Author Topic: [NaNoWriMo] Voyages of Life  (Read 3176 times)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
[NaNoWriMo] Voyages of Life
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
Yeah so, I didn't get anywhere near 50k words and I wasn't at all happy with the quality of writing I was getting past part 1. So, I cut all the extra and just have part 1 as my whole novel which I'll start posting here. I hope you all enjoy.

One could say it was a perfect day. One of those days where there?s not a cloud in the sky. One of those days where it was warm and there was a refreshing breeze blowing. One of those days where the ocean waves gently lapped the beaches and tickled the feet of sunbathers. All the worries of the world felt miles away.

Truth be told, Ivan really would have preferred to not be home on such a day. He?d much rather be out at sea, the winds blowing through his hair and water as far as the eye could behold in any direction. He considered that his true home. As it turned out though, this perfect day happened to fall on one of the rare occasions that Ivan was a temporary landlubber. He took another sip of his beer as he sat at a beachside bar. He ruffled the small beard on his chin and let out a sigh, at least he could sit by the ocean and listen to the waves. His short brown hair waved around in the wind as he looked out toward the sea. It never ceased to amaze him even after all these years.

?Say Ivan, how long you home for this time? I can never keep up with when you are or aren?t here. Heck, I?m still not even sure what it is you do.?

?We head out in two days? and for what feels like the millionth time I?m the ship?s engineer Kyle. My ship runs in top shape at all times.?

?Yeah, yeah? I get THAT part I just don?t get what it is everyone else is doing leaving for months at a time so frequently.?

?Does it matter? I?m an engineer and I keep the ship running.?

?I s?pose you?re right??

Ivan downed the rest of his beer and threw a few dollars onto the bar as he stood up and stretched. Much as he wanted to, he couldn?t laze around a beachside bar all day. He had to buy up supplies for the next voyage.

?Well, I gotta get. I?ll see ya tomorrow Kyle.?

Ivan stretched wearily as the alarm went off. As much as he loved to be out at sea doing the job he loved, waking up at four in the morning to get prepped was never fun. He pounded his alarm a little aggressively and forced himself out of bed. The thought that he would be out at sea in four hours was the only thing getting him awake. Snatching a robe hanging from the closet door near the bed, he made his way out and into the kitchen of his tiny apartment. It wasn?t worth investing in a house when he only spent time at home a handful of weeks every year. The smell of coffee greeted Ivan and lifted his mood a small bit. Investing in that fancy coffee maker with an automatic timer was one of the best things he had ever done.

Sipping his black coffee he switched on the television and turned it to the news station. He crossed his fingers as the weather girl appeared to deliver his fate.

?We?ve had some beautiful weather for the past few days but be careful out there today folks. Massive storms will be rolling in and will last throughout the day. Don?t forget your umbrella!?

?Fuck me, just my luck.?

It figures that there would be perfect weather up until it was time to leave port. Looks like this was going to be a rough morning for the crew. With a grumble Ivan sat his now half-empty coffee cup on the counter and made his way to the bathroom to get showered and ready. As hot water ran over him, Ivan could feel himself getting more and more awake. As he awoke he felt his mood worsen at the prospect of having to prep the ship in a storm, it always meant that they would be late on departure.

As Ivan ran a towel through his hair he could hear a lot of racket outside, at first he thought it was just the rain but he soon realized it was much louder than rain should be. He walked out of the bathroom, neglecting to even dress, to figure out what was going on. He peeked out of the lone window in his small living room and saw that it was hailing rather heavily.

?It looks like our earlier prediction of storms might have been a bit of an understatement. We have reports of hail and gale-force winds throughout the area and our meteorologists report that it?s likely to get worse as the day progresses. People are advised to stay indoors when at all possible.?

Before Ivan could even mutter an obscenity to himself the phone rang. He had a feeling he knew who it was and what was about to be said too. He picked up the receiver with a sigh and before even knowing who was on the other line let out a stream of obscenities.

??Uh yeah, we won?t be shipping out today. I suppose you?ve realized that before I could call judging from the novel of vulgarity you just gave me.?

Well? at least he wouldn?t have to prep the ship in a storm today.

That entire morning felt like a blur. After yesterday?s horrific weather Ivan had a ton of last minute repairs to do before they could ship off. The hail and wind had battered the ship pretty well but it was nothing that would prevent them from departing, thankfully. Despite the chilly morning air all around Ivan had an impressive amount of sweat on his brow, which he wiped away with his sleeve. They were just about done with all the preparations and could ship off within the hour. It was already ten o?clock, two hours behind schedule. It was a welcome sound to hear the ships loud horn as it began to shift and head out to sea. Ivan didn?t even give another glance back towards land as they began moving.

