Author Topic: Spell Card Help Topic VI: How do I used Bomb?  (Read 152952 times)

Re: Spell Card Help Topic VI: How do I used Bomb?
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »
What are the specific mechanics behind Honest Man's Death? I got lucky one time but I can't seem to get past the second beam

Also would like tips on Fujiyama Volcano. I tried to do that strategy where you run circles around Mokou but 30 tries and I still haven't captured it

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
What are the specific mechanics behind Honest Man's Death? I got lucky one time but I can't seem to get past the second beam

Also would like tips on Fujiyama Volcano. I tried to do that strategy where you run circles around Mokou but 30 tries and I still haven't captured it
It has been quite long time (years), but Honest Man's Death is a gimmick. It is a matter of timing where you had to be already moving to the other side before it appears since it takes time for the laser to be actually "active". When the laser spawns, it won't instantly kill you yet, so you need to be moving already.

Fujiyama Volcano you only circle the last wave of her pattern if I am not mistaking.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
The laser hitbox becomes active (meaning it will kill you) when it passed the point where your hitbox was when it fired.  Avoiding it requires moving towards it as it fires, as counterintuitive as it seems.  Or, if you feel suicidal, by doing silly circle the screen and all the familiar spawning bullets for 40 seconds with solo Yukari to capture it (not recommended).

« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
The laser hitbox becomes active (meaning it will kill you) when it passed the point where your hitbox was when it fired.  Avoiding it requires moving towards it as it fires, as counterintuitive as it seems.  Or, if you feel suicidal, by doing silly circle the screen and all the familiar spawning bullets for 40 seconds with solo Yukari to capture it (not recommended).

Oh man thank you so much, I thought it would be something similar to this but I never got the concept exactly.

Still struggling on Fujiyama Volcano though. It's just a finesse thing for me I find, I can't just execute some of the paths the videos I watch are doing  :V

EDIT: Finally captured it!!! :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:26:37 AM by WindGodGuy »

Monkeypro257

« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »
I need some tips on Kagerou's spell card: Sirius "High-Speed Pounce"  Lunatic.  I always have to bomb 2X in that spell card.  :colbert:

KuroArashi100

« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
Does anybody have any tips on dodging Ran's 5th nonspell? (The one with blue and green kunai, after Charming Siege from all Sides)

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
SO, like, most spells in this game.

More particularly, final boss's third spell.

Tip: take every possible opportunity to stream to the right - the walls will always force you to stream to the left.
Tip: the big knives have a long but pretty slim hitbox.
Tip: good fucking luck capturing this (and not, say, timing it out, assuming you survive for that long) if you don't stay like half the time under the boss as ReimuB (how do you do this???).

I can't do it. Best is 16s and half the healthbar left.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »
For those of you who might be struggling with the final boss's final spell, the way the glowies are aimed at you makes it so that going through the kunai walls is the easiest way to cap it. Center, left wall, center, right wall, center, etcetera.

PS: as for grazing weaponless 4th boss's second spell by spinning around her... you lose around 6m cap bonus but get like 900~1000 graze, possibly more?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:35:42 PM by BT »

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2013, 05:47:06 AM »
SO, like, most spells in this game.

More particularly, final boss's third spell.

Tip: take every possible opportunity to stream to the right - the walls will always force you to stream to the left.
Tip: the big knives have a long but pretty slim hitbox.
Tip: good fucking luck capturing this (and not, say, timing it out, assuming you survive for that long) if you don't stay like half the time under the boss as ReimuB (how do you do this???).

I can't do it. Best is 16s and half the healthbar left.

Even I can't do it as ReimuA. 0/243 and counting......*sigh
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:43 AM »
The third spell is supposed to have a giant hat hitbox but spell practice is missing it.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »
Is there any tips for Mokou's first spellcard? I captured it few times before but normally "by accident".
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Juubi Neion

• The Mage Forsaken by Time
  • Let me see... NO.
« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »
How are you supposed to deal with Seija's last spell, other than being Aya?
As for Mokou's first spell, you can rotate around the screen, or dodge through the green walls as long as possible, then rotate when it gets crowded.

