Author Topic: [Music] Rin Satsuki's Theme  (Read 22580 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
[Music] Rin Satsuki's Theme
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:29:50 AM »

OK, here it is.

The story behind Rin Satsuki always fascinated me. The idea of a Gensokyan who would have been completely unknown if no one had opened the source code of a game and looked inside fascinates me. So when I decided to make a theme for her, I wanted it to sound like a girl lost in the code of a game. I hope that comes across.

It's not in the style of ZUN, and might not even be a game theme at all, so I hope no one's expecting a lot of trumpets and piano.

Anyways, have a listen, enjoy, and of course feel free to offer your impressions or suggestions.

For the curious: this was made using Buzzmachines, Hydrogen, and Audacity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:21:24 PM by Advent Leticia »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Re: Rin Satsuki's Theme
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:38:05 AM »
Oh... Oh wow...

...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH~<3

Ahem... Now that that's out of the way...

I always kinda figured that Rin's theme would sound a little more melancholic, but... Wow.  That's just... It just fits my image of her so well.  I mean... Just... Ahah...

...I should probably wait until I'm in a more coherent frame of mind before I go on.  Ahem.

Spoiler:
Phase 3 is complete~  All is going according to schedule~ Eheheh~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
mmm...sound arabic and mysterious...

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »
I'M NOT LATE AM I?

Hehe, Theorist and VIVI covered most of it; the title of the song fits and the level of mysteriousness is high. All in all, a pretty good song considering it's not done in the vein of Touhou (which would likely add several amount of bonus points from me).

Though, a Touhou-style theme for Rin would be beyond awesome, if done right.

Spoiler:
Phase 3 is complete~  All is going according to schedule~ Eheheh~

Good Sir, then what is Phase 4?

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
Good Sir, then what is Phase 4?
A Danmakufu/Musuu no Danmaku script? I guess?
I do plan to do a Rin-centric script. Someday.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »
I wanna listen, but I'm in class... Downloading for future use! Thanks for the music, Ammy!

Drake

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
i want to touhou this up

EDIT: This could be the basis of Theorin's boss music, or possibly Stage 6 theme. Yes/yes?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Just gave it a listen not too long ago. Really nice work, Ammy~

@Drake: Y

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
i want to touhou this up

EDIT: This could be the basis of Theorin's boss music, or possibly Stage 6 theme. Yes/yes?
Y to both.
Also just got to listen it. Sounds very mysterious. GJ

Tengukami

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 05:14:46 PM »
Thanks, guys, much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoy it. I had a lot of fun making this piece, and I learned a lot about the programs I used during the process. Buzzmachines is a great program for making loops, but kind of counter-intuitive for composing melodies. In the future, I think I'll compose melodies on an instrument I'm comfortable with, like guitar, and then program the notes I come up with into Buzzmachines. That should make for a more fluid and natural melody. Hydrogen is a fantastic drum machine. And Audacity - just wow. I had no idea all the things you could do with Audacity.

Maybe I'll ask Santa for one of these.

i want to touhou this up

As it's a doujin work itself, of course anyone and everyone is welcome to take this theme and remix it or embellish it however they please. I'd be very curious to hear what other people would do with it. All I ask in return is credit for the original, but I'm sure that's a given.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
Currently experimenting with it right now. Might try and get a sample out before the end of the evening.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »
Currently experimenting with it right now. Might try and get a sample out before the end of the evening.

yay o

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this being used as stage theme music.

But if you want to change it, sure, let it ride.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:20:37 PM by Tengukami »

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »

Wow, two ambitions fulfilled so soon?  Awesome~

Now I just need to get some giant speakers, and then... Eheheh~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »
When I first listened to this track, I too think it might fit better as a stage theme, got a nice touch to it.

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
When I first listened to this track, I too think it might fit better as a stage theme, got a nice touch to it.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imitate ZUN or even write a game theme when I made this piece. I just wanted to write a song about Rin Satsuki; one that conveys her qualities and tells her story. I think that's been achieved.

Now, if we were to put it in a game context, I think it could work on its own as Rin's stage theme. Making it her game boss theme would require, I think, a solo somewhere in the middle. Probably one involving a violin, as that's as close as the west gets to an erhu.

EDIT: I have to say I'm really pleased with the reception this has been getting from you guys. I'm glad that you like it on its own (especially that Drake thinks it's worth being a Stage 6 theme) and am flattered by the talk of remixing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:51:21 PM by Tengukami »

Dragoshi

• Some sort of lurking trainwreck
  • May or may not exist. Possibly. Maybe.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
Y to both.
Also just got to listen it. Sounds very mysterious. GJ

Pretty much this as I can't really think of anything better to say. :x
All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
sounds effective as a stage theme. also like VIVI, it sounds very arabic to me (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;p)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 01:42:28 AM »
Well, I gave it my best shot.

Stage 6 - Fading Dreams

It's very much a remix, I'll admit that, but this song just filled me with so much inspiration that after I got the basic idea down, things just...WORKED.

There's a MIDI version, but TRUST me when I say that you want to hear this in proper quality. I'm actually more proud of this piece than anything else I've ever come up with, actually.

Now to watch some responses and see if that pride is misplaced...:/

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's not. :))

Drake

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 01:58:09 AM »
christ

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »
Oh god

Formless God

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 04:01:23 AM »
HOLY SHINKI HOW DID YOU DO THAT.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:03:43 AM by Formless God »

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:14 AM »

Stage 6 - Fading Dreams

It's very much a remix, I'll admit that, but this song just filled me with so much inspiration that after I got the basic idea down, things just...WORKED.

There's a MIDI version, but TRUST me when I say that you want to hear this in proper quality. I'm actually more proud of this piece than anything else I've ever come up with, actually.

Dammit man

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 04:45:32 AM »
This is really something.  I like mysterious stage themes like Heartfelt Fancy so this was right up my alley.  Roukanken's version is a pretty suitable stage 6, short but strongly mood-setting.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:48:10 AM »
You know, for some reason, I kinda feel like Magician's Melancholy from the Grimoire of Marisa soundtr--

Stage 6 - Fading Dreams

Oho. Never mind.

It could use some improvement. That opening segment is kinda lengthy and a bit out-of-place compared to the rest of it, and it needs more bass overall, and some of the background music seems to drown out what I think of as the main theme, but other than that, it's pretty damn snazzy.

Tengukami

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »

Stage 6 - Fading Dreams

They certainly did! I really like what you did with the original, and I think that made a bit longer with some added bass it would make a great Touhou-style theme.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
The original is not my style, but the remix... dammit! I'll make you a shrine.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:06 AM »
The original feels completely and utterly soul crushing...

I haven't listened to the remix yet though.

Tengukami

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 03:04:57 AM »
The original feels completely and utterly soul crushing...

I haven't listened to the remix yet though.

Ha, alright. Wasn't really going for the "completely and utterly soul crushing" sound there, but consider it noted.