Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222940 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:46 AM »
Finished The Answer last night, and with that Persona 3 in general.

Spoiler:
That story kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like they undid all the lessons Aigis learned and expressed in the tear-jerking ending of The Journey in order to teach it to her again in The Answer with more heavy-handedness. It was nice to get some resolution on what happened after Minato died, but it was unnecessary through and through.

The gameplay though? Mmwah! <3
Spoiler:
Erebus
was every kind of fun an Atlus final boss should be.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »
Oh my stars, Mario Kart 7 is a tonne of fun.  The new powerups (and modified old ones) are great, the tracks are great, the online's better than MKDS and MKWii... you get the idea.  Oh, and the hanggliding sections are reminiscient of going airborne in F-Zero GX, complete with potential shortcuts and stuff and it's GREAT.

So much fun.  Also it has
Spoiler:
Probably the best new Rainbow Road in the series, as each lap is actually completely different from the last.  Also, it also comes with SNES Rainbow Road!

Also, Professor Layton 4.  Looking forward to it :3

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:16 AM »
Welp, just finished Bastion.  That was an extremely good game.

Now to hack through Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World so I can read Rou's LP

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »

Now to hack through Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World so I can read Rou's LP
You could always play CStW with dev commentary on and read Rou's LP alongside it too.  It's like two LPs in one!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »
Just finished Portal 2 and WHAT an ending it was. I really enjoyed how much more variety was put into this one, and the writing made the entire experience enjoyable from beginning to end. I still have Broderlands as my active project (friend availability permitting) with GoS on off-days, but I've wanted to check out Ba-

Hey! I'm just starting! I've only gotten through the first two areas, though I'll be
Spoiler:
restarting because on no fewer than two occasions did I crush a 'statue' of a person who I theorizing can be revived over the course of the game. I kinda flubbed about while getting used to the controls in the first place, so I don't mind a restart.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Sality

« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF should've put the Ch. number in spoilers
Ouchie, my bad :ohdear:

At first glance the story is just another haunted school type. Hell, it isn't terribly new and original, but the storytelling managed to be extremely convincing and interesting. Take a common setting and make something special out of it, heh, I like that.
Take all of my munny.
To be honest, I didn't expect sounds like cracked floor, squeak, or breeze would scare me; heck, I am already get used with Silent Hill-tier sirens, yet I still find this game (more) terrifying just by the sound effects. I like the Seiyuus, especially Ayumi's;
Spoiler:
for some obvious reasons, she holds the highest record for being possessed, and Asami Imai succeed in showing the emotion into the extent that we are also terrified whenever Ayumi is possessed.  (hell yeah chapter 2, guddamn mirror in the lavatory)

In term of graphic, Corpse Party is very lacking.
In term of gameplay, Corpse Party is not really fun.
In term of premise, Corpse Party is not really original.
Still, the development (either it's about character or story) is great, although there are some who didn't get enough spotlight due to being additional characters, but the more you advance, the more you want to play more, just for its story's twists despite of the scariness.

There are a lot of things happened in chapter 5. So, good luck :3

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »
I did a bad thing.  I put Back to Nature in to see what it was like and now I'm playing that as my main game.  Gonna marry the witch.  Since her heart is hidden I have to eye ball it and visit her every day I think I can trigger an event.  Not that it matters, I'd harass the witch everyday anyways.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
Oh boy oh boy

The 3DS' Ambassador Program GBA games have been released!  If you got your 3DS in time to sign up for the program, you get...
*Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
*F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
*Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
*The Legend of Zelda: Minnish Cap
*Mario Kart: Super Circuit
*Mario vs. Donkey Kong
*Metroid Fusion
*Wario Land 4
*Wario Wares Inc.: Mega Microgame$
*Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

That is pretty much a lineup of the BEST Nintendo-created games to have come out on the system.  Like, holy crap.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
So I finally got around to playing Fallout: New Vegas.
... And logged about 50 hours into it over roughly a week.
I skipped a lot of stuff on my legion and independent saves, but screw that. I did a lot of stuff on my NCR run so I'm happy with that.
Now I'm wondering if I should try getting the DLC for it, or play something else in my backlog.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #219 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
The new Rosenkreuzstilette ~F~ web trial. Has any Megaman-esque game ever had bosses this awesome before? I think my head exploded at the Zorne-Trauare double team, though that may just have been the BOMBS EVERYWHERE

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »

i might make an FE8 girls LP depending on if i can re-devise strategies for every single loving chapter in this ROM hack.

