Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222935 times)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:27 AM »
I'm not quite sure whether or not my ability to do some songs on Rhythm Heaven Fever while browsing the 'net at the same time is because I get the rhythm, or I've gotten too used to the patterns.

Also, for being hard as fuck, Ultimate and Hell Survival have sure gotten easier (or less cheaty) now that I've gotten Abyss difficulty unlocked. Also, I know you want me to lose certain battles, but that's no reason why you have to drop me to level 0, or raise the enemy to level 99, or have the enemy throw out three skill cards before the battle starts, or more than one of those at the same time.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:10 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand yet again I find myself playing through Freespace

why is this game SO GOOD

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Formless God

« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
Playing Soul Calibur V. Even though the game looks bare to the bone, I'm really liking the new styles and the faster pace.
Also, the CaS system is stellar. (people on Nico have made, like, half of the Touhou cast ?) Some limitations felt unnecessary and most of the parts are unusable, but it's a huge step up from IV.

Total Play Time: 31:09:00
Play Time: Creation: 12:19:30
:ohdear:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:54:44 AM by Anarchy Formless »

« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Just finished Wii's Little King Story, which is one of the best games the console has to offer.  Amazing music (remixed classical greats), funny tongue-in-cheek story, charming world to explore, memorable boss fights; unfortunately the ending wrap-up fell a little flat, and the pacing isn't very even.  Still, highly recommend it.

Will be getting back into Days of Ruin soon, gauging by progress and frustration with Dual Strike's hard mode.

« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
Oh my god, kill me someone.

You see the thing is, I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII. Because me and my friend had nothing else to do and I had no better alternative unfortunately. It's not all bad. I have quite the history with the game. It's no secret that this game sucks big time but there are still a few things that I find hilariously dumb about it. The junctioning system for one. You pretty much just overpower the fuck out of yourself with almost no effort or grinding.

Then there are the limit breaks. What the fuck? Squall is already an OP character because of his auto-crit gunblade but getting beaten up hard enough triggers his nerd rage allowing me to hit enemies multiple time for massive damage. and it can be spammed. so stupid!

And the plot... let's not go there. fuck, it's bad.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Dark Souls - BK Sword is awesome.  I basically owned the Bell Gargoyles in record time with that weapon.

Best part of this?  I have 4 Twinkling Titanites I can shove into it to boost its power even further ;D.

Probably gonna deal with the annoying ass Capra Demon fight today.  Maybe the even more annoying Stray Demon fight too (Explosions with BS hitboxes suck).
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Deviox

• Game on gamers, game on
« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
Well, I've been playing a lot of Gunstar Heroes as of late, and now that I'm in the DotA 2 beta, I plan to be playing a lot of that.  Oh yeah, and a healthy amount of monster hunter tri somewhere in there...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
frustration with Dual Strike's hard mode.
how is that even possible

Dual Strike's hard mode is the easiest campaign in the series (I honestly find it easier than the Normal Campaign)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
final fantasy 99 - yes, it exists.

it is a romhack of Dragon Quest 3 NES (J)! Almost all the overworld sprites are changed, and pretty much the game got a huge overhaul. Even the dialogue's been changed at parts (though the puff-puff scene at Ashalam/Toleno is still the same, slightly?). I think that it's pretty interesting how the maker handled the new classes.

LV13 Knight - Marisa
LV15 Dragoon - Flan
LV14 White Mage - Alice
LV14 Black Mage - Patchu
Currently: The Pyramids, past Isis Val

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #549 on: March 26, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution up ins. It's fantastic. The entire spectacle was well worth every penny. Maybe it won't turn out to be as large as the original, but I've already put 20 hours into it, which is a lot more than I've put into similar games. Experimentation and subtlety has been a huge part of the experience.

I also have the Missing Link DLC, but after traipsing through a media conglomerate's building, I still have no idea where it goes or even if it's supposed to be played separately.
Oh my god, kill me someone.

