Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 224447 times)

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
With my defeat of Ran tonight, I've reached the end of an era for me and Touhou for now.

I'm going to take a bit of a break to work on my RPG Maker game (I'm still new with scripting and I'm trying to learn as I go so it's pretty exhausting, been at it since July). I've accomplished everything that I feel I was good enough and close to accomplishing so far. Anything involving Touhou and me playing at this point would be an almost new venture. I've only gotten to the beginning of numerous EX boss fights, hardly made it very far in any game on Hard outside of TD, and I've got almost no experience with IaMP, SWR, STB, and DS. Ran was the last thing I thought I had a good chance of breaking through, as although I only ever got to Ultimate Buddhist before recently, I knew I could beat her with a bit more practice.

I've beaten Flandre, 1cc'd EoSD on Hard, and 1cc'd almost every Windows game this year barring PoFV and UFO (UFO I had done last year and hadn't done again since, but will go back to). That's a hell of a lot of progress considering before DDC had come out, I was at a mere 5 games 1cc'd on Normal and 1 Extra Clear. And since then I've cleared all the main series single-player shmups, cleared 2 more Extras and even 1cc'd a Hard mode. I've done more than enough with Touhou for now. After a nice break I'll likely give some of the other EX stages a shot, and 1cc UFO again. But for now, I'll be stopping by mainly as someone on a short break. After all, I think I've deserved a little time off from Gensokyo. ^^
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #421 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
It was an interesting read, seeing how IN is probably the game I have spent the most time with myself (though not for scoring), so I liked going through this detailed summary of what you think about the individual stages. Out of curiosity, though, which one is the "salad nonspell"? I'm not particularly fond of both Kaguya's second and third one, though I can't remember if the third one is as bad on Normal as it is on the other difficulties.

Nonetheless, particularly in IN's case, I always thought that many of the patterns are more difficult on Normal than they are on Hard. The way I always saw it, there are two variations, Easy/Normal and Hard/Lunatic, where two successive difficulties contain the same pattern tuned differently, resulting in Normal and Lunatic being the hard versions and Easy and Hard the easier ones (which the different names kind of imply anyway). Particularly Kaguya's first Spellcard and Eirin's last regular one are great examples of this; Eirin's Spellcard, for example, is so infuriatingly slow, everything becomes so annoyingly cluttered - if I were given a choice, I'd take the Hard mode version over the Normal one.

The salad nonspell is the third one. I think that generally speaking it's her hardest attack on normal mode. Milking it on easy mode is already very difficult, since you have to pay attention so that you don't kill her or yourself.

I don't know what scoring on hard mode is like, actually. It's the one difficulty I haven't looked into at all, but it surely has some hard attacks. That one Keine spellcard comes to mind. The one you graze on lunatic. But maybe Kaguya is a tad easier on it. I don't know, but will likely find out eventually.

I didn't expect anyone to read that huge wall of text, haha. That surprised me a bit.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #422 on: April 25, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
I did enjoy reading it as well because IN scoring <3 (with a lot of points I understood quite well, amazingly)

« Reply #423 on: April 25, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »
That was a nice post. I hope you will make more of them in the future and muse less about how bad you are, how easy the things you do are, or how bad something else is, whether it was a game or a replay. Those are the things which drive people away from you, like in that announcement thread for that recent game.

There were a few questions or insecurities, which I'll try to fill in. First of all, difficulty-wise I find IN Normal the most difficult Normal I've played. The scoring is very technical and multiple patterns are really difficult and mastering every single attack from the game will take a good while no matter how fast you were with it, IN has a lot of boss attacks.

