Author Topic: Rou's Random Shorts  (Read 181350 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: Rou's Random Shorts (RECLAIMED!)
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »
Ahaha, oh wow. Thanks for the pleasing visual, Rou. :3~

The strawberry-scented package threw me off for a minute there. Though it makes me wonder what'd be in the box if it were from Ruro instead.. heh.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2010, 06:41:08 AM »
Holy dick, that fic syched up almost perfectly to "Fate of 60 years" when I read it.

Was that somehow intentional?
Wotters gonna' wot

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:37 AM »
The slender legs on the desk part almost made me nosebleed.

Congratulations on managing to entertain us all (especially Ruro, I assume) once more, RoU!
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »
I think I accidentally nosebled a little.

this is so cute~
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (The Only Possible Explanation)
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »
"Ah, nothing like a good drink to help you unwind~."

Junya Ota leant back on his chair, holding a freshly-opened bottle of beer in one hand and pulling his cap down with the other. Another long, hard day working on his latest production, and by now things were starting to come together.

For once, he would give the fans what they wanted rather than try to second guess them. He'd release the demo of Touhou 13 at Reitaisai, and the full game at Comiket. No fighters, no side-projects like Uwabami Breakers that no-one played, nothing. It killed the joy a little, but it had been 15 years now. He was due a break.

"Anyway, just a little to work on for Stage 3 and-"

"W-Wait! Mr. ZUN!"

A voice from outside his window? This was only his fifth bottle today - hallucinations usually didn't settle in until about nine or ten. He spun around in his chair, too blitzed to consider getting up.

The girl pressing her face against the window looked oddly familiar. That white shirt, the black skirt turning red at the ends, the sword at her waist and that little red tokin hat on her head. For some reason, though, the animal  ears coming out either side seemed a little off from what he remembered. Or maybe not, when he was drunk he got confused about a lot of things.

"I, um, have a message for you! From Miss Aya!"

She was still talking, it seemed. Usually his hallucinations weren't this coherent. Curious, ZUN slid the chair over and opened the window. The white wolf tengu, who'd been pressing against it the whole time, proceeded to lean forward into thin air.

"Ah, uwah-!"

She hit the floor face-first, her tokin falling onto the floor in front of him. He reached down and picked it up. It felt real, moreso than any delusion he'd had up until now. He was obviously becoming a pro at this whole getting drunk business.

"Hm, I think I remember you now. Momiji, right?"

The wolf nodded as she pulled herself up, blushing slightly. She hadn't been recognised by name in some time.

"But I don't remember giving you those ears. Or that tail of yours..."

"Uh, it's a long story. As strong as your power over Gensokyo is, fans are pretty powerful too."

She stood up, brushing at her skirt. ZUN's beer-addled mind took a second to process Momiji's words.

"Ah, so it's one of these Gensokyo fantasies again. Usually it's Yukari I end up seeing here. So, what's your message?"

"Ah, r-right!"

Momiji dug her left hand into her right sleeve, where the note she'd been given was secreted. She held it in front of her as she started reciting, squinting at Aya's tiny handwriting.

"Dear Mr. Junya Ota. While we at the Bunbunmaru appreciate the time and effort you put into portraying our business in your work Touhou Bunkachou - Shoot the Bullet, we feel that more could be done to prolong our relationships together. Therefore we would appreciate if, at the next annual Reitaisai, you released a follow-up to Bunkachou allowing us to delve further into the new residents of Gensokyo. Yours sincerely, Aya Shameimaru."

ZUN's eyes widened. Slightly, anyway, he wasn't sober enough to open them fully. He straightened his back slightly.

"Oh. Well, this isn't usually what happens...normally Yukari chats with me about the recent goings on and all. In fact she did that a few months ago, and I'm sort of already working on Touhou 13 right now, so...tell Aya I'm sorry, I guess."

Momiji pouted as she looked up at the hammered programmer. For an instant she started to turn around, ready to make her way back out the window. Her tail wagged a little, reminding ZUN of it's presence. It irked him slightly.

"W-Wait, there's a little note at the bottom. ...Momiji, if he doesn't co-operate, feel free to rough him up a little. Love, Aya...?"

