Author Topic: SoEW RC1 [old]  (Read 54474 times)

SoEW RC1 [old]
« on: May 29, 2010, 02:46:12 AM »
Hey peeps, this is an old release! Head over here for the latest version.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great pride that I finally present

Project Shrine Maiden 2: Story of Eastern Wonderland English Patch
Release Candidate 1!

The patch is now at such a point in development where all that remains to be done is to iron out any bugs and mistranslations, and to get the attention of the LLS/MS patching effort to procure a working .pi image editor, after my failed attempts at making contact.

I'm looking at you,  ?lice Bl?ckb?rn.

As with the half-baked interim patch, separate versions of MAIN.EXE and 東方封魔.録 are provided in order to take advantage of Nyyl's Anex86 font. Install using Editdisk, more detailed instructions and credits are provided by the enclosed readme.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this a reality; to Nyyl, who discovered the means to unpack and repack 東方封魔.録, to TranceHime, who generously provided translations of the bad endings, and to NForza, who not only provided the good ending translations to the LP that I eventually gleamed them from, but later contacted me and helped make sure everything was up to snuff. None of this would have been possible without you guys.

So what are you nine-balls waiting for? Grab the patch and have yourself a good time!

EDIT: A newer version of the Anex86 custom font has been released, grab it here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:00:50 AM by Prime 2.0 »
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Story of Eastern Wonderland English Patch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:46:32 AM »
Just let me be the first to say,

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Herasy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »
Nice work. Although sometimes the game crashes in the music room when I run it under T98. How did you sort out the space issue in the music room?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:07:38 AM »
Nice work. Although sometimes the game crashes in the music room when I run it under T98. How did you sort out the space issue in the music room?

I'm unable to reproduce the crash; Are you using regular, or the suggested English T98-next? Is there anything in particular you were doing when the crash happened? Furthermore, have you used any savestates? I've found that savestates can corrupt the HDI file partially, leading to crashes, so using them is extremely inadvisable. That said, if you could send me your copy in PM, I could find out if it's an issue with your copy of the game specifically, and migrate your savedata to a good copy if need-be.

As for the space issue, there just happened to be a lot of empty space on all the entries.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:10:15 AM by Prime 2.0 »

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
I'm unable to reproduce the crash; Are you using regular, or the suggested English T98-next? Is there anything in particular you were doing when the crash happened? Furthermore, have you used any savestates? I've found that savestates can corrupt the HDI file partially, leading to crashes, so using them is extremely inadvisable. That said, if you could send me your copy in PM, I could find out if it's an issue with your copy of the game specifically, and migrate your savedata to a good copy if need-be.

As for the space issue, there just happened to be a lot of empty space on all the entries.

Regular T98-next, I wasn't using any savestates. I can't seem to be able to reproduce it now either. Just happened the first two times I chose a song in the music room.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:31:34 AM »
Wow, I'm incredibly glad that this was released! Everything seems to be working fine, other than the weird W and V text error that I still don't understand how to fix.

Probably the only problem I have with it is that you use ying-yang over yin-yang, and I don't think the former can be used as an alternative. :S

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:54:53 AM »
Wow, I'm incredibly glad that this was released! Everything seems to be working fine, other than the weird W and V text error that I still don't understand how to fix.

This is what the annex stuff addresses. The T98 version of the files just uses lowercase vs and ws, while the Anex86 stuff substitutes them with #s and $s, which the custom font then replaces with uppercase Vs and Ws.

Probably the only problem I have with it is that you use ying-yang over yin-yang, and I don't think the former can be used as an alternative. :S

GAH, you're right! That's something I'm going to be changing for the next release... I feel stupid now.   :X

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
Thanks for all your work. So far, I managed to get TH02 running without any glitches on T98-Next. However, I did notice that there was untranslated text in the game.

I noticed that the numbers that show up when you collect point items, as well as the text on the side denoting the lives/bombs/power you have are untranslated. Is it possible to change those?

Two of the tracks in the list are still in Japanese. Additionally, when you select a song, the title of the song that shows up on the top (circled in blue) are still in Japanese--The same goes for most of the other songs, including the ones whose names are translated on the list.

There's also this tidbit in the options menu.

Also, I highly recommend you make your instructions much more detailed than it is in the readme file, as in making step-by-step instructions on how to modify the image file on EditDisk.

