Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 76631 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

>You are Reiuji Utsuho, and the world is wrong.
>You are a resident of Gensokyo Isle, an isolated nation located in the Pacific Ocean, established some decades ago in the wake of WWII by the Japanese and American Governments. You live in a small, run down double with your roommate Orin. Your adoptive mother and landlady Satori lives in the other half of the house. You are twenty-one years old, and work as a repair woman for Kawashiro Heating and Air. All of this is wrong.
>You think of yourself as a generally well-meaning person. You have a somewhat poor memory, and keep a notepad with you at all times to assist with that. As such, your grades in school were mediocre, and were never able to pursue your dream of becoming a nuclear technician with Gensokyo Research Foundation. However, you've proven to have an aptitude with mechanical things, and have found yourself a comfortable niche repairing heating and air conditioning systems. You have an inordinate fondness for crows, and some of the neighbors have complained about your tendency to feed them. You enjoy video games, good music, good food and good times; like practically any normal person your age. You and Orin have managed to secure a comfortable living together, if somewhat spartan. You are keenly aware that the world is wrong.
>You awoke yesterday morning with a profound sense of alienation, and the conviction that everything you know is wrong. It frightened you like nothing you've ever experienced. For nearly an hour, you laid in bed, almost to tears from the absolute terror that you were losing your mind. But, you can't deny it. The world is wrong. What you know is wrong. You do not know how or know why, but you know it is wrong. And, you know that if you told this to anyone, they would think you are mad. Even the few you have shared it with have proven to be very skeptical. It has left you feeling like you are apart of the world, like you're some stranger who woke up on another planet. But, you have resolved not to take it laying down. You have vowed to find out how the world is wrong, and prove you are not going mad.
>You have yesterday and some of the day traveling around the island, looking into things. Your memory is terrible and you really should write things down more often. You have discovered a robbery at the harbor, but have no leads on it. You have visited the shrines of the island seeking help, getting different kinds of advice from each; the Myouren Shrine suggesting you look within and look without to compare to what is within, the Moriya Shrine telling you to try to put it out of your mind, and the Forest Shrine telling you to follow your heart. You have befriended Maribel and Renko, paranormal investigators and detectives. You've made friends with a kindly gardener named Yukari. You've investigated rumors of a haunting at the Museum, inconclusively. You have helped your neighbor, Miss Heida, save her house from being accidentally condemned. You've tried to make arrangements for new sources of information from a pawnshop. You've made some arrangements with Nitori to try and meet with people at the University. You've made progress toward being accepted into the University and following your hitherto abandoned dream of becoming a nuclear physicist; you just need to prepare for the exam. You hve begun a relationship with Parsee Mizuhashi, a conspiracy theorist you met in hopes of getting more information. You've explored the wilder parts of the island, and found it is full of flowers and home to something otherworldly called the Forest Spirit. You have been possessed, in some sense, by the Forest Spirit, as well as some Spectral Crow.
>Right now, you are having lunch with Parsee in a little Italian restaurant, trying to explain the day's events with her.

>"I don't know... it doesn't feel like as much of invasion as you might think. Maybe because she's so... alien, and... innocent, even. It's not like having a person following you around."
>"But we can only barely communicate at this point. Kind of hard to set any ground rules this way."

>"But she did seem nearly terrified when I tried to visit the Moriya shrine, earlier. I don't know if she thought I was going to try and exorcise her, or something. Or how she'd even know where we were going..."

>"So it's like a little kid following you around?" Parsee asks. "Weird.
>"Well, if I were you, I'd focus on it anyways."
>"Maybe she doesn't like torii?"

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »
> "Well, there's not really any sense going on about that right now. Really, what's more important is what to try and do next. I mean, sure, there's the military place, and the research institute, but how are we going to get into anything like that?"

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
>"Who knows? But I think I've been getting better able to understand her, at least a little. Maybe I'll be able to communicate with it more as time goes on?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »
>"Who knows? But I think I've been getting better able to understand her, at least a little. Maybe I'll be able to communicate with it more as time goes on?"

>"Huh, interesting. I mean, it's not that I have anything against it. Just...no privacy is a really annoying thing.

> "Well, there's not really any sense going on about that right now. Really, what's more important is what to try and do next. I mean, sure, there's the military place, and the research institute, but how are we going to get into anything like that?"

>"Yeah, I've been thinking about that," says Parsee. "You said you had people with university contacts, right? I'd follow that up. And there's that Ace person, if she's a hacker, we'll need her help... As for the base. Well...do we know any Americans? Or, maybe, can pass off as them?"

