Author Topic: ※ Danmakufu Contest #5 ~ Who are these people? ※ Info thread  (Read 51368 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Introduction
After four contests we kind of came to a conclusion that creating interessting contests each time is quite a pain in the ass. That is why Blargel came up this time with an even (hopefully) more fun contest. As the title reads, you will be creating spell cards for the forgotten characters in Touhou. The rules show the list of allowed characters. Read them carefully.

This contest will introduce divisions to give newcomers a chance to shine in the spotlights as well. Therefore two divisions will be available: Normal and Lunatic. Newcomers may choose to signup for Normal or Lunatic if they think they can handle it, but Experts are expected to sign up for Division Lunatic. Each division has its own judgement. Judging is going to be probably one of the biggest challanges in this contest. But it is worth the experiment. For this contest we will be having three judges: Helepolis (me), Blargel and a guest judge who will remain unknown. The unknown judge will bestow the judgement that counts twice as much as our judgement. This is all done to make it more exciting and more surprising. If we detect experts intentionally signing up for the lower division, we will disqualify that script. So think carefully in which division you belong. Read below to get an idea of the requirements:

Division S: Lunatic ★★★★
- You are quite expirienced with Danmakufu.
- Functions and code is like the language you speak in real life.
- We expect you to produce somewhat graphical content with relative clever mechanism

Division C: Normal ★★
- Newcomers or people with avarage expirience.
- You understand the basics and perhaps somewhat advanced functions.
- Graphical content and mechanism is not a problem if you cannot manage this.

Rules ze!
Below the rules are presented for this contest. They are bit lenghty this time, so my apologies in advance.

To join: (Sign ups are closed)
- Post a reply in the Sign up thread stating your nickname and what division you want to be in. Example: Helepolis division lunatic

General
- No custom player characters other than Danmakufu Reimu, Marisa and Naut's Sanae
- We advice #Player[FREE], but if you wish you may force characters, as long as they are the ones mentioned in the previous rule.
- Dialogues are allowed, but keep them reasonable.

The content
- Select one (1) boss: Daiyousei, Tokiko, Three Mischievous Fairies, Koakuma, Rinnosuke, Lily white/black or Akyu
- If you select Rinnosuke, you should script a Rinnosuke. If we spot any signs of stupid Mannosuke fanon we will instantly disqualify you.
- In case you selected three fairies, we expect you to create all three together.
- Four (4) attacks allowed, but the maximum spell card limit is two (2).
- Maximum one (1) survival card with a maximum of 90 seconds.
- Obviously your script should be a plural or stage (in case of dialogues).
- Multiple difficulties are accepted (Just keep it limited to Lunatic as maximum difficulty. No LuNAUTic or Flanchan.)
- Write a small 'ZUN style' note on each spell card explaining the name and the card itself. (Think of Grimoire of Marisa)

Disqualification
Disqualification is not an amusing thing, we hope this doesn't occur, but keep in mind:
- Your script should be "extract-and-play" style. We are NOT going to bother fixing your scripts. So test them proper for errors and playability.
- Stealing bluntly other people's spell cards without permission is considered theft.
- If we detect experts/experienced people inside the Normal division you will receive a scoring of 0,0.
- READ THE HOW TO SUBMIT SECTION, Failing to meet up the requirements will lead to instant disqualification.

How to submit
- Upload your script somewhere where we can grab it without problems. http://bulletforge.org/ is a nice place to upload for supporting Blargel's work. (other alternatives: dropfox,mediafire,zshare).
- Post your script INSIDE the division thread where you belong. Your post should contain:
  • game type (stage or plural)
  • name of your boss
  • title of your game (if present)
  • and a short description (mini plot) of the game.
  • Grimoire of Marisa/ZUN style
- I don't want essays/stories in your post explaining it. I want CLEAN posts.
- Don't post multiple times, but EDIT your post to submit an update or new version. No cross-through editing, I want full post edits. Aka, ONE url for download.
- You are free to modify your script until the closing deadline.