You need to write instructions along the lines of this:

1. Extract the SoEW Eng patch RC1rar file. It should contain the "MAIN", "MAINE", "OP", and "東方封魔.録" files.
2. Create a copy of your original Story of Eastern Wonderland image file as a backup in case if something goes wrong.
3. Open DiskEdit.
4. Browse for your Story of Eastern Wonderland image file.
5. Select "Anex86 HDD" (This can be used with both Anex86 and T98-Next).
6. Drag and drop the extracted "MAIN", "MAINE", "OP", and "東方封魔.録" files from your desktop into the DiskEdit window. Replace all files.
7. Your image file has been modified. Close DiskEdit.
8. Open your Story of Eastern Wonderland image file using either T98-Next or Anex86.

You need to take into account the fact that many people here have no idea what EditDisk is, much less how to install/modify files with it. Although I'm pretty good with using computer software myself, even I was caught off-guard and got confused as to how to do it because I've never even used this program before.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:22:48 PM by grgspunk »

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply and critique, grgspunk.

This was discussed in the "who is making the PC98 patches" topic, but I'll say it again here: the HUD and pop-up score are most likely .pi images, as I have not found them in any of the bitmaps, text files, or the hex of the executables. At this point in time, I do not possess a means to view or alter .pi image files, though the LLS/MS patching effort does, which is why I've been trying to get in contact with them.

As for the music room, some of the names are simply too large to put in the English translation; for instance, the translation of the first song on the list is "Record of the Sealing of an Oriental Demon ~ Pure Land Mandala". There isn't even enough space to put in the second part, much less the whole thing! As for the text at the top, I thought that it would be neat if you had a means to view both the English, and original names of the songs in the music room. Because the text for the song list and the song names that appear at the top are stored in different places, I was able to accomplish this in the manner you see in the patch.

The text in the menu you identified is from a string 4 characters long in OP.EXE with no empty space; each Japanese letter uses 2 bytes, so I can fit 2 English letters for every Japanese one present. Google Translator spat out "director" for the term, and there wasn't any way for me to rephrase it or shorten it to make it fit, so I left it as Japanese. I am however looking in to finding a way to increase the size of such strings without making the whole thing explode, so maybe we'll see a transcription for that and a few other things in the future. Maybe.

As for the instructions, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to that as this is merely a bugtesting release; I expected that anyone here that would download it would already have some level of experience with Editdisk, especially considering the discussion in the aforementioned "who's doing the patches" topic. I'll see about rectifying that in the next release.

Also, just a little preemptive answer, but the titlecards are stored in strings in MAIN.EXE with no additional space, so it is only possible for me to fit in 2 letters for every Japanese character there, and given that Hiragana is used, this is almost universally insufficient. Furthermore, in most cases the Japanese portion of the titlecard means the same thing as the English portion. I do not expect that I will be making a transcription for these, even if I am given the ability to increase the size of the strings.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:42:32 PM by Prime 2.0 »

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
Oh, so most of those untranslated lines are a space issue, and you left the upper middle text in Japanese on purpose? Well that's understandable.

Just be sure to mention that (and provide the translated versions of the text you couldn't put into English) in the readme/descriptions when you release the final version of the game. Thanks for your work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:01:06 PM by grgspunk »

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work! =)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:19:14 AM »
As for the instructions, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to that as this is merely a bugtesting release; I expected that anyone here that would download it would already have some level of experience with Editdisk, especially considering the discussion in the aforementioned "who's doing the patches" topic. I'll see about rectifying that in the next release.

I was pretty clueless about what to do as well. Admittedly, I don't come into PC-98 threads very often, so it was good to see instructions posted in this thread.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
have yourself a good time!

Story of Eastern Wonderland
:V

Nah, just kidding.  Awesome to see a quasi-finished product!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 04:25:34 AM »
Got to Reimu's Bad Ending 2 and it's good to see everything translated. I'm glad.

You've done well :)

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Good Ending with C, I get a bunch of @======== where I assume there should be spaces. So, uh.
Fly & High!!

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »
Good Ending with C, I get a bunch of @======== where I assume there should be spaces. So, uh.

...whoops. One of the lines was one byte too short. SoEW's endings put those =s through 2byte characters that start on an even byte such as the 2 byte space I use for text alignment because Anex86 puts a dot in regular spaces. Furthermore, not keeping the number of bytes per line consistent causes it to move over once, which is what caused the bug you observed. Its been fixed, and will be in the next release.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:54:55 PM by Prime 2.0 »

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 12:47:42 AM »
Got to Reimu Bad Ending 3...so Bad ending 2 and 3 are fine. (AKA B and C)

I never bothered to check the Good Endings. Since they came out fine in the first release, I thought it would be okay.

