Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 224942 times)

Formless God

Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #480 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
I have to say that, even though I'm more than frosty about the gameplay, the music really is outstanding and enjoyable to listen separately. Liked all new tracks instantly. That's quite an achievement, I usually need some time hearing them during gameplay to form an opinion.
Yup, this is probably the only game in the series where all tracks hooked me right off the bat. I am impress.

« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Arg... Well, I got about one day out of it (loved the game) but now every time I try to open it, it'll just give me a message in Japanese that says "Log" at the top and won't open. Tried replacing all the program I could find and it still does it.

Edit: The game was running invisibly and it was telling me in Japanese that it was already open >_< A quick trip to ctrl-alt-delete land helped. I get the fun of starting from the beginning haha.

On topic though one of the funniest cards for me was Mokou's second or third one, with the falling fire. I dodged it all without items (like you're supposed to) then for a minute I thought "Wow! I got her! That was too easy!' ...Of course I forgot she can revive.

Spoiler:
When I saw how fast her lifebar was going down, I knew she was going to resurrect when killed. She did it with a bang.

I've managed to clear all scenes up to day 9 included, but WTF when tried Last Day. Only managed to clear 10-4 right now, but how the heck I'm supposed to beat 10-7 or 10-9?
Spoiler:
At least in 3-4 you can shoot Mokou when she explodes, not like Remilia.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:07 PM »
10-7 you can use the lantern with the doll sub to butcher it-alternately, statue+mallet sub allows you to be hit by 5 rounds of lasers, which is enough to shoot down the card.

10-9 was the last scene I cleared normally-use the bomb item to avoid having to dodge through walls, and try to lure Remilia in a vertical zigzag.  The camera sub helped me quite a bit with this one.

« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Okay so it turns out 10-3 is an absolute joke with Alice's doll + Magic Mallet :V
The trick here is Alice's Doll + Mallet causes the doll to kill bullets. Put the doll RIGHT IN FRONT of Tenshi and it will eat up pretty much everything. Just remember to move up put a new doll down before the first one expires.

Also 10-5 is done with Reimu's orb. Orb + Tanuki sub lets you have one mistake, while Orb + Bomb lets you teleport more easily since it will clear some blue bullets (not the red ones though). She has 4 different waves of attacks. First one can be just dodged. Second one feels kind of luck based, but basically teleport after the bullets start moving. Third one is similar BUT right after you teleport DONT MOVE. You'll be in the safespot for the 4th wave. During the fourth wave, wait until the red bullets move out, then when the blue bullets move in, teleport away to safety. She then repeats, but she should go down after repeating wave 1.

Right now I'm stuck on
10-2 because those lasers give you NO time to react and have stupidly big hitboxes. It's like Kogasa's stupid laser card all over again.
10-6 because oh god curvy lasers
10-7 because oh god what
10-8 because I keep timing it out. Can't seem to do enough damage to Tenshi even with Alice sub
10-9 because it's dumb. I thought I could outsmart it with Alice dolls, BUT THE EXPLOSIONS GET BIGGER

stupid lasers

« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
Is there anything beyond day 10? I thought Zun always did extra stages for StB games too, figures it would require a certain amount of overall cards beat, an amount of score or a bunch of cards beat without any items.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
Is there anything beyond day 10? I thought Zun always did extra stages for StB games too, figures it would require a certain amount of overall cards beat, an amount of score or a bunch of cards beat without any items.
Unless it unlocks on 70-75 no item clears, nothing beyond Day 10.  (I've got 69 no item clears and Jaimers has at least 70 right now).

« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »
Like others said, the soundtrack is pretty great. Even the title screen music is very impressive to me.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »
Same opinion here. Overall nice soundtrack, with some interesting experimentation with the style used in DDC, HM, and somewhat TD.
Probably the most surprising thing about this game is the extremely low amount of negativity towards the final product. Usually by now someone rants about how absolutely awful some part of it is, but so far I haven't seen something like that. Either people are satisfied with the game that much, or I haven't dug around enough yet to find something. :V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
10-8 because I keep timing it out. Can't seem to do enough damage to Tenshi even with Alice sub

Accidentally no-main-item cleared this one. (I did have the doll sub though) Brought an item I didn't want to use but I figured "eh let's see how it goes" and it kind of just happened.
Maybe this can be helpful, https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpd2y3tt5szpoae/th143_01.rpy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:06:35 AM by Iffy »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #489 on: May 14, 2014, 03:14:37 AM »
Reading through some of the Nickname translations, and then suddenly ZUN unleashed nostalgia without trying.

"Starmine
Cleared 10 scenes using the Four-Foot Magic Bomb.
The attraction of fireworks is more in the sound than the sight, huh?"

Argha now I want to play Fantavision again.

« Reply #490 on: May 14, 2014, 03:27:46 AM »
Count me in on "the soundtrack is awesome" bandwagon.

Formless God

« Reply #491 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:24 AM »
So uh I just survived ~4 waves of 10-7 by going to the top-left/right corner everyone probably figured this out already. The problem is you need to do that about 10 times :V

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #492 on: May 14, 2014, 04:11:25 AM »
I have survived 5 waves, using the Alice sub to deal extra damage. It's not the top-left corner per se, but as far from Miko as possible...

