Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222917 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #840 on: June 14, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »
I think she's just bugged out at her lack of "Conserve SP," "Knock Down," and "Full Assault."
I have them, and she's all "that would be SO USEFUL."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #841 on: June 14, 2012, 04:01:26 AM »
Figuring out Gungnir.  The Beat system is still really weird (although holy crap random poison from a thorn whip on the boss is awesome), and the fact that you actually need to move to build up tactics points runs counter to what you'd do in any other SRPG, where you wouldn't move so your next turn would come faster.  Still need to mess around with Boosts, and definitely need more people who can knockback or inflict status ailments.

tl;dr friggin' Sting games you are so deep and fun but why do you not actually explain ANYTHING PROPERLY

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #842 on: June 14, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
FF IV DS.

I got this soon after it came out, but I stopped playing it due to other games. I'm going to actually try to beat this version now.

I started a new file since I didn't really remember where I was at in te game, and I felt like it anyway. I'm after Octomammoth and about to go to the cave with the Antlion. I got the perfect score on Rydia's minigame 3 times, so her special DS version exclusive summon has 99 Int now. 99 Int Thunders are quite effective on OctoMammoth. I just wish I hadn't set Blizzard on it though since that reduced the damage I was capable of doing with the summon. Still, it chose the 700+ damage thunders more often than the Blizzards. I'll probably go back and switch Thunder off of it since I think I remember Antlion being weak to ice.

Obviously since I'm not far in on this run, I haven't run into anything too bad. I do know it'll get worse, but I'm used to BS deaths from all the SMT, and I know this version of FF4 has its share of BS death potential.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #843 on: June 14, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »
If you haven't played FFIV DS, but HAVE played the original FFIV, read this:
Spoiler:
Do, in fact, throw abilities onto the characters who won't be in your party come endgame - specifically, throw up to two (no more than two!) abilities on them, and a bit after they leave the party, you'll be given new abilities from them that are generally superior.  Off the top of my head, if you're curious...
Spoiler:
Tellah gives a Half MP and fastcasting ability, I think?  Rydia will love those lategame.  Edward gives improvements to your items (such as the ability to use them on the whole party at once), which is great for most of the game... and I think Palom and Porom, if there's three abilities between them or something, pass on Twin Magic?  Or something like that.  Either way they're really useful.  I forget though, you'd have to doublecheck most of these

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #844 on: June 15, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
Yeah, I've had to keep a guide up so I don't miss stuff like that. I've only really got Tellah's abilities so far for doing that, it's a tad unfortunate. Still, Fast Talk is pretty radical, though.

Gotta continue where I left off. I got pushed back in my run a few hours due to asshattery and neglecting to save.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #845 on: June 15, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Just finished (sorta) Batman: Arkham City. HOLY CRAP OMGLOLWTFBBQ that ending's gonna screw with the canon somewhere. I still need to complete half of the Riddler challenges to free the remaining hostages. I'm not 100% keen on finding so many trophies simply in order to progress, but the little mental challenges promote a lot of experimentation and problem solving in tiny little doses. Outside of that, the game itself is 15-20 hours of Batman awesomeness, so it was well worth it.

Okay. Set for Dragon Age Origins at last. Will be playing a support mage with some offensive spells just so I'm not spamming a bunch of useless spells during downtime. Will probly make use of a tank, two-handed/dual wielder for extra melee damage, and an archer as I hear that mages can be game-breaking. As per my typical MO, I will play up the Neutral Good crazy person who thinks that he and his friends are participating in a long, protracted, worldwide pillowfight against the darkspawn and that when you hit them with the pillows they spray raspberry jam everywhere.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #846 on: June 16, 2012, 09:01:18 PM »
Just finished Neptunia mk2. Vast improvement over the first game and the most fun I've had with an RPG since Soul Nomad. The setting / cast were great once again, if noticeably more serious than in the previous one. The combat system was in a completely different galaxy this time and was the main reason I enjoyed the game so much.

