Author Topic: Rewrite Mafia (Game Over - Town and Third Party Win)  (Read 74541 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Re: Rewrite Mafia (Game Over - Town and Third Party Win)
« Reply #870 on: May 29, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »
@ portraits

I didn't know my character was even male

I am also envious of your character's British-Gentleman appearance.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #871 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
awful town is a bit harsh.  I did try my best to push a case against you for what I saw as viable reasons and fulfill town's win condition, and I did press people when I saw something disagreeable.  Don't think that what other people intended to do with my copclaim should be indicative of the standard of my play, and I did explain myself as well as I could anyway when asked.  It's also probably a testament to how well you played (with regards to fooling people's system of meta-tells and whatnot). 

Perhaps I did not really convince anyone due to something (as usual) but my heart was in the right place.

« Reply #872 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:13 AM »
I don't think Affinity was that bad, really. Maybe an off game compared to his usual town play. Or maybe I just have low standards because it's hard to look bad on MotK when you have people joining games and making 1-3 posts of vague one liners per phase.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #873 on: May 29, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
Let's be honest, my view on Affinity is somewhat jaded from both my scum perspective and the fact he was bashing on me half the game.

It was certainly not one of your finer games. I treated you exactly as I would have treated you as town. Except maybe I'd have been a little less zealous about it. If I actually was town that game, I would have tried to lynch you pretty much most of that game for your play.

Also turns out I was pushing to get a cop mislynched most of the game, and almost succeeded. Ain't I a good scum.

===

Also thinking about it I guess the prospect of Scum!Raikaria is somewhat scary when people have issues telling my scum play from my town play.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:54:38 AM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

« Reply #874 on: May 29, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
well people having trouble reading you because they can't tell if you're crazy town or scum pretending to be crazy town is generally less "good play" and more "policy lynch"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #875 on: May 29, 2013, 07:40:01 AM »
well people having trouble reading you because they can't tell if you're crazy town or scum pretending to be crazy town is generally less "good play" and more "policy lynch"

Except this is MotK town.

Crazy town is better than AFK town, so any 'Policy' lynch on me would come so late that odds are there would be legitimate cases by then.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #876 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
Uh... so that happened. Okay then. Again, sorry Serela about bringing attention to the post restriction. I'm pretty sure I played awfully the whole time, but then again now I know why the only two votes on me were from IHNN and Rai. ^^;
Also, I'm a bit confused by all of the role-switching and everything, but whatever. I'll have to read the QTs later because I want to see them. Otherwise, good game everyone.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Re: Rewrite Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #877 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
I was reading this in company and it was a pretty fun game to follow. She noticed this scumslip halfway through D2:

Or someone who thinks I'm town is voteblocking someone who was voting me to keep their townread alive, did you think of that?Meta.  Meta that you know I don't have, and that you know I'm not going to trust you on.

We knew what it was supposed to mean, it's just that the wording most likely came from scum perspective.

She had also called Raikaria being scum all the way back in D1 and was pretty much right about everything in the game without changing opinion much at all, including not really trusting Huhwhat, who could have jointed with scum if there was a mislynch in D3. I was sheeping HW because he was even townier than BT when ignoring role shenanigans.

Rai was hard defending IHNN late D2, and we were surprised nobody took notice of it and continued to shrug him off as obstinate derptown. I personally wasn't sure he'd flip scum or it was going to be one of Affinity/BT until Affinity's cop claim happened. I should've probably written down our opinions on a QT so that this doesn't all seem like hindsight, I've just been away from mafia so long it didn't cross my mind.

tl;dr It's just been really fun to read. Would've been pretty awesome to play this game.

We might join some future game in summer as hydra (IRL, but only one of us would post) if mafia is still active and being a hydra is not a big problem.

Also Dormio, wasn't Serela supposed to die at the end of the day according to the role PMs?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #878 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Two other questions: One, how did Shadoweh voteblock herself twice? Two, where the hell did all of these irc logs come from?
EDIT: *reads Scum QT*
"I couldn't BS a reason for Validon on you though :/"
...SCREW YOU TOO GUYS. :I
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:34:29 AM by Validon98 »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #879 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
Rai was hard defending IHNN late D2, and we were surprised nobody took notice of it and continued to shrug him off as obstinate derptown. I personally wasn't sure he'd flip scum or it was going to be one of Affinity/BT until Affinity's cop claim happened. I should've probably written down our opinions on a QT so that this doesn't all seem like hindsight, I've just been away from mafia so long it didn't cross my mind.

Really? My intention was anything except that. I wrote down what IHNN had did 'wrong', which I didn't think was significant, and attempted to make the town follow other 'worse' cases. I never actually 'defended' IHNN, I just attempted to create a more appatising target for town.

My idea was simply to say 'IHNN's bad, but I think this is worse'. Also my point about trusting an ITP was correct, you shouldn't trust 3rd parties, however Huh What was telling the truth.

