Author Topic: [Art] Gappy's Pointlessly Artistic Gap - Mind the gaping gap in my creativity~  (Read 51486 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
Gappy's Image Archive
Wallpaper gallery will be back up after minor edits.

So, seeing as the art threads have moved here to their new home, an actual serious art forum, I've decided to work harder with my art. I'm starting a new series of character portraits that will be put together into one big picture, or so I hope. While, yes, this first pic might seem like a very narcissist venture (it probably is ^^;; ), trust me, my first pics are usually the worst. Better later than sooner, in my case ^^;;

Also, as the image name suggests, it's a work-in-progress.

My plan is to draw Solais, UK, Slaves and E-mouse, then move on to other people later.

Name: N/A (technically nameless)
Nickname: Gap, Gappy, Sukima
Title: The Treasured Child Filled With Hope
Species: Embodiment/Anthromorphic Personification/Thingy
Power: Manipulation of the gap Between the real and the unreal
Role: Embodiment of Hope, Guardian of Dreams, Perseverance, and Success. She is the guardian of the
Artefact: The 9 shards of Pandora's Jar (the 9 rings and orbs around her skirt)
Occupation: (mainly) farming in the human settlement, also works part-time in the human village
Home: (currently) The Amaterasu Omikami Shrine (she rents the futon cupboard in the back room)

Where she can be found:
On any typical day in late spring, summer and autumn, between sunrise and late afternoon, she's normally either in the fields helping out the farmers or working in the village. At these times she's almost unrecognisable as she's normally in normal human attire and would look almost indistinguishable from other local humans.

At sunset and early evenings she can usually be found in the northern flower fields. The flower field has long since become associated with her and her powers to grant wishes, and as such has become known as 'The Fields of Hope'. The cliffside also shares the name, 'Gap of Hope', and is perhaps the origin of her (nick)name, 'Gappy'. Similarly, in winter and early spring she can be found here, either day or evening.

She sleeps very rarely. The futon cupboard was rented mostly for want of a place to store her junk....or rather, hide her little gap to her little pocket dimension where she stores her junk.

Shot Type Contracts:
(Note: Gappy is more often the support shot type for others, thus why she's contracted to quite a few people)
Solais, Moerin, Xan, Kerigis, and many others

Most Common Spell Cards:
[Hymn of Hope] The one Pandora Left Behind - Origin's Overture
[Hymn of Ambition] Swim Little Carp! Enter the Dragon!
[Hymn of Perseverance] The Motherly Eyes that Watched Odysseus
[Hymn of Luck] Cornu of Copia - Flow! Amalthea's Sweet Milk!
[Hymn of Fortune] Spin Spin Spin the Blind Wheel that Turns the World!
[Hymn of Hope] Humanity's Final Strength - The Greatest of Pandora's Evils!

Personality:
Like the very aspect she embodies, she is extremely optimistic, ever cheerful, albeit childishly so. Despite being quite bright and quick-witted in her own right, since Hope is such a childish thing, she unfortunately suffers from some rather incurable childish quirks, like utterly pure innocence, gullibility, and an odd inability to believe that anyone can be truly evil. Her clumsiness is legendary, but her natural knack at persevering usually barely makes up for it.

Also, like the aspect she embodies, she is rather whimsical. She changes hobbies and pastimes every so often, everything from hula dancing to fire-eating. She might occasionally take an interest in a particular person and follow them about for a while. If the person feels so inclined, she might even befriend him or her.

She does have one permanent hobby. She is a rather obsessive collectomaniac and would often spend her free time 'treasure hunting', as she calls it, though the objects she picks up are very rarely actual treasure and more aptly termed 'junk'. The little pocket dimension she hides away in her gap inside the shrine futon cupboard now features a rather impressive array of useless junk, very meticulously arranged and catalogued.

You'd expect the embodiment of such a positive aspect of reality to be kind and helpful. Well, yes, kind she is, but helpful...not always. In fact, 9 times out of ten she would usually refuse to help with any endeavour outright, no matter the cause. When she decides to refuse, she will do so obstinately, no matter what the reward she is offered. However, on the other hand, she sometimes agrees to help immediately, refusing any rewards. Perhaps she is rather lazy? Or perhaps she just likes seeing people struggle? Or perhaps she's just weird like that. Who knows?