For difficulties amongst the solo humans, it's generally a two-sided blade. Youmu has more complicated optimization and milking due to how the shot and her familiar act, in addition to also having to do most grazes. (the other humans often do at least some of the grazes, but unfocused and only for a time enough to speedkill the attack off, and I would rather sit in Mokou's fifth spell for twenty seconds unfocused than sixty seconds focused) If you wanted to avoid some of the grazing and picked a solo human other than Youmu, you would end up having a lot of other troubles, though. First of all, the difficult attacks will last really long and you will lose a lot of points if you focus through them, while Youmu can gain some consolation time from grazing focused. Also, certain stage portions will become very difficult due to either large damage radius, low damage or both. Stage 4 can tear up Sakuya and Reimu, and while they have some difficulty with stage 6B (Both have to go very high under the fairies, Sakuya takes long, and Reimu's slow movement makes it difficult to move around in time), it ends up being a hell with Marisa and her explosive shot, when the nut-case top-screen strategy from Easy isn't feasible anymore. (If I recall correctly, the current WR only breaks one familiar, which is a small wonder) In the end, I would rank Youmu a bit more difficult than the other shot-types, but it's really about picking your poison, to be honest.

In term of  "mystery points", you're probably overlooking some cancels or nonspell milking efficiency. The fact that you get slightly more time from canceling bullets right as they spawn will play a role here with some of the fairies located in the later stage. If you wanted to learn the bonus cancel for the aimed fairies in the early stage, you could borrow a streaming below them-strategy, or attempt the one where you shoot until the first familiar has spawned, spin around to misdirect the familiars and then fire at the fairy with your familiar just as the fourth one comes out. Figure out a mantra or calculation in your head that you run through every time you face a fairy, and learn at which points of it to fire. This is in the case you want to optimize this portion, I wouldn't suggest it quite yet. I haven't seen your replay so I don't know of the other tricks you're missing. Don't you graze her first and fourth spell on Youmu? I thought it was worth doing. (They're worth around 400 and 700 graze, respectively)

The stage 3 nonspells are not that awful, especially in the case you're not attempting to graze them. This is mostly due to the fact that they're entirely static, based on Keine's position on the screen. I never found sight-reading them on Normal very difficult, but we come from very different backgrounds. To prevent strict situations on the boss nonspells, move around the clusters. I have noticed this is often feasible by altering between slightly left and right of the boss, where you should be located in the first place in order to efficiently milk the familiars.

For cues in stage 4, use the blue balls spawned by those large fairies. There is space just above where the lowest ones spawn in which you're supposed to fit into, and it will also act as your cue for what kind of a distance to keep from the fairy when doing the upward spin. The red bullets are aimed at you, and moving within a safe zone evades them completely, much like in stage 5, just less apparent to the eye and more difficult to execute.

I doubt doing the graze on Reisen's first spell is worth it unless you're going to graze the rest of the spell as well, it's only some fifty graze, and you most likely would get more points from shooting the boss. st would do it if it was worth, I believe, as it was a known strategy back when he did his run and he really used every trick in the book when doing that run. In addition to a couple of new strategies, which are together with the stage optimization what made the record as large as it is, not some idle grazing.

I personally found myself to be less consistent at Kaguya on Normal than I am at Lunatic, and sight-reading her first spell remains a mystery. I think there were some misdirection strategies devised for it years ago, which lost from twenty to ten million points in execution. Still less than failing the attack, though, and not that much altogether, considering the total amount of score moves in the four billion range. Salad is.. a fairly odd nonspell. You can figure a misdirection path for it (as the clusters move in the same general direction every time, altering a bit on Kaguya's position) and be rather successful in practice where your brain isn't a puddle compared to the moment you face that misfortune of an attack in a real run, where the bets are higher. For optimal play, you would want to time it down and fire at the familiars for as much as possible to gain extra time (I'd exclude the latter part until I went for 4.3B+ scores, and the former before I went for 4.2B+). You could practice the nonspell a lot in stage practice and become fairly prominent at it, but seeing people with thousands of Stage 6B credits fail the Lunatic version of the attack on their WR runs, I wouldn't count on that. Maybe safety bombing one non isn't that bad, at least for now. In my opinion, the Normal version of her second last spell is the most difficult one, as the Lunatic alteration has more spacey gaps. I wouldn't unfocus on the final spell. Not until the targets were high and WR-esque.

Good luck.

« Reply #424 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Apparently bombing closer to Meiling on her last non gives about 2M more score per bomb on max graze. Should be a few mil improvement on my normal runs now. I wonder what else I am losing points on.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:08:42 PM by cactu »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #425 on: April 25, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
I didn't expect anyone to read that huge wall of text, haha. That surprised me a bit.
In any sufficiently large group, I think it's a given that a few people will read posts like that.

