Author Topic: The Gensou City Chronicles  (Read 3275 times)

Letty Whiterock

The Gensou City Chronicles
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
Episode 1, Chapter 0. Prologue.

-----

Gensou City.

Not the fantastic land you and I have come to know, but an urban wasteland of crime and treachery. It's like something out of a comic book: a gray cityscape filled with people; some driving cars, others walking and avoiding the dark alleyways, a handful living in and on refuse, all that good stuff. Clich?, I know, but it's a sad truth. Without the mediator Reimu Hakurei, the world fell into chaos. The rules she had set in our prior existence ceased to be, and the youkai banded to destroy the shrine she once called home. Without it, balance fell apart, and the borders could not be maintained. Even that Yakumo woman underestimated how powerless she was without the Hakurei priestess around, and before we knew it, our lives had reformed into what we see today. However, few actually recall our pasts. I guess those of us who can remember the truth are either the luckiest or the unluckiest residents of this new land.

Our powers are gone. Yes, the many of us who did have the ability to manipulate many facets of life and the very fabrics of existence have lost our gifts. With the end of Gensokyo came the end of our regal lives. I say regal, because we, the great maidens of Gensokyo, truly did rule over all. We controlled every aspect of its existence. We created order. We created chaos. With us, lesser youkai knew their place. Like commoners in a kingdom, they dared not stand against us, and when they did, they were quickly struck down. Our monarchy was not to be questioned, our castles were not to be assaulted. We were tyrants. We are tyrants no longer. Today, we are no more powerful than the youkai we used to destroy. Now that the playing field is level and we can no longer fly high above the world, we play on their battleground. And we are losing.

From the rooftop on which I live, eat, and sleep, I can see the vast reaches of Gensou City. Many of the landmarks from our beloved Gensokyo appeared to have carried over to this land. The "human village" appears to have done well for itself. Humans have an amazing power to adapt, and it shows. That district is probably the most booming of them all. The Moriya Shrine had become a great church, although I can't say much for one of its former leaders. The priestess Sanae had turned her back on her righteous life to become a lady of the night. Such a loss hit the two leaders of the church quite hard, and the reputation of Moriya had forever been tainted. In spite of this, the church has many followers, both human and youkai alike. Religion has a funny effect. It can bring enemies together and can tear friendships to pieces. Not for me, I say.

Unfortunately, quite a few places have fared poorly. Shortly after the Border Incident occurred, the bamboo forest of Eientei was raided. It was no longer the mysterious maze it once was; much of it has burnt to the ground, revealing the path to the mansion that the princess of the moon called home. Today, it is merely a grave marker. Her immortality faded with the crossover, and despite the power of her servants, the youkai overcame them all and destroyed them. Well, most of them. There were only two survivors: the former phoenix Mokou Fujiwara and myself.

The Scarlet Syndicate. It stands tall like a red stain on our city. What was once a sizeable mansion had become a skyscraper of oppression and terror. Its political power is unmatched in Gensou City. While we have certainly lost our regality, the Scarlet Sisters have somewhat stayed at the top, ruling over the city like twin queens, instilling fear into our hearts. I question how they have this power. As I said, Gensokyo's loss meant that we too lost our power, and yet we still fear them. The only explanation I can think of their "librarian", Patchouli Knowledge. She is a smart woman. The way she handles information is unlike anything I have ever seen. She will bestow much of her knowledge upon you... for a price. There is no doubt in my mind that those who attacked and destroyed my home purchased our demise from her. She knows our strengths. She knows our weaknesses. She knows too much. She is my first target.

My name is Reisen Udongein Inaba, and she will look directly into my eyes.

-----

Episode 1, Chapter 0. End.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: The Gensou City Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »
Awesome.  Assassin Reisen for the win.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »
Hey hey! This is some coal-black dystopian stuff here. I like it.

Also, Patchy doesn't stand a chance.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
Oh god, Letty writes.

Awesomely.