Also lol at the unintentional Platinum. That's my first plat and probably my last.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #847 on: June 19, 2012, 04:54:54 AM »
Returning to Nocturne, navigating the annoying Yoyogi Park Construction Site, and the more annoying Second Kalpa of the Labyrinth of Amala.
The Second Kalpa was fun until HAHAHA MUDOON

I shelled out the 45,000 Macca for the lesser Physical Magatama from the Collector, found little use in it so far. Is the other and Sophia worth it?

...I'm currently level fifty. Is that overleveled?

Also, Persona 3.
I'm at about the eightieth floor, Yabbashah block, but I feel like I'm burning myself out on this, because no dog, no Shinjiro, minimal Strega story, etc etc etc.
It seems like that yawning void that the quality of Persona 4 falls into at around Lv. 40 is at about 20 to 30 in this game.

I tried playing The Answer, but Yukari felt it a better idea to continually Diarama herself and her balls-for-HP than to use Media, because apparently her having 40 HP is that much worse than everyone else having 60 HP all at the same time.

But I digress.

Someone give me a date. When does P3 pick up again?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #848 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
...I'm currently level fifty. Is that overleveled?
So long as you are gaining the skills from your magatama when leveling up, there is no such thing as overleveled in that game. I've played played numerous RPGs in my time and waded through some real jerk moves in the past to reach the ending. SMT: Nocturne pulls some super jerk moves the farther you get in the main game, Amala, and the main game because you've been going into Amalama. I've given up on the game twice in the late game and that's an unprecedented feat.

Then again, some of that was just tedium. I may very well permanently drop Genius of Sappheiros simply because it's late game time and dungeons are taking hours to wade through with little progress due to the gimmicks tied into them and the respawn rate. Take things with a grain of salt, but the game will pull a couple of real jerk moves at times. Screw you, Trumpeter.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #849 on: June 19, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »
I only ask because it seems like the only threat anything in the game poses as of now would be instant-death skills and Setanta who use their Dragon Eye skill nearly exclusively to use the move Guillotine on my character :3

Also considering upgrading my party at some point... got Lv 47 Jinn and Dionysus, as well as 45 Kushinada for a healer...
I had Mediarama for my MC, but dropped it in favor of Diarahan. Whoops >_>;

« Reply #850 on: June 19, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Taking a break from Final Fantasy XIII mandatory-battles-only challenge (turns out the game is a lot more enjoyable to play when you aren't fighting all them enemies. I was under the impression that the bosses would be impossible if i didn't have the CP from all the monsters but eh... apparently that's not the case.)

Instead playing some more Deus Ex: HR - trying to make a No-anything challenge run out of it. That is, no augs, no-killing and no takedowns. Of course on Hard difficulty. Not that it matters much outside of bosses since I'm requiring Ghost+Smooth Operator. So far I've made it past the 2nd boss who was indeed quite a pain until i tried the Heavy Machine Gun.

My strategy? Whenever she charges at me, i throw down a EMP Mine in front of me, then she runs into it causing it to explode. Then I throw her a frag grenade and plug out my Heavy Machine Gun and gives her a full salvo at point blank range. Then I just kept repeating this process until i won.

In any case, I'd recommend this challenge to anyone. It's fun and it's pretty badass how many ways you can go about doing stuff. You can use crates to get to places you shouldn't be able to and all mandatory doors are Lv.1. Lovely.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #851 on: June 19, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Still playing Digimon Masters.  Apparently Tewi takes after her namesake.  After blowing a lot of money enchanting her Attack to Lv12 and her Evasion to Lv9, I was pretty much broke.  And needed some chipsets.  I decided to go kill some SkullMeramon for some Lv5 Monster Cards to sell.  A little while in, one of them drops something I've never seen before: an NSo Egg.  I didn't know what it was so I popped it open and found an NSo Chipset.  For those who don't know, Lopmon's default Mega is Cherubimon (Evil) who belongs in the NSo family.  So I found a chipset I needed completely by accident.  And by the time I was finished I had 4.  I equipped HP and Defense chipsets.  So now Tewi is really hard to hit and when they do it doesn't hurt.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #852 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:23 AM »
I recently got over my HDTV's input lag and got back into my Wii Virtual Console library.