This brings to mind how Seppo used to write so many long detailed posts when posting IN scores, actually...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:56:34 PM by Karisa »

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #426 on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
That was a nice post. I hope you will make more of them in the future and muse less about how bad you are, how easy the things you do are, or how bad something else is, whether it was a game or a replay. Those are the things which drive people away from you, like in that announcement thread for that recent game.

I doubt I'll make these sort of posts more than every once in a while. Not necessarily because I don't want to, but I don't really switch categories all that often, and I don't really talk much about progress unless it's a PB, if at all. For the massive self-decrepation, I have to agree, as for other people's run: I rarely ever talk about other other people's runs in the first place unless it's some crazy superplay. The one time where I did something like that (that I can recall right now) was when I was calling one of HBs runs bad. I believe that stating your opinion is something that I should be able to do without scaring people away, but in the past have been doing so in an unfriendly manner, to say the least. But I believe that the phrasing plays a bigger role in those cases than the actual opinion. Obviously, people would get mad if I went "Well, your run is shit" instead of, for example, saying "Look, you didn't manage that important section very well and were too passive during most of the game. It's quite unoptimized overall". I think one would be less prone to being ticked off if I went about it in such a way. But it doesn't happen often that I comment on a run of a fellow player.

For difficulties amongst the solo humans, it's generally a two-sided blade. Youmu has more complicated optimization and milking due to how the shot and her familiar act, in addition to also having to do most grazes. (the other humans often do at least some of the grazes, but unfocused and only for a time enough to speedkill the attack off, and I would rather sit in Mokou's fifth spell for twenty seconds unfocused than sixty seconds focused) If you wanted to avoid some of the grazing and picked a solo human other than Youmu, you would end up having a lot of other troubles, though. First of all, the difficult attacks will last really long and you will lose a lot of points if you focus through them, while Youmu can gain some consolation time from grazing focused. Also, certain stage portions will become very difficult due to either large damage radius, low damage or both. Stage 4 can tear up Sakuya and Reimu, and while they have some difficulty with stage 6B (Both have to go very high under the fairies, Sakuya takes long, and Reimu's slow movement makes it difficult to move around in time), it ends up being a hell with Marisa and her explosive shot, when the nut-case top-screen strategy from Easy isn't feasible anymore. (If I recall correctly, the current WR only breaks one familiar, which is a small wonder) In the end, I would rank Youmu a bit more difficult than the other shot-types, but it's really about picking your poison, to be honest.

I figured it may be something like that. I probably couldn't do stage 4 without Youmu's option even if I tried. Sakuya's weak shot in particular would probably make me admit defeat, haha. I admit that I didn't think of stage 6 (but it's very logical, true enough). Personally I believe choosing a solo human other then Youmu to avoid grazing is a pretty silly decision, does anyone really do that? It's not like not having to learn any supergrazes makes the game easier. Every shot in every game has her difficulties, and this is the case especially in IN where it's possible that PIV comes from fundamentally different things despite it being the same game still. But I thank you for the input. It was a silly point for me to bring up in the first place, possibly. "Oh look, what I'm doing is harder than this stuff" does look kind of immature.

In term of  "mystery points", you're probably overlooking some cancels or nonspell milking efficiency. The fact that you get slightly more time from canceling bullets right as they spawn will play a role here with some of the fairies located in the later stage. If you wanted to learn the bonus cancel for the aimed fairies in the early stage, you could borrow a streaming below them-strategy, or attempt the one where you shoot until the first familiar has spawned, spin around to misdirect the familiars and then fire at the fairy with your familiar just as the fourth one comes out. Figure out a mantra or calculation in your head that you run through every time you face a fairy, and learn at which points of it to fire. This is in the case you want to optimize this portion, I wouldn't suggest it quite yet. I haven't seen your replay so I don't know of the other tricks you're missing. Don't you graze her first and fourth spell on Youmu? I thought it was worth doing. (They're worth around 400 and 700 graze, respectively)

