Author Topic: Things that make you different from most Touhou players  (Read 134525 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Things that make you different from most Touhou players
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2009, 01:53:44 AM »
1) I've learned about Touhou from a friend :V
2) I don't like anime

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #271 on: September 28, 2009, 02:14:22 AM »

lucky man ;_;

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #272 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »
Half and half for me. The first time I even heard of anything Touhou was when I was still a Megaman maniac, and a website mentioned MegaMari. Then there was MStPT, THEN an online friend told me about SWR. THAT'S when I started my addiction.

1) I remember how I first learned about Touhou.
2) Even though I'm a huge fan of Touhou, I only use some of its roots as a base for my own manga I hope to start sometime, even though one character is so similar to a certain ordinary magician it's barely a coincidence...
3) I acknowledge the fact that I am sometimes an immature idiot. I just don't acknowledge when.
4) Kogasa surprised me on the EX stage by actually being difficult, then easy.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

« Reply #273 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:28 AM »
I name all my animals in Harvest Moon after Touhou characters :V

Fuck yeah Reimoo the cow!

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2009, 06:19:01 AM »
I hate Nico Douga. The only time I ever use it is when I'm linked to it, or when Youtube takes down a Nico video I enjoyed watching. :V

« Reply #275 on: September 30, 2009, 12:55:04 AM »
Lets see...

-Every game I play where I can, I will use laser Marisa. Even in games where there is no master spark, I use laser Marisa.
-In spite of the above, I first 1CC'd MoF with Marisa C since I refuse to abuse the Marisa B glitch and wasn't able to complete the game on a single credit without it.
-On the topic of MoF, I find Kanako one of the harder final bosses, seeing as how I found myself having to bomb most of her noncard attacks, as well as her spellcards. Same with Utsuho, though that might be due to her unusually high HP and the fact I use Marisa, which together means that resorting to bombspam is almost impossible against her.
-I've yet to capture Utsuho's final card. I know Hell's Artificial sun is trivial to most, and from the looks of things it should be to me as well, but I always seem to mess up somewhere on it.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #276 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
I like PCB's MIDI music more than the WAV version.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
I refuse to play Windows Touhou games nowadays.

I think that's the only real difference that matters really.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »
Touhou is a tad strange choice because of my taste in games.

A few of my other favorite games for comparison:
-X3: Terran Conflict / X3: Reunion
-Operation Flashpoint / Arma / Arma 2
-Mechwarrior 3 and 4
-Falcon 4.0
-Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
-Freespace 2

Needless to say, most of my friends don't expect me to even touch a game like Touhou unless they've seen me play it before.

And yet somehow I find Touhou very enjoyable, for reasons I have yet to figure out.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:01:22 AM by paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »
Touhou is a tad strange choice because of my taste in games.

A few of my other favorite games for comparison:
-X3: Terran Conflict / X3: Reunion
-Operation Flashpoint / Arma / Arma 2
-Mechwarrior 3 and 4
-Falcon 4.0
-Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
-Freespace 2

Needless to say, most of my friends don't expect me to even touch a game like Touhou unless they've seen me play it before.

And yet somehow I find Touhou very enjoyable, for reasons I have yet to figure out.

I have never heard of those games... I'm assuming they're FPS games?

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
I have never heard of those games... I'm assuming they're FPS games?

X3: Terran Conflict / X3: Reunion:
The X-series is a series of space combat and economic simulation games made by Egosoft. They're known for their freedom and sandbox style gameplay an infamous for their unforgivingly steep learning curve. They typically feature trading of goods across several systems in a supply and demand based economy as well as combat involving many different kinds of ships and weapons.

Operation Flashpoint / Arma / Arma 2:
Military simulation, or at least the best you'll get for a home computer.
Think Battlefield series but more realistic.
They're all made by Bohemia Interactive, who also make the Virtual Battlespace series of training simulators, which is used by many armed forces around the world to train soldiers.
They're sometimes criticized by some for being realistic to the point of being unfun, but I don't think so since Arma 2 is my multiplayer game of choice at the moment.

-Falcon 4.0:
In my opinion probably the best combat flight sim ever made. It's probably the closest you'll get to actually flying an F-16. I probably spent a couple weeks looking over basic tactics to play this game effectively. The 400+ page manual is a real pain to read, but worth it in my opinion.

-Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield:
In my opinion the last Rainbow Six game that was actually good. It's basically a tactical shooter like Operation Flashpoint and Arma, but focuses entirely on indoor combat, which has a completely different pace from the more outdoor, MOUT style action in Operation Flashpoint and Arma. Like those other tactical shooters, it's also sometimes criticized for being realistic to the point of not-fun, but I find it fantastic.

-Mechwarrior 3 and 4 and Freespace 2:
Mechwarrior is basically combat in mechs and Freespace is combat in space. They're not as steep as far as learning curve goes as the above games and not supposed to be realistic. Still, it doesn't mean they're easy to learn. Introduce them to a modern gamer who often has the attention span of a maggot and the first response tends to be "OH GOD WHAT DO ALL THESE BUTTONS DO?!!".  :V

Basically they're all games that are not very simple and all of them use at least 75% of the keyboard.

By sharp contrast Touhou can be picked up in five minutes, and uses about 8 keys.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:25:10 AM by paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #281 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:09 AM »
Dammit. Accidently post twice, darn browser not cooperating. Any way to delete this post?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:30:01 AM by paul1290 »

non-lolicon Ange fan

• Leave your jokes to your hair.
« Reply #282 on: October 01, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »
I like PCB's MIDI music more than the WAV version.

Same here. Paradise ~ Deep Mountain particulary sounds a lot, lot better on MIDI than WAV. Why that is, I don't know, maybe it's just me. There are some songs on IN I also prefer on MIDI.

« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »
A few more I thought up:
-I don't see any real resemblance between Nue and Flandre's themes. Yeah, the bridging part at the start sounds similar, but if we go by that then I could just as easily say Hinean Alien sounds like a remix of Nuclear Fusion.
-I can't use Sanae B in UFO very well. I know she does insane damage on paper, but that requires shotgunning while unfocused for optimal damage. I'm sure good players don't find that anything major, but its beyond my personal skill level. As such, I'm usually using Marisa A.
-As much as I do think Mima is an interesting character, I won't be broken up if she doesn't return. Same with Shinki (though I don't constantly run into people who constantly insist that she's going to be in the next game to the point where it gets scary, unlike with Mima).

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
I have not posted here yet...
- I spam continue on, HRtP, easy.
- I like most of SoEW, especially the extra stage theme (and complete darkness but it is not "different" from most Touhou players).
- I LOVE LSS
- I like LSS extra stage theme
- PoDD is boring
- MS is eye rape (stage 4...)
- I have beaten Flandre, Ran, Mokou and Suwako, but 1cc SA normal, no way !
- I like PoFV
- I like SA MarisaB
- UFO MarisaB is not terrible
- I like some SWR OST more than IaMP ones
- OH GOD I LIKE SOEW EXTRA THEMES
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »
I never got past EoSD stage 5. And I only got there once.
Same goes for PCB and IN.
I do rather well with the PC-98 games, but still can't finish any.
StB if freaking cool and freaking hard. Also, bad for self esteem.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2009, 03:31:32 AM »
I find Youmu's non-cards on lunatic to be very fun.
I enjoy Shou's curvy lasers.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2009, 04:20:06 AM »
I can not use forward focus types to save my life.

I find Marisa B in UFO to be one of the easiest to use.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:21:53 AM by Fox Fanatic »

« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »
I tend to play Touhou off and on... don't really care much about getting a decent high score or worry much about which shot type is actually the best. My first legitimate [lol MoF MarisaB] normal 1cc was Lotus Land Story with ReimuA [I think], though I felt that was too easy. I have yet to 1cc any of the Windows games on normal.

My computer can play MoF with minimal slowdown, but SA and UFO I can't get running below 10% , and even then it starts chugging around all over the place which throws off my concentration [yay crappy computer]. Despite that, UFO is actually my favorite game so far in the series, though this maybe due to the fact that I have a strange obsession with UFOs.

Even with slowdown, I can't get pass stage 3 of SA on normal. I actually think slowdown makes the game harder somehow, though this doesn't apply to UFO for some reason.

For some reason, I feel nostalgic playing the PC-98 games. Speaking of which, I like the darker atmosphere that the PC-98 games seem to give out, but none of the characters outside of Mima and Genji stick out to me.

Due to the, erm, uniqueness of ZUNart [which I've grown to like somehow] I find rule 34 images of Touhou characters to be really strange.

Never played the fighting games because my computer sucks and can't even run them.

