Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 225172 times)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »
This game will probably be interesting, but now that I think about it, I feel like my body... isn't ready. I'm pretty sure I'll have A LOT of trouble trying to find the correct item to clear the respective spell card and stuff, so I'll probably need to check guides constantly. I already have enough trouble trying to use the ice correctly on GFW.

I prefer when shmups are traditional style, focused on dodging bullets only. When they're full of gimmicks I get rather turned off.

From what I've seen in the item descriptions I would take a guess and say that you can use any item, I'm sure every spell will have multiple ways to beat it. But it being a gimmick is very true, as a challenge I would like to be able to beat the spellcards without items.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »
Awww man, another Shoot the bullet-ish game? I really hoped for another classic game. Oh well, won't stop me from playing it!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:27 AM »
I prefer when shmups are traditional style, focused on dodging bullets only. When they're full of gimmicks I get rather turned off.
I dunno, I can play "dodge things, fire shots" in any number of games. What some call "gimmicks" I prefer to think of as ... maybe taking a more imaginative spin on a tried and true format? That's what I found frankly refreshing about GFW, to be honest.

But I suppose it's a matter of taste. Like how there are people who like strawberries, and people who don't. I just wonder if "gimmick" is maybe a little bit of an overused word - sorta loses meaning after a while.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
ZUN doesn't seem the type to reuse older generation portraits in the newer games. Plus I think he like to redraw them as he liked to remake older songs.
Well, he did reuse Kogasa's portrait in Ten Desires.
Though it's probably because it didn't look that old and the art style sort of already matched that of TD anyway.

With ZUN's overseas release interest though, I'm wondering what language they'll be released in...
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was released in the West in full Japanese, cause the very thought of Touhou being published in English would be pretty alien to me.
Not to mention that we'd get actual official translations/corrections from ZUN himself.
It could change a lot of the names, or spellings that we had originally established in the fanbase. (i.e. Flandre/Frandoll/Frandle)

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
You know, I think it'd be more practical if ZUN releases the games with a built-in translation tool/manager, kinda like a mod support.

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
I will be genuinely shocked if it's not in Japanese still. He never said anything about localising it, just making it available for overseas people to buy.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »
It was mentioned earlier in this topic that it's still a Japan-only release.

I dunno, I can play "dodge things, fire shots" in any number of games. What some call "gimmicks" I prefer to think of as ... maybe taking a more imaginative spin on a tried and true format? That's what I found frankly refreshing about GFW, to be honest.

But I suppose it's a matter of taste. Like how there are people who like strawberries, and people who don't. I just wonder if "gimmick" is maybe a little bit of an overused word - sorta loses meaning after a while.

"Gimmick" isn't a bad term, a lot of shmups can be said to have some sort of a gimmick, especially Touhou games. And it's certainly true that different gimmicks influence gameplay to a different degree. Though relying on a gimmick doesn't make a game worse by itself, it makes the gimmick preferences people have more pronounced. Hence why gimmick-heavy games tend to be more polarizing, compared to more simple shoot-and-dodge ones.

Tengukami

« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
The word "gimmick" by itself almost always has negative connotations, though - a cheap stunt or trick that's supposed to give a thing added artificial value. In a gameplay context, it's far more often than not a complaint than praise. QED. "Gimmick" has come to mean "new twist that I don't like". Sort of like with "hipster". What does this word even mean anymore? Hell if I know.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
ZUN still has a lot of work to do, so he can't take a vacation now even after completing the game. The game's street date - the date it's available at stores - is May 18, one week after Reitaisai.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
The word "gimmick" by itself almost always has negative connotations, though - a cheap stunt or trick that's supposed to give a thing added artificial value. In a gameplay context, it's far more often than not a complaint than praise. QED. "Gimmick" has come to mean "new twist that I don't like". Sort of like with "hipster". What does this word even mean anymore? Hell if I know.

The reason I generally dislike gimmicks on a shmup isn't because they're "cheap stunts or tricks", I consider them to be simply a "special feature" of the game. The problem is that they often make things more complicated than they should be, forcing the player to use not only their reflexes but also their knowledge on how to exploit the gimmick properly in order to progress in the game. Shmups with gimmicks most of the time doesn't demand only raw skills to be cleared, but also a relatively high amount of strategy, which is something I'm usually bad at. It's not like I'm trying to say "pure shmups" don't require strategy, but the more significant the gimmick, the more strategy you will need.

In spite of that, shmups with only a few gimmicks are still acceptable to add a "catch" in the game. There's a shmup called Akashicverse, where you should perform input sequences similar to the ones from fighting games in order to activate special attacks called "Methods" to clear some stuff on the screen. By input sequences, I mean things like (↓↓) + SHOT or (←↓→ / →↓←) + SHOT.  I didn't like it at first, but then it quickly grew on me. That's an example of "gimmick heavy" shmup" done right. As for 14.3, I'm still a bit distrustful if it will work properly or not. I won't deny it seems very innovative, but it will probably make the game feel more like a "puzzle shmup" than a "regular shmup".

Either way, I can still totally change my mind once I get to play it. Maybe I'm being a little too skeptical and things won't be as bad as I feel they're going to be.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:27:51 PM by ☆ Synnae ☆ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Zil

« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »
Shmups with gimmicks most of the time doesn't demand only raw skills to be cleared, but also a relatively high amount of strategy
This is the case for basically every shmup in the world. They are traditionally straightforward memorization-fests. And I don't think the inclusion of "gimmicks" has any effect on that. I mean, Touhou games are pretty gimmicky in general, but that doesn't stop them from having RNG heavy sections all over the place.