Or else I either do ChinaFE or FE7 if...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Why am I stuck playing FFXIII? This game is so horrible. :(

theshirn

« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
bahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

sorry, but

aaahahahahahahaaa

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
...Am I the only one who enjoys it?

I mean, I know it's incomplete and I'd never give it GOTY in anything except maybe visuals because dat frozen lake, but I don't think of it as a bad game at all.

« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »
Its got excellent graphics I'll give you that. Its just, the battle system. Enemies seem to made with a mindset of giving them hugenormous amounts of HP meaning that everyone of the extremely plentiful battles can easily take several minutes to beat. That is in itself not a problem if it wasn't because the battles were an exercise in how long you can mash the x button. Or the A button if you are playing xbox.

I like the idea of paradigm shift. Its a fun system actually but its not without its huge flaws. The gameplay is beyond repetitive and is so drawn out that it makes Stage 4 in Perfect Cherry Blossom look a manic shooter at incredibly high rank.

But of course, if you enjoy it then more power to you. I just have one request. Please tell me what you like best about it. I'm genuinely interested!

theshirn

« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
I like the idea of paradigm shift. Its a fun system actually but its not without its huge flaws. The gameplay is beyond repetitive and is so drawn out that it makes Stage 4 in Perfect Cherry Blossom look a manic shooter at incredibly high rank.
The problem with the Paradigm Shift is that they took the gambits from FFXII, which people thought was cool, because you can set up battles to run perfectly, and turned it into "You're just going to do the same thing every battle except for boss fights."  There isn't even a feel of choosing tactics and commands because your characters will just do things by default, and being able to set certain spells or orders is almost utterly meaningless outside of boss fights.  Bosses are the best case for the battle system, as it requires you to adapt, but even that just boils down to "switch to buff and heal, buff and heal, switch to all out offense, switch back to heal as necessary".  I mean, yes, virtually all boss fights in all JRPGs will come down to that, but compare FFXIII's pressing two buttons to, say, a SMT boss.

And there's little to no variety in how you approach a battle.  You can't try to bumrush a boss like you might in other games because they are meant to be drawn-out battles of attrition.  There's no conservation of resources because the only resource in battle is your hp.  You're essentially forced into playing the game the way it wants you to play it, with no room for funky or cheesy or clever tactics or anything else.

Which is a shame, because switching configurations during battle is pretty cool, and finding the right balance of abilities to have available (once the game actually gives you your whole party, which takes for-frickin-ever) is a nifty idea.  The execution, however...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2011, 02:00:15 AM »
I mean, yes, virtually all boss fights in all JRPGs will come down to that, but compare FFXIII's pressing two buttons to, say, a SMT boss.
See, the thing was, you could say that about the FF series in 98% of its boss fights.  Very rarely do FF games typically require strategy or particularly prompt attention except in the most edge cases; otherwise you can get away with spamming attack.  I mean, arguably, SMT boss fights come down to "spam buff/debuff and then just wail on it" as well, but generally this qualifies as acceptable levels of strategy for an RPG.

One of the reasons FFXII worked for people wasn't just because the gambits let you set things up to flow nicely; it was because the game was fast-paced enough that you couldn't really afford to spend all that time telling every ally exactly what to do for every action (Active on full speed is particularly challenging for this reason; setting up your Gambits incorrectly leads to you desperately trying to keep up with your party's mistakes).