Then IHNN claimed and said 'Serela'. At which point I just knew there was no point and turned around and joined the wagon.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #880 on: May 29, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
Also Dormio, wasn't Serela supposed to die at the end of the day according to the role PMs?
Mistake on my part but it didn't matter too much so whatever.

how did Shadoweh voteblock herself twice?
By rewriting herself twice?

« Reply #881 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »
Really? My intention was anything except that. I wrote down what IHNN had did 'wrong', which I didn't think was significant, and attempted to make the town follow other 'worse' cases. I never actually 'defended' IHNN, I just attempted to create a more appatising target for town.

My idea was simply to say 'IHNN's bad, but I think this is worse'. Also my point about trusting an ITP was correct, you shouldn't trust 3rd parties, however Huh What was telling the truth.

I meant the whole thing about IHNN -not being there- in the last few hours.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #882 on: May 29, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Two other questions: One, how did Shadoweh voteblock herself twice? Two, where the hell did all of these irc logs come from?
EDIT: *reads Scum QT*
"I couldn't BS a reason for Validon on you though :/"
...SCREW YOU TOO GUYS. :I
My role let me voteblock myself to get role powers, with the cavaet I wasn't allowed to tell anyone I was voteblocking myself, or that I was anything but Vanilla Town.
The irc logs are likely coming from private queries, or from the #MotkTown channel on the irc server for shrinemaiden.

Also I hope you learned enough to not be quite as confused if you tried to play again. Mafia is a game, there's no need to take anything personally. We're all here to yell obscenities and have fun!

Vhaltz: If you hydra IRL no one can really stop you :V

Edit: My only regret is shooting Bardiche instead of Raikaria like I originally intended. However since I was contemplating shooting Affinity because everyone else thought he was scum, and Bard was trying to kill Jesus, I could have done worse!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:34:46 AM by Shadoweh »

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #883 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
I meant the whole thing about IHNN -not being there- in the last few hours.

Well, it was legitimate. The voteblock had nothing to do with IHNN. The whole voteblock thing was also another attempt to implicate someone else and make them worse than IHNN, while solve a mystery.

If you mean the part where HW asked him to claim and he didn't show, no, that was HW being silly, and I wasn't the only one to conk him over the head for it.

Edit: My only regret is shooting Bardiche instead of Raikaria like I originally intended. However since I was contemplating shooting Affinity because everyone else thought he was scum, and Bard was trying to kill Jesus, I could have done worse!

My mind-waves are evidently working.

But yeah, I came into this game with the intent 'play as if you were town, except you're not town.'. Which lead to me reverting back to ~hyperconfusedtownie~ status. Not my best game, but it is only my 2nd scum game, so, w/e.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:44:43 AM by Raikaria »

« Reply #884 on: May 29, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Vhaltz: If you hydra IRL no one can really stop you :V

I was commenting on that to find out what the general opinion on it would be, since I remember Bard and some others not being too keen on hydras at all. I can understand not liking them because it messes up the reads, but we'd be playing as hydra consistently and only one of us would be posting, so I hope that fixes the problem.

Playing separately has been troublesome before, and playing one at a time would means one gets to spend lots of time in mafia without being able to talk about it while the other gets to be bored. It wouldn't really work for us to play unless we did it as a hydra.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:29:34 PM by Vhaltzo »

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #885 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
Disclaimer: I've hydrad with people irl and not told anyone about it.
(only like once though, and I still posted like one person so no one noticed)

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #886 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
It was that time when Conq let ActionDan into his room.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #887 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:32 PM »
There is, sadly, nothing to be done about IRL hydras except quietly gnash one's teeth or simply not play in games with them. (The only person who can get away with fair IRL hydraing is Shadowert because her only hydra options are people that don't give nearly enough of a shit about Mafia to be a meaningful factor. <_<)

I suspect I will be doing the latter should Vhaltz actually sign up for a game.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Conqueror

« Reply #888 on: May 29, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
It was that time when Conq let ActionDan into his room.
actually it was; i told him to make his own account afterwards :V

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Shadoweh

« Reply #889 on: May 29, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
(The only person who can get away with fair IRL hydraing is Shadowert because her only hydra options are people that don't give nearly enough of a shit about Mafia to be a meaningful factor. <_<)
All of their hydra contributions are to stop posting in mafia anyways, one could argue I'm disadvantaged as a hydra ;_; I would think them playing as seperate players if they're close enough to look over each other's shoulders to be more of a problem actually, like Conq and his boyfriend.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #890 on: May 29, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
lol.

that was Darker than Black mafia right?

Don't lynch me.

« Reply #891 on: May 29, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
I would think them playing as seperate players if they're close enough to look over each other's shoulders to be more of a problem actually, like Conq and his boyfriend.

