Author Topic: Any general tips for non-touhou input lag in shmups?  (Read 2261 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Any general tips for non-touhou input lag in shmups?
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:51 AM »
So I recently got a shmup game on steam called Steredenn, it's cool and all but it has the mother of all input lag. I attempted to remedy this by going under my videocard setting and force-off for vertical sync, but that didn't help at all. Any shmup vets have general tips on how to solve input lag woes? The delay after pushing something is bad enough, but what really hurts is how you can't move tiny amounts because even after letting go of a key I tapped, my ship moves for a good half second, making precision movement impossible =(.

Also, if there is no solution software-wise for this, what exactly causes input lag to occur for some people and not others? Is it a keyboard compatibility thing? or is it a motherboard/CPU thing? Or is it really just a random thing that happens when everything is combined?

Re: Any general tips for non-touhou input lag in shmups?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »
Input lag has long been a GPU thing amusingly.
No even due to the GPU but rather to do with hotkeys.
Kill anything else that is reading your inputs.

Only other thing that should do it is 100%ing the CPU (or the core running the main thread)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Any general tips for non-touhou input lag in shmups?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »
Input lag has long been a GPU thing amusingly.
No even due to the GPU but rather to do with hotkeys.
Kill anything else that is reading your inputs.

Only other thing that should do it is 100%ing the CPU (or the core running the main thread)

I'm not using hotkeys but yeah maybe just the simple background app that may read them causes it.. hopefully.
As for 100%ing the cpu, I'm using windows 7 still.  I mean I know how to control alt delete, find the process, and adjust the priority to realtime, that isn't what you mean is it? or do you must mean to terminate other applications that might be eating resources, that wouldn't help because that's normally. Or did you mean there is a way to force the cpu to 'use' 100% I tried googling that and I can just find people mention the above.

thanks though! I DO have software for my keyboard that I ignore but I don't bother killing it, hopefully that will help =) Didn't think of it.