Author Topic: BorderCross - A multiplayer card game  (Read 10648 times)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
Re: BorderCross - A multiplayer card game
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 07:01:03 AM »
I dunno about you, but one of my favorite parts about Bang! was the crazy variations like "Superman", where everybody got like three different character abilities at the same time. So, in celebration of the start of spring break, I rubbed the few brain cells that survived midterms together and came up with a couple variant rulesets:

~) Support Teams (~

When dealing out character cards at the beginning of the game, each player receives 6 cards instead of 5. They choose one "Main" character (MC), and one "Support" character (SC). Vital stats from the Support character are ignored, but both characters' abilities are active. You are encouraged to refer to your characters with a portmanteau name.

Exceptions:
-If Ran is your SC, your RTR is 8, unless your MC's RTR is naturally higher. (lol Cirno)

-If Cirno is your SC, her ability reads "Winter cards played by others or already in play in front of others that are used against Cirno do not affect her." (essentially, she loses the crazy regen gain.)

-If Rumia is your SC, your RTR is 5, unless your MC's RTR is naturally lower. (otherwise you're just asking for someone to park at 5+ regen tokens and stall the game out.)

-If Nitori is your SC, you draw 2 cards at 0 tokens, 6 cards at RTR tokens*, 5 cards at (RTR-1) tokens, 4 cards at (RTR-2) tokens, and 3 cards otherwise. This ability uses your MC's printed RTR. (with similar adjustments for the NitoRan and NitoRumia)
*possible with Yuugi's Shackles

-(Iku Clause) You cannot be unaffected by more than one season at a time. (e.g. Sanae, Cirno, and of course, Iku)

Clarifications:
-Yuuka/Utsuho: Spells saved with Yuuka's ability do get the +1 bonus from Utsuho's ability when recast.

-If Patchy is your SC, you start with a number of cards determined by your MC's Power, and have no hand size limit.

-For multiple abilities that draw a card and look at its season (e.g. Alice/Kisume) resolve each ability sequentially, with separate draws.

Power-Up Phase shenanigans:
-No more than one alternative draw ability (e.g. Koishi, Prismrivers, Yorihime) may be used per turn.

-Abilities like Keine's and Eirin's only take effect if the card(s) in question were drawn normally from the top of the deck.

-If you are drawing more than 3 cards because of an ability, alternative draw abilities only replace the first three draws. If you are drawing less than three cards because of an ability, (e.g. Nitori) you may not use an alternative draw.

Banned Combos:
-Ran/Rumia - because of the RTR conflict
-(I'm also eyeing Utsuho/Kaguya rather suspiciously. Thoughts?)

~) Red Oni Blue Oni (~

Players: 6-12, evens

Two Keepers: one Red, one Blue. Everyone else is a Protectorate, also color coded. Protectorates sit around their Keeper to maximize distance between the Keeper and the other team. Keepers sit directly across from each other. When one Keeper is knocked out, the other team wins. Killing an opposing Protectorate brings the reward for killing a Mischief Maker. Killing an allied Protectorate brings the penalty for a Keeper killing a Protectorate, even if the killer was not a Keeper. Additional rules to prevent friendly fire (for spells like Pandemonium) are optional.

For extra hijinx, add a "Traitor" role (can't think of a good title atm) on each team who's secretly working for the other team. Killing a traitor brings the reward/penalty based on which team he was actually working for, not the team he appeared to be working for. A traitor may reveal themselves when killing an "ally" to receive the reward instead of the penalty.

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
I actually toyed with the idea of supports, similar to how Imperishable Night functioned with alternate characters, but then I decided against it. There simply wasn't enough room on the cards for secondary effects or support roles, and there were too many conflicting results. Certain pairs would literally make you immune to half the deck, and other combinations with RTR and such would make things ridiculous in terms of life gain, token gains, etc. So, I decided it wasn't reasonable, but that's not to stop you from doing whatever. The team play might be possible, but tough to implement.

There are seasons on the character cards as well, and I originally had the idea to use ability draws for seasons done through the leftover player cards instead of using the main deck, but that kind of dilutes the power of some characters' abilities, but I figured I'd let it go for now and see how it works with the main deck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:42:59 PM by Imasock »

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
'Sock-san, ore's now researching the game (and searching for the place to print it..)

