Author Topic: Suddenly, Touhou icons! Thousands of them! 【new 2nd set!】  (Read 48319 times)

Suddenly, Touhou icons! Thousands of them! 【new 2nd set!】
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »
Dear /b/ TARC,
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

So, I've made another trip to the Touhou realm and have returned with another set of icons. Not as many as the first time (109 < 385), but they're just as beautiful pieces of handiwork as the first set. The *.dll is indexed with 12 variants to prevent color depth from breaking them, and they auto-size to avoid blurriness at the most common icon resolutions. You know those snazzy professional Windows *.dll's that you thought were pretty decent (like C:/Windows/System32/imageres.dll, for you Vista/7 users)? This is pretty much the same thing, only you didn't have to buy/pirate an overpriced OS to come by it, and they're fu'kn Touhou icons, so you get all your major food-groups too! (Got'a get your daily dose of Sakuya, you know?) I'm likely to make even more when I feel like neglecting my other projects (none of which you know about, but one you may eventually), so this thread isn't going to die even if you find it on the 30th page. The first icon set is a beaut' too ze~. If you havn't downloaded it, shame on you (unless, of course, you're here to do that - in which case, stop reading this and hit the download link!). I think making the *.dll's are pretty easy once you figure out how to do it, but making the *.svg's for you hoi'dy-toi'dy Linux users is becoming a bit much. I think you may just have to make due with *.png's after this (unless Adobe feels like making Illustrator less of a clunky behemoth of a klutz and fully support presets in their vectorizeing script, make macros run consistently in batches and not just skip steps or treat a project like a union-job, and have their resizing options actually resize an object and not spontaneously add negative placement anytime soon; also, it would be nice if the voctorizeing script would just just up and make a right-angle). I'm not being angsty about it, I just have other things to procrastinate.

Also, in regard to this thread: Please post a screenshot of them in action. I'm actually really, really against desktop icons on my own PC, and need to maintain the appearance of being socially adjusted when people happen to come over to my apartment and glance at my computer screen. As such, only my game shortcuts, which are hidden and nested in a dock-bar have these icons. I like to see what you folks have done with these, as it validates my work and I'm an insecure and groveling wreck without it. That and I think they look cool.

Something I'd like to point out: I've mentioned this in a post below, but I'd like to reiterate it - You can hide the shortcut-arrow that overlays the bottom-right corner of your icons with Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.1. It's really easy and you can make use of it's other functionality, or you could Google how to edit your registry for your particular OS version if you're comfortable with it. It makes for a much, much nicer finish.

Finally, like I said in the first part of this post, I'm likely to make more. But, that is, I need more images to edit into icons... to make more icons... It sounds strange, but stick with me for a moment: If you have in your possession, or have ready access such that it may be in your possession, to any game sprites (MegaMari, Touhou Pocket Wars, etc.) that would make good icons (I'm not sold on TPW just yet), POST THEM NAO! The reason I like game sprites is that they tend to be awfully consistent (or consistently awful, as is ZUN's case), and consistency is good for icons. But they also tend to be pretty small, so they normally make the jump to icons pretty well. Just so, the field isn't limited to sprites, if you can post a source of consistent, good, and relatively small Touhou-related images, I may just toss them into a *.dll for everyone.

Touhou Icon Set #1

Unique Icons: 386
DLL Variants: 4596
Sprite Source: Touhoumon

[TODO] General notes [/TODO]

64 ? 64px icon files; 256 ? 256px icon files; 64 ? 64px *.gif files; 12 index Windows con *.dll file
Windows Touhou Icons (7.45MB)

*.svg image files

Click here to see a complete list of who's included.

Touhou Icon Set #2

Unique Icons: 109
DLL Variants: 1308
Sprite Source: Patchcon

[TODO] General notes [/TODO]

64 ? 64px icon files; 256 ? 256px icon files; 64 ? 64px *.png files; 12 index Windows con *.dll file
Windows Touhou Icons (2.18MB)

*.svg image files
Linux Touhou Icons In progress, 30% done (??MB)

Click here to see a complete list of who's included.

[Legendary Necro-Edit]
I made this post 5 years ago, the imageshack links crapped out. This page has still been getting hits, so I made new links on imgur. Also, wow - solidly in the quintuple-digits!
[/Legendary Necro-Edit]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:13:42 AM by Pants »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
Re: Suddenly, Touhou icons! Thousands of them!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
Hehe, this is very interesting. I should find a use for it...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Chibi Yamame icon. :V

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
There are nice, but I can't possibly imagine what folders I would use them for. :V

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
I too think these are awesome but have no real use for them. Downloaded 'em anyway of course :D

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa11/kojiros/newicons.jpg

Well i'm using it :V
Good job dood. I like.
Now to put them back on the taskbar....
I actually barely have any icons on my desktop all my games are on the quick launch. hehe
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »
Hey Pants, are you Jesus?

This is so awesome. Don't know where to start thanking you!