Ivan leaned against wall of the ship as he rested. It would only be a few moments but it was a welcome rest. As he stood there letting the cool morning air blow past him, another crewmember walked up with a smile.

?About time we got shipped out eh Ivan? I tell ya, I been restless to get back out to sea ever since I got back home.?

Ivan smiled broadly, ?This is why me and you are best mates Gill, we?re always on the same page when it comes to these things.?

Gill patted Ivan on the shoulder roughly and laughed heartily, ?I tell ya, the sea is my true home. It?s worth the back-breaking labor and endless hours? or so I tell myself at the end of the day.?

Ivan nodded in agreement as he stood up straight and began walking off towards the engine room. He waved his hand in the air as he gave a retreating comment, ?Now if only I could find a girl that thinks like you I?d have my soul mate.?

Ivan could hear Gill?s hearty laughter as he trekked down stairs and through a door into the interior of the ship. He made his way down countless flights of stairs and found himself in the very bowels of the ship. He looked around the engine room, the place he always felt at home on the ship. Ivan picked up a clipboard from a nearby wall holster and walked around the massive room inspecting everything. He checked things off the clipboard as he looked over every nook and cranny. To the untrained eye he even seemed to be looking at things that didn?t look they had a purpose.

?Welp, looks like everything is running in top shape. Does my heart good to know this old ship still runs so well.?

With that he hung the clipboard back on the wall and plopped himself down on some nearby stairs with a relaxed sigh. This was home and he loved it. He began humming a old sea shanty to himself as the loud whirr of the engines surrounded him.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
Re: [NaNoWriMo] Voyages of Life
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »
Ivan stared out at the sea as it was illuminated by the evening sun. Despite being on this very ship so many different times, the view never ceased to amaze him. He took a glance at his watch and saw that it was about time he headed towards the meeting room. All the scientists and other people aboard wanted to have a quick meeting to get to know everyone on board. Ivan wasn?t much for these kinds of social gatherings but he figured he might as well show up. With a sigh he forced his gaze away from nature?s beauty and made his way across the ship and inside.

Ivan was actually a bit surprised at how few people were actually here. Usually these scientists traveled in huge crowds but he saw only two white coats in the room. Also in the room was the captain, Ryan, Gill, and a handful of other swabbies that didn?t ever seem to socialize with anyone.

Awkwardly, but politely, Ivan gave a firm nod to everyone. ?Hello there everyone. I?m Ivan, the engineer.?

Everyone waved courteously and Gill laughed to himself silently, knowing full well how awkward Ivan was with new people. One of the scientists then gave a broad smile and took a step forward to address everyone.

?I?m Jessica the lead scientist on our research trip and this is my partner Lisa. We?re heading towards Southwestern Pacific, near New Zealand and Australia, to study giant squid. A number of specimens have been recovered from that area and we are wishing to find out exactly what kind of habitats and depth ranges the giant squid prefer.?

Typical, these trips always had something to do with giant sea creatures. Why was it such a big deal to study these things anyways? They?re big and mean just leave them alone and let them do their own thing. Whatever, it wasn?t Ivan?s decision and besides, he was getting paid to keep this ship running for the entire voyage so what did he care what the passengers were up to?

?Sounds like a typical enough voyage. We shouldn?t have any problems while we?re out. The plan is to first make port in Nelson, New Zealand to refuel and resupply before setting out on the actual research voyage. I assume there?s no objections??

Ryan spoke like a true leader and captain when it came to his voyages, it was one of the things Ivan admired about him.

?Yes, that sounds like a good plan. It?s been a pleasure to meet everyone and I look forward to spending these few months with you all,? Lisa said with a strangely huge smile. Ivan enjoyed living on the ship but he wondered if these scientists had any idea of what it was like to be out at sea for such a long time.

?With that, I advise we all get some sleep. If all goes well, we should arrive at New Zealand tomorrow night,? Gill gave a quick yawn as he spoke. Ivan was equally as tired after the mayhem of that morning.

?Oh! One more thing. We?d like to stop at a certain point and get some quick sonar data before we arrive at Nelson if that?s alright,? Jessica said excitedly.

