Author Topic: Spellcard Help Topic  (Read 158840 times)

Spellcard Help Topic
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:19:22 AM »
Hey, I decided I was going to make a thread for having trouble on spellcards.

Currently, I need strategies on Sun Sign "Royal Flare" and Taboo "Laevatin" (Have no idea how that's supposed to be spelled, I'll fix it later)

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
Re: Spellcard Help Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:27:39 AM »
I approve of this thread.

That Lavaiethinaew whatever is really simple. For the first laser, just circle around her from the top, so you don't have to go through any of the bs bullets. Then, when she sweeps from side to side, just follow through. The bullets are mostly horizontal so they're easy to get across. Then she'll do the same thing she did on the first laser but in the other direction. Once again, go above her, completely avoiding unnecessary bs. Repeat. She should be done in less than 2 cycles iirc. If this description is unclear, just watch a replay on youtube. I don't think there is anyone who doesn't use this method.

Unfortunately, I still haven't captured Royal Flare yet. It's truly a stupid card, and I don't care for it much. I'm not your guy for this one haha.

I personally require assistance for Genetics of the Subconscious from SA extra.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:30:48 AM »
Royal Flare is a pattern that is the same every time, therefore it can be mirco memorized, it's just a really complex one.

Laevantine also has a dead zone (if you don't care about using a little cheese) on the corner of the spell card when Flan does the straight line waves.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:33:32 AM »
Royal Flare:  there is a spot you can slip between the waves towards the bottom center of the screen.  With MarisaA, the card is over by the time the next waves come to say hello.  Other characters may have to dodge another wave or two, but not too much (barring ReimuA).

Laevatein: When Flan brings around that circular thing, immediately move over her (if she's swinging it down, around and left, move up and right, OVER Flan) to get around it.  Smae pattern applies even when she fires twice.  When she moves across the screen, just move with her the first time, then move back across the other way, being careful not to hit any of the previous line.  Sounds a little complicated, but Laevatein is probably the second-easiest Extra card in the series (losing out only to Wizard Fox Thoughts).

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:16:17 AM »
By any chance, could we talk about noncards too?  If so, some help with Marisa's second attack(ESPECIALLY this one), Aya's second attack, and Orin's last boss attack on Lunatic would be much appreciated...

Oh, and also, Terrifying Hypnotism.  I know there's supposed to be some kind of trick to this, but I haven't found something that consistently works.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:53:03 AM by Azinth »

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »
Oh, and also, Terrifying Hypnotism.  I know there's supposed to be some kind of trick to this, but I haven't found something that consistently works.

Stay put underneath Satori. Wait for the lasers to stop moving. Tap left. Wait for the bullets. Tap right-left-right through them. Stay put underneath Satori. Wait for the lasers to stop moving. Tap right. Wait for the bullets. Tap left-right-left through them. Etc.

The weaving through the bullets might take a bit of practice at first, but once you have it down, it's one of the easiest cards ever.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »
Hi. I'm desperate. Just what are you supposed to do during Aya's 2nd spell on Hard mode? It feels as if its making a wall. Anyone got some advice?

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
Stay put underneath Satori. Wait for the lasers to stop moving. Tap left. Wait for the bullets. Tap right-left-right through them. Stay put underneath Satori. Wait for the lasers to stop moving. Tap right. Wait for the bullets. Tap left-right-left through them. Etc.

The weaving through the bullets might take a bit of practice at first, but once you have it down, it's one of the easiest cards ever.

All you need is a little of cold blood as to not move around too much so that the lasers give you space to dodge the bullets.
rofl bye

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Hi. I'm desperate. Just what are you supposed to do during Aya's 2nd spell on Hard mode? It feels as if its making a wall. Anyone got some advice?

Ah, this is one of my most favorite spell cards.

All it is really, is pure dodging. There's no trick, although there is a way you can look at the spell card to make it easier. When you see the streams of bullets come down, don't look at them as coming down at you, imagine them moving from side to side. This way, you can focus more on getting through the spread of bullets at the end of each wave.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45:49 PM »
Ah, this is one of my most favorite spell cards.

All it is really, is pure dodging. There's no trick, although there is a way you can look at the spell card to make it easier. When you see the streams of bullets come down, don't look at them as coming down at you, imagine them moving from side to side. This way, you can focus more on getting through the spread of bullets at the end of each wave.

I'll try keeping that in mind next time. I'm a little too tired for it now though. I figured it would be pure dodging but some pro advice always seem to help a bit.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:31 AM »
Ok, I still need help with Genetics of the Subconscious.