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
Is there any tips for Mokou's first spellcard? I captured it few times before but normally "by accident".
Here's a timeout. Don't worry about the risky slips past the red knives once I make my first lap; the card ends well before that at about 38 seconds left (with the Border Team, Alice and Remilia should take even less and Yuyuko not much more). Some things to note: I start on the left side to skip one green line of shards (those bullets are the most annoying in this card) which also happens to misdirect the red knives quite well. Slip through your first green line under Mokou to maximise damage, then your second at the turnaround (around 44 seconds left). Whenever you go through such a green line, look closely at the bullets and don't hesitate too much to slip through them. They are the biggest threat here. Don't go through crossing lines of green shards and blue knives, though, let yourself get pushed through the knives first. Don't neglect the red knives on your way back to the left, either; adjust your height in-between the green lanes. The greens should be your focus, though.
This card is one of her trickier ones and it took me a long while to get it down (and I'm still not very consistent at it), so don't get discouraged!

For Seija's last (talking Normal here because I haven't bothered with Hard yet), the trick seems to be to go into the correct corner, that is the one that won't get you walled in, and just consistently go into the right direction (depending on the orientation) without letting the flip throw you off. If you need to go to the left at the bottom during one wave, hold left even as she flips; don't panic and turn around. I have a hunch that it's easier to wrap your head around (oho) than her second and it's pretty much just a "get used to it" card (which we've already had plenty of, think Koishi - especially Ancestors/RotI/Super-ego). I think the flipping is really not bad at all aside from the second card - for the first card, I just wiggle left and right a bit to get used to the controls and then it becomes child's play (again, at least on Normal). Normal Shou is definitely harder to me than Normal Seija.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »

When the knifes turn red, they're aimed at you.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
I can say... with full certainty... that whoever captures the final boss's third spellcard as ReimuB in spell practice is a god among men.

I was starting to think it possible until it dawned upon me that the streams become way too long during the final quarter of the spell, so that you're FORCED (enforced claim) to stream to the side of the screen if you want to survive. Doing so wastes exactly enough time for you to only dream of finishing it off.

Raising the impossible flag. Three hours wasted.

« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »
The extra stage midbosses in DDC with their last spellcard. Is it just dodging?

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
It's pretty much a skill-based card. One shoots in circles, the other shoots randoms then they switch after a while. To be honest the bullets are distracting when trying to dodge. Especially that terrible outline from the blend.

Just hold your bombs and hope for the best.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
It involves finding a gap that allows you through both rings of overlapping bullets as the circles reflect, while not being cornered by either of the bullets coming from two other directions. These come from two different angles since they switch after a while, and I think you need to learn both as opposed to switch to the other side (I've run low on time otherwise, using ReimuA).

I'm still rather inconsistent at it myself, but I think I've finally figured out how to handle the stage version (the spell practice version is easier because the bosses are closer to the center).

If you're just trying to clear, that one should be fine to plan a bomb (or two, it has a lot of health) for, particularly since defeating the midbosses faster means more stage enemies appear for more resources. I think only the survival and eighth spell are more difficult.

Speaking of the Extra survival, has anyone figured out a good strategy for capturing the last wave?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:02:44 PM by Karisa »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
Anyone know a good stage strategy? I usually go into Reiko with 1 or 2 lifes and 2 or 3 bombs. That takes me to her 5th card and maybe her 4th non. I unlocked 3 more today.

I'm stomped on how to tackle her 7th spell. I can't concentrate on where the star shaped bullet patterns shoot from the drums. Her eighth is alright I hate how the orbs move while the lasers are out.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
Anyone know a good stage strategy? I usually go into Reiko with 1 or 2 lifes and 2 or 3 bombs. That takes me to her 5th card and maybe her 4th non. I unlocked 3 more today.
I have a ReimuA route that reaches Raiko with 7 lives (including bombing the third midboss pattern) in this replay. Not sure if it'll work with any other shot types though, since it relies heavily on homing.

