Author Topic: Nitori Quest - For Science, We March!  (Read 116392 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Nitori Quest - For Science, We March!
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:30:55 AM »
>You are Nitori Kawashiro, kappa engineer extraordinaire! In your tiny self-proclaimed Science Shack, you make daily progress toward a revolutionary invention that will enawe all of Gensokyo. You haven't quite figured out what this invention IS yet, but recent progress suggests it probably has something to do with large, volatile explosions. You make a mental note to devote time in the future to studying an easy way to cure burn wounds.

>Character Skills:
Engineer: You're one of Gensokyo's greatest mechancial experts, though your danmaku is somewhat lacking. You can take apart and reassemble most mechancial/electronical objects with ease. Determining their use, however, is a deep magic that is usually beyond you.
Kappa: As a member of a water-faring race, you can stay submerged several hundred times longer than any human. You also swim like a fish, faster than you would walk or fly.
'Upgrading': You carry around a variety of metallic bits and bobs at all times, and can at any point use them in order to modify a weapon or item in your possession. The results of this modification are either ineffective or...interesting, but you won't be sure what you get until the modification is complete.

Inventory:
Bits And Bobs - You keep these in the various pockets of your dress. There seems to almost be an endless supply of them.
Extending Arm - Your first real invention, you came up with the mechanism for this when you were only twelve years old. Depressingly, you've yet to do better.
Optic Camoflague (Damaged) - This should logically give you the ability to turn invisible, but since your last test went awry it's been giving off unnerving buzzing sounds. You haven't had the nerve to try using it since.

Quests:
- Change The World (Incomplete)
You're sure you're onto something with this invention...you just aren't sure WHAT yet.
- Fission Mailed (Incomplete)
Your last experiment did a number on your Optic Camo belt. You'd like to get that seen to shortly.

>Command?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: Nitori Quest - For Science, We March!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:53:15 AM »
> Examine the damage to the optical camo.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »
>Break the fourth wall.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »
> Examine the damage to the optical camo.
>You hastily take the belt apart, and find that some of the inner circuitry has managed to fuse together. As it is, you aren't quite sure what would happen if you turned it on, but it'll take hours to repair properly.

>Break the fourth wall.
>Do you have to? The shack's walls have already suffered enough from your escapades, and it seems unfair to pick on them even more.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »
> Don't turn it on.  If it does explode or something that means it'll take even longer to make a new one.
> Scrounge up some good circuits.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:04:53 AM »
> Check chest for usual growths
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:55 AM »
> Don't turn it on.  If it does explode or something that means it'll take even longer to make a new one.
> Scrounge up some good circuits.
> You regret expressing the command in the negative. The words 'turn it on' hang in your head, tempting.
> You find a box full of circuitry, but you frown as you realise that you don't have any spares around. The Optic Camo runs on a pretty rare set of boards that apparently came from outside Gensokyo...they belonged to some reptile that was rather solid, apparently. Your only choices are to repair the circuit painstakingly by hand, or to throw some gears at it and hope for the best.

> Check chest for usual growths
> Yup, still there. You're not exactly the best endowed of Gensokyo's residents, though you'd like to think you're right up there. Some people keeping insisting it's an optical illusion thanks to the keychain, but it's these people who you're forced to demonstrate the Extending Arm to.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:28:10 AM »
> Repair circuits by hand.

> While doing so, contemplate making Rocket Arms.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:32:31 AM »
>Contemplate overthrowing Lord Tenma

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
> Repair circuits by hand.

> While doing so, contemplate making Rocket Arms.
> You get started on what looks set to be a dull and mundane task, with the absolute highest level of focus required. You can't even turn away for an instant as you tweak with the device. Not a moment of hesitation-

But wait, wouldn't it be great to have Rocket Arms? You could just mess with the Extending Arm blueprint a little, and it'd be a lot more threatening. You'd need a safe to store them in, though-

Click.

Ah. As you look back down, you realise that your hands slipped while you went off into your daydream. The various clicking and buzzing effects from before have stopped, but you get the awkward feeling that something in the belt might be slightly different from the original concept. You're not sure if you can salvage it from this state, either...