It's very likely that this is the case. Especially in the last section of the stage with the random spawns, it's sometimes difficult to keep track of how good the cancels were while you play. I also know I have troubles in the middle section of the stage when there's 2 sets of fairies spawning on each side of the screen. I tend to fail cancelling all 4 of them properly almost all the time. I think that this is something I'll look into in the sense that I want to know a reliable way of doing that section; it's usually one of my bigger losses in the stage I think. I also believe that learning those super tight cancels on the early fairies is a bit premature. I don't know how big the overall gain is, but I know fom having tried to learn those on easy mode that it's very difficult to get it right and it's not worth risking point items over just yet. As for grazing on Mystia: I know for sure st doesn't do it, so I would assume they aren't worth it. Or are those new strats that weren't known back in 2011? If that is the case, then it'd be a clear (or maybe not?) improvement over his run, wouldn't it?

The stage 3 nonspells are not that awful, especially in the case you're not attempting to graze them. This is mostly due to the fact that they're entirely static, based on Keine's position on the screen. I never found sight-reading them on Normal very difficult, but we come from very different backgrounds. To prevent strict situations on the boss nonspells, move around the clusters. I have noticed this is often feasible by altering between slightly left and right of the boss, where you should be located in the first place in order to efficiently milk the familiars.
? tend to get caught up in dodging and sometimes forget to milk the familiars. I don't think I have a set approach for them, but I'll try that. Thanks.

For cues in stage 4, use the blue balls spawned by those large fairies. There is space just above where the lowest ones spawn in which you're supposed to fit into, and it will also act as your cue for what kind of a distance to keep from the fairy when doing the upward spin. The red bullets are aimed at you, and moving within a safe zone evades them completely, much like in stage 5, just less apparent to the eye and more difficult to execute.

Upward spin? w What I tend to do is position myself roughly where the fairy will spawn, shoot it for a bit with both option and mainshot and then rather quickly move back, leaving my option to kill the fairy off. This usually doesn't result in any familiars being destroyed when there's only one of them on the screen, but I assume I lose some time by not shooting the fairy with my mainshot until it dies. The things I often die at is when they spawn on the screen at the same time, I shoot one of them for a bit (admittedly much less than I should, otherwise I wouldn't lose half of its familiars) and then sweep over to the other one, and the fast switch often causes me to hit one of the other fairy's bullets. I could imagine the deaths looking quite silly to other players.

I doubt doing the graze on Reisen's first spell is worth it unless you're going to graze the rest of the spell as well, it's only some fifty graze, and you most likely would get more points from shooting the boss. st would do it if it was worth, I believe, as it was a known strategy back when he did his run and he really used every trick in the book when doing that run. In addition to a couple of new strategies, which are together with the stage optimization what made the record as large as it is, not some idle grazing.

I don't see how it would be possible to graze the whole spell, but you're right. Youmu gains a lot of time from shooting the boss, so it's probably worth more. And yes, most of the reason why his run is so much better than anyone else's is because of his excellent time gathering during stages and bosses, but I do believe that his convenient grazing through the game gathered a noteworthy potion of score. Not some huge sum like 200m or so, but I like to think that overall it was worth about 30m to 40m, which I think is a lot, even in IN.

I personally found myself to be less consistent at Kaguya on Normal than I am at Lunatic, and sight-reading her first spell remains a mystery. I think there were some misdirection strategies devised for it years ago, which lost from twenty to ten million points in execution. Still less than failing the attack, though, and not that much altogether, considering the total amount of score moves in the four billion range. Salad is.. a fairly odd nonspell. You can figure a misdirection path for it (as the clusters move in the same general direction every time, altering a bit on Kaguya's position) and be rather successful in practice where your brain isn't a puddle compared to the moment you face that misfortune of an attack in a real run, where the bets are higher. For optimal play, you would want to time it down and fire at the familiars for as much as possible to gain extra time (I'd exclude the latter part until I went for 4.3B+ scores, and the former before I went for 4.2B+). You could practice the nonspell a lot in stage practice and become fairly prominent at it, but seeing people with thousands of Stage 6B credits fail the Lunatic version of the attack on their WR runs, I wouldn't count on that. Maybe safety bombing one non isn't that bad, at least for now. In my opinion, the Normal version of her second last spell is the most difficult one, as the Lunatic alteration has more spacey gaps. I wouldn't unfocus on the final spell. Not until the targets were high and WR-esque.

