Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222944 times)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #870 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
Wow. F.3.A.R. was mediocrity and it's mediocritest. And real short. I'mma play the original to get that flavor out of my mouth. I think I just saved a friend $8 from when it was on sale.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #871 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
Finished up Deus Ex Human Revolution No augs, no knockouts, no kills, no alerts run. Let's make an abbreviation for that: NANKNNKINA! Again, really fun. Omega Ranch kinda required me to blow hole through a wall with my exploding revolver but luckily nobody was close enough to hear it.

Now that I'm done with that challenge, I think I'll go finish up that Ghost Recon game. (Which is really disappointing. I had hoped for more tactical gameplay rather than just a generally piss-easy third person shooter with repetitive gameplay but eh, let's just finish off this game and shelf it afterwards.

When I'm done with exams, I think it might be SMT time!

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #872 on: June 23, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
I've spent many hours of the last week totally addicted to DROD (Deadly Rooms Of Death), probably the best puzzle game I've ever played. Close to finishing up Dugan's Dungeon, 22 floors down and 3 to go. Anyone else played this excellent game? If you do give it a shot, bear in mind the first two or three floors are basically a tutorial, and the difficulty ramps up quite a bit after that. Even in the less difficult areas though, the game feels very devious and it's always satisfying to clear a room. Hugely recommended!
Let's fight.

« Reply #873 on: June 23, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
I've been playing Touhoumon recently. It's an amusing hack to say the least.

« Reply #874 on: June 24, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
Been immersed in Asura's Wrath lately. Holy shit this game is just HNNGNGHGHGH. If I were to sum up the game (or shall I say "interactive anime movie"), take a climactic ending of the most epic game you have ever played and span it across the entire game. It's that amazing. Only downside is that it's rather short. I'm nearing the end and it hasn't been a lot of "playtime" so far. Though I'm inclined to fall for the DLC scam for once and get the bonus episodes.

Goddamnit Capcom stop making me love and hate you again. </3

Ozzy

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
« Reply #875 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
So because what appears to be the final boss in RE Revelations is currently ripping me a new one, I decided to go back to playing Chrono Trigger on the DS, after neglecting it for far too long. In the last week I managed to get all the way from Heckran to
Spoiler:
recruiting Magus.
I've been told that I'm near the end of the game, but I apparently missed a whole bunch of side stuff. I'll have to replay this game sometime, but right now I want to see which ending I'm going to get.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #876 on: June 25, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »
So because what appears to be the final boss in RE Revelations is currently ripping me a new one, I decided to go back to playing Chrono Trigger on the DS, after neglecting it for far too long. In the last week I managed to get all the way from Heckran to
Spoiler:
recruiting Magus.
I've been told that I'm near the end of the game, but I apparently missed a whole bunch of side stuff. I'll have to replay this game sometime, but right now I want to see which ending I'm going to get.
The side stuff in CT is pretty much all from the moment when the final dungeon makes itself pretty clear, and you get back the ability to go wherever and whenever.  There is extremely little stuff during the story that is missable.

As for endings, there's only really the main ending available the first time through - there's just some variance based on three factors: how you get to the final boss (
Spoiler:
Epoch's Day Of Lavos setting, End of Time's bucket, or through the Black Omen
), whether or not you do the Death Mountain sidequest successfully, and whether you choose to kill
Spoiler:
Magus
or not when given the chance.  It's roughly the same ending, however.  All the seriously different endings are triggered by using various things present in NG+ to challenge the final boss early and thus have some... unusual repercussions on the timeline.

On my end, discovered two things while gaming on my vacation:

1. I'm really really bad at Metal Gear Solid 3.
2. Meanwhile I seem to have almost broken Wild Arms XF because I haven't lost in a while, it's just... there is no such thing as a fast battle in that game.  Every fight is long.  Also, I think I missed the Ragu O Ragula fight... D:

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #877 on: June 25, 2012, 06:04:14 AM »
Aside from my very, very slow progress on Digimon World 2, Digimon World, Digimon Masters Online and Persona 3 FES, I got my hands on two "new" games, one I was interested in and another which I was looking for ages and I finally got my hands on.

First in Kingdom Hearts Re-Coded, for the DS, it seems interesting enough for now, but I don't see the storyline being any useful for the canon anytime soon.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, for the PS2, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~ <3333333333333333333333333 <- I've been looking for this for ages!

First thing I did was do some weird ripping-and-patching stuff to get the game to about 90% english, and now I'm playing like a madman, just finished Roxas's intro, and indeed, I forgot how much better Sora was to play with than Roxas.