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:42 AM »
@Kojiremi:
I'm glad you've found a use for these. I actually only have one icon modded with this, but I knew someone out there would have greater use for this, so your screen-shot has given me immense satisfaction. One thing I'd recommend, if you're interested: It's called Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.1; it's like TweakUI for XP only for Vista & it doesn't need to be installed (run it as Administrator if you have UAC active). There's an option under Additional Tweaks > Some Additional Tweaks called 'Remove arrows from Shortcut Icons'. It'll remove all the arrows in the lower right corner of your shortcuts for a cleaner look, give it a go and see if you like it (also, the program's a pretty decent UI modder for how stable it is). If you're comfortable with editing your registry, here's a link on how to do it without the application.

@GreenVirus:
Oh, flattery will get you everywhere ;).
I love a satisfied customer.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:58:35 AM »
Do you have these in non-DLL form?  Since some of us don't run Windows...

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
So, I can't send a PMs yet, so I'll just post this here...  :/
What resolution and file extension do you need? I'm not overly familiar with Linux, but PNGs and SVGs are serious overkill, but if those are the only compatible ones, I'll remake a set, upload them, and link them in the OP. Were the GIFs and ICOs not compatible?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:15:20 PM by Pants »

draganuv15

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 05:50:56 PM »
I can't find my customize icon ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Anyways welcome to the threads enjoy your stay~

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
...PNGs and SVGs are serious overkill...
Er...  =|  most styles use PNG and SVG anyway, I don't see what the problem is.  =<  Anyway, if you have them in both 64x64 and 256x256 that be fine.  If you actually made SVGs for them that'd be even better.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
@ The Hungry Octopus:
Windows XP is a little different. To change a system icon, there is a ?Customize? tab. To change the icon of a shortcut go to the ?Shortcut? tab and select ?Change Icon?. I?m not sure if I remember whether or not you can change folder icons that are not shortcuts? but if you can?t, move that folder somewhere else (an excuse to organize your file system, right?), create a shortcut and work it that way...

@ Momiji:
Ok, so PNGs wouldn?t technically be ?overkill? if they were optimized for 16 colors, but there?s really nothing giving them superiority over GIFs with these images, but SVGs? well, I couldn?t resist the heresy of preserving pixels with vectors, so I made them. I only have a windows box, so I?m afraid I haven?t checked through them as actual icons. If they don?t work, let me know.
I must say, even after I?ve made and uploaded them: SVGs are crazy overkill, both in file-size, format, and principal.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »
Indexed color image formats are so '80s.  Anyway...

Ahahahaaa you did use SVG.  Awesome.  Er, one problem I see, all but 001.svg are 1000x1000px.   You also might want to clear the background.  But so far 001.svg definitely works as an icon for me.  \o/

Also, holy crap that's a huge Yukkuri.

Tamasaburou

• da MOCHI BALL
  • dang
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
OOSHI, OISHIIIII~
I tried to look for these online, but didn't find. I'm going to put these in good use and replace my IaMP and SWR-icons!  :3

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »
OK, second attempt at the SVGs are up in the OP. The first set got 5 downloads before I made the switch, so re-download them if you're one of those people.

Just so you know... this too WAY too long, 5+ hours longer than I what I was hoping. Apparently, Adobe Illustrator doesn't export to multiple SVGs from a single file. This fact is the current bane of my existence.

I'm compelled to document my exploits as some form of reconciliation: I re-saved all the GIFs as 256 ? 256px PNGs (necessary to prevent the vectorizeing script from wanting to put curves in the image; also something to do with lossless format...), then ran a script that vectorized the image, re-sized it, and saved it as an SVG (this is why 001.svg was good, and the others weren't - that was the one I used for the macro; it apparently didn't document the art-board resizing... thus the 1000 ? 1000px...), re-sized the art-boards, pulled these files 100 at a time into *.ai files, deleted all white-space for transparency (I hate white pixels...), attempted to export to multiple SVG files, failed, raged, drank some tea, drank some hot cocoa, ate some dinner, raged some more, futzed around with the *.ai files, corrupted one of them and lost all information in it, raged, deleted all whitespace (again!) in 100 *.svg files (I hate white pixels...), individually placed the vector images over their source GIFs, save-as'd as *.SVG, rar'd them, uploaded them, posted on them, and walked away from Touhou for the rest of the day... This, ladies and gentlemen, is the abridged version of what happened; I just hope they work now (but please proof them anyway)...

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
OMG YES YESYESYESYESYESYESGAAAAAH

*Glomps Pants*

Let's see where will I use it though.

EDIT: Ara, to those of you who play TPWEVO, look at Chen.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:28:42 PM by YakumoSilver »

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
This one is awesome.  :V
[NSFW]http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/329906/animal_ears-earth-firefox-fox_tail-icon-myumoon-ta[/NSFW]
Danbooru adds.

The icon in the comment link there is lowres though.  :(

Edit: Heh found this aswell http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/179092
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:18:51 PM by Palewolf »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »
I'm using these for Hat Online.
They're really nice.
I need to find other things to use them on.

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
These are great! Love having Utsuho as my recycling bin hahaha.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »

Thank you for making these; your work is very much appreciated. :D

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Re: Suddenly, Touhou icons! Thousands of them! 【new 2nd set!】
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
Necro bump -
Shit got updated, and I'm going to bed. See OP. Good night.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
Oh woooooooow. :o

On a note nobody cares about: this is technically a necrobump, yes, but those are allowed for personal project updates: AAA and PSL make note of that, but that rule applies in this thread too. So no worries <3

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
I am so getting these when I go back home.  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."