While there really isn't much distinction between 'good' and 'evil' in the world of touhou, there are always sides to any dispute, and Gappy is rather inconsistent in her choice of sides, if she chooses to get involved at all. She's rather inconstant. She very well understands and treasures friendships, but to her friendship doesn't seem to extend to the concept of allies and enemies. Whether or not you're her friend, she can be your ally today, your enemy tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:09:02 AM by Gappy »

Re: Gappy's Pointlessly Artistic Gap - Mind the gaping gap in my creativity~
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »
It's about time you made a thread here =D

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
GapZone, your draws and wordificatins give me a YaySmile
Wotters gonna' wot

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »
gee whiz

GREY NAMES UNITE

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »
Should add the [Art] Label, Gapicus.

Also, Holy zen thats an amazing redo. I mean damn t-

Whitegap.jpg

... :V

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Simply gorgeous. And beautiful. And Transcendent. And WOAH.

But excuse me, I have to clean now-

* Solaiston Beam opens the futon cupboard.

* Solaiston Beam is buried under the mountain of junk.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Uwah, Gappy-chan (or should that be Gappy-sama~?), that's just... It's so... Beautiful~<3  She looks like some kind of angel of light and hope, come down to redeem the righteous and smite down the wicked~

Also I've always found it somewhat fitting that the embodiment of hope and dreams associates with the embodiment of the forgotten, but maybe that's just me.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
hey~ we have a world tree, sweet.

can I hug that tree?

and well, Gappy, your work has jump up another notch, this is getting better and better.
your next target should probably to learn photoshop vectorwork, and if you can, re do your pieces and dab it with that special clean cut look, and I guarantee you by then you would have surpassed FG~

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
:D
That picture is soo~o beatifu- wait.. that's still 'in progress'? You plan on making this even better? Impossible (o_0)/

"Awesome" isn't the same as "perfect" yaknow ;3

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
HOLY CRAP. Thats amazing Gap.
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
* TranceHime parseevibes

I am in awe, as per usual.

The touching up is just beautiful.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
...err...thanks for the over-the-top flattery...? ^^;;

Thanks all, I appreciate the generous comments ^^ But as I keep on repeating, it's not that great....yet. I still have a long way to go ^^

As you may notice, the pose is rather static in this one compared to my usual poses. I thought I should start out simple as this is the first time I'm attempting such complex colouring and shading. Up till now I've always relied on a partner artist for colouring for my DA, but I didn't think I should ask her to help out here XP

Also, I borrowed a tablet to make this one possible ^^;; So yes, a lot of it is thanks to the tablet XD

Thanks, btw, Oneesama. I'll be sure to pick up vectoring. I'm sure my sister mentioned something about that but I was too busy getting my head around the tablet XD

Also, added my archive of Touhou Myoushugatari art to the OP.

Oh, would the following people please post a name and description for a few of their spellcards? I may use it to produce your pic...or I might just make up a new spellcard for you if your description proves too complicated to draw XD

- Slaves
- Trance
- UK
- Solais
- Purvis
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:43:42 PM by Neko-Gappy »

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
Hystercial "Party Train" should be obvious as to what it looks like.

Annoyance "SHUT UP CHEN" Chen shoots bubble bullets, while Yukari opens her mouth and shoots out lasers. she functions like Unzan's head.

"Super Paper" would be my survival, but i'm not sure how it would work. something like Nue's i guess. red and blue lasers form the shape of a piece of a notebook paper(blue lines going horizontally, red line going vertically), and then they'd disappear, and maybe it rotates?

and then minidrakes. i don't know what their spellcard would be though <:3

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Another WIP - very rough because it was mostly done on the subway.

Guess who!

Name: ???
Nickname: Little Red, Akazukin, Aka-chan,
Title: The Restless Girl Dressed in Red
Species: Vengeful Evil Spirit
Power: ???
Role: Wolf Hunter
Artefact: The Old Woodcutter's Axe, 'Wolfsbane'
Occupation: (mainly) hunting wolves, guiding lost people out of the forest. She has also been seen selling cookies and biscuits at the Amaterasu Omikami shrine lately.
Home: ??

Where she can be found:
In the Bamboo Forest of the Lost or the Forest of Magic where people often get lost. People often report seeing a figure dressed in dark red who would dance and skip far ahead in the gloaming darkness, and that following it would lead them out of the forest. The figure doesn't approach people often, but when it does, it takes the appearance of a young girl, dressed in red, carrying a basket and an axe. Sometimes she appears to the sound of wolves howling. Some even report seeing her appear with a wolf.

Sometimes the villagers would come across a dead wolf in the forest. Its belly would be hewn open and its body thrown into a body of water, usually a stream or river. There would always be a trail of blood, ending in a pile of wolfsbane where the wolf was apparently killed. They say it is the work of the little girl in red.

Oh, on a side note, there's often a young girl dressed in red who sells cookies and biscuits at the shrine....but she can't be the same girl....right...?