Momiji seemed puzzled by the presence of this postscript. ZUN saw her eyes shift from the note to the sword at her side, then to him, then back to the note. One hand slid down slightly and reached for the hilt.

"...Sorry, Mr. ZUN. Orders are orders."

ZUN was too pissed to realise his life was apparently in danger. He smirked slightly.

"I love how these fantasies are so inconsistent. You realise if I die, you'll never get your game, right?"

He chuckled lightly as Momiji started to blush again. Clearly neither Aya or her had thought that far.

"I-I guess...uwah, now what? I can't tell Miss Aya that I failed..."

Her eyes scouted the room, almost absently. She didn't seem to be paying attention to anything in particular, until suddenly her head jerked to a halt and her eyes widened.

"Ah, there!"

She reached down to her waist again, this time fully unsheathing her scimitar-like blade. ZUN noticed even the light in the room bounced off the sword correctly - he was either really really drunk, or this was real.

She didn't hold the weapon towards him. She'd found a different target, and his eyes followed the blade of the tip. This time his eyes did widen when he saw what Momiji was aiming at. It was something much more precious to him than his own life, than any game he'd spend months working on.

Momiji's blade was hanging precariously over an unopened six-pack.

"Reitaisai, right?! Working on it, working on it~!"

-----

"Um, Miss Aya? The mission was a success."

"Good work, Momiji. I'll give you a bath tonight as a reward, and then it's off to get some footage for ZUN to work with! Just need a witty name for this one..."

"Hm...the project is holding back Touhou 13, and it'll probably affect sales...like a spoiler issue. And it's a sequel, sorta...how about Double Spoiler?"

"Oh, that's genius, Momiji! I'll get you some of your favourite treats for all your hard work!"

"Uuu...Miss Aya, I'm a tengu too...stupid fandom, deciding I need to be moe..."

"Eh? What was that, Momi~?"

"N-Nothing."

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
Re: Rou's Random Shorts (The Only Possible Explanation)
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
That's awesome.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
Very so.
                                                                                   .

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:21 AM »
Gah, you beat me to it. :B  Also, thirding.

Yamachanadu

• Apparently pre-Yamatrend
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:22 AM »
Nice, but it doesn't explain THAT ARMBAND, The new hairstyle, or sudden elf-ears.  3/10.
<%convider> with the nose on top it looks like a lovecraftian sam fisher

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
The new hairstyle is awesome, and that's all there's to it.
                                                                                   .

« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
*applause* Good show, good show.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Rou's Random Shorts (Doubly Spoilt)
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
The Annual Tengu Reporting Convention was not, as the name would suggest, a forum for serious conversation involving controversies and scandals within the publishing circles of Youkai Mountain. A more accurate title would have been the Annual Tengu Reporter All-Night Drinking Session, but that didn't sound quite as professional.

Normally, this was a ceremony that Aya Shameimaru would embrace with all her heart, guzzling down drinks faster than any tengu around her all while listening in on her fellow journalists 'accidentally' giving away their story for that week after one too many. Today, though, she trodded along taking a strong interest in her shoes as they left heavy imprints in the muddy earth. Everyone else had just flown to avoid the hassle, but right now she was doing her best not to be seen in case people laughed at her again. A late arrival wouldn't help her much, but there wasn't much to be done about that.

The event was taking place in one of the few bars the mountain had - most had been 'converted' by the Moriya Shrine for their 'indecency', which was godspeak for 'we could make more money out of them for something else'. Aya's tastes were a little more foreign - damn, the oni knew how to make it right! - but in the end beer was beer. She scraped the mud off her shoes as she got to the front entrance.

It wasn't until her head collided with someone's chest that Aya realised there was a bouncer.

"So what, you're a pervert off duty as well?"

Aya pulled her head back, blushing slightly. An unimpressed White Wolf Tengu stared back at her, growling.

"Oh, M-Momiji. Didn't know you were working tonight."

"Really? That's strange. Last I checked you knew everything I was doing. Don't tell me the great Shameimaru's fallen from grace?"

There was a layer of satisfaction hidden in those words, and Momiji couldn't help but grin at the sight of Aya. The crow tengu's tokin was hanging on one of her pointed ears, and her shirt was soaked through and clinging to her chest. She shook a little for the cold.