I've been playing most of them sparingly but here's what I tend to play.

NES
The Adventures of Lolo
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man I-IV
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)

SMS
Fantasy Zone
Phantasy Star

TG-16
Gradius II: GOFER no Yabou
Ys Book I and II

SNES
Super Castlevania IV (Since I call it Castlevania IV, I put it in the C area)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

NeoGeo
Magician Lord

N64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story

Oh god help me three of those are shmups
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #853 on: June 20, 2012, 12:53:59 AM »
Wayyy too much. Right now I'm busy with Mass Effect 3 (what an awesome game!) and I got a couple ordered which are waiting to be finished right after ME3: Mass Effect 1 & 2, Asura's Wrath, Dark Souls and Max Payne 3.

Banjo-Tooie and Super Paper Mario are waiting for completion as well. I ought to do those first since I'm halfway through in BT already and got the first two chapters in SPM done too. Then again those can wait too as I have beaten them before already, I just felt like randomly playing those again after so long~.

I should get my priorities straight. xD

Quote from: Zengeku
Instead playing some more Deus Ex: HR - trying to make a No-anything challenge run out of it. That is, no augs, no-killing and no takedowns. Of course on Hard difficulty. Not that it matters much outside of bosses since I'm requiring Ghost+Smooth Operator. So far I've made it past the 2nd boss who was indeed quite a pain until i tried the Heavy Machine Gun.

My strategy? Whenever she charges at me, i throw down a EMP Mine in front of me, then she runs into it causing it to explode. Then I throw her a frag grenade and plug out my Heavy Machine Gun and gives her a full salvo at point blank range. Then I just kept repeating this process until i won.

In any case, I'd recommend this challenge to anyone. It's fun and it's pretty badass how many ways you can go about doing stuff. You can use crates to get to places you shouldn't be able to and all mandatory doors are Lv.1. Lovely.
When I was going for the trophies for the lulz, I stacked a few and did the Hard Mode, Pacifist (which includes no Takedown since Takedowns have a tendency to kill off enemies due to a bug) and no Detection cheevos in the same run. Needless to say it was quite fun, promoting a lot of experimentation trying things one probably wouldn't think of initially. After beating it four times the fun's gone though, haha. Good luck with that run!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:58:44 AM by Buu »

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #854 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:54 AM »
Wait way too much for me?

Enjoy.

« Reply #855 on: June 20, 2012, 12:57:34 AM »
Nah, I meant myself. I have a tendency of stacking games and starting a new one when I'm still in the middle of another one. :D

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #856 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »
YESSSSS.

Got my little sister to pick up Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.
Her reaction?

It's not as hard as you make it look!

:fail:

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #857 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
Since there's no general Video Game Rage thread, let me say this here

I had 999 rupees in A Link to the Past when I walked up to a thief and talked to him (didn't remember what he would do.)

HE GAVE ME 300 RUPEES.

Four chests.

Red rupee, FUCK.
Red rupee, FUCK!
Red rupee, GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!
Red rupee, SON OF A BITCH!

Enjoy.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #858 on: June 20, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »
Why don't you make one?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #859 on: June 20, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
Why don't you make one?

I don't think it would go over that well but okay I will :D

Enjoy.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »
why am i playing DMO (digimon masters online)

why have i lost such control of my life I've been playing it for a FEW WEEKS

AAAA ;w;

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #861 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:16 AM »
Taking a break from Final Fantasy XIII mandatory-battles-only challenge (turns out the game is a lot more enjoyable to play when you aren't fighting all them enemies. I was under the impression that the bosses would be impossible if i didn't have the CP from all the monsters but eh... apparently that's not the case.)
It's amazing how much more interesting it makes the game, isn't it?