You see the thing is, I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII.
And the plot... let's not go there. fuck, it's bad.
Play it to break it wide open. The extra boss fights are where it's at.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Sality

« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
Just re-finished Digimon World in PSX.
That just reminds me of how much I like the concept of raising your Digimon via training and care, just like tamagotchi. The plot ain't bad either, it's not too complex and deep, yet still enjoyable for every layer of gamers. My only complain is aimed toward the reincarnation system, it's such a hassle to start from an absolute zero again, although I do understand that it cannot be helped, given how similar the mechanic is to Tamagotchi's.

Overall, I really enjoy this game, at least more than the next installment.

« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
I also have the Missing Link DLC, but after traipsing through a media conglomerate's building, I still have no idea where it goes or even if it's supposed to be played separately.

It's supposed to be played seperately yeah. Around the time
Spoiler:
you jump into that pod thing.

Play it to break it wide open. The extra boss fights are where it's at.

As long as you don't break it too hard. Playing the card game (which sucks) will just make the already insultingly easy game even easier. What was it, that Laguna card could turn into 100 Mega Elixirs? And the Gilgamesh card granting you 10 of those things that make your entire party invincible. And I'm guessing that if you do that at low-health and let Squall spam Lionheart, then everything becomes trivial. And what's up with Selphie having a spell that just let's you win any fight. Even Omega.

Come to think of it, this game didn't even have that many extra bosses did it?

Zil

« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
Dual Strike Hard Mode being easier than Normal Mode? Do you mean becuase you can use whatever CO you want? In that case I undestand, but on their own the maps are definately harder... usually. A few do get easier now that I think about it.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #553 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:22 AM »
Just re-finished Digimon World in PSX.
That just reminds me of how much I like the concept of raising your Digimon via training and care, just like tamagotchi. The plot ain't bad either, it's not too complex and deep, yet still enjoyable for every layer of gamers. My only complain is aimed toward the reincarnation system, it's such a hassle to start from an absolute zero again, although I do understand that it cannot be helped, given how similar the mechanic is to Tamagotchi's.

Overall, I really enjoy this game, at least more than the next installment.

Yea, World 1 is my favorite.  Dusk/Dawn is in a close second.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution up ins. It's fantastic. The entire spectacle was well worth every penny. Maybe it won't turn out to be as large as the original, but I've already put 20 hours into it, which is a lot more than I've put into similar games. Experimentation and subtlety has been a huge part of the experience.
Definitely is shorter than the original, but it's a solid game (aside from the boss fights; fortunately the devs apologized many times and fixed that in Missing Link).

The DLC happens between the
Spoiler:
explosion at Hengsha docks
and
Spoiler:
when you get out of the pod in Singapore
. When you get to the latter, start playing ML.

It's definitely one of the better DLC additions I've played in any game. It has more of the classic DX feel than the main game, I think.

Lastly, if you think DX:HR is too easy (eg. getting every aug by the end of the game on 'Give me Deus Ex' difficulty), consider adding the Difficulty Mod. (sadly it doesn't work in Missing Link IIRC)
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Ys: The Oath in Felghana recently got a PC port, so I've been playing it. I never actually played a Ys game until now, but I'd always heard the music was good. Well, the music IS good. Combat's fun, and the bosses are all incredibly enjoyable. I figure my tone will change whenever I get around to unlocking Nightmare or Inferno mode.

As an indicator of the game's overall difficulty, I will say a few things: The most common achievement (at 38.8%) is one for dying over 10 times to the same boss. 0% have cleared the game on Inferno,  0.1% have cleared the game on Nightmare.
Also, ZOMBIE MAIDS.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:13 AM »
Ys: The Oath in Felghana recently got a PC port, so I've been playing it. I never actually played a Ys game until now, but I'd always heard the music was good. Well, the music IS good. Combat's fun, and the bosses are all incredibly enjoyable. I figure my tone will change whenever I get around to unlocking Nightmare or Inferno mode.

As an indicator of the game's overall difficulty, I will say a few things: The most common achievement (at 38.8%) is one for dying over 10 times to the same boss. 0% have cleared the game on Inferno,  0.1% have cleared the game on Nightmare.
Also, ZOMBIE MAIDS.
I've been considering picking it up.  I've heard from Y''s fans that the remake of 3 is actually the best in the series; but my previous experience with 3 was the SNES port of the original.  Which was... well, the original Y''s III is kind of despised as the worst in the series.  And I can see why.

