Author Topic: Okuu Quest After - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 82937 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Okuu Quest After - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »

>You are Reiuji Utsuho, and the world is wrong. Now you're going to fix it.
>You are a resident of Gensokyo Isle, an isolated nation located in the Pacific Ocean, established some decades ago in the wake of WWII by the Japanese and American Governments. You live in a small, run down double with your roommate Orin. Your adoptive mother and landlady Satori lives in the other half of the house. You are twenty-one years old, or so you thought, and work as a repair woman for Kawashiro Heating and Air. You know this now to be a life you lived outside of your true self.
>You are also The Subterranean Sun, the heir to Yatagarasu's power. You are feared by many, and among the most power people to walk the face of Gensokyo. You lived in the Palace of the Earth Spirits with your own, Satori, and your fellow pet (practically a sister) Orin. You watched over the Hell of Blazing Fires.
>You think of yourself as a generally well-meaning person. You have a somewhat poor memory, and keep a notepad with you at all times to assist with that. As such, your grades in school were mediocre, and were never able to pursue your dream of becoming a nuclear technician with Gensokyo Research Foundation. In your proper life, you had a tendency to go rather loopy when you took a blow to the head; resulting in a very embarrassing battle with Sanae. However, you've proven to have an aptitude with mechanical things, and have found yourself a comfortable niche repairing heating and air conditioning systems in this life; before you were a friend of Nitori's, but never learned much from her or the other Kappa. You have an inordinate fondness for crows, being a crow youkai this even carried over into your human life and some of the neighbors have complained about your tendency to feed them. You enjoy video games, good music, good food and good times; like practically any normal person your age. You and Orin have managed to secure a comfortable living together, if somewhat spartan. In your proper life, you lived in the somewhat empty Palace of the Earth Spirits.
>You awoke yesterday morning with a profound sense of alienation, and the conviction that everything you know is wrong. It frightened you like nothing you've ever experienced. For nearly an hour, you laid in bed, almost to tears from the absolute terror that you were losing your mind. But, you can't deny it. The world is wrong. What you know is wrong. You do not know how or know why, but you know it is wrong. And, you know that if you told this to anyone, they would think you are mad. Even the few you have shared it with have proven to be very skeptical. It has left you feeling like you are apart of the world, like you're some stranger who woke up on another planet. But, you have resolved not to take it laying down. You have vowed to find out how the world is wrong, and prove you are not going mad. Then you learned the truth. about yourself.
>You have spent the past three days traveling around the island, looking into things. Your memory is terrible and you really should write things down more often. You have discovered a robbery at the harbor, but have no leads on it. You have visited the shrines of the island seeking help, getting different kinds of advice from each; the Myouren Shrine suggesting you look within and look without to compare to what is within, the Moriya Shrine telling you to try to put it out of your mind, and the Forest Shrine telling you to follow your heart. You have befriended Maribel and Renko, paranormal investigators and detectives. You've made friends with a kindly gardener named Yukari. You've investigated rumors of a haunting at the Museum, inconclusively. You have helped your neighbor, Miss Heida, save her house from being accidentally condemned. You've tried to make arrangements for new sources of information from a pawnshop. You've made progress toward being accepted into the University and following your hitherto abandoned dream of becoming a nuclear physicist; you just need to prepare for the exam. You have had a role in getting your adopted sister possessed by a ghost, and having an awakening similar to yours. You have been unusually hungry the past couple days. You've managed to tour the Research Facility and learn of its hidden sections. You have begun a relationship with Parsee Mizuhashi, a conspiracy theorist you met in hopes of getting more information. You've explored the wilder parts of the island, and found it is full of flowers and home to something otherworldly called Stargazer. You have been possessed, in some sense, by the Stargazer as well as some spectral crow; the latter of which has fused with you. You have made friends with Stargazer, but lost contact recently. You have broken into the Research Institute, and found your Fusion Gear labeled as SCP-969. You have awakened, and learned Sanae is part of what happened to the World.
>You just kicked Sanae's ass in a military hangar containing a jet. Payback is sweet.

>If she seems to still have some fight left in her, shoot some more basic danmaku at her while she's down. We want to make sure she's not going anywhere anytime soon.
>Do this while closing the distance between us

>She looks down for the count.
>You close the distance. "You win..." she mutters.

>_

Re: Okuu Quest After - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
>"Ok, now can you tell me how you managed to pull all this off in the first place? Who'd you do it for? You kept saying that I wasn't taking other people into account. WHAT other people?"

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
> Keep charging. Let her know we mean business and still don't trust her.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
>"Ok, now can you tell me how you managed to pull all this off in the first place? Who'd you do it for? You kept saying that I wasn't taking other people into account. WHAT other people?"

>"Yasaka-sama took something from Eientei," says Sanae. "I'm not sure how it worked. I wasn't really involved in the actual task. But, I do know that Koishi had a role in helping rewrite everyone's memories. As for others, look who's happier here. Have you ever seen the likes of Remilia smile a true smile? Have you not seen the peace in Byakuren's face? Or her followers? Have you not seen Yukari enjoying a life without worry for the integrity of the borders? Or Reimu, content in a world that doesn't need her anymore? And, from what Koishi told me, there is your Satori, no longer apart from the world. Do I need to go on?"