> Optic Camoflague (Damaged) is now Optic Camoflague (Broken?)
> Rocket Arms added to Potential Recipe List.

>Contemplate overthrowing Lord Tenma
> The thought of rebellion passes in an instant. No-one can overthrow a ruler so filled with mascularity.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:28:08 AM »
>Consider relations to other people of note.
>Say to hell with the damn camouflage device and go for a walk.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:33:53 AM »
> Contemplate finding test subjects for optic camouflage.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »
>Try to test the optic camouflage in a safe manner, to see how it currently functions. Put the belt on something else, and try to activate it from a safe distance. Faulty devices seem to be prone to doing various unpleasant things, after all...

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 06:29:42 AM »
> Check supply of local currency. Stock up on some cucumbers.
> Add quest: Shave head

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
>Consider relations to other people of note.
>Say to hell with the damn camouflage device and go for a walk.
>SCIENCE is, for the most part, not a social activity. As a result, you can't say you have many friends - in fact, the number of people who know you by name is probably in the single digits. The most notable of them are Momiji, a local sentry for the tengu who you play shogi with on a regular basis, and Marisa, a human witch who took a particular interest to your work.
>You decide to take the malfunctioning(?) belt with you as you take a step outside of the Science Shack. You built it at the foot of the Mountain of Youkai, right next to where your old house was. You remember swearing shortly after your 'eviction' that you would never drop a block of francium into water again.

> Contemplate finding test subjects for optic camouflage.
>Try to test the optic camouflage in a safe manner, to see how it currently functions. Put the belt on something else, and try to activate it from a safe distance. Faulty devices seem to be prone to doing various unpleasant things, after all...
> The belt only works effectively on humanoid subjects, so you would have to find a person to test it on. If worst comes to worst, you may need to find a fairy to trick into using it, but Momiji is probably a good bet at this point. Remote activation shouldn't be too difficult, either.

> Check supply of local currency. Stock up on some cucumbers.
> Add quest: Shave head
> Regrettably, your funding is miniscule. You survive on a day to day basis by collecting change that has been thrown into the nearby river to feed your cucumber habit.
> You already completed that quest once, and your hair still hasn't quite recovered. There's a reason you never take your cap off.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
>Consider if Momiji would normally be open for Shoji right now.
>Contemplate an engine that is powered by controlled explosions, which would turn a flywheel, which could be hooked up to dang near anything.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
>Consider if Momiji would normally be open for Shoji right now.
>Contemplate an engine that is powered by controlled explosions, which would turn a flywheel, which could be hooked up to dang near anything.
> You look down to your wrist for a moment, until you remember that you still haven't got the mechanics down on that handheld watch yet. Looking up to the sky you see that it's around noon, so Momiji will probably be taking her lunch break around now.
> Your eyes glitter with anticipation as a new invention crosses your mind, but the impracticality of that sort of device keeps it as merely a dream...for now.

> Perpetual Detonation Engine added to Recipe List.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
>Head Momijiward! We shall crush her in Shoji and foment rebellion against Lord Tenma

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
>Head Momijiward! We shall crush her in Shoji and foment rebellion against Lord Tenma
> You begin on the walk towards the Youkai Mountain proper. It only takes you a few minutes to reach the foot of the mountain, where a large waterfall hits the start of the river. It's one hell of a climb up from here, though, but thankfully like every other member of Gensokyo gravity is merely optional and you fly upward.

> Momiji sees you coming long before you reach her - unsurprising, given her heritage as a white wolf tengu. Your relationship with her is as thus - you put out an application for an assistant to help with creating a telescope, mainly to create something to match the sight of the white wolves. As usual, you failed, but in that time you and Momiji played a good deal together and became good friends. (You also managed to convince her to play enough money matches that you made back the money you paid her for the job.)

> By the time you finish making it up the mountain, Momiji already has the board set up completely. She's taken Black, of course, but she needs all the help she can get.
"Afternoon, Nitori. Today's almost been too good a day for me, so getting crushed by you will be a nice downer so I can get back to reality."

