Author Topic: Genetos  (Read 20639 times)

KomeijiKoishi

Genetos
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
http://www.tatsuya-koyama.com/software/wg002_genetos.html

IT'S FINISHED!

FINALLY, IT'S FINISHED!

Game in a nutshell: You start with a Space Invaders-knockoff, then it slowly evolves until you get you the glory of bullethell.

Funny thing: It has been finished at 24.12. (Remember, Japan...)! It's the perfect Christmas gift!

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Genetos
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
Awesome is the only word to describe this. The music, the graphics, the gameplay.
And the last stage is so beautiful ;_;

I hope this guy makes more games, he could be a real threat to ZUN.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
Fantastic concept, and the last stage rounds things off beautifully. Final boss was a bit disappointing in that
Spoiler:
the fight ends immediately when you 'evolve' for the last time
. Maybe it'll be different on higher difficulties.

Oh yeah, don't play on Standard for your first run. The game's absurdly generous with lives and bombs.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
Oh yeah, don't play on Standard for your first run. The game's absurdly generous with lives and bombs.
I started at Beginner because I'm not very good with fast shooting games  :V
But, 20 starting lifes? That's overkill.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
I started with Creator and 1cced all the way to the final attack.  Apparently I wasn't doing something right, because I faced it for like 2-4 minutes and wouldn't evolve, then I turned into an idiot and got a game over.  What do you need to do to change generations, is it just based on score?

But yeah, if this game needs to give you about 18 less extends.  I most certainly didn't deserve to get that far with how I was playing.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
Apparently I wasn't doing something right, because I faced it for like 2-4 minutes and wouldn't evolve, then I turned into an idiot and got a game over.
Are you sure that was the real final? Because if it was it should release items regularly, or were you at
Spoiler:
that embryo boss? Because there you have to shoot the glowing orbs so that they all have the same color to proceed

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
I started with Creator and 1cced all the way to the final attack.  Apparently I wasn't doing something right, because I faced it for like 2-4 minutes and wouldn't evolve, then I turned into an idiot and got a game over.  What do you need to do to change generations, is it just based on score?

But yeah, if this game needs to give you about 18 less extends.  I most certainly didn't deserve to get that far with how I was playing.
For the entire game in order to progress you have to collect items to fill the bar on the bottom of the screen.

And damn if that wasn't a pleasant surprise. On the easy side for sure (lol what you can DEFLECT BULLETS in your second last form also 20 extends whee) but that's probably because he want's people to actually be able to complete the game and experience all it's gloriousness :V

Edit: Oh yeah and stop shooting to auto collect all items on the screen
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:20:15 PM by Kinoko Nasuma »

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
You get bonuses for the amount of lives in stock so keep gaining extends =P

Hell, you are even encouraged to bomb in order to combo enemies before the last form, in which you can combo with your lock-on guided laser missiles ala Ray series.

Extremely awesome game to be freeware. And the final stage is one hell of a homage.

Notice how the enemies on later stages produce drumming noises like in Rez, heh. They add punchi-punchi beats to the music.

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
Notice how the enemies on later stages produce drumming noises like in Rez, heh. They add punchi-punchi beats to the music.

Hell, the entire last stage felt like one big Rez homage to me, possibly barring that embryo boss.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. =P

Also, lol at the high score entry including "orz".

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
Interesting game :V
Got to the final boss on Creator on my first attempt....the last stage tackled me way too many times as the enemies spawn freaking everywhere.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Blade Shot. EVERYTHING DIES, NO EXCEPTION. :V

Giant fucking swords on the side of my ship? HELL YEAH.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »
Its finished? Sweeeeet. Just starting it up now.

EDIT: Awesome

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:07:21 PM by Doomsday93 »

Matsuri

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
Hmm, looks cool. I'll have to give this a try!

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:57 PM »
I can only get to stage 4 on Creator. The stuff this game throws at you is much worse than Touhou.

And is there any way to control which way your ship evolves? I keep getting total crap.

