Author Topic: Spell Card Help Topic VI: How do I used Bomb?  (Read 152955 times)

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
Re: Spell Card Help Topic VI: How do I used Bomb?
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
Does anybody have a good strategy to get through the beginning of stage 4?
I'm referring to the part with a lot of fairies flying in and shooting little walls and kunai at you.
They always get me. :(

Well, I've always done it by standing my ground in the middle of the screen, shooting everything. Perhaps this isn't an option at higher difficulties, so you could try sticking to one side and just shooting one half of the fairies as fast as you can.
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Does anybody have a good strategy to get through the beginning of stage 4?
I'm referring to the part with a lot of fairies flying in and shooting little walls and kunai at you.
They always get me. :(

Marisa B bombing
:P

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
Raiko's Time out phase 3, how to? The first two were ok then the third one is like "I kill u nao". I like that timeout spell. Way to go ZUN, you found some use for the divine spirit sounds instead of leaving in every game without using it.

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
Wait, what is a video editing program gonna "help" with?

For that link that Star King posted.
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

KuroArashi100

« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
Wellllll, the stuff aims downward so you'll be safe at the top ... until the fan spread enemies come in. I think that part was just designed to be bombed the hell out of.
Well, I've always done it by standing my ground in the middle of the screen, shooting everything. Perhaps this isn't an option at higher difficulties, so you could try sticking to one side and just shooting one half of the fairies as fast as you can.

Thank you~
 managed to beat it just a few moments ago. After switching from Reimu B to ReimuA. :V

Raiko's Time out phase 3, how to? The first two were ok then the third one is like "I kill u nao". I like that timeout spell. Way to go ZUN, you found some use for the divine spirit sounds instead of leaving in every game without using it.

I'd like to know this too, the difficulty suddenly just skyrockets in that phase and I don't want to bomb the hell out of it every time.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
I'd like to know this too, the difficulty suddenly just skyrockets in that phase and I don't want to bomb the hell out of it every time.

Here's a replay, if it helps.
Basically my strategy is to circle clockwise at the bottom of the screen, jumping one wave at a time.
Granted it still requires some "leaps of faith" near the end but it's much more doable than trying to dodge it in the middle of the screen.

EDIT: Screen shots to demonstrate how this works.
Step one - jump down through the wave that's moving upwards

Step two - this is the hardest step, jump left up through wave moving down. Timing is very important. In the first "hard" wave that you have to do this, do it early and more to the left. In the second time you do this, I find it easier just to do it later and dodge all three waves at the same time. YMMV

Step three - dodge the two waves coming from the right by moving right

And you are back to step 1!
The hard part lasts two cycles plus step 1. Once the last phase appears and you've circled twice and moved down to the bottom of the screen you can sit there until the thing finishes up and admire the beauty.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:25:05 PM by Kanon »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
I'll have to keep at it. There's just too much going on. Reminds me of Wako's timeout.

KuroArashi100

« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
Things like that spell usually seem really overwhelming at first, and sometimes it is best to move on to other things, and try again later.
Usually I only manage to do it once I left it alone for a while.
At this moment it just is impossible to completely comprehend what's going on in that spell, much less identifying streams while dodging.

But wow... I didn't expect such an comprehensive reply. :V

Sahgren

« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2013, 02:26:58 AM »
Any tips for capturing Kaguya's first spell on Hard? I feel like if I move too far forward to dodge the bullets then I won't have enough time to react to the lasers. But if I move too far back to give myself time for the lasers, then the bullets some times wall me in.

« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
Fairy Wars Daiyousei 2nd stage last pattern how? The part where a crapload of fireballs are thrown at you.

While at FW, also Three Fairies and Team Tech.

Formless God

« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
- Screen corners
- Shoot one of the fairies in the back while grazing the stream of bullets she's shooting. Freeze the stream. If done correctly they will never get a single bullet off until the first fireball phase. Dodge it, then repeat step 1.
- Move up to freeze whenever possible, then back down and shoot em up

« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
Found a neat trick for one of the Lunatic stage 4 spells!