>_

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
>"My boss, Nitori, said she had some university contacts. I think she's been out of touch for a while, though."
>"I'd be curious if Ace has actually dug anything new up since I was talking to her last. Probably ought to check my email when I get the chance."
>"Well, that shrine maiden could have been an 'in' with the base, but at the moment I don't want to terrify my 'guest' by going back there, until we've explored other avenues."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
>"My boss, Nitori, said she had some university contacts. I think she's been out of touch for a while, though."
>"I'd be curious if Ace has actually dug anything new up since I was talking to her last. Probably ought to check my email when I get the chance."
>"Well, that shrine maiden could have been an 'in' with the base, but at the moment I don't want to terrify my 'guest' by going back there, until we've explored other avenues."

>"I'd definitely get on Nitori," says Parsee. "And I'd be really careful around military personnel. You don't know where their loyalties are."
>"And yeah, check that email."

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
>"Oh, by the way, I fixed up the house condemnation issue this morning. Seems part of the house inspection got put into the wrong file. So, papers were straightened out, and everything's fine now. Tenma's either uninvolved in this, or a very smooth liar. The Nue connection is looking less plausible. Of course, I still think there's something more up with it. I mean, we know Aykuu was hiding SOMETHING, and SOMEONE filed a complaint about her house with the City that led to this in the first place. Might be a totally separate issue, though."

>"Anyway, how's your day been?"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
> "It would also seem that someone saw me "mugging" Nue in front of the daycare..."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
(....would you believe that it never occurred to me that Nitori could be talking about us...? I was about to say 'You know, that wasn't us' until I went back and reread that scene. I'd thought it took place in an alley, rather than out in public, and hadn't noticed that the nursery was even nearby. However, it is a PLANT nursery, not a PERSON nursery.)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
> "It would also seem that someone saw me "mugging" Nue in front of the daycare..."

>"Well shit..." Parse frowns. "Hopefully they didn't see our faces. "

>"Oh, by the way, I fixed up the house condemnation issue this morning. Seems part of the house inspection got put into the wrong file. So, papers were straightened out, and everything's fine now. Tenma's either uninvolved in this, or a very smooth liar. The Nue connection is looking less plausible. Of course, I still think there's something more up with it. I mean, we know Aykuu was hiding SOMETHING, and SOMEONE filed a complaint about her house with the City that led to this in the first place. Might be a totally separate issue, though."

>"Anyway, how's your day been?"

>"Well, that's good. The sorting out part, I mean, not the hiding something part. I really think she's being blackmailed, myself."
>"My day...well, not that bad. I've kinda spent most of it either cleaning up or dealing with trolls and gloaters...Oy. Not that I wasn't ready for the latter part."

>_

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
> "Trollers will troll, haters will hate. You've seen this stuff first hand, so at least you can always have the last laugh and know that your right and they are wrong."

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
>"Yeah, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she was. But who's doing it, and over what, I wonder?"
>"Ha. Getting a lot of 'told you so's from the paranormal crowd? Not that most of them have ever seen a ghost before, either, I'll bet. Oh well, roll with the punches, I guess. What is, is. Whether we like it or not..."

>"Anyway, we ought to order something. I'm starving."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
> "Trollers will troll, haters will hate. You've seen this stuff first hand, so at least you can always have the last laugh and know that your right and they are wrong."

>"Yeah, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she was. But who's doing it, and over what, I wonder?"
>"Ha. Getting a lot of 'told you so's from the paranormal crowd? Not that most of them have ever seen a ghost before, either, I'll bet. Oh well, roll with the punches, I guess. What is, is. Whether we like it or not..."

>"Anyway, we ought to order something. I'm starving."

>"Who knows?" says Parsee with a shrug. "Well, I could probably dream up a few things."
>"Oh, those kind are no problem," says Parsee. "It's the people coming in saying 'I told you so!' and 'See how right I was, don't you feel stupid now?' that are the problem, among others. There's a couple accusing me of selling out, though. But they're easy to ignore."
>"Yeah, me too." Parsee flags down the owner, and orders a plate of manicotti. She then looks to you.

>_

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:55 PM »
>"I'll have the fettucini alfredo, please. And put it on one bill."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »
>"I'll have the fettucini alfredo, please. And put it on one bill."

>"I'll have it out in a few minutes!" says the owner, as she moves to check on the other table.
>"So, which one are we going to focus on?" asks Parsee as the owner moves out of earshot.

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 01:21:17 AM »
> "Hm... I don't know. I do sort of think that it's especially unlikely that whatever this is, it has anything to do with the military. I guess we should focus on the research institute first, unless you have any ideas?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 01:26:37 AM »
> "Hm... I don't know. I do sort of think that it's especially unlikely that whatever this is, it has anything to do with the military. I guess we should focus on the research institute first, unless you have any ideas?"