Edit: Just played through on Programmer and cleared with 6(7 after getting an extend) lives in stock. I'll definitely practice to try to clear it on Creator.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:25:43 AM by Enigma »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
Plenty ways, Just check the 'HISTORY' option, It shows hints to show what evolves into what when. :V

Speaking of which, the 97.5% shot down bomb is a pain to get...

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:34:10 AM »
Old: Ah, I remember playing an old version of this. It was fun, but looking at the screens, it seems that a load of stuff has changed. DL'ing right now. I suppose I'll edit my thoughts some time later.

EDIT: Wow. That last level... Trippy.
Anyway, I only completed it on Beginner so far, but I'd say Genetos has gotten quite confusing.
I still need to figure stuff out, like these supposed sub-weapons, IR Codes, the plot, etc.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:16:05 AM by KrackoCloud »

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
Was just 1 or 2 items from 1ccing Hacker difficulty when I died. Crap.

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 02:50:35 AM »
What's a "Green DNA"?  Is it the big item (same size as a life or bomb) with the green spirals?  In that case, I've seen one at the very beginning of stage 1, but never any others.  How do they spawn?

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 03:26:38 AM »
Yes, that's it. I think you have to defeat certain enemies.

So I 1cc'd Hacker just now, but I don't feel like I accomplished anything. Apparantly there's this ability called Counter that you get for getting a green DNA in stage 3 that I didn't get one the one where I died with a few items till the 1cc. Well it is completely broken as it allowed me to easily No Miss the final stage with no skill whatsoever.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »
Service temporarily unavailable. :(

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »
Well, only have the last bomb and last sub to get.  I got a 70 combo on stage 4, but it didn't give me the bomb when I evolved.  I'd like to understand what takes precedence, and when abilities will overwrite other ones.

10 DNA?  That one just confuses me.

Anyway, I decided to mess around with scoring for kicks.  My best on Standard is 13,011,262.  I'm guessing 20 million is well within the possibilies.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »
Small tip, because this game's music is awesome:
All the music files can be changed to normal filetypes by deleting the .ore ending (works for the .mp3 at least)
That Final Stage Music is going on my MP3-Player now  ;D

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!

This guy should team up with ZUN and make the ULTIMATE TOUHOU SHMUP!!!

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
Oh, didn't notice that there's a dedicated topic for this. Makes my post in the shmup topic redundant, unless there are other blind people who didn't notice.

Yeah, awesome game, etc.

Also, the Summon Special is hilarious. I got a 300+ combo at one point.

Hawk: 10 DNA being items; bomb items, extend items, or those ? items.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:22:40 PM by MakaiSouvenirBooth »

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
? items. I have no idea how. There's five stages, and I've only found 2 of them. Don't even know the enemy or what requirement I did for the stage 3 one that got me Counter.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
This is a pretty awesome game. I love the story and atmosphere, it's brilliantly done.
lol at the amount of resources though. I almost 1cc'd creator on my first attempt and I had no idea what I was doing.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
This game looks awesome and i'll definitly try this when I have the time.

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 12:08:40 AM »
I haven't had much time to play it. Wonder how much of a pain it'll be to get some of these unlocks. I want to try the other shots, bombs, and subweapons out.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 04:32:28 AM »
Spoiling Listening to BGM as I type, specifically Origin |D... Unrenamed, it plays on my WinAMP :3

I'm pretty much intrigued about the evolution and how it will "visualize" this evolution >////<.

Music is nicely composed, I say. A little, uhh, MIDI-like deafening on some parts, but eh can't complain -- the melody is just grand.

I gotta thank MakaiSouvenirBooth for making that post in shmup, and of course for this thread as well >////<.

I'll play this once I rent a WinXP machine. For now,
Spoiler:
DariusBurst!
[/size]
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 05:07:47 AM »
? items. I have no idea how. There's five stages, and I've only found 2 of them. Don't even know the enemy or what requirement I did for the stage 3 one that got me Counter.

I believe the enemies that carry items are set, so once you figure out which enemies drop items it is easier. 

However, I believe you can only change each part of your ship (weapon, bomb, ability) once per game, although I'm not 100% sure.