Edit: All Bad endings are fine.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:52:13 AM by MaronaPossessed »

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
Got to Reimu Bad Ending 3...so Bad ending 2 and 3 are fine. (AKA B and C)

I never bothered to check the Good Endings. Since they came out fine in the first release, I thought it would be okay.

Edit: Got to Good Ending 1 (A). It looks okay...just minor spelling questioning...

I messed up on this, and it's supposed to be yin-yang. See previous posts.

Also, kindly remove the ending text.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
I shall download this at once! Once my exams in July are over, I shall gladly work with you on PC98 Touhou patches.
The reason I stopped working on it several month ago was a lack of documentation, but I believe you can help me on that point :)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »
I got it downloaded and tried out the anex86 font style. Once I got it all loaded up, I went to the music room to see what it looked like.  But everywhere there are spaces in the text, anex replaces them with +. It looks kinda ugly so I'm using the regular font so I can read it. I don't know if this can be fixed or not.

And yes, I just became a member. :)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 02:16:31 AM »
I got it downloaded and tried out the anex86 font style. Once I got it all loaded up, I went to the music room to see what it looked like.  But everywhere there are spaces in the text, anex replaces them with +. It looks kinda ugly so I'm using the regular font so I can read it. I don't know if this can be fixed or not.

And yes, I just became a member. :)

I thought Anex just added in that dot no matter what... Could you upload the "regular" font you're talking about so I can study it, maybe produce a better-working Anex font?

Also, if you're not going to use the provided font, you should use the T98 patch files, since I image you don't want to see $s and #s scattered about in place of capital Ws and Vs.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 08:13:44 AM »
Double-posting for the bump, it's good news bad news time!

Good news first: ?lice Bl?ckb?rn has contacted me and given me the .pi to .png image converter; though it seems the program to do the reverse is buggy at the moment, though I'm told he expects to have that working at some point.

The bad news is, it turns out the HUD, and the on-field score numerals are not stored in the .pi images(or the bullets for that matter, but that's another mystery all together). Now, while this is definitely a setback, I've not yet given up on finding them.

Bad news aside, work on RC2 is proceeding relatively smoothly, and most of the issues brought up so far have been addressed. Next, I'm going to be looking into the means to extending some of the strings to allow some transcriptions that I previously was unable to make, how to alter the Anex font image to get rid of the dots in spaces, and I'm going to be searching for someone with enough artistic ability to duplicate the style of the handwritten text in the ending images in English; a pre-made font is simply not good enough in this case.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:16:45 AM by Prime 2.0 »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
I thought Anex just added in that dot no matter what... Could you upload the "regular" font you're talking about so I can study it, maybe produce a better-working Anex font?

Also, if you're not going to use the provided font, you should use the T98 patch files, since I image you don't want to see $s and #s scattered about in place of capital Ws and Vs.

The font I'm using is the anex86 font that you can find pretty much anywhere. I'm not sure how to upload it though. Looking on google for anex86.bmp should turn up links. Hope that helped. :) And btw, the translation I'm using is the one not in the anex folder you gave us cause that messes it up too.
Here's a link I found that's the font: http://www.mediafire.com/?ynrwyyzrnmj
And yeah, I'm thinking about getting the T98 emulator just because. It seems that more people are using it. At least I got anex86 running smoothly, even the sound is synched. :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:07:42 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

MaronaPossessed

• and so I shall dream
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
Hm well I use anex emulator. So I guess I'll be one of the few testers for it. Why do people use t98 anyway? Just Curious.

Anyways good to hear that Prime. Keep it up!^_^

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »
Hm well I use anex emulator. So I guess I'll be one of the few testers for it. Why do people use t98 anyway? Just Curious.

It's a superior emulator. Anex86 has problems properly rendering sound and images. When I play the Touhou games on Anex86, the music sounds scratchy, the volume seems low (mono), and some of the percussion/instruments doesn't play properly. In T98-Next, both the music and sound is clear, fuller (stereo) and everything plays properly.

Additionally, when you play on Anex86, it has problems maintaining a smooth framerate. For example, if you go to the music room in Mystic Square and take a look at the falling shapes in the background, you'll notice that the movement of the shapes is considerably more choppy in Anex86 than if you were to play it in T98-Next (the text looks better too).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:35:43 PM by grgspunk »

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »
It's a superior emulator. Anex86 has problems properly rendering sound and images. When I play the Touhou games on Anex86, the music sounds scratchy, the volume seems low (mono), and some of the percussion/instruments doesn't play properly. In T98-Next, both the music and sound is clear, fuller (stereo) and everything plays properly.