?Sonar data eh? That shouldn?t take long? sure we can swing that. I?m gonna head up to the wheel for the night. Sleep well passengers.?

With that Ryan was out the door. Ivan was right behind him to head to his own room.

?Just hope you don?t piss off any giant squid with that sonar data.?

Though he hated to use such a clich? phrase, it was smooth sailing after the mayhem from the storm. The sun hung high in the air and Ivan leaned against the side railing of the ship, watching the waves. He had just finished his second round of inspections for the day and had nothing to do but enjoy the fine weather around them. Normally they would have many more passengers and he wouldn?t have so much free time, he kind of enjoyed it. The sound of the intercom snapped him out of his daze however.

?Attention crew. This is where we will be stopping to collect our sonar data. Remain on standby in case of emergency.?

?Heh? suits me just fine. I?m on standby anyways. I just hope them white coats are quick with this sonar crap.?

That was wishful thinking. It was a full hour before they were once again on their way. Quick indeed? damn white coats have a skewered perception of ?quick?. At this rate it would be well into the night before they would arrive at port. This voyage just didn?t seem to want to go on without kinks. Ivan let out an annoyed sigh as he walked back down to the engine room to do his last inspection of the day. As expected, everything was still in top condition. At least the ship itself wasn?t having any problems, that fact alone comforted Ivan.

?I figured you?d be hiding down here. Damn if you aren?t the most dedicated person on this ship.?

?I knew it was too quiet for once? and right on queue it?s Gill the quiet breaker,? Ivan said with a hearty laugh as Gill walked in and took a seat on the stairs next to Ivan.

?You call this quiet man? I can barely think with those engines roaring.?

?Ah whatever. How?s life up on deck? You having as easy a time as I am this voyage??

?I barely have anything to do what with only two actual passengers on board. This has to be the cushiest voyage we?ve ever had. Almost feels as if it?s too easy.?

?I hear ya man? after the chaos of trying to get everything prepped for leaving port it?s just been quiet as ever. Heck, if it wasn?t for them white coats taking an hour to get data we?d be arriving at port soon.?

?It?s funny how you dislike science so much and yet all we usually get are research trips. Ah well? we?ll be arriving soon anyways so no worries.?

With that Gill stood up to head back up to the deck. As he departed Ivan called out with a sarcastic tone, ?With their conception of time we may be out here all year.?

Gill gave his trademark hearty laugh and continued out the door. Was it bad that Ivan wouldn?t mind being out here all year?

The sound of the intercom jostled Ivan awake with a jolt. He had gone to his room to rest a bit before they arrive at port and must have dozed off.

?Attention crew and passengers, we have arrived at Nelson. We will remain here until tomorrow morning at 8 o?clock.?

Ivan scratched the back of his head and let out a large yawn. Taking a look at his watch, it seemed he had only been out for about forty-five minutes.

?I guess Gill was right, we did get here sooner than I thought we would??

He shrugged it off and jumped out of his bed, landing with a soft clunk on the metallic floor. Since they were at land he would take to his second favorite hobby, locating the best local bar and putting down a few. He had to admit that even if he did love being out a sea, finding bars in new areas he had never been to was equally as enjoyable.

As he opened his door and walked out he very nearly collided with Gill, who was just about to knock on the door that suddenly had opened.

?We both have the same plan don?t we??

Ivan gave Gill a look as if to ask what kind of question that was, ?Of course, it?s our tradition isn?t it??

He plopped a hand on Gill?s shoulder as he shut his door behind him. This would be a fun night after the hell they had been through trying to get here.

?And I do believe it?s your turn to take the bill good sir,? Gill said happily, perhaps enjoying that fact a bit too much.

?Yeah, yeah? but I?m not dragging you back here like the last time it was my turn to pay. I won?t feel bad about leaving you, you know.?

Gill waved as if to shrug off the very idea of his friend abandoning him and almost sprinted towards the stairs.

?Well what are you waiting for? Let?s get to it!?

Ivan shook his head and laughed a bit to himself. Gill was always so enthusiastic in contrast to Ivan?s? lack thereof. Maybe that?s why they were such good friends. Oh well, time to make the night good. Ivan ran after his friend and they would soon be having a night of exploring and drinking. He just hoped that the citizens of Nelson didn?t think too badly of them by the time they were done.