That and I generally find Falcom games kind of overhyped but I guess I'll try it out when I have the money, because Warriors Orochi 3 cost me a good chunk of money but oh my god is it ever fun.  I did not expect guest characters but oh man oh man oh man

In other news I have found myself beginning a No Upgrades Ever challenge of Mega Man Star Force 2.  Which... is not a game you're supposed to play without upgrades so we'll have to see how far I can get before I discover the impossible hurdle (Already completed the challenge for SF3, the limit was Jack Corvus v2, like right at the end of the final dungeon augh, because of one attack when he's below half health that cannot be dealt with).  The lack of Galactic Advances will probably make it much harder, though it's not like SF3 was easy by any stretch @_@
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:56:41 AM by Garlyle »

« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
It would more clear to say at the rate of progress in DS's Hard Mode, I'll have finished it and will be playing Days of Ruin again.
Hard mode is doesn't live up to it's predecessor's hard modes, but it is by no means the Curbstomp of Black Hole Normal Mode is.
Careful considerations and a restart or two is to be expected.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »
As long as you don't break it too hard. Playing the card game (which sucks) will just make the already insultingly easy game even easier. What was it, that Laguna card could turn into 100 Mega Elixirs? And the Gilgamesh card granting you 10 of those things that make your entire party invincible. And I'm guessing that if you do that at low-health and let Squall spam Lionheart, then everything becomes trivial. And what's up with Selphie having a spell that just let's you win any fight. Even Omega.

Come to think of it, this game didn't even have that many extra bosses did it?
Yeah, if you use all the tools you're given as soon as you get the chance, you can really do some damage. That still depends on you voluntarily busting it wide open. As for extra bosses, there is actually a good number. Ultima, Omega, Master Tonberry, Odin, Bahamut, and others I can't really think of off the top of my head. The Omega fight is genuinely a challenge and you'll have to be on your toes the whole time. The others are fun to beat and acquiring the extra summons are really what will help break the game. It requires nearly all the GF's to make sure all your party members can junction to the majority of their stats.
Definitely is shorter than the original, but it's a solid game (aside from the boss fights; fortunately the devs apologized many times and fixed that in Missing Link).
The DLC happens between the
Spoiler:
explosion at Hengsha docks
and
Spoiler:
when you get out of the pod in Singapore
. When you get to the latter, start playing ML.

It's definitely one of the better DLC additions I've played in any game. It has more of the classic DX feel than the main game, I think.
So long as I know where it goes! I just don't want to play through things without ever having played something I was meant to.
Lastly, if you think DX:HR is too easy (eg. getting every aug by the end of the game on 'Give me Deus Ex' difficulty), consider adding the Difficulty Mod. (sadly it doesn't work in Missing Link IIRC)
Sorta? I only think it would be more difficult if the enemy patrol patterns covered more ground, and there's already been a few tight spots where I've really had to luck out in order to get by. I'd rather not find 20 spots over the course of the game where I have to reload more than a dozen times just to get through.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:23:28 PM by Ziodyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Sality

« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Yea, World 1 is my favorite.  Dusk/Dawn is in a close second.

Ah, I just heard about that one. How good is it, story-wise, characters-wise, mechanic-wise ? Please compare it with the first three Digimon games in PSX since I never play any PS2 ones.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:13:20 PM by W32.Sality »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Finally got around to picking up Dragon Quest IX again, after literally six months of hiatus.

And suddenly we don't know how to play!
Aaaah~

It took a little bit of level grinding to beat Lleviathan (up to Lv. 19) and now I'm wandering around trying to find some place called Zere Rocks. Or something.

theshirn

« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

Also, ZOMBIE MAIDS.
I picked up Oath in Felghana for the PSP and played a bit.  I have almost never been that bored. :(  Guess it's not for everyone, but I found virtually nothing fun in it.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Avan Nozomi

• Look, it's a Rawrgna!
  • 何が遠い旅行ですか?
« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Anybody have any recommendations for a RPG? I've kind of been in a lull in that genre for a while and I want to pick something up again.