Remember that you can afford to spend a bomb for a 2.0 bonus, since that gives you 1/3 of a life. After three of those you've used 3 bombs to gain 1 life (which is worth 3 bombs after dying), so you're slightly ahead.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:46:59 PM by Karisa »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I have a ReimuA route that reaches Raiko with 7 lives (including bombing the third midboss pattern) in this replay. Not sure if it'll work with any other shot types though, since it relies heavily on homing.

Remember that you can afford to spend a bomb for a 2.0 bonus, since that gives you 1/3 of a life. After three of those you've used 3 bombs to gain 1 life (which is worth 3 bombs after dying), so you're slightly ahead.

:colonveeplusalpha:
I have no words as to how badass you are. I need to try this.

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »
I was just curious - is using a mirror in Seija's reverse cards considered cheating?

(I never tried, though I'm sure that's what other people have in their minds anyway)

Zil

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »
There's been some discussion on the topic of getting around her control changing. First of all using an actual mirror is ridiculous. But what people are actually considering is remapping the controls, and whether or not it should be considered "cheating." Some people say it is, some people say it isn't. I don't think there's a general agreement at this point. Just do whatever you want. It's not like your scores would be invalidated or anything so it really doesn't matter.

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2013, 02:22:35 AM »
Depends on what you consider cheating. I don't think there's a clear consensus on MoF's help system either. Personally I would avoid it unless it was REALLY hindering me and everyone else is doing it/it's an accepted tactic (can't run DDC at 60 fps so dunno how bad it is - though it didn't look too bad here).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:25:18 AM by Star King »

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:37 AM »
There's been some discussion on the topic of getting around her control changing. First of all using an actual mirror is ridiculous. But what people are actually considering is remapping the controls, and whether or not it should be considered "cheating." Some people say it is, some people say it isn't. I don't think there's a general agreement at this point. Just do whatever you want. It's not like your scores would be invalidated or anything so it really doesn't matter.

Hm...in that case, time to go experimental.  Even when I TAS'd a 1CC lunatic just to unlock these spells/stages while going 15 FPS, it slightly helped, but it didn't really help due to eccentric movements.  But then again, up until this point, we were never really adjusted to it.

Depends on what you consider cheating. I don't think there's a clear consensus on MoF's help system either. Personally I would avoid it unless it was REALLY hindering me and everyone else is doing it/it's an accepted tactic (can't run DDC at 60 fps so dunno how bad it is - though it didn't look too bad here).

That's just hilarious.  I won't be surprised if there already is a download link to that type of patch.  Unless there already is one...

« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2013, 02:36:28 AM »
Uh pretty sure he did it with video editing afterwards, not a patch, lol. Notice how seemed to go out of his way to do the second card no-vertical (since vertical movement is inverted in that card, seems like a good strategy).

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2013, 02:40:38 AM »
Damn...if that's so, in that case...I need a good video editing software.  I have Sony Vegas stashed somewhere in my old archives...don't know if that'll help, though.

KuroArashi100

« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
Does anybody have a good strategy to get through the beginning of stage 4?
I'm referring to the part with a lot of fairies flying in and shooting little walls and kunai at you.
They always get me. :(

Formless God

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »
Damn...if that's so, in that case...I need a good video editing software.  I have Sony Vegas stashed somewhere in my old archives...don't know if that'll help, though.
Wait, what is a video editing program gonna "help" with?

Does anybody have a good strategy to get through the beginning of stage 4?
I'm referring to the part with a lot of fairies flying in and shooting little walls and kunai at you.
They always get me. :(
Wellllll, the stuff aims downward so you'll be safe at the top ... until the fan spread enemies come in. I think that part was just designed to be bombed the hell out of.