Good luck.

I used to think Buddhist Diamond was her hardest attack on normal when I started, but now I believe Rainbowcard and salad to be harder. Of course, I actually didn't know salad follows a general path every time (which would make sense, since Eirin's third non is an easier version of it and the bubbles do go in a similar way every time). I'll try to find a consistent path to capturing it, Not because I think I could get 4.2b right now, but because I'll play the stage a lot anyway and it might be a good idea to actually try to get better at the attack rather than just praying for what looked like RNG to me every time. Milking is definitely something I don't want to do just yet, though. That seems really scary.
If the lunatic version is more spacey, then playing on lunatic really won't help in this case. I guess I would have eventually found out by playing, but I'm rather slow in the head sometimes with noticing differences. I don't think unfocusing on the last spell is too bad aside from the last phase (in which I focused anyway in my PB), and I will probably continue to dodge the attack like that for a while, until I'm actually going for something really high.

Thank you for your input and the good luck w. I'll see what I can do.

In any sufficiently large group, I think it's a given that a few people will read posts like that.

I suppose that makes sense and is true. Maybe rather than saying I was surprised anyone read it at all, I was more surprised someone actually answered. It was mostly just me talking to myself. Or something like that.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #427 on: April 26, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Reformatted PC and lost all of my data for 12.5 ~ 14

My 100% Hatate Clear in double spoiler gone, Cirno is back at square one, And my Full Hard mode and 4/6 lunatic clear in DDC is gone \o/

Oh well, guess I have things to do if I ever get bored. Managed to salvage my deathless GFW extra replay since that was uploaded.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

« Reply #428 on: April 26, 2014, 12:38:18 PM »
Started playing some extra stage in EoSD. Goal is 500M, for now. If that is too easy, I'll go for 550M for the western record. I'll be using Reimu B since Marisa B is too sanic for me and the scoring potential isn't that much different. Got 416M yesterday, and 458M just now.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #429 on: April 26, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
After giving it a lot of thought, I'm going to take a break from Touhou. And I've also decided now, to only play Touhou if it's a casual event. I shall no longer be working on goals. Not actively at least,  unless I am enjoying the experience the whole time. If I'm not having fun, I simply will not play.

It's taken me a long time to realize that I simply don't enjoy grinding. Many people have pointed out that I'm not having fun when I play. And that's true. I've denied it for so long. I tried to swear that despite all my anger, I was strangely having fun. But I finally realize it. Most of the time I play, I don't enjoy it. I get elitist and self-conscious about whether my score is good and if elitists will shit on my runs.

I look at grinding a different way than most people. Many people see restarting as a new, fresh start at life. I think of it differently. Imagine if you were to work really hard at a painting, and then it ripped. You'd have to restart that same painting over and over again. Every time it ripped you'd have to redo it until you managed to get it right without the painting ripping. That's sort of how I feel about Touhou. The reason that restarting is so terrible for me is because I feel that after putting in all the time and effort in to doing that run, and then having it instantly wasted, sort of makes me feel upset. This is why LNNN is so hard for me to grind. There is literally NO margin for error. One mistake, no matter how far you got into the game, and you're done. It's over. I simply hate that. I really hate the thought of losing everything after putting in lots of effort.

As for scoring, I have no drive or interest to go far in scoring. Now, many people say that you need to score before thinking you're a good player. The thing is, I don't care if I'm a good player or not. I don't need to be "rated" as good or bad. That's not important to me anymore. Simply put it, I don't want to score. Because I'm not having fun. All my outbursts are due to massive insecurities and the temper deep inside of me. I've always been like this with Touhou. I've developed an addiction to winning in Touhou, and getting a new achievement. For some reason, I feel like the achievements I get better my low self-esteem and that's why I need them. I need the achievements to feel better about myself.