For FFXIII, yes, arguably it is more barebones.  Mostly because it cut out a whole lot of redundancies, I find; but also because it needed to be.  Yeah, it sorta makes standard encounters feel somewhat boring - this was the same issue Gambits created in XII, was that a regular fight was pretty much on automatic and you didn't have to do much, and for most of XIII yeah, I'll admit, it feels the same.  But dem boss battles.  Yes, there's no way to cheese or zerg rush (most) of them, but I kind of like that.  You actually have to use the tools available to you, and dawdling on your decision making for even a second in many can be death, and that's honestly why I loved it.  The fact that, later on, more and more regular battles are potentially life threatening if you approach them the wrong way or overconfidently too is great to me.

Then again, I'm still riding high from the last time I did the game's final chapters.  And that might be blinding me to how monotonous getting through the earlier game can be, since pretty much every fight from
Spoiler:
Bartandalus at the end of Oerba
onwards in the game is a boss fight, even the seeming non-boss encounters, and it's one of the most active, fun, and difficult final stretches of an RPG in my memory.  Generally by the end of a game you're either so overpowered that you roflstomp everything or you're simply better of running from every encounter because they're all full of bullshit.  XIII had the rare endgame where I found neither to be the case and was where the game really shone, instead of dragging out the final area like most RPGs end up feeling ("oh god why the hell isn't this dungeon over yet I just want to be done")
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:07:14 AM by Garlyle »

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:56 AM »
ohohohohohohoho my CE of Rayman Origins finally arrived in the mail yesterday and I'm loving it like mad! Its really not as hard as I expected although my stupidity makes up for that so its all good.

OHHHHH THE GRAPHICS OHHHH GOD YES. 

« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
@Garlyle
I'll admit that the game started feeling like a game when you are done with the Gran Pulse section. Just too bad thats around 25 hours of nothing happening. Within the first 11 chapters there are only two challenging bosses.
Spoiler:
Cid and Bartandalus.

The latter wasn't really challenging though as I figured out how to defeat him on my first go. I had to try twice since the game doesn't allow you to set up new Paradigms in mid battle - a concept that doesn't add challenge, just trial n' error. The former was actually a hard boss yeah, pretty much the only truly challenging fight in the game.

Really, the boss fights were more challenging in FFV, FFIX (provided you wanna steal stuff) and FFX (provided you don't overgrind). Every FF game is basically breakable however FFXIII breaks itself without you even trying.

Another can of worms; This game has a fetich for extremely long and dragged out areas. You can spend around 45 minutes crossing some of these areas. These areas in their layout makes the levels of military shooter look open ended and they are completely without diversity. At least in the rest of the series you were traveling through more interestingly designed locations.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
I will concur with the "FFXIII felt more like a movie than a game" statement.

There were a bunch of challenging segments but really, FFXIII felt more like an exercise in extreme automation than actual gameplay...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
I will concur with the "FFXIII felt more like a movie than a game" statement.
Even as someone who loves FFXIII I have to agree with this. That's why I'm looking forward to XIII-2 which does at least fix the problem of linear world afaik, though I don't know if the battles have been improved as well. I know there's new systems (the employing monsters in battle stuff), but I dunno how that really changes the gameplay.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
Yeah, I'm not gonna disagree with XIII being linear as heck.  Or, more importantly, it's unashamedly linear until Gran Pulse and even then the progression through the optional material mostly still has to be done in a certain order anyway.  There's an argument that pretty much all RPGs are linear and for the most part it is true, but XIII decided to throw out any pretense that it wasn't.  I don't actually mind this but I can definitely understand it rubbing people the wrong way.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »
How... does one go about producing a non-linear JRPG?
Slap on twenty different endings that change depending on how one breathes?

For the actual topic title,

BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY CHALLENGE RUN NO. 3
? No dodging, ever
? Only upgrade Stache / Horn

Good fucking god treevils are kicking my ass so hard it isn't even funny
DIIIIIMBLE WOOOOOD

« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2011, 12:13:23 AM »
So having stopped playing Final Fantasy XIII, Mirrors Edge playing started in its stead. It appears that this game is more fun than I remember it. Cool and stylish first person platforming at its best. And loneliest. There need to be more games like this. Also, gotta dig them graphics. Who the hell pains a metro station purple? Them dudes at Dice probably have some really good pills lying around that I'd kill to get hold of.