> You mutter something about rebellion. Fortunately, Momiji's hearing isn't as good as her sight, or she'd likely have killed you on the spot.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 02:47:14 PM »
>"Really, what happened?"
>Have a seat at the board. Commence crushing when turns comes.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
>"Really, what happened?"
>Have a seat at the board. Commence crushing when turns comes.
> "You wouldn't believe it, but Aya hasn't even pestered me once today. I think she's been too busy with that Hatate girl to bother with me. Good riddance, I say."
> Momiji is a defensive player, but her structures are far from perfect. She winces visibly as you begin making cracks in her defenses.
> "Still, what's up? We played yesterday, and we usually only play once a week. Feeling low, and need a little confidence boost at my expense?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »
>"Unmotivated. I had a great idea while trying to fix up my camouflage device, and...kinda killed it. Now I'm just trying to get myself proper inspired. And maybe find some good parts. Has Hatate been behaving?"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
>"Unmotivated. I had a great idea while trying to fix up my camouflage device, and...kinda killed it. Now I'm just trying to get myself proper inspired. And maybe find some good parts. Has Hatate been behaving?"
> "Let me guess. The Rocket Arms again? If the idea keeps coming to you, you should just build the thing already.
Not sure where you could go round here for parts - we leave all the mechanical stuff to you kappa, so yeah.
Hatate? Haven't seen her. She stays locked up in her house most of the day, and Aya's been busy staking her out. I wonder sometimes if either of them actually need to eat."
> The game turns further and further in your favour. You see the consideration of surrender enter Momi's eyes, but her tengu pride forces her to fight on to the bitter end.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
>The greatest mercy she can be afford, then, is a swift and honorable end.
>"Yeah, it was the rocket arms. And as soon as I figure out all the little specifics...Oh, anything been up at the shrine?"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
>The greatest mercy she can be afford, then, is a swift and honorable end.
>"Yeah, it was the rocket arms. And as soon as I figure out all the little specifics...Oh, anything been up at the shrine?"
> Momiji's ears droop slightly as you declare checkmate. Her eyes, though, still seem lively enough.
> "The shrine? Well, their little priestess just came back from her alien-hunting expedition. Apparently got some nice pictures, but never really been my sort of division. Yasaka's been busy working out various odds and ends with their nuclear project, and Moriya...I can never tell what Moriya's doing. Whenever I see her, the googly eyes on that hat always throw me off, and by the time I look again she's gone. Weird."
> Momiji looks to the sky as you finish clearing up the board.
> "Huh, only a few minutes of break left. Anything else you want to do quickly before I get back to work?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
>"Not unless you have something in mind."
>Consider knowledge of the nuclear project.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
>"Not unless you have something in mind."
>Consider knowledge of the nuclear project.
> "Can't say I do. Well, back to work, I guess...not that there's ever anything to see around here." Momiji leaves, returning to her post and leaving you to yourself.
> Of course you know about the Moriya Shrine's nuclear project! Never mind that you had first-hand (well, technically second-hand since Marisa took you there) experience of the insides of the machine - or rather, the bird-brain running it. For all her technological know-how, you can't help but worry that somewhere down the line she'll make a boo-boo and accidentally wipe half of Gensokyo off the map.
After the hot springs incident, access to the Hell of Blazing Fires has been severely restricted - the only people given entry are the higher-ups from the Moriya Shrine and the residents of the Palace of the Earth Spirits. You've tried several times to be given a chance to examine Okuu, but you didn't receive so much as a polite 'no' in return.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »
>Consider what is actually enforcing those restrictions, aside from Nakker/Red White said so. Not that the latter wouldn't be enough on its own.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
>Consider what is actually enforcing those restrictions, aside from Nakker/Red White said so. Not that the latter wouldn't be enough on its own.
> To get in, you would likely have to go through the palace itself, and they're still as unkeen on visitors as usual. Even if you were to get past them, Okuu would be less than keen on the idea, and would probably reduce you to a neat little pile of ash. Maybe if you used your Optic Camo-oh wait.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »
>Consider ways to bypass these problems by working out an agreement with Okuu directly about how to help with it - an engineer on call in case anything goes wrong would probably be useful for her, after all.
>Is there any way to communicate with her, at least indirectly?
There was something here once. Wonder what...