Additionally, when you play on Anex86, it has problems maintaining a smooth framerate. For example, if you go to the music room in Mystic Square and take a look at the falling shapes in the background, you'll notice that the movement of the shapes is considerably more choppy in Anex86 than if you were to play it in T98-Next (the text looks better too).

Yes, English T98-Next is by far the superior emulator. But Anex86 is not without its merits, however:

Anex can be configured to render sounds and images better, though the sound is still scratchy with wonky volume and flickering sprites. Also, it's not that it has a hard time keeping a smooth framerate, it's that Anex86 literally sets the framerate cap at 28 FPS, as compared to English T98's 56 FPS.

However, you aren't going to be able to get that full framerate on an old computer, and some computers can't run T98-next at all. Furthermore, Anex has options for key assignment, which can help some people get around bad anti-ghosting placement on their keyboards. Combine that with the ability to replace the font used, and simple familiarity, some people will just prefer to use Anex.

That said, after studying Agent of the BSoD's font, I have reconstructed the custom Anex font; it now looks just as good as the font in T98-next, and has the dots in the 1-byte spaces removed. Furthermore, as part of a modification for RC2, the secondary English letter's + symbol has been replaced with the very same dot that previously showed up in the secondary 1-byte space. Based on the raw text for the original endings, it appears as though ZUN had made intentional use of this dot, which I had retained support for in my transcription with Anex86 in mind. So in RC2, those dots will only be in the places where they are supposed to be; in the endings as extended ellipses.

You aren't going to have to wait for RC2 to get the font though: I'm putting that out there right now.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »
I have a few things to note now.
The new font for anex is wonderful. The capital W's and V's are there not # or $. Although some of the w's and v's seem to be not capitalized in the text. Also the music room has a few spots in the descriptions that the letters are underlined. Look at song #5 at the word "it's" near the beginning. I also had the same problem someone else had with the music room freezing completely. It's never done that before either.
Also for some reason, I can't reach bad ending a anymore. It just freezes instead. The first two times it did this:
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/AgentOfTheBSoD/Touhou%202/S4010076.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/AgentOfTheBSoD/Touhou%202/S4010080.jpg
After the new font was used it was just black.
I could get to the ending fine without the english patch but now I can't. :(
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »
However, you aren't going to be able to get that full framerate on an old computer, and some computers can't run T98-next at all.

Is T98-Next compatible with Windows 7? I plan on buying a new laptop with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate next year.

On a sidenote, you might also want to include download links to both T98-Next and DiskEdit in the readme file for the final release.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:43:03 PM by grgspunk »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »
Is T98-Next compatible with Windows 7? I plan on buying a new laptop with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate next year.

On a sidenote, you might also want to include download links to both T98-Next and DiskEdit in the readme file for the final release.

Yeah, that would be good. I've tried finding a download for T98-Next but they all lead me to their website. I had google translate it but I still don't know which to download. :V
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »

I wouldn't know, but I tried it with Vista once and it didn't work.

As for including the download links in the readme...
Quote from: SoEW English Patch RC1 readme.txt
***Links***

Anex86 configuration topic: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=139.0

Editdisk: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/editdisk/editd165e2.zip

English T98-next: http://www.mediafire.com/?myjyjyett2d
Mirror: http://www.zophar.net/download_file/2143
The links are already there.

Also for some reason, I can't reach bad ending a anymore. It just freezes instead. The first two times it did this:
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/AgentOfTheBSoD/Touhou%202/S4010076.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/AgentOfTheBSoD/Touhou%202/S4010080.jpg
After the new font was used it was just black.
I could get to the ending fine without the english patch but now I can't. :(
I ran into this bug myself when testing; it's most likely due to corruption in some of the files. Use editdisk to export HUUHI.DAT and HUUMA.CFG from the SoEW HDI file you are currently using; these files are the equivalent of score.dat from the later Touhou games. Then, take a clean copy of the game from wherever you got it from, repatch it with the English files, and import HUUHI.DAT and HUUMA.CFG. It should work then.

I should also note that the only time I've seen this happen on T98-next is after using savestates on the file, which seems to mess it up something fierce. Anex is just more finicky, I guess.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but for some reason, you have to extract and import HUUHI.DAT and HUUMA.CFG individually or EditDisk tosses up an error. Not sure why it does that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:09:43 AM by Prime 2.0 »