The Yamas of this contest
Three judges will be summoned this time for this contest, which two of them are known and one guest judge who will play a major role.

Helepolis - Judgement score counts 1x
Blargel - Judgement score counts 1x
Mystery Youkai player - Judgement score counts 2x

Each judge will give score on the scale: 0 - 10. The average from all three scores will be the final score.

Deadline
- Contest starts on 14th of March 2010 (on the day of Reitaisai) 
- Deadline: 11th of april 2010 at 0:00 GMT+1

Questions? Ask them here. NOT in the sign up thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:59:40 PM by Helepolis »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: ※ Danmakufu Contest #5 ~ Who are these people? ※ (Info thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »

- - - - - Results will be posted here soon - - - - - -
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:59:05 AM by Helepolis »

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
*blatantly promotes BulletForge as a place to host the entries.*
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
did you really have to make 4 threads for it? :/

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
did you really have to make 4 threads for it? :/
Yes, the Mistress Remilia Scarlet wanted so. And we all know what kind of spoiled bitch she is.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
Are we using Naut's Sanae and the default Reimu/Marisa? We could manually program it to only use those (and check for them to create player-specific dialogue, if we want).

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
Are we using Naut's Sanae and the default Reimu/Marisa? We could manually program it to only use those (and check for them to create player-specific dialogue, if we want).
Naut's Sanae is a fact and for Reimu and Marisa the default indeed. I'll have to put this in the rules, to clarify it. But for dialogues it would be indeed either Reimu, Sanae or Marisa

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
Is it O.k. to use original ZUN pattern as base?

like the attacks of Momizi, Lily or Daiyousei?

(insert okuu spellcard startup sound here)
---EDIT---EDIT---EDIT---EDIT---

A few more things come to my mind...
Additional/personaly made Cut-ins allowed?
Do we need to add music?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:40:42 PM by Danielu Yoshikoto »

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »
Of course it's fine to use their original attacks as their base. However, keep in mind that the only attacks that each of those three have are only nonspells. Their spellcards may or may not follow the same gimmicks.

As for the other questions, do whatever you see fit for graphics and sound. Considering how there are no in-game portraits for any of these characters, you'll have to find or make your own cut-ins anyway.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
[...]your own cut-ins[...]

Danmakufu Script Art Slave GO! *points at friend who did cut-ins for a character once*

So yeah... still 45 minutes to go till I get to finally start scripting.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:19 PM »
If we spot any signs of stupid Mannosuke fanon we will instantly disqualify you.
Tch.

Uh I mean ahaha who the hell would do that anyways right? ahahaha

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
I vote to remove Momiji from the list, since she has spellcards in Double Spoiler.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »
Your list of characters seems rather incomplete to me. Since we're also talking "extended universe" touhou here(only reason you'd include Rinnosuke, Akyu, or the mischievous fairies), shouldn't Maribel, Renko, Tokiko, the Watatsuki sisters, not-Reisen(IoTE&IoTM), and that male guard from SSiB be included?

And what about Youki, Ruukoto, Sokrates, YuugenMagan, and all of those nameless PC98 midbosses? All you have there are the "mainstream" unknown characters.  :V
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:58:08 AM by Prime 2.0 »
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:06:28 AM »
I have a feeling we'll be seeing a separate PC-98 contest at some point in the future.

I hope so.  That's the only way I'm accepting not being able to craft spell cards for Rikako Elis Kikuri or something.  Hm.  Well, maybe I'll take a shot at this, maybe.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:09:11 AM by Garlyle »

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
Yeah... take momiji out...
That makes my decision a LOT easier.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
I will have a talk with Blargel. Momiji indeed appears as an official spell card girl now. So she will be removed and I'll think about adding to the list.

