Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments  (Read 281839 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:33 AM »
Yeah, Killing Doll is nasty on Lunatic + Max Rank. Not only is it extremely dense and claustrophobic, but the knives are really fast. Oh, and then you also have the typical Killing Doll "knife that just passed by you is now coming back for you" shit. Delicious.

In other news, I increased the margin of error a bit today. I keep falling apart at the silliest place though =/
Bleh. Tell us already  ::)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:17 AM »
Yeah, Killing Doll is nasty on Lunatic + Max Rank. Not only is it extremely dense and claustrophobic, but the knives are really fast. Oh, and then you also have the typical Killing Doll "knife that just passed by you is now coming back for you" shit. Delicious.
Adding, the knife hitbox?
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »
Bleh. Tell us already  ::)

Maybe he's just worried that I'm going to pull a Post-Momizi and steal his thunder with a successful run after he irons out the strategy.

Although that's nothing to worry about since I'm not playing Touhou right now, and besides that, Remi's probably my worst fight in the series.  (We -are- talking about Remi, right?)
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 07:38:02 AM »
I'm surprised you haven't beaten EoSD lunatic honestly. Considering your other impressive feats you've proven yourself more than capable of it.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
Heh.  I was doing Killing Doll on Hard, actually.  I graze a knife - it's directly to the right of my hitbox, going straight down - and Sakuya freezes time.  And turns the knife.  At a ninety degree angle.  And unfreezes time.

I was laughing too hard to get angry.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
...due to an unexpected event that impacted my current physical state, I am unable to play at the level for a few hours. Maybe some medication will fix it.

My left arm hurts so much  ;_;
It's putting me off balance, so it feels like my mind is disoriented; hitbox calculations (both projectile and player) have gone "bleeeeeh", and bombing reflex just died. Even pre-bombing reflex is dead.

To tell you how bad the run was, I was on the third continue, and Scarlet Gensokyo. Died there, rather than bombing, because of my left arm.

On the good side, the strategy appears to work for Scarlet Meister at Lunatic. However, the gaps are very small. Emphasis on very. The gap are generally about one red-ball bullet wide, and half a sprite high. Considering the high speed of these bullets, there's a rather small margin of error. Made it past 2 sets of double-waves, before clipping.
<>

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:17 AM »
Maybe he's just worried that I'm going to pull a Post-Momizi and steal his thunder with a successful run after he irons out the strategy.

What? Who would be afraid of you?

Adding, the knife hitbox?

Typically with Killing Doll, if I get hit, I get hit. So I guess I don't mind it too much :P

I was laughing too hard to get angry.

I only do that when I encounter new crazy looking patterns for the first time. Dying usually results in rage for me. Well, that or a quick snicker with me saying "wow, really? Really?"

theshirn

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »
GRRNNNFRGN!

One bullet less - one, damnit - and I would've captured Scarlet Meister!  Damnit!

Seriously.  I clipped the last bullet in the stream, when she had the merest fraction of her health bar left, twice.

I did get Scarlet Gensokyo a couple more times.  Including what is probably the longest run of that card, ever.  Remilia spent almost the entire time on the opposite end of the screen, and every time I moved over she'd move back and then wall me off again.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
Killing Doll on max rank is one of the hardest spell cards in the series. Even if it doesn't look that bad on hard, it's a LOT denser on lunatic. Same with Scarlet Meister (if you try that method of yours on lunatic, you'll find...problems.)

Yes, because I had to bomb it.
Uploading. Man I suck at Lunatic so much. Maybe its because I'm not used to the density of the bullets. (yet...)

Killing Doll performed impossible walling on me. I wasn't even at max rank (I think?). Funnily enough, after that... it looked feasible... somewhat.

Will edit (and pray that I don't hit the quote button) this post with the link (once its finished processing)

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjWul6v9QLA

...did I do it right? Also, don't ask about the BS dodge during the first non-spell (not midboss). I have no idea how I did it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:20:50 PM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Uploading. Man I suck at Lunatic so much. Maybe its because I'm not used to the density of the bullets. (yet...)