I think that people were jumping the gun in accusing the playable characters in UFO of racism [though SanaeA comes very close, though that was due to Kanako's influence more than anything really] and this is coming from someone who dabbles in racism studies often.

Don't know why, but the Kaguya as a NEET meme annoys me, as well as Meiling being abused by Sakuya.

I sort of like Buront, even though I should probably hate him. That one comic was pretty awesome.

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2009, 01:22:42 PM »
I love Syou's curvy lasers, but I haven't lost a life to yet......Byakuren, on the other hand, I have yet to beat

FIGHT!

Formless God

« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »
1) I play Shin Megami Tensei and Grand Theft Auto and a few FPSes :V

2) I learned about Touhou from Master LL.
3) I find Mokou to be the hardest Extra boss ever =/ (couldn't capture ANY of her spell cards. In fact I always die RIGHT before she runs out of health)
4) I like complicated but slow patterns. And colorful ones *cough*Stage 4 Powerful*cough*
5) Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind is the best Touhou boss theme for me :V
6) I detest NSFW pics of Touhou characters >=(
7) And yukkuris.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:27:49 PM by Formless God »

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
Regarding Touhou:
1. I've never beaten an extra stage, but I like playing them anyway.
2. I seem to enjoy all the lesser-recognized songs, with my current favorite being Voyager 1969.
3. I like IN the most by far, partly due to the focus mechanics and partly due to spell practice mode.
4. I dislike most Touhou-related memes.
5. I dislike all NSFW pictures and stories, and there seem to be a lot of Touhou-related ones out there...
6. I like Touhou just for the gameplay, though the music and characters are a very nice addition.

Regarding me in general:
7. I love fluffy things, especially if they're small and/or pink.
8. I am of an undefined gender.
9. I enjoy hearing people's reactions to number 8.
10. Really though, I am.
11. I almost never use any text or picture smileys unless I'm extremely happy.
12. I love meeting new people as long as they act mature.
13. I can remix music well, but I can't compose to save my life.

That's everything that I can come up with off the top of my head. (Except small things like my favorite color, but anyone with a good vocabulary should be able to guess that anyway.)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
1. I have a photographic memory. However, this does not extend to music. By and large, I am unable to identify a Touhou song (name, boss character, game, etc) whenever I hear it in a remix or video. Unless it's called Fate of Sixty Years, someone else has to point it out to me. (Sometimes this happens even if it's called Fate of Sixty Years!)

2. I find canon to be boring, and canonfags to be irritating.

3. I hate IN. I have no idea if I've mentioned this before, but even if I have, it deserves mentioning twice.

4. I just checked my earliest post in this thread. I hate IN. There, I've mentioned it twice.

5. I like Hartmann's Youkai Girl (the song, and the girl).

6. I find Shou's lasers to be absolutely trivial, yet fair.

7. I have several gigs' worth of Touhou pictures. Maybe around ten of those individual pictures are even close to the border of NSFW, and none of them breach it.

8. I have at least five Mima folders. Mima solo, Mima with Marisa, Mima with other characters, Mima with Shinki, and Other People cosplaying as Mima. And I'm not even terribly fond of Mima.

9. I have beaten a game playing it blindly for the first time. Granted, it was IN normal. (See item 3.)

10. I don't really like Nue, yet she's the only extra stage boss I've ever beaten/had the motivation to beat.

« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
The first time I was exposed to Touhou was through PCB, as in, something Zun himself made.

I can get close to 1ccing a game in the morning, and playing again in the afternoon be unable to make it past level 1 without dying.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #294 on: October 16, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »
I never though byakuren's curved laser card was hard. (and now that I can read them it's even easier).

« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
1. I dont give a sh*t about absolutely anything touhou related (art sound chars story etc etc) apart the main games.
2. I look at touhou 1-5, and theres absolutely no way i will ever touch em, and yet i played and enjoyed 6-12 a real lot.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:08:47 PM by Horizont »

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #296 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »
Apparently my playing skills change according to how loud I'm humming or singing the song that's currently playing.

I'm gonna have to test this out when no one's home.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
I can capture Fujiyama Volcano consistently, even without full power and a Yuyuko solo.

I think that UFO has the most balanced playable shot types of all the Windows games.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »
I prefer fighting Merlin because I think her spellcard is ridiculously fun.

Bananamatic

« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »
I prefer fighting Merlin because I think her spellcard is ridiculously fun.
1) I don't know which one is Merlin
2) Vocaloid needs to die.