In addition, that first spell card Sanae has at the main boss fight of MoF stage 5 lunatic. The laser and pink balls one.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:19:10 AM »

I'm going to try this later. If it works it will be awesome.

EDIT: It works...but I still failed 2/3 times I tried it. I just suck at it, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:48:26 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
I'm going to try this later. If it works it will be awesome.

EDIT: It works...but I still failed 2/3 times I tried it. I just suck at it, plain and simple.

I wrote that down from memory, but realized it was a bit off when replaying it again. With Reimu, when going through the first wave of bullets tap right-left-right-left-right-right-left (first bullet always goes past you so start from the second, and the last 'left' is to reposition yourself slightly after the wave has passed, to stay under Satori). Then keep still, and repeat in the other direction when the bullets arrive again. It's basically a matter of tapping left-right in a completely constant rhythm.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »
Hi again. Suddenly started playing Lunatic. Figured it would be about time after a year of Touhuotaku'ness. That means that i'm facing a lot of new spells some of which requires different tactics than their Hard mode counterparts. Sometimes there is more to it than just more bullets on screen.

So, here goes:

- Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars"

Sanae's first spellcard. I have captured this one time but i have no clue how i did it. I know you are supposed to memorize how the lasers move but i really have no clue about that and the bullets rapid fire sure don't make things easier to work out. I'm only posting about this one in case anyone have some advice. Advice can sometimes be a great help.

- Water Sign "Hydro Camouflage"

Nitori's mid-boss spellcard. Seriously. What the hell is going on here? It seems impossible. What the heck are you supposed to do here? Damn... hardest stage 3 mid-boss spell ever.

- Miasma "Unexplained Fever"

Yamame's final spellcard. This spell have given me a fever due to a crapload of unexplained deaths. I don't know what response i'm expecting for this one. I would be pleased though if someone could say a whole lot about this card without really explaining anything. I know by myself and politicians that some people love to do that.

PS: What the hell happened to the newbs? Only good players have posted in this thread. Are newbies afraid to ask for help? Hmm...

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:29 AM »
- Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars"
 - Water Sign "Hydro Camouflage"
 - Miasma "Unexplained Fever"

Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars"

I asked for help earlier in the thread for the first card. Of all of the MoF cards that's one of the few that are still giving me trouble. Someone seriously should post something soon.

Water Sign "Hydro Camouflage"

Yeah this spell is seriously a bitch. This one took me like 20 tries to capture.
When you start, go about an inch or so from the bottom of screen for the first wave. Since Nitori's position is fixed on the first wave, you want to start there since this is where there will be the largest gap between the diagonal streams of bullets. Take one or two tries to find it. After that, just follow Nitori, watching her vertical movement, placing yourself at where the gap is widest. Or you could do it the manly way and just read it. The rest is simple, just dodge the bubbles from within your restricted horizontal movement.

Miasma "Unexplained Fever"

I always dodge this right under Yamame right in the middle, so it shouldn't be too hard to dodge the manly way. Would be annoying and stupid to memorize safe spots anyways. First half of the first set shouldn't be hard at all, with the slow movement and all. Just dodge and get a feel for the pattern. When the fast bullets come, place yourself somewhere open, and dodge the purple bullets while keeping track of the red ones in the corner of your eye. You only really need to focus on the space a little bit above you. At this level, if something was coming your way, I should assume you'd have the reflexes to dodge it. There's not too much one can say about this one really. It's just pure dodging. Boss should die before you get to the second half of the cycle though (that one is a bit trickier).

Still need help with Genetics of the Subconscious.

Drake

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:58 AM »
Bottom-Left
Top Left
Bottom-Right
Top-Right
Near
Top-Right

Top Left
Bottom-Right
Near
Bottom-Left
Top-Left
Bottom-Right
Top-Right
Near
Bottom-Left
Top-Right

Koishi starts off moving in the first pattern, then repeats the second one twice, which upon finishing the timer runs out. Plan accordingly.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 03:42:36 AM »
Cool thanks.

Now I just need Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars" and so does Zengeku

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »
Cool thanks.

Now I just need Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars" and so does Zengeku

Yep. Could someone who think they are the chosen ones time it out? I'm such a devil...

Yukkuri

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Eh Charming siege from all sides.

Drake

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
Charming Siege is hella fun. Once you figure it out, it's easy. There's no trick to it, but it's all believing in the empty hitboxes of the bubbles. The area you get hit with is a bit more than the middle circle, around halfway through the red.