It might also be good for grazing.

Found a safespot/grazing method for Benben's first spell card too!

It's probably more relevant for scoring purposes though, as it gives a hefty amount of graze, without necessarily sacrificing much spell card bonus at all (might even be faster to kill it like this with MarisaA and her awkward flamethrower).
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
- Screen corners
- Shoot one of the fairies in the back while grazing the stream of bullets she's shooting. Freeze the stream. If done correctly they will never get a single bullet off until the first fireball phase. Dodge it, then repeat step 1.
- Move up to freeze whenever possible, then back down and shoot em up

Thank you, much appreciated!
I already tried freezing the stream, but I always get hit by the mandatory fireball explosion.

« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
It's a very sad day when I'm on Normal for DDC and I find Seija's spellcards getting easier (particularly Reverse Hierarchy). I know it's really just getting used to the inverted controls, but are there any spots people have noticed in "Danmaku Through the Looking Glass" and "This Side Down" that are safe?

« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
I need help on Raiko's seventh card. It just always overwhelms me with too much stuff to dodge  ???

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
Reverse Hierarchy. What the actual fuck is this?
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
I'm surprised people have trouble with inverting controls still. I got used to it quickly. The only tricky part is when Seija is like "flip the screen mid-spell so you can't see anything" "ok thx"
It's like ZUN put those in to hide the real awful spellcard. Arrows + upwards spell = wtf why

« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »
I'm surprised people have trouble with inverting controls still. I got used to it quickly. The only tricky part is when Seija is like "flip the screen mid-spell so you can't see anything" "ok thx"
It's like ZUN put those in to hide the real awful spellcard. Arrows + upwards spell = wtf why
Yeah, the first two are getting easy for me now: just limit myself to moving on one axis (X-axis) for both. Still hate the arrow spellcard, though. -_-

Reverse Hierarchy. What the actual fuck is this?
I still have occasional trouble with it (a lot), but I think a lot of the misses stem from being psyched out by the rotating screen. Just remember that the bullet streams are still going in the same direction, so keep your fingers glued to the arrow keys before you flipped. It's actually at its hardest when the second barrage of bullets come at you while inverted.

« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »
Yeah, the first two are getting easy for me now: just limit myself to moving on one axis (X-axis) for both. Still hate the arrow spellcard, though. -_-
I still have occasional trouble with it (a lot), but I think a lot of the misses stem from being psyched out by the rotating screen. Just remember that the bullet streams are still going in the same direction, so keep your fingers glued to the arrow keys before you flipped. It's actually at its hardest when the second barrage of bullets come at you while inverted.
It's also safer than you'd think to get closer to Seija, because the bullets follow a centripetal pattern and are therefore much slower in the middle, and at the ends they fan out which can catch you off guard as they accelerate to do so.

KuroArashi100

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
Does everybody really have so much trouble with her arrow pattern? That is one of her easier patterns IMO.
Just switch to the sides when it gets too dense.
The vertical switch card and the midboss card are much worse in my opinion.

« Reply #320 on: August 21, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »
Past Normal mode it seems like it's just dense everywhere lol.
Okay, so I cleared PCB Extra but I'm still bugged because even though I should get Princess Illusion and I've seen replays over and over, in action I'm somehow never fast enough-- she'll spawn in the lower middle when I'm trying to lure her to high up on the side like she does in every replay I've seen ever. Gah. Even her last two cards were easier to capture than this.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
Past Normal mode it seems like it's just dense everywhere lol.
Okay, so I cleared PCB Extra but I'm still bugged because even though I should get Princess Illusion and I've seen replays over and over, in action I'm somehow never fast enough-- she'll spawn in the lower middle when I'm trying to lure her to high up on the side like she does in every replay I've seen ever. Gah. Even her last two cards were easier to capture than this.

