Author Topic: Touhou tutorial for Beginners.(With videos)(on progress)  (Read 37035 times)

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
Touhou tutorial for Beginners.(With videos)(on progress)
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »
What is this?
This is a  Guide  For Touhou games with videos that explains a lot of tricks and tips and it is  mainly aimed to new players who can't clear the game in one credit.

And what are these Touhou games?
The Touhou Project is a series of 2D  vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games made by Team Shanghai Alice. They are similar to regular shooting games, but focus more on weaving through complex patterns containing anywhere from dozens to hundreds of bullets.
(quoted from the touhou wiki)

BASIC KNOWLEDGE
--------------------------

The main controls:

The Z button: Pressing the Z keybuttonyour character shoots, use it to make selections inside the menus( you can aslo use enter)

The X button: Pressing the X keybutton your character uses a bomb (assuming u have one in stock or in later games have enough power)

The Left Shift
: Pressing shift during the game is called "focusing" and   has the following effects:
                      -your character moves slowly, this way u can move more precisely and deal with heavy dodging.
                      -The hitbox of your character becomes visible (this doesn't happen on Touhou 6 : EoSd and earlier games), this helps to avoid bullets easier and move more comfortable.
                      -Your character shot changes.Usually to one that deals more damage although that is not always true  ,  it also depends on the character and which game of the series you play.
                      -In most games the bomb of your character differs if you are focused or not.

The ESC Button: Pressing the ESC button during gameplay pauses the game and brings up a menu.

The Left CNTRL button
: This key is used to skip dialogue.Press it during any dialogue you have read at least once.Also in later games you can fast forward replays.   

NOTE: I strongly suggest to give some read about  hitboxes

Some commonly used meanings for runs that might help:

1CC:  1 Credit Clear > clearing the game without using a continue.(usually assuming at default lifes which is 3)

1LC: 1 Life clear > clearing the game without losing a single life.

focusing / stay focus / focus : pressing the shift button.

----------------------------------------

VIDEO TUTORIALS :

Touhou 6 : the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil  (EOSD)

Touhou 7 :  Perfect Cherry Blossom   (PCB)
1CC guide using SakuyaA
stage1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLL9wim7Z4
stage2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760YzxMJ2yo
stage3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKb_YHroobk
stage4 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHN2hpVyW8
stage5 :
stage6 :

Replay for the run above: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=5830

extra stage ( by Yosline) : Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-SZ-3m1Sw&hd=1
                                    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGloRk-z3jc&hd=1

Touhou 8 :  Imperishable Night  (IN)
1CC guide with Netherworld Dwellers' Team (Youmu & Yuyuko)  by Yosline
( i hope u dont have a problem with this)

Part 1:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0mFyMVDc7M
Part 2:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2jL-zZi--c
Part 2.5:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7km_2CaZU
Part 3:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsAun9pej8

Touhou 10 : Mountain of Faith  (MOF)

Touhou 11 : Subterranean Animism  (SA)

Touhou 12 : Undefined Fantastic Object  (UFO)

PS: I plan to finish this thread for at least the windows games unless sth hapens .I am not exactly sure how people will see this, but i hope they apriciate it.People who want to help are welcomed even with making the replays.For the recording i rec at 30fps and then make the speed x2 since my PC cant handle rec at 60 fps also for some strange reason i never had sound with fraps (on any game).
Also note that this is the 2nd time to video edit ( i had some exp with some GG videos)

thoughts? advice?
thx in advance.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:04:54 PM by ghost333 »

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
Re: Touhou tutorial for Beginners.(With videos)(on progress)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
Let me start by using the PCB extra guide :P Just finished part 1 and it was extremely helpful (maybe a little TOO helpful) so I'll go and try it out now.

edit: lol i made it to the 3rd to last spell card on my 2nd try >.< game overed at chen on my first, this is easier than I thought  :V or it's the amazing video guide
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:01:32 PM by Kawaii Yokai »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
I mostly don't have a problem with yosline's guide for IN, but the not-very-beginner-friendly team selection, which promotes behaviours against building up Time, is a problem @_@

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
I mostly don't have a problem with yosline's guide for IN, but the not-very-beginner-friendly team selection, which promotes behaviours against building up Time, is a problem @_@
I'm not sure if beginners should be encouraged to max out time as much as possible. Sure, it gives them more continues, but its not always easy to max it out (for example, on Normal mode Wriggle doesn't fire enough bullets for you to graze for enough time points to get her Last Spell through your Yokai teammate... you have to fight her unfocused or you won't get enough points, Mystia isn't any better (especially since she's even MORE difficult to fight unfocused), and if you use bombs/die often on Reimu/Marisa/Reisen, something most beginners will do rather frequently, you can completely forget about getting the 9999 time points their stages require).