And don't get hit by the sides you dolt

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »
Oh boy, get ready for a LOT of spellcards from StB.

Scene 3-6: Mito no <something> I don't get it it at all, is it just anticipating the lasers or is there a trick to it?

Scene 5-1/5-5: Is there a special way to misdirect the kicks?

Scene 5-2: IS THE POINT OF THE CARD TO OBSCURE YOUR VISION? I MEAN SERIOUSLY. Also, sometimes it just randomly decides to wall me and there is nothing I can do about it. Oh lol nevermind captured it finally via luck

Scene 5-4: I don't think there is a trick but if there is let me know.
Sheer luck again :)
I will edit this post later with more spellcards.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:40:14 PM by Kanguya Yaraisan »

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 05:30:31 AM »
Scene 3-6: Mito no <something> I don't get it it at all, is it just anticipating the lasers or is there a trick to it?

Scene 5-1/5-5: Is there a special way to misdirect the kicks?

Haha StB. I whored this stuff so much.

Alright, 3-6 is annoying, but you can make your life slightly easier by staying directly underneath one of the laser spawn points, as dodging something coming straight at you vertically isn't as hard as something diagonal. And besides that, there's not really any trick. Charge up as fast as possible and long range your shots if needed. It shouldn't be that bad with some whoring, but alas there isn't that much of a trick.

5-1 and 5-5 are both relatively easy once you get the pattern. For 5-1, get the first shot at the bottom of the screen, probably best at the bottom left. Then, just slowly make your way around the screen counter clockwise. Try to get as many bullet misdirected off the stage as possible, especially toward the top of the screen. Otherwise, prepare for a massive shower of danmaku. Once you reach a full lap you should have enough charge for another shot. Watch out for remaining debris and continue. 5-5 is the same, except that there isn't a regular direction the shots lead, so just be very careful when going around the stage. If you can, get around the bullets before the general bulk of them even reach you.

Still need help with Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars".

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 05:32:26 AM »
Still need help with Wonder "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars".
The laser pattern is fairly easy and the card itsself is static (well, can be made to effectively be static as the round animated bullets are aimed). Just micromemorize the damn thing already.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »
The laser pattern is fairly easy and the card itsself is static (well, can be made to effectively be static as the round animated bullets are aimed). Just micromemorize the damn thing already.
I really suck at micro memorization. Completely. I can never do it. That's why I always dodge everything the manly way. >.>

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:26 AM »
Anybody know what the trick is to "scarlet netherworld" in esod? It's very dazzling and intimidating (for me at least), but I can swear there's a simple trick to doing it. I thought I got it but I got rolled when I tried it again with confidence.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
Anybody know what the trick is to "scarlet netherworld" in esod? It's very dazzling and intimidating (for me at least), but I can swear there's a simple trick to doing it. I thought I got it but I got rolled when I tried it again with confidence.
Not very simple.

You can either:
-predict where all the bullets will move to, and stand in between where these bullets cross. That's how I do it. Not recommended as you also need to account for randomization of Boss movement.
-dodge all the incoming bullets that cross-over, and try not to collide into the one's that travel in rows. You will probably have to look at where the boss shoots the straight, needle-like bullets, and position yourself accordingly.
-*some other strategy here that I never thought of*

Hard to explain without a replay. And currently, I can't upload a practice run either. Plus, since I can't "fix" my version of EoSD (like my MoF), I can't play at full speed (~54 FPS), unless its in fullscreen, which means that the majority of runs that I do would be bad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:12:51 PM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
dang. thanks for the info though. I tried flying in between the small gap in the row shots, and I was safe there like 3 times in a row for the whole spellcard. But then after when I tried it again I got rolled. Stupid random factor cuz the boss moves issue I guess.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
Yep that's all there is to Scarlet Netherworld, figure out where the columns are headed, and just dodge the criss cross bullets from there.

Anybody have any tips for Scarlet Gensokyo?

Drake

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
Stay under Remilia at all times. Other than that, don't die. There's no strategy at all.
Also believe in the hitboxes of bubble bullets.

EDIT: I guess you could watch this, too.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »
So I couldn't help but notice that the Japanese bomb Bad Luck Sign "Biorhythm of the Apotropaic God" (Stage 2 mid-boss, MoF) on Lunatic, and occasionally on Hard during score-runs.

Before I theorize the living hell out of this Spell Card, can anybody give me some pointers on how to do the Spell Card, or how the Spell Card works?
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者