EoSD Lunatic is a huge step up from Hard, especially in the last three stages.  All of the hardest cards(Emerald Megalith, Killing Doll, Meister/Gensokyo, etc) have their difficulty raised significantly compared to the Hard versions.  For someone who's still new to Lunatic, you did quite well, good job. 

Though, I don't know if you're aware, but the first half of stage 5 can be skipped by going to the top of the screen and dodging the aimed blasts.  If you're going for a 1cc, it's really not worth risking staying at the bottom.

Also, nice character choice. ReimuB is awesome 8).

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
Reimu B's Patchy fight on lunatic is one big pain in the ass though :(

Flay_wind

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
160 spells captured in IN spell practice.

nintendonut888

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
On the good side, the strategy appears to work for Scarlet Meister at Lunatic. However, the gaps are very small. Emphasis on very. The gap are generally about one red-ball bullet wide, and half a sprite high. Considering the high speed of these bullets, there's a rather small margin of error. Made it past 2 sets of double-waves, before clipping.

That's why it's considered to be the hardest spell card.

Since I'm at school, I can't see what's in those videos, but I'm definitely curious. If you want to take on lunatic, go for it! It's always nice to have a lunatic player.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
Well, that was an abomination.  Cleared EoSD Lunatic to unlock practice.  First continue lasted until just as Koakuma was about to show up.  Patchy ate me alive - no captures - and then Stage 5 decided that my bomb button was not allowed to work.  Second continue just before midboss Sakuya.  Who trounces me.  I did capture Jack the Ludo Bile and ZA WARUDO, at least, before Killing Doll pasted me across the floor.

Remilia's stage is still BS, by the way.  But I did capture Vampire Illusion, in some of my most ridiculous dodging ever, and I got Scarlet Gensokyo (which I captured on Hard a couple more times - the Hard version is practically peanuts compared to Lunatic) down to less than half health before dying.

Whatever.  I'm no Lunatic player.  But now I can practice Lunatic versions of the Scarlet Cards, to make the Hard versions doable!

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »
Scarlet Meister is pretty hard, but there is enough room for skilled play on it that I no longer consider it to be the hardest thing in the Windows series. Garbage like Emerald Megalith and Killing Doll at max rank are harder in terms of frequency of capture. They require less SKILL and more LUCK to capture than Scarlet Meister - a good player will capture Meister more often that the other two.

One interesting problem that all three cards share is that their difficulty is greatly affected by the way in which the boss moves during them. Damn EoSD and it's totally random boss movement ;_;

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »
Though, I don't know if you're aware, but the first half of stage 5 can be skipped by going to the top of the screen and dodging the aimed blasts.  If you're going for a 1cc, it's really not worth risking staying at the bottom.

Also, nice character choice. ReimuB is awesome 8).
I'm aware of the... "abuse". But for scoring, I'd say its the best way through  =p

One interesting problem that all three cards share is that their difficulty is greatly affected by the way in which the boss moves during them. Damn EoSD and it's totally random boss movement ;_;
;_; We all know what it feels like.

Don't forget random fairy maid movement in stage 6. I've had to waste a bomb because the fairies move into me from the side (where they don't die in time) >_>
If you don't know what I'm talking about, I could easily make a video of it. Or something.
<>

Kefit

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
I know what you are talking about, it's annoying as hell.

However it can be avoided nearly 100% of the time by streaming the fairy shots from the right or left edge of the screen rather than from the middle.

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
My capture rate of VoWG still says it's harder than Scarlet Meister. D:

BTW Kefit, is this thing you're vaguely alluding to a secret or something?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 11:28:05 PM »
My capture rate of VoWG still says it's harder than Scarlet Meister. D:

BTW Kefit, is this thing you're vaguely alluding to a secret or something?

It's a secret to everyone.

Adun

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
Captured every spell card in EoSD Lunatic Stage 1-3, but Patchy's being a bitch.

It's a secret to everyone.

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 02:18:46 AM »
Captured every spell card in EoSD Lunatic Stage 1-3, but Patchy's being a bitch.

