Author Topic: How would this board feel about a UNL tournament?  (Read 47516 times)

Re: How would this board feel about a UNL tournament?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 03:18:16 AM »
Quick update:

My laptop's still back ordered, so it's still going to be at least a week before this starts.

But, I also have two questions before this starts.

1. How does everyone feel about the standard tourney rule of "no changing characters"?  I'm sure this will probably be disliked overall, but on the flipside it prevents counterpicking, something that would destroy users of characters like Alice.

2 I'll ask when I have access to something other than a handheld device for internet.

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »
Well, in the last UNL tourney I was in, everyone decided on three main characters they'd use and was permitted to revolve through those. It's not perfect, but it does give a bit of wiggle room while preventing absolute counterpicking.

Either way is fine with me.

Also, how about putting the tourney on YouTube? Have people save their replays and send them to one or more people to record and upload? I might be able to record some of them...

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 06:37:41 AM »
Also, how about putting the tourney on YouTube?
I was planning on doing that, don't you worry. :V

I thought about the whole "select a pool of characters" thing as well, but I think with UNL's four-deck system you should be able to get enough freedom to be able to change things up without needing to actually change characters.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
I was planning on doing that, don't you worry. :V

I thought about the whole "select a pool of characters" thing as well, but I think with UNL's four-deck system you should be able to get enough freedom to be able to change things up without needing to actually change characters.

UNL has a double-blind, doesn't it?

Last one I played, each player picked three characters, elimination-style.  You HAD to play in the order you picked em, and only switched if you lost a match; lose all three, and you lost the game.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
Hmmm... that sounds really familiar somehow. Are you talking about the tournament on raocow's forum?

The pick-three format seems like fun. True, it is possible to have 4 decks, but I don't think they will make enough of a difference, at least compared to a whole other character. However, only the deck is a blind pick, not the character.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
Hmmm... that sounds really familiar somehow. Are you talking about the tournament on raocow's forum?

The pick-three format seems like fun. True, it is possible to have 4 decks, but I don't think they will make enough of a difference, at least compared to a whole other character. However, only the deck is a blind pick, not the character.

1. Yes, it was the Talkhaus tourney.
2. I do like it too (Either-or)
3. Ah

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Hehe, that's cool. His LP of Marisa & Alice is what made me translate it. Of course, we never actually did get to see it in his videos... oh well.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:03 PM »
His LP of Marisa & Alice.

Greatest ragequit ever 8D

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
question: are there characters that are good in UNL without alternate cards?
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
question: are there characters that are good in UNL without alternate cards?
All of them.  All alt cards do is allow you to alter your character's moveset to better fit your style.  Looking through the cards for each character, I'd say Reisen and maybe Tenshi need them the most, and even then it's not because their default moveset is trash.

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
thank you :D
I think I'll try and see how far I can get with the default cards. The problem, though, is that most people would feel sorry for facing me, heheh.. ..due to the latency, since I'm from South America.. D:
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
thank you :D
I think I'll try and see how far I can get with the default cards. The problem, though, is that most people would feel sorry for facing me, heheh.. ..due to the latency, since I'm from South America.. D:
Have you tried netplay yet?  I live in Minnesota and usually play Europeans, and at most I might have a bit of button lag.

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
I think (from previous matches in IaMP/SWR/UNL) that the latency is 6 frames at minimum.. (in GGPO, I think that the ping shows 200ms~250ms to USA players, at least)

there were input delays at the previous IaMP tournament, in my matches, as well..
Translations.

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
Do you just not have the cards unlocked? Use Mizuumi's score.DAT with everything unlocked (except Suwako's theme in the music room, for some reason...).

tliu0c

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 08:45:01 AM »
Is there a hamachi channel that i could join?

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
Is there a hamachi channel that i could join?
If we're going to need one, then I'll get one set up later for those that require it.

This is all assuming my laptop ever comes, of course. :c

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »
If there was a tournament, I'd be willing to join if a majority of the players were located in the U.S. Plus I can host without hamachi, so yeah

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
Finally got word back about my laptop, I should have it next week.  So I no longer want "I might be in this maybe if i remember", but definite yes or no answers.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
Finally got word back about my laptop, I should have it next week.  So I no longer want "I might be in this maybe if i remember", but definite yes or no answers.
Yes

As long as its after Thanksgiving, or I'll be out of town/being force-fed turkey.

Plus I can host without hamachi, so yeah
I'm this also, yeaaaah. Good because my friends lag out mid-match when they try hamachi with eachother.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:34 PM »
Oh, um... I think the last thing I said in here was about that netplay wasn't working for me... It's working now. So, uh... I'd like to join. Even though I know I'll fail miserably <.<;

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »
As long as its after Thanksgiving
Somehow, I managed to completely forget about that.

Yeah, this might delayed AGAIN then.  But I'd still at least like to get this organized ahead of time.

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
Well I'm certainly joining.

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »
I'm joining.

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »
I'm certainly in.

So do we need to state our location/characters? I'm wc myself, meaning that I'll probably lag to death against anybody not from the U.S. or Canada

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:13 AM »
I'm certainly in.

So do we need to state our location/characters? I'm wc myself, meaning that I'll probably lag to death against anybody not from the U.S. or Canada
Characters, yes.  Location, no.  I'd also like to know if you need Hamachi or not.

And I'm still not positive as to how characters will be handled, so list up to three that you might use for now.  If I decide to stick with one character, then that can be changed as needed.

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
Characters, yes.  Location, no.  I'd also like to know if you need Hamachi or not.

And I'm still not positive as to how characters will be handled, so list up to three that you might use for now.  If I decide to stick with one character, then that can be changed as needed.
I can host, so I don't need hamachi.

removing my characters until the my first match, ill decide then lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:32:06 AM by huh what »

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:22 AM »
Uhh...Sanae. I can use hamachi, but I'm not sure if I need it.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:19 AM »
I like Remi and Marisa, but I can use Youmu if I need to. Of course, I'll be pretty fail no matter who I use, so...

Also, I don't need really need Hamachi. I can use it if it's necessary though.

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
I'm up for a tournament, can host.  My characters are Patchouli, Alice, and Tenshi, though not to good with Tenshi.

I also have a friend that may be interested, though he only plays Marisa, and it would be from my house, so same IP for that.

tliu0c

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »
Im not particularly interested in the tournament cuz everyone is in different location and time zone so I just think it would be a pain to work out.
I just want to play with you guys whoever is available.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:45:51 PM by tliu0c »