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
>"What about lifespans? Will the people who are youkai live abnormally long lives while the humans don't? What about any youkai children? And on the matter of childen, almost everyone in Gensokyo was female! It didn't matter as much when they're all long-lived youkai, but if their lifespans are human now, this is going to turn into an island of old cronies! Even if they still live long, that has a variety of problems on it's own, in the outside world!"
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
>"I'd thought Byakuren was always supposed to be a walking pillar of peace. And Reimu seemed about as cranky as ever."
>Grumble at the fact that she may not be entirely wrong
>How well did we know Koishi? She was often away, wasn't she?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
> Oh God, Parsee is gonna be pissed when we finally get to the bridge.
> Estimate as to how long this battle took.
> "Quick question:  Why did you want to get to the hangar so badly?"

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »
> "Yes, those maybe true, but when you did all this you took away the heart of Gensokyo, Gensokyo existed to preserve the supernatural. Youkai, Magic, truly wonderful things that made it Gensokyo" 

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
>"What about lifespans? Will the people who are youkai live abnormally long lives while the humans don't? What about any youkai children? And on the matter of childen, almost everyone in Gensokyo was female! It didn't matter as much when they're all long-lived youkai, but if their lifespans are human now, this is going to turn into an island of old cronies! Even if they still live long, that has a variety of problems on it's own, in the outside world!"

>"What about lifespans? We both know of the Yama and her ways."
>...Sorta, in your case.
>"There's no shortage of children," says Sanae. "And not everyone here is from the old world."

>"I'd thought Byakuren was always supposed to be a walking pillar of peace. And Reimu seemed about as cranky as ever."
>Grumble at the fact that she may not be entirely wrong
>How well did we know Koishi? She was often away, wasn't she?

>"You don't know them as I do," says Sanae. "Especially Reimu."
>You allow yourself some grumbling.
>You...don't really know her all that well in either world. You thought of her as a kind of aunt, in both cases. In proper Gensokyo, she was very rarely found. she seemed to prefer to hide from people. Here, she's a world traveller, you so don't see her often. But she seemed genuinely loving in both cases, though her smiles felt fake.
>Charge at 20%

> Oh God, Parsee is gonna be pissed when we finally get to the bridge.
> Estimate as to how long this battle took.
> "Quick question:  Why did you want to get to the hangar so badly?"

>Yeah, she is not going to be happy. But she'll probably forgive you after saying a few mean things.
>You've been scrapping a few minutes now.
>"I have my dreams too, Utsuho," she says.

> "Yes, those maybe true, but when you did all this you took away the heart of Gensokyo, Gensokyo existed to preserve the supernatural. Youkai, Magic, truly wonderful things that made it Gensokyo" 

>"Maybe so," says Sanae. "But is that alright in the face of what I've said?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »
> "What you've said would be more convincing if it wasn't a bunch of cherrypicked ends-justifying-the-means that won't even let those affected decide for themselves. Not to mention how shitty Miss Hieda's life is, for one."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:04 PM »
>"You said not everyone is from the old world. What IS this place, anyway? Does the old Gensokyo exist, and we were just transported here? Did Kanako really remake the entire world?"

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
> "What you've said would be more convincing if it wasn't a bunch of cherrypicked ends-justifying-the-means that won't even let those affected decide for themselves. Not to mention how shitty Miss Hieda's life is, for one."

> " Or how about Yuugi's or Cirno's, or other people that were content with the real Gensokyo huh? how about them?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »

>"So you cherrypick on your own, eh?"

>"You said not everyone is from the old world. What IS this place, anyway? Does the old Gensokyo exist, and we were just transported here? Did Kanako really remake the entire world?"

>"I don't know the physics behind it," says Sanae. "But, I am pretty sure it was carried over."

> " Or how about Yuugi's or Cirno's, or other people that were content with the real Gensokyo huh? how about them?"

>"What about them?"

>_

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
> "What about the, WHAT ABOUT THEM!, you changed there life's and all you can say is what about them?"

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
>"Can you take me to Koishi? You said you had a way to restore her memories. I want to talk to her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »
> "What about the, WHAT ABOUT THEM!, you changed there life's and all you can say is what about them?"

>"What about them is wrong?"asks Sanae. "Some people are happiest having authority to rebel against."

>"Can you take me to Koishi? You said you had a way to restore her memories. I want to talk to her."

>"I think, if she wants to talk with you, she'll find you," says Sanae.

>_

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
>"And what I want to talk to her? She had a hand in this, and I want to hear her side of it."

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
> "Changing everyone and destroying their identities is not how you solve their problems. The only thing you've given Remilia is a harder job that bears the load of an entire city. You've given us nothing and have taken away everything that made us who we are!"

>"What about them?"

