completely pointless) things to happen.

All the scenery is strange, creepy and just out right weird throughout the entire game and while I have only picked up a few effects, I am loving every moment of it! I find creepy games like this to be rarely enjoyable but this one just works for me I guess.

Download link here:
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/04/freeware_game_pick_yume_nikki.html

Gameplay video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG2dfzow9ac

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
Re: Yume Nikki - An alternative to drugs!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:55:21 PM »
Trust me it's going to take you a while to find all the effects (and everything else) being it can be really easy for you to get lost. And even then you'll find yourself wanting to explore the remote outer reaches of this girls head. I may've found all 25 effects (w/o using no maps or guides), but I still haven't explored alot of her dreams, I haven't found Takofuusan or Monoe.

Also, I hope you enjoy the ending~
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Easy Mode

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 02:44:36 AM »
I hate hate hate the ending. POR QUEEEEEEE?!
After around 30 or so tries, I finally got Uboa to show up. I was sitting in my mom's friend's living room with my laptop and gasped all hella loud. :c
SHAT BRICKS. <3

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:32 AM »
It's ironic that the best game made in RPGMaker is not an RPG.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »
come on, the ending is ok (warning: spoilers ahead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HH3hq7D0hY
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Easy Mode

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 03:17:09 AM »
But whyyyyy?
Actually, if I was dreaming that, I would have done the same damn thing.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:29:08 AM »
I found almost all of the effects (23) without using guides. I did however find every secret/room/whatever that wasn't Uboa without using any, and I'm satisfied with that.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:12:19 AM »
I found almost all of the effects (23) without using guides. I did however find every secret/room/whatever that wasn't Uboa without using any, and I'm satisfied with that.
It's probably better that way seeing as to
Spoiler:
the game crashes when you find all 25, thus not allowing you into any of the FC Worlds

Herasy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
On my third little journey into the dream world I accidentally jumped into the bed and found another world. I journeyed down this way (without that hand effect that teleports you back to the door room) and got lost for about 40 minutes.  :-\

I found 3 effects though, including the flute effect! I love walking around everywhere while playing the flute.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
So how about the supposed Sequal, yume 2kki (the 2 is pronounced "Ni" I just got that!)
is it done yet? is it any good?
Wotters gonna' wot

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »
So how about the supposed Sequal, yume 2kki (the 2 is pronounced "Ni" I just got that!)
is it done yet? is it any good?
Yeah it is in fact done, whether it's good or not, eh, I've gotten mixed reviews about it. While it's a cut below the original it's still something a fan of Yume Nikki should check out at least once. I'm thinking about downloading it, later on and giving it a go since I'm basically done with this game (I still need to get the ending but, until then I'll mess around with 2kki).

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »
It's worth mentioning that the sequel is a fan project, and not made by the creator of the original.

I played an unfinished demo of it a while back. It's not quite as strong as the first game in composition, but it does have enough brickshitting moments to make it worth trying.

Herasy

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
Completed! Ending was a bit expected though. Overall pretty nice game, came with its creepy moments (Uboa!) and the retro area reminded me of Earthbound quite alot.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
I love this game and have not completed it, so I appreciate people being discreet about the ending. I don't want to know!

One thing I have to agree with though is the observation (criticism?) that while in most RPGs, you open the game universe in stages, starting from a small portion until you find Item A, then this opens a new world, where you have to find Item B, and so on. In Yume Nikki, the whole game universe starts wide open from the beginning. So exploration will take you a long time, and as there's no mapping, you'd be remember what's where.

Still, tons of fun as far as I'm concerned.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Herasy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
I love this game and have not completed it, so I appreciate people being discreet about the ending. I don't want to know!

One thing I have to agree with though is the observation (criticism?) that while in most RPGs, you open the game universe in stages, starting from a small portion until you find Item A, then this opens a new world, where you have to find Item B, and so on. In Yume Nikki, the whole game universe starts wide open from the beginning. So exploration will take you a long time, and as there's no mapping, you'd be remember what's where.

Still, tons of fun as far as I'm concerned.

That didn't stop me from getting incredibly annoyed while finding the last few effects, I must have spent hours wandering through the same areas.