-

In my opinion, Touhou games are at their best when they're innovative and unconventional.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2014, 01:07:20 AM »
This is the case for basically every shmup in the world. They are traditionally straightforward memorization-fests. And I don't think the inclusion of "gimmicks" has any effect on that.

Shmups aren't only about memorization. They require reflexes, timing and other types of skill to be cleared as well.

I mean, Touhou games are pretty gimmicky in general, but that doesn't stop them from having RNG heavy sections all over the place.

I never said that gimmicky shmups lacks RNG segments. I know all of them have. Not only shmups, but most of the games out there generates random data on certain parts, especially RPG's.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:21:51 AM by ☆ Synnae ☆ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
ZUN still has a lot of work to do, so he can't take a vacation now even after completing the game. The game's street date - the date it's available at stores - is May 18, one week after Reitaisai.

So we might still be getting another game this year?
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

cuc

« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
So we might still be getting another game this year?
The "work" here is short term, referring to ZUN's "day job": writing Touhou manga. He delivered the script for a WaHH chapter just today.

The web store Melonbooks has updated their ISC page with cover art and screenshots. The site itself has an age gate, but you can look at all pics from their site at the fan blog Touhou Memory:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/37704017.html

Spell cards:

Scene 1-3 "Rambunctious Ice Fairy" Cirno: ??? Sign "Perfect ???"
Yuyuko: Butterfly Sign "Flower, Butterfly, Wind and Moon"
Nitori: Waterfall Sign "Shiraito Fall"
Kyouko: Piercing Sound "Piercing Circle"
Reimu: Sacred Lot "Rule-Breaking Boundary"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:36:41 PM by cuc »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2014, 03:13:22 PM »
Looks like we'll be getting lots of returning characters!
Reimu's spell looks beautiful in all of its rainbow goodness.

I wouldn't mind if each character has less spells overall if there were more characters in the game itself.

Also. I have to wonder if there will be a "new" Touhou character in the  game. Only time will tell.

Formless God

« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
Welp, now this looks pretty impossible already (btw I like how the cover art reads "Possible Spell Card" at first glance)
Also I could've sworn it was Ver 1.00b in the trailer.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
Welp, now this looks pretty impossible already (btw I like how the cover art reads "Possible Spell Card" at first glance)

My Refined Touhou Instincts tell me that Yuyuko spell card is aimed. It's probably simple streaming that looks flashier than normal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:19:26 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
Perhaps what's on the CD is 1.00a and he'll release a patch right before release, kinda like what happened with HM.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »
... I feel bit dumb on the fact that I had no idea how a survival card (Kyouko) would work int his game. Then I remembered this is still a shooter and not a photography game.

Formless God

« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »
My Refined Touhou Instincts tell me that Yuyuko spell card is aimed. It's probably simple streaming that looks flashier than normal.
Judging from the bullet distribution, my 2hu instincts told me that the pattern is a huge clusterfuck unfolding from the bottom up in a carpet-like manner.  But now that you pointed it out, it does look more like several smaller components arcing toward the player's vicinity. I would say it's a misdirecting type though.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
I noticed that seems like Raiko is exchanging dialogue with Seija. It'd be cool if all other characters did the same.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
ZUN seems to have been tossing around the idea of having mid-boss dialogue in recent Touhou games. You can see this in the extra boss fight in Fairy Wars, as well as Miko's third spell card and her fourth non-spell (playtime is over!). I'm guessing in this game his itch is manifesting with short pre-battle dialogue. It's always nice to see ZUN experimenting through the games; usually in a series this long a developed formula emerges, so it's amazing how relatively non-standardized the series is after all this time.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »
That's a nice cover. It has pretty colours.

Also, it seems that higher levels means a higher circle on that colour palette in the Cirno screenshot.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
Colors on the "palette" correspond to those in item menu. It looks like it shows which items you've captured the spellcard with. I'm already interested whether it's even possible to do all spellcards with all items.

Also, "Item Level MAX". Grinding confirmed.

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
Something I just posted on my Tumblr that no one appears to have pointed out yet!

Is it possible that ZUN is still tweaking with the engine a bit, or did his PC have a real bad slowdown during the taking of those screens? (or the Melonbooks guy, whoever did them)  :V

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

Formless God

« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
If dialogues in this game consist of the boss firing a 6-ring for 5 seconds and stopping the game until the player finishes Ctrl-ing through all the text then I'd rather it wasn't there altogether.

Tengukami

« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
If dialogues in this game consist of the boss firing a 6-ring for 5 seconds and stopping the game until the player finishes Ctrl-ing through all the text then I'd rather it wasn't there altogether.
Where would you get the idea this would even be the case?

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »
Yeah, if I'm getting anything from the Raiko screenshot, it's that the cheating in this game goes so far, that bullets even fly while they are talking.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Yeah, if I'm getting anything from the Raiko screenshot, it's that the cheating in this game goes so far, that bullets even fly while they are talking.
Made me think of this.

cuc

« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
Observe the trailer carefully, you'll see the "pallette" is an indicator of which stages you have unlocked.