Well, she'll spawn in your head, after this she'll shoot an aimed group of bullets and a wave of bullets. So:

1- Waits she spawn over your head;
2- Move a bit away from her, if you can try to stay below her so you can keep shooting on her;
3- When she shoots, avoid the bubbles and try to pass through the wave of bullets;
4- It is easier to pass through the wave while it is close from is origin (Ran), so always try to stay closer from her.
5- Go back to 1 until beat the spellcard.

I think that you shouldn't be worried with luring her, if you can stay a bit close of her you can misdirect and pass through the waves 'easily'.

I'll upload one replay of me beating the Extra stage, I died a lot of times but I captured princess Tenko using those tips :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:43:51 AM by Kaze_Senshi »
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I'd recomend you to learn the same way as Phantasm's equivalent, so you can use the same method in both. Basically, when she's about to spawn you move diagonally when she's about to fire at you, and once she does you dodge it to the other side but keeping moving diagonally, and dodge the butterflies, etc. I can't explain it very well, you can see it in both my perfect Extra and Phantasm runs on my description.

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #323 on: August 22, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »
I need a lot of help with Kanako on Normal.

-Her second non-spell (The one where the onbashira attach)
-Rice Porridge in Tube "God's Rice Porridge" (It seems so simple, yet it just eats my lives)
-Heaven's Stream "Miracle of Otensui" (This one especially. Is there a trick to this, or am I just boned?)
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

KuroArashi100

« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2013, 05:46:28 AM »
I need a lot of help with Kanako on Normal.

-Her second non-spell (The one where the onbashira attach)
-Rice Porridge in Tube "God's Rice Porridge" (It seems so simple, yet it just eats my lives)
-Heaven's Stream "Miracle of Otensui" (This one especially. Is there a trick to this, or am I just boned?)

-The second nonspell is probably her easiest; start close to her, and stream downwards.
-Rice Porridge in Tube "God's Rice Porridge" is a pretty easy attack, stay at the bottom of the screen and dodge through wide (and expanding) gaps only if possible.
--Heaven's Stream "Miracle of Otensui" As far as I know, it is a streaming spell. the arrows at the side seem random though.

(Randomly decided to make a replay... and promptly died on Miracle of Otensui. That teaches me to play Touhou in the morning. It does show how I usually clear it though.)

Sahgren

« Reply #325 on: August 22, 2013, 06:08:29 AM »
For Heaven's Stream "Miracle of Otensui" you have to stream the center bullets and reset the stream to give yourself the space to weave through the arrows every time they point at you. I found a random replay on YouTube here.

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #326 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I can finally beat this game with this. Only one I haven't beaten yet other then SA, but let's not talk about that.
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
Did ZUN change the death bomb mechanics/time in DDC?
I am trying to beat extra stage and right now the only reason I haven't beaten it yet is because my death bombs fail constantly. I am seriously starting to think my keyboard doesn't register the bomb or something, or that the delay in sending the signal is longer than it should be.
And I'm going crazy or I have the same problem with moving sometimes. I would just die and my reaction is no wonder I died, I moved to the bottom or sides but the character stays still.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
Deathbombing seems to be basically the same

Also, is it even possible to capture Sakuna's timeout card with Marisa.
Like it goes from pretty straightforward and easy with Reimu to what seems to be close to pixel perfect required accuracy >.>

KuroArashi100

« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
Did ZUN change the death bomb mechanics/time in DDC?
I am trying to beat extra stage and right now the only reason I haven't beaten it yet is because my death bombs fail constantly. I am seriously starting to think my keyboard doesn't register the bomb or something, or that the delay in sending the signal is longer than it should be.
And I'm going crazy or I have the same problem with moving sometimes. I would just die and my reaction is no wonder I died, I moved to the bottom or sides but the character stays still.

Does the same happen with other games?
Because that would mean your keyboard is just broken.
There aren't any changes in mecahnics AFAIK.
You could try remapping your keys with AutoHotkey, and see if you still have the same problem.