"Momiji...what happened to you? You used to be so adorable and moe..."

Momiji's foot started to tap on the floor, just where the earth stopped and the stone floor began.

"Aya, if you wouldn't mind hurrying up? You're blocking the way, and I'm going to need room to kick people out when they start throwing up."

Momiji was probably the one person here going home sober, and it didn't sound like she was very happy about it. Her hand fell to the sword at her waist, running a pair of fingers along its sheath.

The threat was enough.

"Yeah, yeah, got it. Just let me in."

Momiji gave Aya barely enough room to enter the bar. The festivities had clearly been going on for a while, from all the laughing and shouting going on as she walked in. More than once she'd come close to stabbing someone who was lying on the floor in a haze.

She wasn't here to drink, for a change. Everything that had happened to her was the fault of one man alone, a man who'd been invited to the conference as a guest speaker. The term was used semi-jokingly; of course no-one was going to be talking seriously, so he was here for other purposes instead. The man was well known for sharing the stories of Gensokyo with the outside world in the form of games, and today he was showing his latest creation to the tengu present.

Which was to say he was making people play it for the first time, whilst thoroughly drunk, and laughing at their inevitable failures.

"Ahahaha, really? You lost to Parsee? That's Easy Mode. Drink more, it'll help you concentrate."

ZUN downed yet another drink as he laughed at one tengu who could barely hold the controller. The computer had been donated by the kappa, and its sole attendant was standing next to it watching for any signs of the player getting ready to hurl. Everyone's attention was focused on the game, and the poor unlucky bastard playing it.

So of course no-one saw Aya coming from behind until it was too late.

"YOU."

Aya's voice contained pure malice as she looked down on ZUN. The drunken programmer tilted his head back, still wearing a stupid grin on his face.

"Ah, Aya-chan. What do you think of Double Spoiler~?"

He didn't seem to really register that Aya clearly didn't think he'd done that good a job. The bickering and shouting in the room quietened down so people could listen in.

"What do I think? What do I think!? What the hell did you do to me?!"

She pointed to her ears.

"The hell are these?! They looked normal before, but now all of a sudden I look like a goddamn elf! And the armband - what am I, cosplaying that SOS girl you're always rambling about?!"

Her face was turning as red as her Tokin as her rant continued. What made ZUN's games particularly special was that how he portrayed the residents of Gensokyo within them actually affected them personally. Aya had woken up one morning and found her ears suddenly stabbing into her pillow, and things only got more awkward from there.

"And Momiji - what happened to her? I walk up to her expecting her to be as adorable as usual, and what happens? She bites me! BITES ME, dammit!"

The sound of Aya slapping ZUN across the face echoed throughout the room. Total silence reigned as his glasses fell to the floor, shattering.

"Yeah, I got my pictures, but I'm a wreck now! No-one takes me seriously anymore, and even you seem to be getting distant from me. The hell is going on!?"

ZUN was roughly conscious enough now to realise that he was in hot water now. His eyes wandered around the room, looking for someone to back him up.

"Uh, well, things are complicated now. There's, well, someone else-"

"Get away from him, loser!"

A voice finally piped up from among the crowd. It was a voice that struck a chord in Aya's heart in the worst way. Its owner emerged soon after, her checkerboard skirt and strange rectangular camera giving her away even though she seemed to inexplicably be wearing ZUN's hat rather than her own.

Aya muttered under her breath.

"Hatate. You're kidding me..."

Hatate pulled herself out, running towards the programmer who had yet to rise from his seat. She wrapped her arms around him in a gesture that came across as both protection and fawning adoration.

"Deal with it, Aya. You're old news now. ZUN's moved on, and so should you."

ZUN himself blushed as Hatate's arms clutched tightly around his shoulders. He reached out and stroked her hair with one hand.

Aya's jaw just about hit the floor.

"You...you bitch! You can't do this to-"

Hatate burst into a demonic grin.

"Hey, Aya, maybe you should just go get drunk like everyone else. Otherwise some stuff might, like, get spilled that you'd rather keep private, right?"

Aya's face turned pale. She knew exactly what Hatate was getting at - she alone had managed to figure out that the incidents Aya wrote about were given more than a helping hand from the girl herself. If that came into the public, any last trace of credibility she had would slip away for good.