Also, Critical Mode is fun as fuck, starting the game with 2 Lucky Luckys and an Aerial Finisher Plus AND a Finisher Plus? GodDAMN
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:05:47 AM by Motomiya Sacchi »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #878 on: June 25, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
1. I'm really really bad at Metal Gear Solid 3.
What are you bad at? Unless you keep running out of tranqs, they're always the best way to take out enemies until you get a sniper rifle (and you can steal a boss' tranquilizer sniper rifle, too!) If you've having trouble seeing enemies before they see you, just go prone every time you reach an intersection while still in cover and sneak up to it so you can see. Also, play around with the camo. Some of them are better in some situations than ones you'd think perform better.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #879 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:54 AM »
currently playing.. for psp
Blazblue CSE
FF type-0
God eater again
Blue roses
Tales of the world 3

« Reply #880 on: June 26, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
I just started playing Ib (thanks to Pixiv :F). At first I thought it was going to be some mystery RPG. I was wrong.
Now I'm stuck because I'm scared ;____;. Damn. I really want to get an ending but I'm too scared to go out and explore further.
I'm so silly, lol.

춤추는 작은 까탈레나~

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #881 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »
Kingdom Hearts 3D demo  :V
Knights in the Nightmare DS (I friggin' love this game)

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #882 on: June 27, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »
I just finished Mass Effect 3 with the Extended Cut DLC.

I can say it was the biggest blessing this game ever got and ever will get.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:31:45 AM by Motomiya Sacchi »

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #883 on: June 27, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
Been playing some Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
Can't get enough of those games.
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

« Reply #884 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
I just finished Mass Effect 3 with the Extended Cut DLC.

I can say it was the biggest blessing this game ever got and ever will get.
And I'm sitting here waiting for a new copy of Mass Effect 1 to arrive (and have it hopefully work properly this time around) so that I can finally go through the entire trilogy and finish it with the new ending. :E

Meanwhile Max Payne 3, really stylish game. Then again it's Rockstar so what else am I to expect.

Formless God

« Reply #885 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
- Black 2, my first Pokemans game since, uh, Emerald. I'm not particularly fond of the babby difficulty (hell, even the moonspeak is easy) and those pink things monopolizing all the EXP.
- Onimusha Dawn of Dreams. This game aged pretty well.

« Reply #886 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
Beat Dante's Inferno was a lot of fun buuut I can see why people say it plays way too close to GoW.
Bayonetta's a cripe ton of fun but... well I gotta say the plot's going kinda oddly enough at the beginning. I like how they play a song for a 5 second scene, cut it off, and play a new song all in the same cutscene. Also, what's up with those still frame ones where they aren't moving but their voice is going, and yet for some reason their hair is still flowing with the wind? Just seems odd to me.

Also bought Dark Souls recently. Haven't played yet, no judgment can be placed.

« Reply #887 on: June 30, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
I wish you fun times, Dark Souls is tough as nails but very motivating. Awesome game for sure, I'm playing it at the moment too.

That and Shadows of the Damned (Suda51 I love you <3) and Mortal Kombat for the xbawks.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #888 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Pokemon Conquest came in whoooo

it's... it's actually slightly tougher than I expected it to be based on the first couple kingdoms.  Then again I'm deliberately avoiding grinding and that definitely seems to be one of those things that can make a big difference in this game.  But the 'only one move per Pokemon' thing isn't actually bothering me as much as I expected.  It means I need to actually tailor my teams to what I'm about to face and that's actually really nice, because typically in Pokemon games (and SRPGs in general) there's no reason not to stick with a single party throughout the whole game.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #889 on: July 01, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Pokemon Conquest came in whoooo

it's... it's actually slightly tougher than I expected it to be based on the first couple kingdoms.  Then again I'm deliberately avoiding grinding and that definitely seems to be one of those things that can make a big difference in this game.  But the 'only one move per Pokemon' thing isn't actually bothering me as much as I expected.  It means I need to actually tailor my teams to what I'm about to face and that's actually really nice, because typically in Pokemon games (and SRPGs in general) there's no reason not to stick with a single party throughout the whole game.
Images. Now.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #890 on: July 01, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
I don't even get good quality photos from my webcam unfortunately D:

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #891 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
Mostly the PC-98 Touhou games. I've been getting into HRtP as of late.

If you want games other than Touhou, Pokemon White and Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch De Dokodon.

The Binding of Isaac, Earthbound, Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Earthbound Zero/Mother 1, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Mega Man games 1 through 4, Mega Man X

Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV

I have too much time at home, don't I?
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #892 on: July 01, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Been playing Quantum Conundrum lately (and no I didn't buy it for the TF2 items, I previously played a demo at PAX East :V). Without going into comparisons with the Portal series (which arise largely from Portal's lead designer, Kim Swift, working on this game too), I'll say that the ideas are sound and fun to toy with. However the puzzles themselves have a ton of trial-and-error and platforming involved. Plus the level design isn't all that great.