Then goes Vampire Rain which was bought because it was supposed to be shitty but some people say that it isn't. Which sparks curiosity and all that. It turns out that the game is quite a lot about trial and error but its not necessarily a bad thing since that's basically the only way to make a stealth game truly difficult. I haven't seen it pulled off in any other way that was actually hard. Its no MGS or Splinter Cell but its truly not as bad as people says. It actually got surprisingly varied levels.

« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
Played through Cave Story + on Normal. I'm not really sure how to properly handle the final bosses, but I got through. But I must have missed something as it'd didn't let me go into the house at the end to save, so no Sacred Grounds. Also it didn't give me the option to save a clear data or anything and nothing unlocked.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »
Played through Cave Story + on Normal. I'm not really sure how to properly handle the final bosses, but I got through. But I must have missed something as it'd didn't let me go into the house at the end to save, so no Sacred Grounds. Also it didn't give me the option to save a clear data or anything and nothing unlocked.
there are several steps involved in getting to Sacred Grounds.  Off the top of my head...

Spoiler:
Make sure not to leave Curly behind to drown.
Get the Booster 2.0, NOT the 1.1 or whatever; basically, if you found a booster upgrade other than 2.0, pass over it and go without it.
I think you also have to wait to exchange your initial weapon until you can bring it back to the guy you stole it from in the first place, but that might not be a requirement.
THere... might be other things?  I forget.

theshirn

« Reply #236 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
there are several steps involved in getting to Sacred Grounds.  Off the top of my head...

Spoiler:
Make sure not to leave Curly behind to drown.
Get the Booster 2.0, NOT the 1.1 or whatever; basically, if you found a booster upgrade other than 2.0, pass over it and go without it.
I think you also have to wait to exchange your initial weapon until you can bring it back to the guy you stole it from in the first place, but that might not be a requirement.
THere... might be other things?  I forget.
Mostly wrong.

Spoiler:
The first step is skipping the Booster 0.8 when he drops down in front of you.  If you don't do that, you've already cut yourself off from the Sacred Grounds and from the harder Last Cave.
Second, you have to grab the Tow Rope before fighting the Core.  If you got the Booster 0.8, it will be chained down.  This is pretty much a plot hole, but it's to force the outcome of Curly drowning, :(
One you have Curly on your back, you have to go to the house in the Labyrinth, drop her off on the bed, check the bookcase, and then drain Curly, and then you have to take her with you after that.
Later, you need to go to the bottom right corner of the Plantation, where you'll find her without her memory.  Talk to the people there, and then go all the way back to the Mimiga Graveyard, and boost up to the door in the top right corner.
Here's one of the biggest headscratchers (though skipping the Booster is probably the most "how the crap would I have known that" - you have to talk to Ma Pignon there, who will give you the Mushroom Badge.  You then have to open up your inventory and examine it.  It will tell you it does nothing.  Then, you have to talk to Ma Pignon again, and then you fight it, and then you bring it back to Curly.  Once you've done that, you're good to go (unless you choose to keep the Mimiga Mask).

You do not have to get the Spur.  You can do it with any of the three weapons.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
Eh, I was in roughly the right direction.  It has been a very long time since I have beaten Cave Story.

In other news I still recommend the shit out of Mario Kart 7.  I'm at 1500 VR and climbing~

Formless God

« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2011, 01:39:02 AM »
So I went to a friend's house and got to try my hands at a few nogaem PS3 games.
- 4-player LBP2: Way too much laughs in this one.
- GoW3: Combat gets painfully boring after a while, but the QTE are cash.
- Mamoru-kun PSN demo: This is excellent. The lack of focus makes some sections a pain in the ass though.
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 2: Fun as hell, right up there with Prototype.

Also played a bit of MW3 and Crysis 2 but they were utterly bland and forgettable, bleh.

« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Playing Gears of War 3. What's to report? That Chapter 1-6 Insanity is untold levels of bullshit. Fuck insanity in this game relies on the cheapass bullshit card a lot. Gears 2 was a lot better.