"D-Dammit..."

Reluctantly, Aya stepped away from the pair. Hatate pulled her head closer to ZUN's, a look of desire rising on her face. The alcohol hadn't done much for her inhibitions.

"Don't worry about her. I'm totally here for you..."

As the two started on a passionate kiss, the crowd finally started to break out into roars of applause, with a wolf-whistle or two thrown in. Aya was quickly forgotten, finding one of the seats at the bar whose owner had succumbed to gravity. She lodged herself onto it, and promptly slammed her head into the wood.

"Ayayayayayaya..."

Maybe this had all been a dream. Maybe some alcohol would make everything better again. And if not, it'd make her forget about it, at least. Either way, no reason not to start drinking now if it was on the house.

-----

Meanwhile, outside of it all, Momiji Inubashiri allowed herself a small smile.

"...And now I finally get some respect around here. About damn time."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:24:34 PM by Roukanken »

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
That is one of the funniest explainations I've seen for all the Double Spoiler changes. Nice.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
I- I- You- You-

Y U DO DIS ;-;
                                                                                   .

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
ZUN X Hatate WHAT
Good times, Rou. Good times.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »

Yamachanadu

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
Hmm, yes, copious amounts of beer Could help me forget.

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
Now, That was Something alright.
Comment Me OK. :D

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »
This hurt me like a levitated rabbit about to dropping a stone egg while I was crucified to a cross on my head and subsequently burning my legs with pain and suffering.

Truth to be said I didn't like Aya anyway, but fuck, does this hurt.

but Hatate... is, well, modern, and yes, I do like her better...mumble mumble...
Oh yes, before I forget, Rou, you made this very interesting indeed.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »
Truth to be said I didn't like Aya anyway, but fuck, does this hurt.
You know you're a good writer when you can cause this to happen. ;)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
Oh bby.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Rou's Random Shorts (The Forgotten)
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Apparently requests are my specialty because I suck at acting on ideas that I come up with myself :V

---

"Haah...haah..."

Rin's body was on fire. She couldn't move an inch, but her bed covers were soaked with sweat. A hacking cough racked her tiny frame, sending waves of pain across her body. Her eyes stared blankly at the ceiling, like they had been for what felt like months.

An erhu lay on the table next to her. She remembered that she used to pass the time by playing it, maybe impressing some of her friends in the human village with her songs. Now everyone was too afraid of her illness to approach her, and she didn't even have the strength to lift it herself. How long ago had that been? Days? Weeks? Since the fever struck the days had merged together, and she'd lost track of time.

"It...It hurts..."

She remembered Reimu, looking down at her with those deep red eyes of hers. The tears that fell onto her forehead were enough to cool her down for a while. She'd simply sat over the bed, beating her head against the table, constantly repeating 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry...', growing more hysterical until eventually Marisa had to drag her out. They disappeared into the red mist almost as soon as they'd walked out of the door.

The red mist. She'd known her body was frail, but at the time it just looked like dust in the air. It hadn't started to take effect until later that night. Most of the children simply suffered a mild cough, but Rin's body just wasn't strong enough to fight off the disease that it had brought around. The adults had gathered around her, saying there was nothing that could be done now, comforting her parents as they warned them to keep their distance.

"No...I'm not...going to...give up..."

Rin smiled, disregarding the pain it caused her. She was going to get better, then she and Reimu and Marisa would go and find out who caused the mist, and they'd stop it and beat up whoever was responsible and make friends with them. Her mind was as strong and optimistic as ever.

But her body couldn't match that strength.

"Aah...ack-"

A breath caught in her throat. Her body tried to cough on reflex, but no response came. Rin's arms started to force themselves to move as she started to choke - one grabbing at her throat, the other flailing around wildly. It reached out onto the table for something, anything that could help.

She was only barely conscious enough to recognise the sound of an erhu being knocked off the table onto the floor. The sound of the instrument snapping in two was audible.

"!!"

Rin's hand reached down to the floor, towards one of the broken pieces of wood. She struggled to wrap her fingers around it, placing it in her grasp. Everything hurt, she couldn't see, she couldn't breathe, she could barely think. Her body had reached its absolute limit, and every nerve was screaming in agony.