Yep, this is an issue =/

I also forgot to mention that she has been playing mafia with other people who were also new to the game, and not for very long. So yeah, this is kind of a big level jump she's making and the hydra probably won't be as significant as if I were to hydra with some other MotK player.
She also wanted to pop in and say hi but can't even post in RPG because she has never posted on the forum once despite having an account for a long time.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #892 on: May 29, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
I would think them playing as seperate players if they're close enough to look over each other's shoulders to be more of a problem actually, like Conq and his boyfriend.

I know full-well that this is also a problem. I had a game once long ago ruined by a town boyfriend confronting his scum girlfriend about her role in real life as soon as the game started and concluding she was scum based on her physical behavior in reaction.

The thing is, the solution then is that the real-life pair have to make a choice. It is easy to argue that forcing one of two people to sit out every game is unfair to those two people - and I do sympathize to a degree - but having an active hydra is unfair to the rest to the game, scum in particular. I don't think anyone that's hydra'd has ever really stopped to consider how incredibly powerful a second meta, a second set of eyes, and reduced accountability is. If it's used at all, it needs to be treated as a power role instead of an additional gimmick done as a lark.

She also wanted to pop in and say hi but can't even post in RPG because she has never posted on the forum once despite having an account for a long time.

Have her follow in the way of BBM. >_>
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:53:38 PM by Kilgamayan »

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Shadoweh

« Reply #893 on: May 29, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
Oh, and something that hasn't been said yet, a big apology to SilentShaman for lynching her Day 1, surely it is the curse of the Youmu avatar. Fix by applying cute Remilia or Sakuya or pajama clad heros instead and please don't go away ;_;

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #894 on: May 29, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
I don't think anyone that's hydra'd has ever really stopped to consider how incredibly powerful a second meta, a second set of eyes, and reduced accountability is.
I realized I should stop hydraing because I always strongman my way through their opinions and force my own on anyway ;_;

It ends up just being "you're okay with this post I'm making, right?" ...as long as they're around within an hour of me making it
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Conqueror

« Reply #895 on: May 29, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
I'd argue that the most powerful aspect of being in a hydra is the morale. You're not alone and you don't have to talk to yourself in endless circles! Second opinions are often wrong anyways.

Two players in a game conversing about game content outside the game thread is a breach of normal rules regardless of whether they're close or not so I don't see why that should affect anything? Just make ~*the game*~ a taboo subject while it's running like you do with all the other players. And don't accidentally peek at their role pm.

Have her follow in the way of BBM. >_>
Dormio, go send her that message you sent BBM.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #896 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
I have no idea why people would want to talk about Mafia outside of the game thread anyway. I hate talking about it inside the game thread enough!

« Reply #897 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
Putting on fa?ades both IRL and on the mafia game have been an issue in the only game we have played separately in the past regardless of not talking about the game, to the point where we agreed to not play against each other again. Potential problems can be dealt with to an extent, but they can still happen if we're careless, plus the stressing and unfamiliar atmosphere if we have to hide from each other to post in mafia, her being a pretty sensitive person. Playing against each other was a fun idea at first, but circumstances have proven that it's a bad, bad idea :(

If balance is going to be an issue, we tend to plan ahead of time, so we'd probably be able to let the mod know beforehand if we'll be joining the game just in case they consider they'd need to do some rebalancing and need some time for it. If we don't get to plan ahead I guess it's fine if we get stuck with particular roles to balance things out, but RNG is part of the fun as well.

We're relatively new players, too, we haven't played more than 6 games each, so we like discussing mafia. We had fun just discussing this game, but sitting out and discussing every game from the outside is bound to get boring at some point, specially considering that I don't think most games are as fun to read as this one was. Last one I can remember was IMP Mafia and that was probably because it was the first ongoing game I followed.

tl;dr I wouldn't request playing hydra knowing it's potential problems if there were alternatives :ohdear:

Anyway, I haven't been around for a while so I might've missed earlier games by SS and BBM, but I think all of the new faces played a pretty good game :D The only play I felt disappointed with was Raikaria's D1-midD2 when I thought he was derptown, and that made sense when he was scum.

Props to Affinity as well, I don't think he played as badly as everybody was assuming, he was just being painted as scum as soon as mid-D1 due to a single post and that thought stuck along for the rest of the game. His investigation was also decisive to finish the game in D3 and prevent a survivor/scum joint win :3

« Reply #898 on: May 29, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
i wouldn't date somebody i played mafia with, not even serela

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #899 on: May 29, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »
My role let me voteblock myself to get role powers, with the cavaet I wasn't allowed to tell anyone I was voteblocking myself, or that I was anything but Vanilla Town.
The irc logs are likely coming from private queries, or from the #MotkTown channel on the irc server for shrinemaiden.

I figured the first out on my own anyways, but, uh, no one told me we had an IRC thing for Mafia games. =_=