I got off topic. Back to scoring. I never really enjoyed learning the routes for scoring. It always felt like a chore to me. And the constant restarting just really grinded my gears. The thing is, the only reason I went for PCB and SA scoring, was for the community. I did it against my will because I wanted to fit into that standard of, "You have to score to be a good player". I wanted to be a "good player". At the time, that's what I wanted, and thus I wanted to fulfill the community's standards' needs. I was no longer playing for myself. This is why I broke down in early January and almost quit forever. It's because I wasn't enjoying it.

You may think it's laziness for someone to not want to grind. But I think that it's just a video game, and that if you don't want to put in the effort, then it's fine.

I can trace this as to why I started playing heavily in the first place. Two years ago, in Sophomore year of high school, I had struggled immensely with staying at the top in my advanced classes. No matter how hard I tried, I could never match those top people who seemed to do well in every single thing they did. I used Touhou as an escape for my problems. When I played Touhou, I felt that I was finally good at something. I felt that if I were to get a Lunatic clear and go far in Touhou, I'd be better than my classmates at something. Touhou was a way to boost my self esteem and make myself feel like I'm better than someone at something. I started out Touhou very competitively. Because of that, I developed a mindset of always wanting to win. Every time I lost, I would get extremely angry, and upset about the situation. Every time I got an achievement, I got this massive boost in self esteem. I felt that I had finally done something that was better than those top classmates. It was a delusional mindset, but it contributed to a long road of frustration and inevitably where I am today.

Today. I am finally admitting my problem. Without denial. I am addicted to Touhou achievements. And I am satisfying it with really tiny goals that are gotten after immense suffering through the grinding.

I realize that the only times I am actually having FUN (which is the most important part of Touhou), is when I play casually (of if I'm doing well. Because winning is so satisfying) I no longer like going for goals. I like to pick up Touhou, play an LNB run casually, and then move on. I also don't like playing Touhou too much at one time. I like to balance my play out, to keep it fresh. That's why I play all games instead of one. playing for one goal or game gets me frustrated after a short time.

So, starting today. I'm going to finally move onto other things. I want to live a non-Touhou life. I want to free myself from my addiction and needs. it might seem a bit sudden and dramatic, but this time, I feel like I'm finally doing myself a favor. I'm not going to vanish from the community. since I've made friends here, and it would be silly to just abandon them. And I still may stream and pick up a Touhou game occasionally. But if I'll ever seriously go for a goal again, I'm gonna want to make sure that I'll enjoy the grinding that goes into that goal. otherwise, there's no reason for me to force myself to play something I clearly don't enjoy playing.

tl;dr: I'm a casual now. And that's just how I like it. :3
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:58:59 PM by Mino ☆ »

Oh

« Reply #430 on: April 26, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
You should watch cute anime.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #431 on: April 26, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
You should watch cute anime.

I want to create a shmup. My ultimate dream. Danmakufu is a lotta work though.

« Reply #432 on: April 27, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
I defeated Mamizou (as Reimu) and got a legit Raiko kill (which means I didn't use the Marisa B bomb gimmick for over ⑨ 1ups, I used Reimu A, her focused shot is sooo good against the stage fairies) -in which I was very close to capturing Blue Lady Show- the other night, and a few nights after that, I defeated Ran (with Reimu A lol, her damage against Yukari is laughable, I'll have to beat Ran again using Sakuya A, Reimu B or Marisa A). Now the only ex-bosses left to defeat are Koishi and Flandre. I will save Flandre for last since EX-Patchouli is makes me cry every time, I almost always capture EX-Sanae's first, her second somewhat often and her third sometimes.

It's kind of funny how I feel after defeating any EX-BOSS for the first time (well it wasn't true for the VERY first EX-clear I had which was Suwako, back then I had trouble getting 1cc Normals consistently). For a few seconds, I'm overjoyed, I cheer etc. But very quickly the joy fades. The moment when I feel the best is when I finish the EX-BOSS's timeout card and move on to the survival card. The knowledge that this could be it, this could be the run that won't end in a gameover. The first maybe ten or so seconds of the survival card are the most important for me, as dying here (especially dying with bomb(s) remaining) has a high risk of jinxing the rest of the card for me, not to mention that th12-14 makes you lose lots of firepower (DDC maybe takes away only half a powerlevel and gives you P items if you shoot unfocused, but it will punish dying with extra bombs by taking them away T^T. Not always a jinx but it happens more often than not.