And then, almost out of mercy, the pain stopped.

The hand she'd stretched out went limp as it fell on the erhu's shattered strings. She lay still on the bed, her face unusually serene for a girl who had been through so much pain. Her chest was motionless.

And beneath those sweat-ridden sheets, Rin Satsuki's heart slowly came to a stop.

---

The next time she opened her eyes, she was welcomed by a sea of cherry blossoms.

"H...uh...?"

The rickety wooden bed she had been lying on had been replaced with cold, hard stone. Her hand reached down and touched it, confirming it was as uncomfortable as surfaces could get, but yet her body didn't seem to be in any pain.

"Am I...hallucinating?"

Rin looked down on herself as she rose to her feet. She was still in the pink blouse she had been wearing earlier, much drier than she remembered it being, and she felt the underdress beneath it still in place. She had been lying on some sort of staircase, seemingly continuing infinitely in both directions, and at its sides were a long line of majestic cherry trees, all in perfect bloom.

If this was in her mind, she'd certainly chosen a very beautiful hallucination. She walked up to the nearest tree, placing her hand on it in appreciating of its wonder.

"Oh."

As her hand slipped through, into the tree itself, Rin was only slightly surprised. For a moment, she allowed a pout to run across her face.

"So...I guess I'm dead."

"You are perceptive, child. Most humans would descend into denial at a time like this."

Another voice emerged from the staircase above her, echoing as it crossed the distance between them. Its owner didn't sound much older than she was, and as Rin made her way up the stairs she noticed she looked a similar age as well. Her light blue eyes seemed wise beyond her years, though, and her hair was a light shade of grey. The twin blades hanging at her waist looked like they were designed for a true master.

"It is a refreshing change to see one so at peace with their own demise. Welcome to Hakugyokurou, Miss Satsuki."

The girl proceeded to bow towards Rin - an awkward scene given that she was still standing on a higher stair. A white wisp emerged from behind her back as she knelt down, the hem of her green dress touching the floor. Rin blushed slightly.

"Um, thank you. Pleased to meet you too, Miss...?"

"Youmu. Youmu Konpaku. The pleasure is mine, but there is no time for formalities."

Youmu quickly took Rin by the hand, darting up the staircase at a speed her companion could barely keep up with. Apparently the dead could take form at will, otherwise Youmu would have let go of her the instant she'd broken away. For a moment Rin was scared she'd trip on the stairs, but as she looked down and saw her feet weren't even touching the floor that fear faded to the back of her mind.

"W-Wait! Where are we going? And why are we in such a hurry!?"

Youmu was hesitant to answer, taking a few seconds to turn her head. She didn't slow down in the slightest.

"These are questions you should offer my mistress, not me."

With that Youmu turned back to the staircase, continuing to lead Rin upwards. Realising there was no point in asking further Rin just allowed herself to be carried along. There was no use fighting anymore, after all. That was what life was for, anyway.

The lines of cherry trees at their sides continued all the way up the staircase, which Youmu was climbing faster than any human ever could. A trip that would take most men half an hour took her only a few minutes, and soon Rin felt her foot take shape again on the last of the stone steps. A clearing stood in front of them, and in its centre stood an even larger tree than any that Rin had seen on the way here, although with none of the beauty - this tree was dead, it seemed, never set to bloom again. Rin frowned at the thought.

At the foot of the tree was a shrine, old but well-kept. Its door hung open, and as Youmu let go of her hand she ran ahead towards the door. Rin had just about got the hang of taking form by now, and ran behind her at a slower pace. It felt exhilarating - she'd never been able to deal with physical strain in life, so it was fun to be able to run like this without getting tired.

"Lady Yuyuko! I have brought her."

Youmu stopped at the doorway, calling inside. As Rin caught up another voice echoed back from within the shrine.

"Ah, punctual as always. Good work, Youmu. You're excused."

Youmu bowed, turning to Rin once and offering a nod before running back the way she came down the staircase. Rin had never seen anyone with as much energy, but then again she'd been dead for all of five minutes.

"Don't be shy, Miss Satsuki. I imagine your last moments were quite the ordeal. I've made some tea for you."

