Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 224764 times)

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:43 AM »
So have those ice crystals in 1-5 (Cirno's Ice King "Frost King") appeared anywhere else?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2014, 04:24:53 AM »
Are there any new artworks for old characters (not counting DDC ones) in this game?

Thanks in advance!
No new animations sadly. Some interesting uses of old stuff, though, like
Spoiler:
Mokou attacking with Utsuho sun bullets.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2014, 04:26:49 AM »
No. All of the sprites/portraits are from DDC, Double Spoiler, or Shoot the Bullet, apart from Seiga herself.
DS and StB refer to Hatate and Aya, right?  They're the only ones with artworks in the photo games, as far as I'm concerned.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:41 AM »
DS and StB refer to Hatate and Aya, right?  They're the only ones with artworks in the picture games, as far as I'm concerned.
A lot of characters got big boss-sized animated sprites in those games; either their first ones, or significantly upgraded ones. Of course, the ones who were in very recent games just had theirs reused in 'em, but, technicalities~
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:11 AM »
Doesn't Tenshi show up? Where would her artwork come from?

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #425 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:42 AM »
A lot of characters got big boss-sized animated sprites in those games; either their first ones, or significantly upgraded ones. Of course, the ones who were in very recent games just had theirs reused in 'em, but, technicalities~
So you were talking about sprites...  I was talking about character artworks seen during dialogues...

Who do you have conversations with anyway?  I know you talk to Yatsuhashi and Kagerou.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:37:38 AM by game2011 »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #426 on: May 12, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »
Doesn't Tenshi show up? Where would her artwork come from?
Tenshi appeared in DS. ZUN probably made her sprite out of scraps. Same thing with Iku and Suika.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #427 on: May 12, 2014, 04:36:15 AM »
One thing I noticed is that Mokou has a new background. Goodbye Giant Mokou Face, you will be missed.
Pretty easy game. I got stuck on the last day on my playthrough, but that's better than my experiences with DS atleast.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2014, 05:00:46 AM »
If you can figure out what item is best for the scene, anyone who can beat a touhou game on normal mode should be able to clear all cards,  I think. The game is much more about puzzle than dodging danmaku.

So you were talking about sprites...  I was talking about character artworks seen during dialogues...

Who do you have conversations with anyway?  I know you talk to Yatsuhashi and Kagerou.
Sorry, I figured they were hardly even worth mentioning, considering you see the portraits for about 5 seconds and they don't even reappear when you do the scene again; you spend far less than a single minute during the entire game seeing portraits assuming you don't pause during dialogue. You also talk to Reiko, Mamizou, and Sukuna. Although Mamizou's encounter is funny because she doesn't actually appear for cards until the next day.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:09:23 AM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2014, 07:40:39 AM »
This theme sounds like it will fit into the Goemon series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQIvOKK6tM

I really like the genre where metal and oriental/folk music are combined.  Not sure if there is a specific name for that genre or if it even has its own genre...

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
I think it's called folk metal. I'm subscribed to a guy who does a lot of those.

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
The next thing you know, you see uploads with ppl clearing all the 14.3 without any items.

« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
That's kind of the hidden point behind the game. I sure look forward to people beating 10-7, I can't even imagine what you're supposed to do there.
On the other end, 10-10 was surprisingly... easy. Kind of disappointing for the final attack in the game (I think?) but still interesting.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #433 on: May 12, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
Wait, so you're expected to clear the game using the items, and yet you're perfectly capable of doing so without the items?
...That makes perfect sense!

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
I think it's called folk metal. I'm subscribed to a guy who does a lot of those.
This genre really does exist!

Thanks!

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Wait, so you're expected to clear the game using the items, and yet you're perfectly capable of doing so without the items?
...That makes perfect sense!