It wasn?t long before they had found themselves at a local pub called ?Ally Cat?s?. It was filled with locals all casually drinking and conversing. In the back was a pool table where a number of men where laughing loudly and playing what looked to be a very close game of cut throat. Ivan and Gill walked up to the bar and took a seat, making sure they were comfy since they?d be there awhile. A tall red-headed woman was behind the counter and she smiled warmly at them, her teeth almost glowing the dim lighting of the bar due to how white they were.

?Ah, a couple of sailors I would guess. What can I get you boys tonight??

?Whatever the locals are drinking,? Ivan said with a smile. He always loved to try something new when he was in another country.

?Aye, same for me beautiful,? Gill said with a wink. They weren?t even there for five minutes and already he was starting with the relentless flirting. It would only get worse as more drinks found their way into him.

?Comin? right up handsome.?

She immediately conjured up two bottles of Speight?s Gold Medal Ale. Ivan and Gill looked at each other with a smile and clinked their bottles together in a toast.

?Here?s to the next few months being as great as tonight!?

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
Re: [NaNoWriMo] Voyages of Life
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:59:24 AM »
EDIT: Copypasta crisis averted. Sorry about that folks. Blame my malfunctioning usb mouse.

Ivan and Gill stumbled clumsily and stupidly down the street in a panicked hurry. The morning sun behind them was illuminating their way. Ivan looked at his watch once more to be sure he wasn?t dreaming. Eight o?clock.

?Shit man we?re supposed to be on that ship now! Are we even going the right way? I should have paid more attention to how we got here damnit.?

Ivan was quite clearly pissed and panicked. He had never missed the ship like this and he didn?t want to start now. Gill was right behind him, a lot more out of breath than Ivan was.

?Well? at least? we didn?t get mugged? or murdered? being passed out on the street? like that. Be positive.?

?Shit Gill I can?t be positive when we may very well be stranded in another country for who knows how long.?

They raced down streets trying to figure out where port was. It seemed like they had been running for hours before they finally saw the glowing sparkle of the ocean and they took off in a full tilt sprint for port. Maybe they would make it after all, maybe they hadn?t left yet.

??Shit.?

Wishful thinking. As they slowed down at the port they could see their very own ship, miles away on the water? without them. Ivan simply fell down to his knees, partly for being in disbelief and partly for just being worn out for running all over the town.

?Well this is just great? they won?t be back for another week. We?re stuck here with nowhere to go? the ship is without an engineer and? whatever it is you do. What if something happens to the engine? Does anyone else know how to fix anything??

Gill has never seen this panicked, worrisome side of Ivan before and it freaked him out. Without any idea of what to say or do he simply stood there dumbfounded.

?Well if it isn?t my two sailor boys. Missed your ship did you??

Ivan turned his head to look behind him and saw the bartender from last night standing there in an elegant green dress. Her smile was still blindingly bright even out in the morning sun. Ivan couldn?t think up any viable response and simply pointed out to the ship that was barely even visible on the horizon at this point. In Ivan?s sudden muteness Gill managed to speak up for the both of them.

?Well? uh Ma?am. It seems we drank perhaps a bit too much last night and well? yeah that ship left without us.?

?Call me Irene hun. You two were quite the party last night, I guess it?s to be expected of a few rowdy sailors. Look, I got a spare room above the bar with two empty beds for ya. Stay with me until your ship is back at port again.?

Ivan was dumbstruck, was? was she really going to house them. Suddenly she looked like an angel.

?Irene? really? You are a savior and a very good friend. How can we repay you??

?I thought Gill was the sweet talker? Look it?s no problem at all. As for repayment? Just having some company around is payment enough, especially some handsome rogues like you two. Now pick yourselves up and come back with me to the bar. I?ll show you your room and get you some clothes to wear.?

Ivan picked himself up and was grinning from ear to ear. This woman was a savior sent from the heavens. Gill was smiling as well, they really had some good luck when they needed it.

?I think New Zealand is officially the favorite place I?ve ever been to.?

Irene stood outside the bedroom door, impatiently tapping her foot on the wooden floor.

?I swear you two take longer to get ready than a woman. What?s the hold up in there fellas??

Ivan and Gill looked at each other with a laugh as they hurriedly put on the clothes Irene had provided for them. They were old and a little ragged, consisting of basic jeans and some long-sleeve sweaters. They seemed to fit them perfectly though and were quite comfortable. Just as Irene was about to bang on the door once more Gill opened the door with a warm smile.

?Well, well. Looks like a perfect fit boys. I?m glad I could get some use of my late husbands old clothes after all these years. Dunno why I even kept them.?