But i have a request of international meaning.
Some of my friends do NOT know english enough for playing games.. And the native language is more comfortable for leisure playing.
Thus, could you please share the RAW (psd' or whatever you used instead of photoshopping) version of "manual+single+printsheet+font", with the text possible to be edited simplier?
(the game's still yours, the pictures are all ther owners', only want greatly to translate the text fields, Will upload back and report all the errors found in text. (if the beta 's supposed to be reported about.))

Appreciating your answer.
A wandering Russian newbie.

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »
I don't particularly wish to release the .PSD files due to a few reasons, one being that anyone who has them could freely modify everything about the cards if they wished, including removing the copyright and illustration credits for the game. I also don't really want to release my PSD work because others then have the opportunity to take credit for things themselves, and I don't want that either.

However, depending on how hard it would be to do, I could remake the cards with the appropriate text on them if I had translations for everything. I would not mind taking the time to re-do the text for that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:59:43 AM by Imasock »

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
An expected answer, Imasock-san.
Well, roger that! Appreciate your help/ (though still interested in the font for my collection :))
Now translating, thanks for copying all the text and edits to the textguide.

One question on the rules: Which cards are shown to other players and which are not?
Only the "roles" and "utility/spell" in hand are hidden?

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:48:01 AM »
The cards in your hand are not shown, and your role card is not shown. Everything else is to be visible, such as equipment, reserve spells, and your character card.

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
Hope im not necro-ing :(
But perhaps we could get a game going in RPG ?
I would love to try this out~

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
Khem. Imasock-san, new questions:

1) does character's season affinity change something? (not meaning cirno)

2) Would you be able to typeset the translation during this week? (work in progress)

3) How is "spell lock" played?
a) spells opened do no damage?
b)-I use it, then attack-1, player2 attacks-2, i attack-3, finished. Player2 loses 3 life, I get 3 regen?
c)-i use it, attack1, p2-attack2,i attack3,p2 attack4, we finished - I lose 4 life, p2 gets 4 regen?
d) --then user+winner will never get 2 regen - 1st+3nd owned, 2nd enemy's - minimum of 3.?
e) And are the used-up spells discarded?

4.Eirin Character:
a) card: "must show the winter card to others and get 2 tokens for each"
b) italics in manual: "must not show the 1st and 3rd cards, but she gets 4 tokens this way"
Thus, she MUST or she MAY?

5. Mokou Character - not attackable by spells with the power of two. Are there spells with the power of one? Will Mokou get hit with the second wave of spells like "hell's wheel of pain" (3 to 1st target, 2 to nearby one) and so on? (sorry if misspelled the card name - already translated it into russian and now back...)

6. p1 - Iku Nagae Character - chose Winter;
p2 - Fujivara no Mokou.
p3 - someone else, uses Shinigami 12 great gods' banquet spell.
p4 loses 2 life, mokou loses 2 life (specially mentionned on the card), Iku loses nothing, because during this turn she's invincible to winter cards?

7. Kogasa Character: "Whenever Kogasa suffers damage" should be "Whenever Kogasa is attacked" - she can use her +1 counter-damage even when she dodges and thus takes no damage.
and does she return the +1 counter when attacked with a likes of "12 gods' banquet"?
+ practically the same goes for Hong Meiling.

8. Is stealing cards such a frequent thing?
Maribel Han - her cards don't get stolen? What about discarding? What about Koishi's ablity to get other person's card?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:42:41 AM by Xenos Hydrargirum »

Imasock

• Creator of BorderCross
    • My website
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
All of these will be addressed in the 1.2 update, which is still in progress.

The game has been played several times and I've made some adjustments as I've come across them, as well as what's been brought up in the thread and through other questions posed.

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »
Well, if it's gonna hapen - when is it possible to, and couldn't you give the changes list so our copies didn't vary?

Resend the translation. Would you be able to type it? *two people worrying*

translated and checked for 1.1 including manual. (Also remembered, that mailed you - please, read that notice)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:09:09 PM by Xenos Hydrargirum »