Pokemon Conquest came out yesterday, so I figured that while I wait for my copy of it to arrive (And for the JP release of BW2), I will finish up other spinoffs - meaning Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky.  ...Kinda forgot how great this game is!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #862 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
I feel like I'm missing something in FF4 DS because I'm
Spoiler:
on the Moon
and suddenly enemies are kicking my ass when they weren't before. I can hardly survive regular battles now without Cecil getting KO'd
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #863 on: June 20, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »
It's amazing how much more interesting it makes the game, isn't it?

Indeed. It even means I get to appreciate the story more since I'm getting more exposure to that than to corridor cleaning.  :D

When I was going for the trophies for the lulz, I stacked a few and did the Hard Mode, Pacifist (which includes no Takedown since Takedowns have a tendency to kill off enemies due to a bug) and no Detection cheevos in the same run. Needless to say it was quite fun, promoting a lot of experimentation trying things one probably wouldn't think of initially. After beating it four times the fun's gone though, haha. Good luck with that run!

I didn't know about that bug. Though, you can always see whether your enemies are knocked out or not so I guess you're safe? Not that it matters for me, I've already been through a Pacifist, Hard Mode, No Alerts run. Same as you. It is hilarious how easily people die in the game though. I tried throwing a wooden box at a knocked out civilian and that somehow killed him. Then some other time, I hid some gangsters body in the sewers with his face down (he was a bad guy so it's okay). Why didn't he drown? Weird stuff.

But yeah uhh, still enjoying using the environment rather than augs to get around. I just used a fire extinguisher as a stepping stone to enter a place that would either require Lv.4 hacking or enhanced Jumping to get into! It's so awesome how you are just completely at liberty  in that respect. Find crates to stack and get everywhere!

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #864 on: June 20, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »
About 4 hours into Pokemon Conquest. To me it feels like a FFT-lite with Pokemon. :S
I really want to love it but it just doesn't seem to be happening. I mean a Pokemon SRPG is cool and all but I can't really think of any reasons to play this instead of some other game.

Pros:
-Pretty cool character designs, nice new Pokemon art
-Pokemon SRPG :>

Cons:
-Menus feel kind of sluggish
-Mandatory battle animations, and a kinda slow text speed
-Little to no character customization(Each pokemon only gets one move, though when it evolves sometimes the move changes)

Nitpicking:
-Can't change battle formation before a battle
-No elevation display or attack elevation ranges

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #865 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
I feel like I'm missing something in FF4 DS because I'm
Spoiler:
on the Moon
and suddenly enemies are kicking my ass when they weren't before. I can hardly survive regular battles now without Cecil getting KO'd

the difference between earth enemies and moon enemies is like fifteen levels
the standard reaction is to grind on those amoeba-like enemies for a minimum of 90 minutes <3

UsadaLettuce

• 8|
  • Heroic Lily
    • Roger Rabbit!
« Reply #866 on: June 23, 2012, 04:00:31 AM »
Pokemon Black 2 DS

Screw IV/EV training, let's go for the old no-brainer, all brawl battle system!

Rak

« Reply #867 on: June 23, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
Right now I'm just playing through the Metal Gear Solid series and Dark Souls  :V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #868 on: June 23, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
TODAY IS THE DAY

I'M GOING TO MAKE IT TO FLOOR 6 IN SlashEM

AND THEN PROBABLY DIE IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #869 on: June 23, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
Just got the Gods & Kings expansion for Civ V and played a bit of single-player. Adds quite a bit that the stock game lacks - glad to see espionage and religion back again, and adapted for the Civ V system. New units are nice too.

Though caravels were nerfed quite hard :\
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_