Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 136641 times)

Matsuri

Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #600 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
And therein lies the problem. Touhou sits at the upper end of the ratio of work I'm willing to put into a game for fun I get out of it. Anything more? Meh, I have more enjoyable games to play.

So that means most arcade shmups suck just because you don't want to put the effort into them? I mean I understand if you don't find them enjoyable, but that's more your problem, not the game's problem.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #601 on: April 16, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
I mean I understand if you don't find them enjoyable, but that's more your problem, not the game's problem.
Saying something sucks is an innately subjective statement anyway. What's your point?

Bananamatic

« Reply #602 on: April 16, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »
Saying something sucks is an innately subjective statement anyway. What's your point?
Touhou sucks. :smug:

Also, we need :trollface:

Matsuri

« Reply #603 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »

My saying something doesn't suck and it's your problem is subjective as well, then.

No. If anything, you'd be better off trolling less. Hint, hint.

Bananamatic

« Reply #604 on: April 16, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »
:coolface: then :V

« Reply #605 on: April 16, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »

Welcome to MotK, totally not a Touhou fanforum

Which should be interchangable with :bananamatic:

Bananamatic

« Reply #606 on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
Which should be interchangable with :bananamatic:
make it happen

Matsuri

« Reply #608 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
( ?_ヽ`)

« Reply #609 on: April 16, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
Your favorite game sucks

Prove me wrong

Bananamatic

« Reply #610 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
tbh

guwange's controls are shit

next non free week dimahoo y/n?

Matsuri

« Reply #611 on: April 16, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
Ugh, pass.

Besides, it won't matter if you end up getting probated for the nonstop trolling. Seriously, it's getting old.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #612 on: April 16, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

hahahah, going to join the whole RFJ bandwagon soon.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

Bananamatic

« Reply #613 on: April 16, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
unfortunately, I'm not trolling

I wish the controls wouldn't suck.

Also getting stuck on the weirdly shaped stages. And those game long chains
hahahah, going to join the whole RFJ bandwagon soon.
The highscore bandwagon, or the "ugh this sucks" bandwagon? :V

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #614 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
The highscore bandwagon, or the "ugh this sucks" bandwagon? :V

Both.

Bananamatic

« Reply #615 on: April 16, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
forgot to ask

in Progear, what does more damage? gunner or pilot mode?

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
That actually depends on what combination you're using. Usually it's gunner mode (Particularly when you're using Chain-α as a gunner), but Ring's wide-shot is insanely powerful at point-blank.

Bananamatic

« Reply #617 on: April 16, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
I can proudly say that I've 1cc'd the first loop without knowing the difference between the gunners

picked Bolt as the pilot because he looks cooler and "military" sounds better than "gambler"
no idea which gunner I picked again...the middle one(Chain or Nail IIRC)...doesn't she have fully homing shots? Also that lizard is awesome :V

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #618 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
The middle gunner is the one that shoots out spike balls really fast. I use Ring + her (Nail) as a combination. It's just easier to rack up gems with them (to me, anyway).
And it seems you're playing the US ver of progear. US version's rank goes up much much slower.

Bananamatic

« Reply #619 on: April 16, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
Yeah, I know. I should change it once I can be arsed :V

EDIT: tried the japanese version

the patterns seem to be denser, but it seems to be irrelevant to survival - did no worse on the first 3 stages than on the US version - rather, more bullets=more score
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:00:18 PM by Bananamatic »

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #620 on: April 16, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
also more extends

Bananamatic

« Reply #621 on: April 16, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »
also more extends
for those who can actually score, yes

and

WHERE IS ZATSUZA
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:17:26 PM by Bananamatic »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #622 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
Previous statement retracted, on the grounds that I made it while frustrated and half-asleep (which lead to lots of deaths, which is why I was frustrated in the first place) :V

That said, can anyone recommend a low-difficulty shmup with lots of explosions so I can blow shit up and relax

Bananamatic

« Reply #623 on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
You can always buy Dodonpachi Daioujou and set it to No Bullets

Or creditfeed. That's how you relax at shmups :V

« Reply #624 on: April 16, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »
To be honest, arcade shmups are just about the last place to look  if you want a 'relaxing' video game.

That said, you could look around for some doujins.  Blue Wish Resurrection and Eden's Aegis on Heaven mode are both really easy, especially with Auto-gaurd on.  Lots of explosions and gold shinies all over the place too.

Oh, and Twinkle Star Sprites, now that I think of it.