The voice from inside beckoned her again. It was a young woman's, and it rang with a genuine concern that made Rin feel at ease even as she walked into the residence of a woman she'd never met before. As she entered the shrine itself, a folding door hung open at her side, and she could make out a kotatsu within. Assuming this was where her host was waiting for her, Rin stepped in and placed her legs beneath the kotatsu. She smiled as its warmth started to work its way into her body. The ability to take form at will was proving handier than she'd thought.

"I hope you like green tea. I'm afraid that's all we have up here."

From the next room along, her host - Yuyuko, from what she'd heard - finally emerged holding a pair of cups, steam wafting off their tops. She was dressed in a traditional kimono, in shades of blue and pink, and her light pink hair reminded Rin of the blossoms that she'd seen on the way up here. A mop hat with a wisp-like insignia sat on her head as she placed one of the cups in front of Rin.

"Enjoy. Youmu may take care of most of the work around here, but she'll never make tea like I can."

Yuyuko smiled as Rin gripped the cup. She'd never been a fan of tea in life - too hot for her liking, but now she could basically ignore the heat and enjoy the flavour. As she sipped at the tea, she found its bitter aftertaste surprisingly pleasing. She grinned.

"Thank you. It tastes really nice, ma'am."

Yuyuko gave off a hearty laugh.

"Ohohoh~! Such manners from a child your age. It truly is a shame that you met the end you did."

It had been painful, hadn't it? By now she could barely remember her own last moments. All she could recall was reaching out for her erhu, and then nothing. She sipped at her tea quietly.

"There isn't any use complaining, is there? We die when we die, right?"

For a moment, Yuyuko was taken aback by Rin's words. They conveyed a maturity, an acceptance that woman three times her age often lacked. Her host let out an impressed sigh.

"You are an impressive sight. The red mist has taken a truly tragic victim."

The mist. She remembered that, and for a moment fear registered in her eyes. Were Reimu and Marisa going to go on without her?

"I see what you're thinking, and I can assure you those two will be fine. You have reliable friends, I can tell you that much."

Rin sighed herself. Maybe there was no point in worrying about herself anymore, but her friends still had their own lives to live. It would have been a shame if they'd just thrown them away for her sake after she'd already passed on.

For a few minutes, the pair just sat and drank together. Rin complimented the gardening, while Yuyuko humbly said that Youmu had been responsible for keeping the blossoms in check. For a while, Rin even forgot that she had died entirely and simply accepted the company of this new friend of hers.

Yuyuko cut that atmosphere short with one sentence.

"You aren't supposed to be here, you know."

Rin tilted her head, puzzled.

"Not yet, at least. Your soul should have been passed to Higan and judged by the Yama, then sent here to spend the rest of eternity. That is how the cycle has always worked.

But I have been watching you, Rin. Watching as your illness took hold, putting you under more pain that children your age should be able to stand. I had to bring it upon myself to end your suffering a little early - my apologies, but it hurt to see you in such agony."

Yuyuko looked away, her face falling.

"And...I don't believe you deserved a death like that. You had such potential - you could have helped so many people, done so much for the world, and all of it will never happen now that you're gone. It's not my place to say as such, of course - my responsiblity is death, not life.

So...I've brought you here to offer you a second chance, in short."

Yuyuko placed her cup on the kotatsu, rising up. Her face turned deathly serious as she looked down at Rin.

"I cannot offer you much. If I were to make your rebirth too obvious I'd be discovered and your soul would inevitably pay a price for accepting the offer. Your new life will not resemble your old one in any way, but you will live again. You'll have another chance to do something good for the world.

But you'll know all the hardships of life again. You'll forget your time here, and your time as Rin Satsuki. You'll be forced to experience sadness, pain, tragedy, and suffering. I would not force that upon you unless you would willingly accept it."

There was a long, painful silence. Rin's eyes stared off into the distance as she pondered the offer, her face staying neutral in spite of all the conflicting ideas running through her head.

"...Maybe you're right. Maybe I'll forget everything, maybe I'll have to suffer if you let me go back. But still...it's them I'm worried about, not me."

Reimu and Marisa probably found her dead and buried her before resolving the red mist incident. They couldn't have taken it well, and it just felt wrong to leave them suffering so.

"If there's even a chance - even the tiniest chance that I can meet them again, in any form, I'll take it. So...I'll take you up on your offer, Miss."

