Author Topic: [Tutorial] How to install & use Applocale for XP, Vista & 7 [deprecated]  (Read 148917 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Warning, this tutorial is deprecated. AppLocale is no longer downloadable on the Microsoft site. Please refer to Locale Emulation thread.

[ Introduction ]
It seems due to increasing newcomers in the world of Danmakufu, we seem to have the same questions being asked over and over: "Help I cannot run Dnh". So it is time for a tutorial again to kind of prevent this from happening "too much". The AppLocale link is inside the FAQ thread, but I'll be nice to add it here one more time: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=16712f0b-a935-4140-9163-1514c89f6ddd&displaylang=en

Additionally, there is also a video tutorial right here. Watch the first half of it for AppLocale configuring.

[ Step 1 - Install AppLocale (concentrate your mind) ]
XP users can simply run the msi installer.  Windows 7 users can run the regular install method as well ( confirmed by: 'AweStriker Nova' ). Vista users will quickly bump into an error saying: "An error occurred, please contact bla bla bla". Go to THIS link and read how to work around the problem. It is extremely easy, just follow the steps.

Generally the problem is the 'UAC' control in Vista. Turning this off and running the msi as administrator fixes the problem.

[ Step 2 -WinXP only. Checking language packs ( mutter the spell tenderly ) ]
Windows XP users might need to install additional language packs to follow this guide properly. Go to Start > Configuration screen > Region and Language. Also make sure you have your XP CD ready, because the system will ask for it when installing.
[attach=1]

[ Step 3 - Applocale magic (aim at someone you don't like) ]
Run apploc.exe and select "Launch an application" and press the browse button.
[attach=2]

- Browse for the th_dnh.exe where you unpacked danmakufu.
- Hit "open" and press next. In the next screen drop down the menu and select the most bottom (Japanese) 日本語 If you're an XP user, and don't see the Japanese language you probably made a mistake in step 2.
- Hit "next" again and choose to create a shortcut for your configuration. Makes it easier to access it for the next time. The shortcut is made in the start menu, programs, applocale location.
[attach=3]

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:21:45 PM by Helepolis »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: [Tutorial] How to install & use Applocale for XP and Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
Nice work.

When I get around to making the new merged FAQ+misc sticky, I'll include this in it.

AweStriker Nova

• Star Sign "Thunder Constellation"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
In Windows 7, it works exactly the same way.

No kidding; it doesn't even give the Vista error.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »
In Windows 7, it works exactly the same way.

No kidding; it doesn't even give the Vista error.

So regular running the msi works?

AweStriker Nova

• Star Sign "Thunder Constellation"
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »
Yes. (Assuming that's the installer).

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: [Tutorial] How to install & use Applocale for XP, Vista and 7
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »
Good then I can add Win7 in the title :V that is why I asked.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »
That's how it worked on both my Vista computers, just install the .msi. No problems whatsoever.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »
Seems generally the UAC is being the bitch, atleast that is what the link I put in step 1 also tells you. I'll still leave it there as a general step. If people can work through the installer without trouble, then it is fine. Else they have to follow those steps.

Because on IRC some people started suggesting: "reinstall windows installer"  kind of made me get worried. To avoid people nuking their people for no reason.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:07:12 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »
People who leave UAC active deserve any problems they might have with their computer :V

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
UAC tightly secures computer though. People just find it annoying because you have to permit everything all the time. I am not a Vista knower, people like Fate-chan are more expert on those areas.

denden1

Re: [Tutorial] How to install & use Applocale for XP, Vista & 7
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:39 AM »
I know this topic is dead and all, but  I seem to be having an odd problem.
I followed all of the steps and all, but whenever I open up the created short cut, I get a message saying
 "AppLocale is a temporary solution for non-Unicode applications.
If you are commonly using non-Unicode applications in a given language, it is strongly recommended to properly set your system's "Language For Non-Unicode Programs" variable."
But when I click ok on that message it opens th_dnh.exe and instantly gives the "th_dnh,exe has stopped working" message.

Kyaksa

• Fred-Erika Bernkastel Mirrors Rika's True Nature: Spoiled child
  • When They Cry: You are probably dead now
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:28:54 AM »
Denden1 as a Vista user, you don't need Applocale it won't really work that well...

All you have to do is right press the Th_Dnh and press 'run as adminster' and have your computer as Japanese (if you get what I mean).

>.< I've downloaded Applocale in the beginning only to find it's worthless to have, that why their no Vista version of it, since we already have it installed into our computer.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only need applocale if you're running Japanese scripts or viewing characters in the language, right? Everyone could easily just delete the Rumia stuff that comes with danmakufu and it'd work without crashing.

ArteShy

• Sure you're straight dash....
  • ...I totally believe you
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
Everytime i run danamkufu with applocale, it crashes without showing the main menu. When i run it without applocale it goes to main menu but when i choose some of the options it crashes. Please help. (I have Vista)

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
this thread should be stickied. also: someone should work on modifying Danmakufu to work without applocale.

Formless God

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:30 AM »
But Applocale is merely a last resort.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
a required last resort...

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:56 AM »
You only need Applocale if you're running scripts that have Japanese characters - which the included player and boss scripts do, so it crashes for everyone unless they either remove those or get Applocale.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »
or somehow get english for descriptions at the bottom

Drake

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »
No. If there is japanese and you aren't running Applocale, and you aren't using a japanese locale to begin with, it's going to crash. You know why? Because it's japanese and your computer can't handle that shit unless you tell it how. If you aren't going to go through the thoroughly simple steps required to to run a japanese program with japanese unicode characters that may or may not be present on a not-japanese computer, you shouldn't be tampering around with the damn thing in the first place.

And regardless, the reason this thread doesn't need to be stickied is because it's on a list of all the threads you should be aware of in this section, in a GIANT sticky at the top of the page that clearly says TO READ IT. We don't need fifty-thousand stickies for every tutorial thread in this section because it would fill the top half of the page with inactive threads.

ANGER
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:50:34 AM by Helepolis »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
I encountered an error, win7

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
Forgive me for necro-posting here (and on my first post in this com too... damn!)
I followed each step, yet when I try to open th_dnh.exe with AppLocale it freezes on startup without even reaching the menu screen and gives me a "th_dnh.exe has stopped working" error.
I'm running Windows 7, can anyone help me out?