Requirements:
>Must be T or lower rated
>Either for DS, PSP, Wii, or PS3

Sorry if I'm missing a topic or anything... Thanks. :3
I can see the glory cause I wipe my tears
All part of the same thing be signed
I really want to feel delight
Even if I live in dying dreams
-Truly Glory, by FELT

Zil

« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Anybody have any recommendations for a RPG? I've kind of been in a lull in that genre for a while and I want to pick something up again.
I'd say Earthbound, but I'm not sure if you can get that on the Wii. There's always FFV if you somehow haven't played that yet.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
Ah, I just heard about that one. How good is it, story-wise, characters-wise, mechanic-wise ? Please compare it with the first three Digimon games in PSX since I never play any PS2 ones.

The story is alright.  Character wise is where it stands out.  It has the largest selection of mons.  You can build a team of your favorites pretty easily.  And mechanic wise, it's very breakable.  When you digivolve they go back to level one, but they have better stats and they catch up to where they were pretty fast and become that much stronger.  And once you get rebirth and can take them back to In-Training it gets that much easier to get high stats.  But after a while the boss fights anticipate this and become harder, but nothing on MegaTen scale, but you still might have to grind or take a lot of items just in case for a couple of bosses.

And I'd say it's mostly like World 3.  You have your party following behind you on the world map, but in combat you can use all three of them instead of just the first.  The Digivolution mechanic is sort of the same as in World 3 too.  You get evolutions based on level, stats, and elemental affinities.

All in all it's a fun game for a Digimon fan.  The only flaws is that it uses random encounters and it's set really high and the combat can get repetitive.  And since it's two versions, you might have to go out of your way if one of your favorites isn't in your game.  And like I said the grinding can get a little tedious.  Especially if you want a specific moveset on something, you'd have to rebirth and digivolve a lot of times.

theshirn

« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »

Requirements:
>Must be T or lower rated
>Either for DS, PSP, Wii, or PS3

Sorry if I'm missing a topic or anything... Thanks. :3
Might want to just make a thread of your own for this.

That said: TWEWY.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

Also, ZOMBIE MAIDS.

Saw someone demo this recently and I felt the urge to immediately buy it. Which does not happen often for me at all.
Loved every second of it. Fast paced challenging action with amazing music.

Sality

« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:59 AM »

Ohh, it sounds fun. I do hope it's nowhere close to Digimon World 2, especially in the leveling system or dungeon-oriented gameplay. Though  you said that we use the whole team instead of just the first in combat, is it just like Digimon World 2's ? If so, then how fast is the pace ? You see, even though I like Digimon World 3, I still hate the battle sequence for being slow.

Maybe I need to re-play Digimon World 3 later as well, good ol' frame skip button in emulator shall help me.

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
I'd say Earthbound, but I'm not sure if you can get that on the Wii.

EB isn't on the VC yet, but I recommend its sequel, Mother 3, more if you somehow possess a copy of it and decide that you want to play a GBA RPG instead.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
Dark Souls - Blighttown, oh god Blighttown.  After spending nearly my entire day getting summoned for Gaping Dragon runs, I ended up attempting this sucker of a place.  I had 5 Rings of Sacrifice I bought just for this place until I could reach a bonfire, arming myself with a new one everytime I died.

...I had one left when I reached one about halfway down.  Most of the time I just fell to my doom basically xD.

Next bonfire I reached wasn't quite as bad to reach, but still...damn near everything and their offspring being able to induce poison was evil.  So were the dart throwers who could induce toxin in like 2-3 hits max.

As for the boss, it was honestly the easiest thing about this stage, even if I did have two extra people with me because I thought those mini leeches inside Quelaag's Domain were gonna cause me hell (Yeah I died to them, go me).  Turns out I wasn't supposed to kill the enemies with giant ass growths on their backs cause that's where the mini leeches came from.  Oops.

Anyways, the boss didn't really have anything going for it that was super overly dangerous.  The lava vomit attack was easily dodged, then the strategy was to basically stay as close to her as possible.  The only attack everyone had to back off here for was the one where she rears up and hits the ground hard.  AoE attack essentially.  Even then, the one time I got hit by it didn't utterly wreck my HP bar, maybe 1/3rd of it, if that.  Easily remedied with a quickie Estus Flask.

Second bell rung, new area opened up.  Still have like one area to go explore in Blighttown.  Fan-freaking-tastic D:.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4