> "What about them? You've destroyed their lives and reduced them to common thugs, you can't possibly think you're entitled to that! You don't even know if they wanted this in the first place.
> "I'll find a way to restore everyone's memories and dispel the deception you've sown! Nothing in the world can justify whitewashing the truth for petty lies!"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:59:33 PM by headcrabs »

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »
> "In fact, what gave you guys the idea that the world needed to be better in the first place?"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:03:11 PM by Doll Warrior.S »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
>"And what I want to talk to her? She had a hand in this, and I want to hear her side of it."

>"Then I can't tell you more. She doesn't reveal herself to me."

> "Changing everyone and destroying their identities is not how you solve their problems. The only thing you've given Remilia is a harder job that bears the load of an entire city. You've given us nothing and have taken away everything that made us who we are!"

> "What about them? You've destroyed their lives and reduced them to common thugs, you can't possibly think you're entitled to that! You don't even know if they've wanted this.
> "I'll find a way to restore everyone's memories and dispel the deception you've sown! Nothing in the world can justify whitewashing the truth for petty lies!"

>"Remilia got what she desired," says Sanae, "So too did Yuugi and Cirno. You're telling me Cirno and Yuugi weren't common thugs before?"
>"So, you're fine with burdening Reimu once again, and all the other things I mentioned?"

> "In fact, what gave you guys the idea that the world needed to be better"

>"What gives you the right to say it's okay to let others suffer?" asks Sanae. "Are you thinking with your heart, I wonder, or the gifts Yasaka-sama gave you?"

>_

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
> "Stop turning questions around on me. I'm only asking you things because I'm following your suit. I cherrypicked because you cherrypicked. I cast judgment because you cast judgment. You did these things first, not me. My doing them is no worse than you doing them unprovoked. What allows you to do these things?"

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
>"It's not about this power! I love my family dearly, whether you believe that or not. And right now Orin is also suffering because she knows that this world is wrong. And don't tell me that we should just make sure she doesn't remember, and it'll all be alright. She deserves to know the truth. They all do."

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »
> "Okay to let others suffer? OKAY TO LET OTHERS SUFFER?! IS THIS SOME KIND OF TWISTED JOKE?! People do still suffer in this world! Are you really so blind that you can't see that?! All you did is force another world with its own possibilities for suffering on people WITHOUT GIVING THEM A CHOICE! You refuse to see the fault in your own actions and declare that it's better for everyone without getting their own input on it!"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
>"...and what happened to Suwako?"
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »
> "What's with this burdening Reimu Thing? Heck the last two incidents were solved be Patchouli and Reisan"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
> "Just to make things clear, was there anyone who was unaccounted for after the shift?  Also, what happened to the large quantities of magic that the Border held in?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »
> "Stop turning questions around on me. I'm only asking you things because I'm following your suit. I cherrypicked because you cherrypicked. I cast judgment because you cast judgment. You did these things first, not me. My doing them is no worse than you doing them unprovoked. What allows you to do these things?"

>"The same thing that gave you the right to break into the Research Institute," says Sanae. "And that gave anyone the right to deal with incidents. Ask as many times as you like, and the answer remains the same."

>"It's not about this power! I love my family dearly, whether you believe that or not. And right now Orin is also suffering because she knows that this world is wrong. And don't tell me that we should just make sure she doesn't remember, and it'll all be alright. She deserves to know the truth. They all do."

>"And what do you think will happen if they did all find it? What happens when all the old faeries awaken, for instance? Again, you're not thinking very far beyond yourself, and that is what makes me wonder if old habits aren't coming back to you. But do as you will, you've beaten me fairly."

> "Okay to let others suffer? OKAY TO LET OTHERS SUFFER?! IS THIS SOME KIND OF TWISTED JOKE?! People do still suffer in this world! Are you really so blind that you can't see that?! All you did is force another world with its own possibilities for suffering on people WITHOUT GIVING THEM A CHOICE! You refuse to see the fault in your own actions and declare that it's better for everyone without getting their own input on it!"

>"And you want to plunge them right back into their old suffering. At least we gave them a chance to dig their way out. What do you offer but to toss them back in?"

>"...and what happened to Suwako?"

>"She's still around," says Sanae, "As always."

> "What's with this burdening Reimu Thing? Heck the last two incidents were solved be Patchouli and Reisan"

>"Incidents are only a part of it," says Sanae. "But...you have a point there."

> "Just to make things clear, was there anyone who was unaccounted for after the shift?  Also, what happened to the large quantities of magic that the Border held in?"

>"None that lived in Gensokyo," says Sanae. "People such as the Enma were not a part of it. As for the magic, some of it carried over. That's why we can still fly. I am not sure why it lingers. The rest, as I understand, was left behind."

>_

>_

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
>"Does the old Gensokyo still physically exist, somewhere?"
>"And what did Suwako think of all this? You've only ever mentioned what Kanako wanted."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
> "Wait...  The netherworld wasn't part of Gensokyo was it?  Why was the half-ghost here?"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
>"And what do you mean, everyone had been suffering? It seemed pretty alright to me!"