Yuyuko closed her eyes, smiling to herself.

"So self-sacrificing for the sake of others. I knew I had chosen well."

From over here Rin could barely see, but there seemed to be a tear running down Yuyuko's cheek. Her host brushed it away before starting to walk around the kotatsu to the still-seated Rin.

"Very well, then. Perhaps you should take a nap now...it's been a long day for you. You deserve a rest."

Rin was about to disagree with the idea. She felt wide awake, ready to go, set for anything. But as Yuyuko's hand slipped onto her shoulder, she felt a sudden urge to rest her eyes. Just for a little while, at least. She'd wake up in a little bit for sure...

---

"Agh."

Rin shook herself awake as the dream came to the same end it always did. It wasn't a nightmare, technically - she didn't find it frightening so much as she found it annoying nowadays.

"Wish my brain could at least be a little more creative, though..."

It was a strange dream in that it always stayed at the front of her mind for a few seconds, but then it would just slip out of her head entirely. She didn't even have time to write anything about it before it was just 'that dream I always end up forgetting'.

It was too late in the morning now to get back to sleep, so Rin decided to just wake up and get dressed. One thing she always seemed to do after the dream was look through her clothes for a red ribbon to put in her hair. She'd never owned anything like that, though - black had always been her colour, and she ended up wearing the same black ribbons as always anyway.

The other feeling that always came with this dream was the feeling that she was in someone else's body. Her head always felt weird, like there were a pair of flaps that didn't belong there. It took a quick run-across her scalp with one hand to remind her that those were her ears.

Then there was the feeling of something stuck to her back, just above her hind quarters. Again, another hand slipping down to check before she slapped herself in the face and told herself off.

"Calm down, already. That's your tail."

She never told anyone about these dreams, mainly because it sort of felt like she was going insane. By the time anyone else was awake she'd have it entirely out of her head - which was good, because otherwise her master would find out whether she liked it or not.

Eventually, the rest of the household awakened. Rin was hanging over her friend's body as she rose from whatever dream she'd been having. There were times when Rin wondered if the girl ever stopped dreaming at all, and she just spent all day sleepwalking. It would explain a lot in terms of her brainpower, if nothing else.

"Unyu..."

She let out a groan as she woke up, her long black hair curling in every direction. Her eyes pulled themselves open, looking up lazily.

"Eh...morning, Rin."

Immediately the girl hanging over her waved a finger in her face. For some reason, being called by her name always gave her the chills. That was why she'd come up with her own nickname instead.

"Okuu, how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Orin, nya!"

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
Fantastic as always. Keep up the good work.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
I already told you that I loved this, but I think it bares repeating.  I love this.  You are an awesome human being for having written this, and I want to have your babies ahem~

Keep up the good work, please~  Your stuff's always great, really, and it's a real pleasure to read whenever I get the time to check it out.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2010, 09:47:09 PM »
You know, at the beginning, I was quite prepared to go "baww, darkfic", but ultimately, I do believe it made my head explode from awesome. ;)

Re: Rou's Random Shorts (The Forgotten)
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
Amazing as always. Although it was easy to predict what happened as soon as I saw the words "second chance". :V

But criticism:

(...) Reimu, looking down at her with those deep red eyes of hers.

Her eyes have always looked brown to me :<

It changes a lot. They're definitely red during IN/PoFV, for example. lolzunart
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:17:04 PM by Roukanken »

Yamachanadu

« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
Yeah, both Marisa and Reimu's eyes have shifted ridiculously throughout the games.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
Awesome story!

When I read the first sentence, I was like yay orin fic, then I was like oh it's Rin Satsuki. I was surprised when I realise she was Orin :o, did she time travel to live her whole life as Orin?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2010, 02:56:48 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Rin Satsuki - and Orin is actually pretty high on my tohosort (like top 5 iirc) but I actually went into this story thinking of Satsuki first. I'm just so used to Rin Kaenbyou being Orin and not Rin that I couldn't see a Rin to be Orin till the end...

And by then, Orin as Rin STILL hadn't occured to me, so when she's going through her physical checklist I was all like 'OMGWTF WHO DID SHE REINCARNATE AS ALREADY'

I am a shameful Orin fan.