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »
One question =w=/

- No custom player characters or buildin characters allowed. Danmakufu Reimu, Marisa and Naut's Sanae are the ones being used by the judges.
Did mean I must include Sanae in #Player[****]?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
Well, we could just leave it #Player[FREE], can't we? Just because the judges will only use certain characters doesn't mean we have to limit the script to be playable only with these characters.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
Yes leave character select code FREE.

The usage of Reimu Marisa and Sanae is purely intended for people who are planning to make dialogues or what so ever.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »
Hmmm, I suppose Momiji should be removed. As for Prime's suggestions for additional characters, I already mentioned Tokiko to Helepolis (but I think he forgot). I would say to include Maribel and Renko but since they're from outside Gensokyo, it should be fairly obvious that they would have no spellcards. As for the characters from SSiB, I have no idea.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
Hmmm, I suppose Momiji should be removed. As for Prime's suggestions for additional characters, I already mentioned Tokiko to Helepolis (but I think he forgot). I would say to include Maribel and Renko but since they're from outside Gensokyo, it should be fairly obvious that they would have no spellcards. As for the characters from SSiB, I have no idea.

I am all for including Tokiko, Maribel, and Renko.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »
Tokiko is suposingly in Gensokyo, Maribel and Renko not.

The other SSiB folks like Reisen (ReisenII), the himes and others are Lunar citizens. This may sound a bit elitism but at this rate more and more will appear and the list will become too large. Let us keep it Gensokyo only as much as possible.

@ Blargel, no I didn't forget I just waited your appearance on IRC :V Which you didn't. I'll replace Momiji with Tokiko and alter the player character usage rule to make it more clear.

※ Danmakufu Contest #5 ~ Who are these people? ※ (Info thread)
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
VideoGameCrack, division Normal.
Sercan - Division Normal

I thought you were made of sterner stuff.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:18:46 PM by Helepolis »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
※ Danmakufu Contest #5 ~ Who are these people? ※ (Info thread)
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Crack has placed in contests, I think he should be required to enter Lunatic?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:18:56 PM by Helepolis »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
Please refrain from posting discussions and stuff in the sign up thread. I edited their post to give a warning. Obviously VideoGameCrack and CASercan3 are Lunatic users.

Rule changes
- Momiji is now replaced by Tokiko
- Elobrated hopefully the player character/dialogue thing

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
I'm curious, and I don't have time for IRC today to ask you Hele, but what's with Satsuki Rin then? Not that I enter the contest, I'm just curious.

Drake

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »
I think I would rather keep Rin out, for Ijiyatsu's sake. Even if she only really gets one card, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with putting her in. Not that I have any say in it, but yeah.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 02:50:19 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I never bothered to sign up..... Ah well. Do you accept late sign ups?

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 05:04:12 AM »
The signup thread still says [Open]. I don't think you're too late.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
I have been receiving various pms and questions on adding more characters (PC98) and other ones or content stuff. The problem is not the adding, more like the idea behind it. Because if I started adding a character as people wish, it will be unfair towards other people who request something as well.

Contests in general are not always the way you like it, while suggestions are always welcome it doesn't mean that all suggestions are executable or fair. I had some very good suggestions in PM with strong arguments which I had to decline at the end. There is a reason why we specifically made this list of bosses. And swaying away from it would be bad.

My apologies but currently these will be selectable bosses.

Also in the meanwhile I edited several people's posts inside the sign up thread warning them about their division. I didn't change your division because that is your responsibility. So better pay attention to it. I am not going to excuse people if they signed up for the wrong division.

Edit:

Reminder to all danmakufu gurus or new comers, the sign ups will be closing tomorrow at midnight. After this date, we cannot accept new contestants. The submission threads will be available for submission when the sign up thread disappears, your names will be listed inside the opening post. Reminder to read the rules carefully on submission, I am not going to warn/pm or edit anybody for making mistakes or incomplete submissions. Having this many contestants requires organisation which is why all this hassle :V

If you got questions, don't be afraid to ask them in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:44:48 PM by Helepolis »