Heh, good luck. It isn't that bad, but it will take some perseverance due to her handful of bullshit cards, and then there's Emerald Megalith to top it off.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
Going back to my Stage 5 Lunatic video... ...

Err... it's better if I just showed you the screenshots of the raw data. Recorded at 25 FPS by the way... (I need video better EDITING software; Windows Movie Maker -> 25 FPS)

I do apologize for the horrible cutting. This makes me think 1.5 things:

1-1.5: Just how small are the rice bullets, and based on the size, what about Reimu's hitbox?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:09:40 AM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »
Going back to my Stage 5 Lunatic video... ...

Err... it's better if I just showed you the screenshots of the raw data. Recorded at 25 FPS by the way... (I need video better EDITING software; Windows Movie Maker -> 25 FPS)

I do apologize for the horrible cutting. This makes me think 1.5 things:

1-1.5: Just how small are the rice bullets, and based on the size, what about Reimu's hitbox?

LOL hilarious!
Nice!

Interesting though, I always thought the rice bullets matched their hitbox.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Kefit

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
Reimu's hitbox is about the size of Reimu's hitbox in MoF and SA. I'd suggest grabbing the hitbox patch if you want to get an accurate idea of its exact size.

Contrary to what I once believed, Marisa's hitbox is larger than Reimu's in EoSD. Furthermore, most bullet hitboxes are larger than in other games. However, these rice pellets are about the same size, which is to say that they are quite a bit smaller than their graphic. However, this "dodge" was still a very freak occurrence that you should never expect to happen again.

nintendonut888

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
Contrary to what I once believed, Marisa's hitbox is larger than Reimu's in EoSD

No wai. It's probably because I never use Reimu in EoSD and am unfamiliar with the hitbox position (I REFUSE to ever get the hitbox patch), but I get hit a lot easier with Reimu than Marisa. It can't be that much of a difference...

And I've made dodges like that several times in the past. It's definitely awesome, but never count on it.

Kefit

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
Eh, I've never seen much of a problem with the hitbox patch, and this is coming from the guy who did ridiculous things in EoSD long before the hitbox patch came out. A visible hitbox makes little to no difference at the Lunatic level of play, at least with the faster, less dense danmaku that is the norm in EoSD.

Downloading and trying out the patch has confirmed this belief. I have learned a few interesting things from it as well. I would suggest trying it out just to see what you can learn and then getting rid of it if you want to.

On a curious note, this difference in hitbox size is directly related to one of my recent cryptic comments...but those will be on hold for a day or two. I've confirmed myself as soul crushed, and need a day or two to recover and hop back into the fray.

nintendonut888

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »
Kefit's doing an EoSD lunatic no bombs clear.

OMG.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
No bomb clear :O???

MONSTER!

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
Topic-related:
Finished SA on Normal with Reimu B, with three lives left. Every spell card from Stage 1 to 3 captured, first and third of Satoris, first and third of Orins, and first and final of Utusho?s spell cards. Making in total 2 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2: 16 of 25 captured.

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
PCB Extra Stage, got to "Kokkuri-san's Contract" (penultimate spellcard) with Reimu A.

The run itself is crap, but it's the first time I get past Princess Tenko (by capturing it! Yay!).
I have so much stupid deaths, I'll probably beat Ran easily when I seriously try to beat her (Hint: I have captured 30 spellcards).

List of stupid deaths :

- Died to Chen spinning around everywhere by running into the last bullet to dodge in a wave.
2 bombs in stock.
- Messed up the end of the stage and trapped myself.
1-2 bombs in stock
- Didn't move for like 5 seconds in a nonspell (either after Princess Tenko or the buddist spell).
1 bomb in stock
- Managed to get myself trapped in blue bullets at the beginning of Kokkuri-san's contract.
FOUR bombs in stock
- Mistimed one of the line of blue bullets later in the spell (and moved diagonnally. duh).
3 bombs in stock

So yeah I lost like a dozen bombs  ;D. I broke almost every single border too (on purpose).

Also, I didn't skip Ran's text to try to make it readable in the replay, but then noticed the replays speed up at that part, about 2x faster  >:(. My sisters (and Cassie too maybe) would have liked to read the story. 
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."