Earthbound Zero/Mother 1
Excellent game and series, but I recommend installing the Easy Patch. The first game has a royal ton of grinding that really slows things down.

Minecraft
Join us on the server :3
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #893 on: July 01, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
Started playing Island of Happiness again.  It took a couple of in game days to remember what I was doing.  I had to restart after that because I had a cow and chicken and not feeding them for a couple of days might be a little bad.  Also was gunning for the Witch.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #894 on: July 01, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
Excellent game and series, but I recommend installing the Easy Patch. The first game has a royal ton of grinding that really slows things down.

I would, but that would make the game easy. I actually enjoy grinding. One time I just sat at Onett (This is Earthbound) and actually made enough money to buy that house on the edge of town AND a Cup of Lifenoodles to boot! (Note: Assuming that Lifenoodles cost $1500 a cup. Yes I know you can't buy lifenoodles until you get to Saturn Valley, I'm just saying for the sake of saying.) I don't mean to sound like a jackass turning you down, I don't mean it in any form of hostility. I'm just saying that I'd like to have the challenge Itoi intended. If I can take ZUN's challenges, I can attempt to take Itoi's.

On second thought I might install it but only if I decide that, yeah, this is getting too damn annoying.

Join us on the server :3

FUCK YES.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #895 on: July 01, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
I have finally started playing Skyrim. I think every dungeon I've explored so far has had some uniqeness to it, or some kind of mini-plot, which I find pretty cool. I also like how the map records which dungeons I've already cleared. Spares me from having to remember them all like I did in Oblivion.

I never heard of this easy patch for the first Mother game. I got through without it, though I have to admit some parts were kind of silly. I wouldn't want to change it though. I found the constant threat of death to be part of the game's appeal. :V

A tip to make the end a bit easier:
Spoiler:
Get a bunch of flamethrowers from the thugs in the last city.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:13:20 PM by Zil »

« Reply #896 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
anyone still looking/having stuff to use on UT2k4 ?

Mechwarrior 4 (its free...FREE !)

Busou Shinki Battle Masters Mk 2

some Borderlands on Xbox 360, wish there was some touhou models to replace original characters on the PC version...I'd go heels over head for that...

Dawn of war soulstorm : Black eldars are pissin' me off so I rage quit with me battle sisters...

And if I ever get a better PC I'll invest in getting New Vegas and slap on some mods and have some touhou/mecha musume models....I mean, I'm gonna look at a video game character's ass for hours upon hours, might as well be a PRETTY ass

And I am STILL scared sh*tless of original touhou games...
I dunno I just feel like horrible things will happen if I play thoses...

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #897 on: July 01, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
I would, but that would make the game easy. I actually enjoy grinding. One time I just sat at Onett (This is Earthbound) and actually made enough money to buy that house on the edge of town AND a Cup of Lifenoodles to boot! (Note: Assuming that Lifenoodles cost $1500 a cup. Yes I know you can't buy lifenoodles until you get to Saturn Valley, I'm just saying for the sake of saying.) I don't mean to sound like a jackass turning you down, I don't mean it in any form of hostility. I'm just saying that I'd like to have the challenge Itoi intended. If I can take ZUN's challenges, I can attempt to take Itoi's.

On second thought I might install it but only if I decide that, yeah, this is getting too damn annoying.
Managed to do similar once before even leaving Onett for the first time. Took forever to make money by selling pizza boxes alone. :getdown:

And having played Mother 1 completely without the Easy Patch, I can definitely understand that. It's just that the grinding got extremely annoying especially around Mt. Itoi.

A tip to make the end a bit easier:
Spoiler:
Get a bunch of flamethrowers from the thugs in the last city.
I second this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:48:20 PM by ロリ陽蜂 Vocal Absurdity »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #898 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
So I suddenly stumble across this patch that allows me to play Oni on Windows Vista/7. It wasn't compatible but this patch changes that. The game is one of my childhood favorites and it's still awesome.

Relatively obscure i think. Anyway, it's awesome so i've been playing it nonestop for like 4 hours now and I'm about to go continue!  :D

Formless God

« Reply #899 on: July 02, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
- I've been pretty into DJ Max Portable 2 lately. The sheer euphoria of comboing a huge chunk of a song/an entire song, man.
- Rockman & Forte. This one hasn't changed at all since I last played it several years back. Masterpiece.