Author Topic: [Art (ish)] Bunbunmaru Newspaper  (Read 4211 times)

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
[Art (ish)] Bunbunmaru Newspaper
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »
Wasn't sure where else to put this, so I stuck it here.

I'm creating a real life replica of Bunbunmaru Newspaper, to be printed on professional paper from my school's printing press. The issue is that I'm not sure what I should add, and what I should put onto the other pages, since only the first page is partially completed so far. As it is, I still need to make another picture and add a few more lines and fix some formatting, but what do you guys think?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: [Art (ish)] Bunbunmaru Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:22:27 AM »
Layout and shape is very important, it's what people subconsciously notice first. People are very likely to not bother with things that are subconsciously uninteresting to them. I have to say that I find this layout rather boring and unexciting, though I don't mean any offense. Perhaps try looking through actual newspapers and copy/reference their layouts, with special attention paid to negative space, what's emphasized, the leading of the eyes, etc.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »
Agreed, it's pretty bland. That being said, Japanese newspapers usually have terrible layout and are very text heavy.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Well, I searched for some Ayayaya.newspaper, and here's what I found: an official picture of the paper, seems official too (but I'm not sure), an English variant that looks good, and some "photos" supposedly from Aya herself.
Maybe others can give better comparison, but here's what I see: in the references, pictures take more of the space, helps that the paper itself is not as wide. And canon Bunbunmaru seems to be black-and-white.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »
I would also check out newspaper formats in Japan during the late 19th century - couldn't be too hard to find visual examples. I think that'd be a great model for your layout, in addition to the actual Bunbunmaru examples posted above.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »
I remember cuc talking about Japanese newspapers when discussing the HM translation, maybe they'll give you a little guide. Cut down to the relevant part:

Some samples of real life headline styles. Of course, how to handle the in-game newspapers are an entirely separate issue from the game's main UI fonts.

Asahi Shimbun Evening frontpage, reporting on the suicide of Yukio Mishima.

Frontpage of a tech news extra.

Those headline styles are seen in a serious newspaper; the tabloids are much louder. Here's a comparison between frontpages of Asahi Shimbun and Fuji Evening News, Japan's No.1 tabloid:

For sans serif fonts in newspaper headlines, a quick search gets me these 20th century American examples:

Probably there was another post about newspapers (maybe it had the word old/respectable/honorable/...) but i can't find it.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:12:13 AM »
I tried redesigning the Bunbunmaru as an English-language tabloid once. Tabloids love alliteration, right?

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:09:36 AM »
I remember making a small Bunbunmaru a while ago, it looked like this.

I tried taking the same structure as the few shots we have, but I had to concentrate them into two pages.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »
I still think color does not suit Bunbunmaru, if it's possible to say that.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.