It's similar to getting Gold Medals in Fairy Wars. I think 100%ing the game requires no-cheating every card, which is difficult, but I think it is possible to do it. It's just hard.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
You know, I'm getting even more fridge brilliance on this.
The cards are actually technically fair. It's just that Seija, through her flipped perspective, is calling foul and decides to cheat "back".
Keep in mind that I still have zero knowledge in regards to the plot, and as such I might be wrong here, and they're really just half-assing their "cheats".
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:39:53 AM by Leonard-Helsing »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
That's kind of the hidden point behind the game.
Really? I'm not too sure about that. I remember after GFW came out, and news got to ZUN that people were trying to beat the game without using freezing attacks, he was frankly perplexed.

I do like the fact that many (if not most, or even all) of these cards require no cheating whatsoever. If you just want to dodge spellcards, you can totally do that. But using the tools allows certain unlocks and levelling up that you won't get without the tools.

So while I don't think "the hidden point" of the game is to not use the very tools that sort of make the game what it is, it's interesting that this option is available for those who choose. Although personally, I find using the tools infinitely more fun.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #438 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
All using the tool does is power up that specific tool, no? Clearing tool-less does that too. Are there specific achievements for each tool?

Tengukami

« Reply #439 on: May 12, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
All using the tool does is power up that specific tool, no? Clearing tool-less does that too. Are there specific achievements for each tool?
That I don't know. I just don't think all these unlockable, level-up-able tools would be made the main theme of the game if the "hidden point" was to completely ignore them.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #440 on: May 12, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »
You can level up items with no-cheat clears. In fact, a no-cheat clear will count the scene as cleared for ALL items you possess at the time, which gives them all experience. In other words, taking the time to no-scene clear early scenes can help level all of your items without taking the time to clear those scenes with each item individually.
Also *using* the tools doesn't unlock anything, the only thing that unlocks anything is clearing scenes.

Tengukami

« Reply #441 on: May 12, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
Yes, be that as it may, saying the "hidden point" of the game is to not use the tools is like saying the "hidden point" of IN is to do solo runs.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #442 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Some sprites are almost 12 years old. Touhou sure has come a long way.

Everyone new from th13 and th14 appears in this game, except for one character. Isn't it sad?
Signature

« Reply #443 on: May 12, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
>enter day 7
>oh shit it's marisa
>she's probably gonna just spa-
>yep

« Reply #444 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
Some sprites are almost 12 years old. Touhou sure has come a long way.

Everyone new from th13 and th14 appears in this game, except for one character. Isn't it sad?

Yuuka, the Prismriver Sisters and Medicine didn't appear in Shoot the Bullet.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #445 on: May 12, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »
Yuuka, the Prismriver Sisters and Medicine didn't appear in Shoot the Bullet.

Medicine did, actually.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #446 on: May 12, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
It was Mystia who didn't appear, not Medicine. :V

« Reply #447 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
Youmu's GhostbladeLantern is op

MAX level Lantern + Alice's Doll for extra DPS lets you cheese most of the game by just activating the lantern then sitting on top of the boss until they die

And by most of the game I mean the entire game up until the final day

That's every pre 10 spellcard except for Day 8-6 and 8-7 which have too much hp to cheese

Of Day 10, 10-1 and 10-10 can be cheesed. Everything else has too much HP.

Also WTF is 10-7 that's just curvy lasers on another unreactable level
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:01:11 PM by Suikama »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #448 on: May 12, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Also WTF is 10-7 that's just curvy lasers on another unreactable level
Yeah you have to hard-counter that one with items. It's probably the most impossible card to imagine doing itemless. Not even Remi's Washing Machine :V

10-10 is way too easy. I've noticed it's time based and not hp based, though. I think I'll go see what happens if I just wait a long time.
e:I can't focus for that long on that much. I died at 30.5 seconds (timeout phases usually start at 30 in touhou games) because I just couldn't concentrate on the bullets anymore and started chaining deaths.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:34:49 PM by Serela »

« Reply #449 on: May 12, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
I have no idea how CAVE Remi is possible without items unless there's safespot somewhere

Also I think 10-7 might be static so maybe it can just be memorized but still it's pretty bleh