Ivan gave Irene a look as if to apologize but she waved him off dismissively.

?I?d like to treat you boys to one of the best local restaurants here in Nelson. Since you?re going to be here awhile you might as well experience the real local life of New Zealand.?

?You are too sweet to us Irene, really. I can?t thank you enough.?

?Aw hush up now. It?s nice to have some folks from out of country here, I tell ya I go bored out of my mind some days with nobody to talk to but people that have lived here their entire lives.?

The three of them walked down stairs and out of the closed bar. The streets were rather lively with people walking here and there. Many different shops lined the streets and they all seemed equally busy. Irene lead them to a place that was just up the street from the pub.

?The Harbour Light Store? Sounds like our kind of place,? Gill said with a hearty, contented laugh.

?I figured you boys would appreciate it. They?ve got the best beef stew you could ever imagine.?

?Oh now you really are flattering us Irene. Beef stew is one of a sailor?s favorite meals,? Ivan said happily. This woman was like someone from a dream.

They all walked in and were seated at a table outside where they conversed about the town and the local life for awhile. The waiter soon came up with three steaming bowls of beef stew that he placed in front of all of them. The smell was incredibly appetizing.

?Dig in boys. I?m sure you won?t be disappointed!?

Ivan and Gill didn?t need to be told twice as they immediately began working on just that. As the first bite entered Ivan?s mouth, he wondered if this was what love was.

Staying with Irene was such a fantastic time for Ivan. She showed them around to the town?s finest places and taught them the lore of the area during the day, and at night they enjoyed each others company over good cold beer in the bar. As much as Ivan hated to admit it to himself, he wondered if this was the kind of life he had been giving up to be out at sea so much. He shook it off as worries over how the ship was doing constantly bubbled to the surface of his mind.

?I have to admit? I?m gonna miss you boys when you leave in a few days. This has been the best time this gal has had in a long while.?

That?s right? the ship was due for a refuel and resupply in just two days? Ivan and Gill would be leaving for good then. Ivan honestly felt really bitter about leaving but? he knew he had a job to do and had obligations on the ship. He would eventually get over the bitterness? though he knew he would never forget the kindness and compassion that Irene had showed them while they were there.

?I?m gonna miss you too Irene. I can?t say I?ve ever met anyone so kind and considerate anywhere else. You?ve been a real blessing,? Ivan had to fight back tears as he was talking. Thinking of leaving only made him feel worse.

?I?? Gill started to talk but lost his voice. Ivan looked at him curiously and saw that he was visibly shaking with nervousness? and maybe a little excitement as well. Before Ivan could ask what was up, Gill banged on the counter of the bar as if to rally himself up.

?I? I want to stay here with you Irene. I? I love you.?

Ivan had to force himself to swallow the rest of his beer as to avoid spewing it all over the place. Irene was just as visibly shocked as her eyes widened and she clasped both hands over her chest. The silence was deafening and just when Ivan thought he might actually physically die from the tension of the moment, Irene literally squealed happily and wrapped Gill up in her arms.

?I love you too Gill! I thought I was just crazy but I had no idea you felt the same way!?

?W? what does this mean Gill? are you? are you not going back on the ship when it arrives??

?As if they needed me anyways. I?m just a head swabbie? they?ll find someone else to give that title and they?ll be just fine without me. Besides? love is more important isn?t it??

Ivan was in disbelief. He was serious? he wasn?t going to leave. That bitterness in the pit of Ivan?s stomach intensified until it felt like a molten core inside of him. Not only would he have to leave this beautiful town and this new friend he had made? he?d have to leave his best friend since childhood. He felt like he would be sick but he masked it for the sake of his friends.

?Well it?s about time one of us found love, eh? I?m happy for you Gill.?

That was half true at least. He truly was happy for his friend? but he wasn?t happy for himself when he had to leave. He immediately downed the last half of his beer in a single gulp and wiped his mouth.

?I best damn be the best man at this wedding when it happens at least.?

?There?s no doubt Ivan. We?ve always said we?d be each others best man ever since? forever!?

?I can?t think of any happier moment in my life. Marrying the man I love with the best friend a girl could ask for as the best man. Looks like there was a reason you two got drunk and missed your ship.?

Yeah? so Ivan could lose his two best friends at the same time. What a fantastic reason to end up here. That molten core of bitterness in the pit of Ivan?s stomach felt like it would explode at any moment.

?I think this occasion calls for more beer.?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:13:47 AM by YellowYoshi »