>"Well," says Parsee, "short of posing as American citizens or staff, I dunno... From what I hear, stuff has gotten really lax there since the end of the Cold War. But...I dunno. I tried looking around Wikileaks for both of them, but I wasn't able to find anything. I could try to ask for some help among my online friends, they can dig up stuff sometimes, but that might draw attention... So yeah, the Research Institute seems safer."

>_

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 02:04:57 AM »
>"Any idea how one gets into that place? It looked like there was a fair bit of security when I swung by there yesterday, but it can't all be top-secret stuff going on there, can it? They are attached to the university, after all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 02:50:56 AM »
>"Any idea how one gets into that place? It looked like there was a fair bit of security when I swung by there yesterday, but it can't all be top-secret stuff going on there, can it? They are attached to the university, after all."

>"I think your friend is best for it," says Parsee. "If she has contacts. I know a few of the professors go there."
>The owner returns, giving you another basket of breadsticks and your drinks.
>"Even if we just get only a little look around, it'll help us for when the real deal comes."

>_

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »
>"Well, Nitori knows I'm planning on studying nuclear physics at the university. A lot of their equipment is housed at the research institute, isn't it? It might be possible to convince someone to offer an excited prospective student a look around some of the facilities. Of course, this means I'll probably be chaperoned the whole time, but, as you say, it might still be helpful to poke around the place at least a little."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 03:18:47 AM »
>"Well, Nitori knows I'm planning on studying nuclear physics at the university. A lot of their equipment is housed at the research institute, isn't it? It might be possible to convince someone to offer an excited prospective student a look around some of the facilities. Of course, this means I'll probably be chaperoned the whole time, but, as you say, it might still be helpful to poke around the place at least a little."

>She nods. "Maybe you can get lucky and KO whoever it is? Anyways, we'll get back to this later, now that we have the next step planned. You never really told me much about what you do, now that I think of it..."
>You end up spending the rest of the time telling Parsee about the basics of Heating and AC work. You're pretty sure she won't be able to keep most of the details, for there are a lot of them, but she does her best to follow along and seems genuinely interested in what you have to say. After a little time, the food comes. Your alfredo isn't half bad, a bit garlicly for your taste, but otherwise pretty good. You attack it with more gusto than you expected, you usually aren't this hungry. But between it and the breadsticks, you feel satisfied. Parsee seems pleased enough with her meal. The check comes soon afterward: 23☼, which isn't too bad overall.
>You'll have to be back at work in a few minutes, but you have time to say or do a few last things with Parsee.

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 05:02:22 AM »
> "Well, I guess I should head on back to work. See you later."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »
> "Well, I guess I should head on back to work. See you later."

>"Well get the bill," she says. "You're the one with all of Nue's money."

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 07:48:07 AM »
> Facepalm at self
> "Oh, sorry. Yeah."
> Pay the bill, don't forget the tip

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
> Facepalm at self
> "Oh, sorry. Yeah."
> Pay the bill, don't forget the tip

>Damn your memory.
>"It's nice to see you have confidence in me to deal with these kind of things, at least," says Parsee, chuckling.  "Don't think this means I'm gonna fund any benders on your part, though."
>You pay the bill, and leave a ☼ for tip, a fairly uncommon practice in Gensokyo.

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
> Head back to work

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
> Bid Parsee farewell.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
> Bid Parsee farewell.

>"Alright, give me a call when you're coming over next," says Parsee.

> Head back to work

>You part ways, and head back to work.
>Walking into the shop, you find Nitori at the counter, her face buried in a Chinese takeout box. "Welcome back," she says through a mouthful of food, "Take care of that outdoor unit for me, then we'll load it up and ship it this afternoon."

>_

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 06:56:36 PM »
>Get to work on the outdoor unit
>While working: "Hey, Nitori? A lot of the heavy-duty nuclear physics equipment around here is housed at the research institute, right? I don't suppose they ever show prospective students around the place? I really wouldn't mind getting a look at some of the fancy stuff."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
>Get to work on the outdoor unit
>While working: "Hey, Nitori? A lot of the heavy-duty nuclear physics equipment around here is housed at the research institute, right? I don't suppose they ever show prospective students around the place? I really wouldn't mind getting a look at some of the fancy stuff."

>"Technically, no," says Nitori, "But if someone at the university likes you, they might take you around as a guest to try to entice you toward something. You wouldn't get to see any of their proprietary work."

>_