As for what comes next, I'm somewhat torn between whether I should try to 1cc something on hard (that isn't TD), try to unlock Yukari's Last Word in th08 (which means defeating Mokou with two others than Border Team, I was so close the other day, Mokou had literally a few pixel's width worth of hp left on Hourai Doll when I went as Ghost Team) or if I should keep going for the EX-BOSS clears, and after that, try for a phantasm-clear. If I do go for the last option, I'm gonna have to 1cc EoSD on normal or harder with someone else than Reimu A (I do love my homing amulets ;P) as her homing amulets just wont cut it on the EoSD EX-stage. And yeah I'm not including PoFV or GFW in my EX-clears. PoFV is just a pain for me to play, even if it is fun, it's quite tedious in the long run, as for GFW, it has different mechaics and you have to plan freezes, powerlevels & whatnot. Also I can't be bothered to grind the rest of the 1cc's to unlock the EX-stage.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »
I'm trying to improve my PCB Extra run by breaking my current hscore (~710m). It has been a while since I tried this and it went surprisingly well. I somewhat forgot how to do Banquet of 12 General Gods and Shikigami "Chen", struggle with Princess Tenko and Charming Siege's RNG is not being kind to me, but I can capture Illiterate Contract just fine. My total score was more than 500m, so I can definitely do this.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #434 on: April 28, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
To motivate myself to play more, I've started a log containing my best IN LNB each day. If I failed to clear on a day and all my runs were manual restarts or I didn't play at all, that day gets a big red mark. Somehow, that big red mark keeps making me reopen the game after losing motivation and give it another few attempts. Hopefully I'll actually get to a point where I can be bothered to at least get a successful LNB everyday.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
Some random PCB musings. I'm pretty sure that Lunatic version of Yuyuko's opener is the easiest one. Or at least the Easy version is the hardest. The game's difficulty is certainly funny in the latter half, with some nonspells and spellcards barely scaling at all, and some Easy versions not really feeling easy enough. Oh well, not that I mind at all. The game's immensely fun anyway. One last thing, up until now I was always reading "Prismriver" as "Primsriver". No idea why.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #436 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »
There's something endearing about a game where I can ragequit because I only have seven lives in reserve because I lost SO MANY in the preceding two minutes.

I guess if I keep playing, eventually I won't totally wreck myself on the second half of the game and that'll be the run to post.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #437 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
Been playing Double Spoiler lately. I originally started playing it so I could clear all the scenes before Impossible Spellcard comes out. But ever since I cleared all the scenes, and noticed that Chuckolator was scoring in Double Spoiler and chum was improving his Shoot the Bullet scores, I decided to join in on the fun. For the past few days, I've spent all my gaming time doing nothing but improving my Double Spoiler scores. I've redone many of the scenes now, including some of the really valuable ones, and just recently broke 40 million in total score.

Photo game scoring is addictive. It's fun being able to improve my scores without having to do full runs. Gonna work on improving some of the remaining scenes and see if I can break 50mil.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:44:23 AM by Andrew »

« Reply #438 on: May 03, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »
Been improving my normal route. Should be able to WR now if I make no big mistakes.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #439 on: May 03, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Welp. After starting a part-time job, my life has gotten significantly busier.

Thus, I probably won't be playing as much as usual until Summer comes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:46:21 AM by Player1 ☆ »

« Reply #440 on: May 04, 2014, 06:55:27 AM »
So I ended up going for MoF LNB, and I'd say it's going well so far, I have NMNB'd every stage in practice mode except stage 4, where I died to PWG (obvs).