Shot Type Contracts:
Gappy

Most Common Spell Cards:
[Dirge of Wolves] What Big Eyes You Have!
[Dirge of Woodcutters] From the Belly of the Beast
[Dirge of The Red] The Girl All in Red Red Red
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:25:18 PM by Neko-Gappy »

♛ Apher-Forte

Nice new work, I like the red riding hood motif

it so reminded me of Akazukin Cha Cha...

and that is bad cause I used to watch it... despite it being a kiddy show...

[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Today's Thoughts on Project Ijiyatsu:

I've been thinking up more origins and backgrounds for characters rooted in western myth, folklore and fairytales. I think it's quite fitting, considering we're a western community and that this is a western project. There's plenty to pick up and expand on in western myth which I think will give Project Ijiyatsu its own distinct, unique flavour. Thoughts?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Great idea, and I've been doing that too. This is why I've made up the idea of the unknown Western Region, as you have said that some of the Iji-cast or their ancestors, and all of the humans came originally from Gensokyo, to repopulate Ijiyatsukai, or the Eastern Region by my idea. However the Western Region has great potential for more western youkai. And considering some of my ideas about that region...

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Today's Thoughts on Project Ijiyatsu:

I've been thinking up more origins and backgrounds for characters rooted in western myth, folklore and fairytales. I think it's quite fitting, considering we're a western community and that this is a western project. There's plenty to pick up and expand on in western myth which I think will give Project Ijiyatsu its own distinct, unique flavour. Thoughts?

I can see this being different from Seihou, which greatly interests me. But unfortunately, for my little shallow mind to handle, it is more I am interested in how you are going to handle the characters with this concept in mind. XD In any case, it seems like it would be a good direction to take Ijiyatsu in, but we'll have to make sure it doesn't conflict with existing material. But with the current state, I think we can make leeway.

Oh, would the following people please post a name and description for a few of their spellcards? I may use it to produce your pic...or I might just make up a new spellcard for you if your description proves too complicated to draw XD

- Slaves
- Trance
- UK
- Solais
- Purvis

M, m, me? Okay...

Ice Diadem 「Eye of Skadi」
氷冠「スカディの瞳」
A frozen heart appears, shooting zig-zagging and undulating rays of ice, leaving little room in between each ray, shot all around the heart.

Ice Diadem 「Freezing Field」
氷冠「凍てつく原」
Sporadic balls of ice burst randomly, releasing icicle explosion. Kind of like Cirno's Icicle Fall condensed into random blasts that are shot everywhere in a small radius.

Heart Diadem 「Purification」
心冠「清めさせる」
8 Mini-Master Sparks aimed from all around the user, like a set of spokes.

Heart Diadem 「Artemis' Tears」
心冠「アルテミスの涙」
Rain of Cupid-flavoured arrows, similar to a rain of knives from Sakuya~n.

Bless Diadem 「Mercy of Guan Yin」
恵冠「観音の容赦」
Billions of cheeto lasers. Everywhere. Find an opening!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Oh, btw, since Moerin already guessed it yesterday on IRC, yes, that Little red riding hood is Ana-chan (AKA Anthony).

Also, Oneesama, I used to watch Akazukin Cha Cha too! Back when it was on Cartoon Network Asia ^^

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Guess who~

Name: ???
ickname: 
Title: A Certain Uncertain Kitten
Species: Caith Sidhe/Cheshire
Power: Manipulation of Fetishes?
Role: Servant?
Artifact: ???
Home: ???

Where she can be found: ???

Shot Type Contracts:
Serpentarius

Most Common Spell Cards: ???

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
IT'S PIKACHU

♛ Apher-Forte

I am just reminded, shouldn't UK be a Lynx? I always thought of her as a 'wild cat'

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
well, she's like a "Slave" or something, So a domestic house cat would be more fitting... OR MAYBE SHE'S A LIONESS >:3
Wotters gonna' wot

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Ok, unprecedented serious affair. My muse is dying a slow painful death and I need to revive it. Give me INTERESTING requests to draw on the tube on the way home today.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot another old request from Nobu. I'll get to that.

Edit2: ...I might as well pick up the librarian squad request too. ^^
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:47:39 AM by Zucchima »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Edit2: ...I might as well pick up the librarian squad request too. ^^
Yes, please, very please, with strawberries on top. ^^
A group of eight people should definitely keep you busy enough  :D

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
Yes, please, very please, with strawberries on top. ^^
A group of eight people should definitely keep you busy enough  :D

Can you please note down the names of all the members? Thanks.