I like how everyone is trying to No-Item clear the 10-7. I believe someone must have cleared it by now, haven't it?
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #493 on: May 14, 2014, 05:29:39 AM »
"Starmine
Cleared 10 scenes using the Four-Foot Magic Bomb.
The attraction of fireworks is more in the sound than the sight, huh?"

Argha now I want to play Fantavision again.
I want to say that's a pretty obscure reference but I think launch titles have a fair distribution just out of virtue of being the only things for the system at the time.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #494 on: May 14, 2014, 05:31:01 AM »
I like how everyone is trying to No-Item clear the 10-7. I believe someone must have cleared it by now, haven't it?
Just got it. via pause buffering every wave but I still got it at 60 FPS, no external tools.  borderline, but I still count it as me doing it-first completely real-time cap is up for grabs still!

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #495 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:10 AM »
When do you unlock the subitem slot? I'm at day 3 and still can't use them yet.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

« Reply #496 on: May 14, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
I'm just really satisfied with this game. It feels like ZUN's let himself improvise and made something odd and new and shiny in the process, you know. I don't think this'll be like a start of a new wave of gameplay, but we'll look back at this and find it has a special place in the Touhou series.

The soundtrack goes well with the attacks and enhances the mood, it's a good showcase of his new chrome-plated sound.

The attacks themselves I could write an essay on. As a game designer, I find them interesting because they shed new light on how ZUN thinks about things. In the main games you have unwritten design rules about what sort of bullshit can be thrown at the screen, imposed by how the player is expected to pass a series of attacks with limited lives. Here, it's all out of the window - you're allowed to have surprises, impassable walls, wide ranges of movement, excessive amounts of stuff piling up in the game board. But it's all focused on the items, so these cards are built on the idea that there's more than one way to do things. You have to be able to evaluate when you can simply dodge and when's a good time to use an item instead. Trying out combinations and figuring out strategies for each adds a puzzle aspect that'll surely keep completionists entertained.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #497 on: May 14, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
I saw a few NicoDouga video's succeeding in this (and Remilia's  first) SC.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #498 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
When do you unlock the subitem slot? I'm at day 3 and still can't use them yet.

Unlock day 6
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #499 on: May 14, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
I saw a few NicoDouga video's succeeding in this (and Remilia's  first) SC.

Well, I'll be damned. Still, once I get it, I will be damn proud and none of you will be able to take that from me *smugface*
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #500 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »
Well, I just discovered there's a secret
Spoiler:
set of nicknames for clearing all scenes with a given item.  I did it with the Jizo Statue, and was presented with a 61st award.  It was below the one for 20 with the statue, so it's a reasonable assumption that there's also one for clearing all scenes no item...

Oh, and picked up 10-6 no item.  Only 8-6 and 10-4 remain, and I pause buffered my way through a wave of 10-4 once and can definitely dodge 8-6.  Just a matter of time until 75/75 no item clears.

« Reply #501 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
Well, I just discovered there's a secret
Spoiler:
set of nicknames for clearing all scenes with a given item.  I did it with the Jizo Statue, and was presented with a 61st award.  It was below the one for 20 with the statue, so it's a reasonable assumption that there's also one for clearing all scenes no item...

Spoiler:
There are 70 achievements, 10 of them are hidden. The hidden ones are for clearing all scenes with the corresponding item, including the one about clearing all without items.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »
Spoiler:
There are 70 achievements, 10 of them are hidden. The hidden ones are for clearing all scenes with the corresponding item, including the one about clearing all without items.
This is what I had assumed.  10-4 is insane though, it's going to take a while..

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #503 on: May 14, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
I'd be curious to see the Venn Diagram of players who don't use the items in IPS and those that didn't use freeze in GFW. There's data to be mined there, I'm sure of it. Either way, fun is a flexible concept.

Also, haven't checked lately but are the achievements translated?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #504 on: May 14, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
Some of them have the last time I checked the wiki (hence why I noticed the Fantavision reference), but not all of them, nor any of the hidden achievements.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #505 on: May 14, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
Probably the most surprising thing about this game is the extremely low amount of negativity towards the final product. Usually by now someone rants about how absolutely awful some part of it is, but so far I haven't seen something like that. Either people are satisfied with the game that much, or I haven't dug around enough yet to find something. :V

You just have to know where to look. One quite reasonable complaint I've seen is the amount of reused spellcards, for example.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #506 on: May 14, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
Actually, most of the time negativity is there because of expectations towards whatever it is people are negative about. I think people got more or less what they thought they would get from this game.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
Day 10 No Item all clear playlist. (not by me)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/44122527

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #509 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
Actually, most of the time negativity is there because of expectations towards whatever it is people are negative about. I think people got more or less what they thought they would get from this game.
That's one part of it. Over the past years of seeing the arrival of new games, I've noticed:

1. People who start out seeing screenshots and deciding "new Touhou a shit" almost never, ever changed their minds once the game came out.
2. Those that were all hypehypehype might be disappointed a little bit if all their expectations weren't met, but they usually find some way to rationalize it.
2(a). Those who were hyped about one thing in particular, but didn't get it, fly into a rage.
3. People who had no expectations whatsoever, or got exactly what they thought was coming, were usually favorable towards the new game.

It's the ciiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiiiiiiife ...

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."