« Reply #625 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »
the easiest (yet fun) shmup I know is Battle Mania Daiginjou (it wasn't released outside of Japan, but a translation patch was made, and the game got to be known as Trouble Shooter Vintage). Just make sure that you've selected 8-way firing mode, instead of the default 1-way (from the first game, Battle Mania) :p

Why is this game easy? Because you have a lot of extends on your way :p

Also, you may want to check Armed Police Batrider on Normal Course (which features 5 stages -- not counting additional stages, namely, Coliseum, and/or hidden boss fights, and/or Stage Edit, which allows you to skip some stages, besides choosing the stage order --, instead of Advanced's 7 stages). If you don't try to use the secret characters, or learn how the hidden bosses are summoned, you can avoid said hidden bosses as well.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #626 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »
Enigma: in lagless mamep99..
1 ) you can press Tab, then go to Custom Buttons, then press 1 while highlighting P1 Custom 1(this enables the Custom Button function).
2) next, you assign the key you want to use in P1 Custom 1 in Input ( this game ), *and* set the Fire button of your choice (P1 Button 1) to accept both the current Fire button and that custom button (you may use Esc to erase the current configured keys for that setting if needed, and then reenter the fire key, then reenter the custom key)
3) now, in Autofire Setting, enable P1 Custom 1; you may alter the P1 Autofire Delay, if you wish. After all these steps, you've successfully configured a custom key that triggers the P1 Button 1 and has Autofire enabled for it.

Lumber: I think that most of us liked these games, because their gameplay was interesting. Of course, you may not like the "feel" of the gameplay (pattern outlooks, pace, scoring tricks, etc.), but their scoring mechanics do help them have their own identity. But fear not, eventually you'll change your mind and give these and other arcade shmups another try, and will be surprised (with your own progress and/or with the fun in the gameplay, past the troublesome parts that kept you from enjoying said games) :p

Also, keep in mind that, for most shmups, when you start playing them, the latter stages are usually more fun than the first ones, which are usually re-run after mistakes/restarts. When you feel yourself progress, then you'll start wanting to play more, I think :p (however, progress isn't something that's entirely in our control, so don't stress yourself about it  :yukkuri: )

edit: for Enigma: about Dodonpachi's chaining system, while it encourages stage memorizing and enough practice (in order to execute and internalize the routes intended by the player), you may, in some situations, dynamically maintain your chain by having a mental timing of it. Knowing, and then (after you're experienced enough with chaining) feeling how much enemies you've taken out and if it was with lasers or shots, you may not even need to look at the chain gauge, because most of the times you'll be too busy chaining, while hoping that you got the timing right. Keep in mind, that enemies destroyed with shot gives a slight better increase in your chain gauge than lasered ones, however lasers destroy enemies faster. Also, lasers do take a time to reach enemies, so if you laser an enemy while your chain gauge is really low, how close you are to that enemy does make a difference if you can maintain the chain or not.

One thing I have to say, against DDP, though :p
The amount of memorization that it seems to require, for key enemies, is uncomfortable. Dunno if it stays that way later :p (also, the fact that one mistake at the worst possible times can really cripple your score. But at least the pursuit, the climb, is fun for me, so far)

Edit 2: still for Enigma, forgot to say that I had perhaps less difficulties to adapt myself with chaining times, because I trained that (the blind chaining timing) on PoFV, which rewarded me with massive bullet-canceling chains :p (and all those yellow BONUS!] messages :p)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:09:54 AM by shadowbringer »
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #627 on: April 17, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »
Enigma: in lagless mamep99..
1 ) you can press Tab, then go to Custom Buttons, then press 1 while highlighting P1 Custom 1(this enables the Custom Button function).
2) next, you assign the key you want to use in P1 Custom 1 in Input ( this game ), *and* set the Fire button of your choice (P1 Button 1) to accept both the current Fire button and that custom button (you may use Esc to erase the current configured keys for that setting if needed, and then reenter the fire key, then reenter the custom key)
3) now, in Autofire Setting, enable P1 Custom 1; you may alter the P1 Autofire Delay, if you wish. After all these steps, you've successfully configured a custom key that triggers the P1 Button 1 and has Autofire enabled for it.

Though it should be noted that most Cave games have built-in autofire settings that you can access through maintenence mode(press/hold F2, go to button C setting and turn autofire on), and it feels a lot smoother than Shadowbringer's method above, which I tried using before I learned about the built-in option.  It's amazingly useful in some games.  Trying to play Guwange without autofire is absolute torture for instance. :p  I also found that the above method caused Guwange's controls to glitch out in a lot of places where there were a lot of enemies/bullets on screen(for instance, I would always become immobilized during the final pattern if I tried to focus).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:19:53 AM by Azinth »

« Reply #628 on: April 17, 2010, 12:24:43 AM »
In most Cave games, even with moderately-paced tapping you can maintain a steady stream of unfocused shot, which is nice. A game like Air Gallet I found to be really painful to play due to how quickly I had to tap the shot button to do any real damage; I really need to get around to compiling MAMEUIFX to get an autofire feature. But I'm lazy.

Bananamatic

« Reply #629 on: April 17, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
Wait, what's bad about Dimahoo again?

It's better than Dodonpachi. :V