As far as full runs are concerned...
Right now I'm allowing a death on stage 2, Hina's last 2 spells can be pretty evil, so I don't expect myself to capture them both every time (this will most likely change though).
As for stage 3, it's funny, there is something that just doesn't let me NMNB, because either a)I die to Hydro Camouflage b)I capture Hydro Camouflage but die to Illusionary Waterfall or c)I capture Hydro Camouflage AND Illusionary Waterfall, but die to Spin the Cephalic Plate.
Stage 4 is definitely my weak point, I almost always die to Momiji, sometimes twice. The set of large fairies before the crows at the end is a little bit troublesome because I can't always get to kill the one on the right, and PWG isn't the only thing I die to on Aya.
Stage 5 isn't too hard, I can semi-consistently NMNB the stage portion, and the only real threat on Sanae is Moses Miracle.
I don't have much trouble on stage 6, but I'd like to get at least one spare life to VoWG.

I really need to work on stage 4, mainly not dying on the stage portion (though on the plus side, dying once to Momiji almost guarantees I don't face the waterfall fairies), and try to at least get PWG to 5 seconds left (that way I only died once). I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to practice stage 6 as well, so that I don't screw up from nervousness (also, I hate Source of Rains, that card is stupid).

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Oh

« Reply #441 on: May 05, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »
Assuming you're using ReimuB, Illusionary Waterfall can be trivialized by leading Nitori twice to the right, and her last can be dealt with simple misdrection and slow streaming without the need to restream.
-----
I really don't feel like doing anything that involves effort these days, so I'm calling quits.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #442 on: May 05, 2014, 05:36:58 PM »
Welcome to the club, Denpa. :3

« Reply #443 on: May 05, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Assuming you're using ReimuB, Illusionary Waterfall can be trivialized by leading Nitori twice to the right, and her last can be dealt with simple misdrection and slow streaming without the need to restream.
-----
I really don't feel like doing anything that involves effort these days, so I'm calling quits.

Thanks for the tips and yes I'm using ReimuB, she kills everything so fast to not be using her. I fail those cards out of derps where I forget how to dodge mostly.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #444 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:07 AM »
I managed to beat
Spoiler:
Yukari
in Labyrinth of Touhou.
It took me a couple of tries but eventually figured out the strategy.
After she takes enough damage, she empty the Sp of all your characters including the ones in the back row.
So mbasically, what this mean is that :
1- you should not be afraid to spam spell cards liberally. Master Spark? No problem!
2- You should use as many buffs, debuffs and poison in the first phase of the battle as that's basically what will carry over to the end of the fight.
3- What matters in the end of the fight is your capacity to generate SP. SP recovery, SP and speed matter a lot here.
Thankfully, the boss will spend a turn boosting its defense so you have some time to make it happen.
I had to do a single grind session to boost Meiling magic defense a bit. She doesn't have that much magic defense compared to the others but it ended up being enough.
Believe it or not, she was the one that ended up carrying the team through the whole fight. ^^

Now the random battles start to be tough. I died a lot to stuff like the gold sorceresses. I had to make slower progress, being more careful and running away when I wasn't sure the battles would end well.
Also, I didn't managed to beat
Spoiler:
Flandre and that stomp monster mini boss
yet but I will come back for them eventually.

You can wish for anything!

Zil

« Reply #445 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
Found something cool in PoFV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Q-EU_m3kk

Eiki's spell actually has a fuckton more bullets than it seems to have.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #446 on: May 09, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Found something cool in PoFV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Q-EU_m3kk

Eiki's spell actually has a fuckton more bullets than it seems to have.

Good god, no surprise things can go awkward so quickly if she uses that one early into round two. That's a nice find, indeed, I was always wondering just where all those bullets keep coming from even though the battle hasn't even lasted 20 seconds.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #447 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
I wonder if that was done intentionally to increase the bullet-reflection chaos in the final battle...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:57:49 PM by Karisa »

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #448 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Vowing to 1cc EoSD Lunatic this weekend. I am nearly there, though I just need to put some nerve into Stage 6 practice. Not used to playing pure survival, so something worth working on at least.

« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
I noticed that Ran is fairly easy to beat once you've beaten her before, beat her on the first try as Reimu B. Also did a 1cc on SA with lots of lives to spare, as Reimu C.