Also, Neitherworld team isn't that bad for beginners. Youmu might be problematic, but most will either ignore her completely and use Yuyuko all the time (honestly, she makes stages a total joke, even moreso than Border team), or just ignore Myon and just use Youmu normally when they want to focus all their firepower forward/move faster.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:19:23 PM by AlexX »

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

neight

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
Watched the Imperishable Night walkthrough, very well done.  I know a few friends who are starting out on Touhou that will appreciate the walkthrough. 

But won't beginners to IN need a stage 6A walkthrough too?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
But won't beginners to IN need a stage 6A walkthrough too?
Yeah, on Easy mode Eirin is a tad more difficult than Kaguya (probably to compensate for the fact you can't continue against her, since if you're playing on Easy mode that's probably going to be a pretty major handicap) and on Normal I find them to be about the same (Kaguya possibly slightly harder since she tends to wall me a lot more often >.>), so they'd probably need some help learning the tricks to Eirin's tougher cards.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
I'm not sure if beginners should be encouraged to max out time as much as possible. Sure, it gives them more continues, but its not always easy to max it out (for example, on Normal mode Wriggle doesn't fire enough bullets for you to graze for enough time points to get her Last Spell through your Yokai teammate... you have to fight her unfocused or you won't get enough points, Mystia isn't any better (especially since she's even MORE difficult to fight unfocused), and if you use bombs/die often on Reimu/Marisa/Reisen, something most beginners will do rather frequently, you can completely forget about getting the 9999 time points their stages require).

Also, Neitherworld team isn't that bad for beginners. Youmu might be problematic, but most will either ignore her completely and use Yuyuko all the time (honestly, she makes stages a total joke, even moreso than Border team), or just ignore Myon and just use Youmu normally when they want to focus all their firepower forward/move faster.

Well, I find time maxing is more about using your unfocused character during the stages (Killing/damaging targets unfocused during stage = more Time ; grazing bullets in phantom vs boss = more Time)... and for that, Youmu is bad - and even if Yuyuko has a wide spread, I found it troublesome for taking down bosses quickly compared to Border or Scarlet team - and that's gonna mean needing to use more bombs / survive for longer, which can be bad if you're barely handling it.

I dunno.  I have the worst time with the Netherworld team in IN by a longshot, even beyond Magic Team, just because I find the characters are linked to what I consider the opposite shot usage for when you'd want to use em.

I know they CAN be really good, but to make the most of them you need to get used to Youmu, and that's one of the oddest characters to get used to.  It's like starting with SA and trying to learn to Marisa/Patchy first; you'd be learning the character along with the game from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:35:59 PM by Garlyle »

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »
Well, I find time maxing is more about using your unfocused character during the stages (Killing/damaging targets unfocused during stage = more Time ; grazing bullets in phantom vs boss = more Time)... and for that, Youmu is bad - and even if Yuyuko has a wide spread, I found it troublesome for taking down bosses quickly compared to Border or Scarlet team - and that's gonna mean needing to use more bombs / survive for longer, which can be bad if you're barely handling it.
Youmu- She actually makes stages pretty easy if you know how to make use of Myon.
Yuyuko- Try learning ways to shotgun bosses with her. I find it rather fun~

Time? Honestly, I've used all the teams and I find getting enough time in the first few stages to be rather difficult (or at least on Normal mode) due to few enemies while human and bosses don't last long enough to graze-abuse for points while youkai. If it were up to me, I'd tell a beginner to forget about maximizing time until they get better at the game.

I dunno.  I have the worst time with the Netherworld team in IN by a longshot, even beyond Magic Team, just because I find the characters are linked to what I consider the opposite shot usage for when you'd want to use em.

I know they CAN be really good, but to make the most of them you need to get used to Youmu, and that's one of the oddest characters to get used to.  It's like starting with SA and trying to learn to Marisa/Patchy first; you'd be learning the character along with the game from scratch.
I personally don't find an issue, but then again, I've been using them the most of all the teams, so I've developed strategies to maximize on their capabilities.

Though honestly, while they take a while to master even when I was a newbie I got along just fine by sitting back and having Yuyuko take out the stages with absolute ease. Sure, I left Youmu to rot, but it was because of that that stages were never an issue for me, it was always the bosses (Kiene being the bane of my existance first, Marisa being what forced me to game overs in the end... Honestly, having the girls swap places would have done nothing for me because during those days I was completely incapable of staying directly under the boss long enough to take advantage of Youmu's focus, giving more reason to why Yuyuko's spread felt like a godsend).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:51:08 PM by AlexX »