Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 223731 times)

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »
Playable Seija? I knew it was gonna happen someday. This seems like it's gonna be a really innovative new idea.

Just saw the teaser trailer, seems like Aya has a new rival now. X'D

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
The whole reason you get the "20XX  An Afterlife Odyssey" translation is because I believe it to be such a reference. Someone else had translated it as "20XX  A Voyage After Death".

It also seems very different in tone from Keine's earlier spell cards from 10 years ago.

Times have changed in the near future of 20XX.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Reference to this?
Yes, pretty obviously a reference to 2001:ASO. A movie which, apart from being Kubrick's masterpiece, was actually about life, death and the afterlife.

One thing that worries me about what this spell card might be: an iconic line from the book (which appeared in the film sequel, 2010: The Year We Made Contact), is "My god, it's full of stars".

I swear if Keine - who was already a pretty challenging boss in her own right in IN - starts throwin' down stars a la Marisa in Stage 4 IN, I will gleefully employ the rule-breaking items at my disposal.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
I swear if Keine - who was already a pretty challenging boss in her own right in IN - starts throwin' down stars a la Marisa in Stage 4 IN, I will gleefully employ the rule-breaking items at my disposal.
I think that your instincts are right on the mark, Tengukami, and I do believe that that's the whole point. You're supposed to use said items however best you can, and if you're doing it 'gleefully' and enjoying yourself, then mission accomplished for you and for ZUN, right?

To see such a card would be interesting, though. And if Keine is throwing "Marisa Stars" at Seija, that could imply... a whole slew of things, to be perfectly honest.
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
Heck, Seija will probably be enjoying all her rule braking during the game because it will make her opponents angry.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »
I wonder what the nickname function does.

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
One thing that worries me about the game is the possibility that some spell cards cannot be beat without the items, which would be annoying because it would lower it's replay value. It would be amazing to beat the entire game without using items. Another thing bothering me is the lack of Touhou (東方) in the title. I know it sounds like a minor complaint, but I fear this might be the beginning of 3rd Windows Generation. Then again, it may be a one time thing. :wat:

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2014, 02:12:44 AM »
The third Windows generation probably started with DDC, anyways. Also, what exactly is there to complain about it? I'm pretty sure this is just a one time thing. Hell, when you think about it, it suits Seija in the sense it's kind of the opposite of what we normally expect from the usual title naming scheme. :V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

unknowen

• stick to one account ISC143
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »
Hm,interesting.I liked Seija

« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2014, 04:35:44 AM »
I don't think Fairy Wars had "Touhou" in the title either. Come to think of it, the games are pretty similar: they're both side games, they both use a less major character as the protagonist, and they both have unique mechanics used to bypass "impossible" patterns.

« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »
I don't think Fairy Wars had "Touhou" in the title either. Come to think of it, the games are pretty similar: they're both side games, they both use a less major character as the protagonist, and they both have unique mechanics used to bypass "impossible" patterns.

GFW is "Yousei Daisensou ~ Touhou Sangetsusei (妖精大戦争 ~ 東方三月精)", so Danmaku Amanojaku is the first official game without Touhou in the title.

« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
Keine is a pretty surprising choice for this game. I wonder if she's connected to one of the items in some way? I can't think of what connection she would have, though.

Yuyuko might appear in the game due to her connection with one of the items (the ghost one, obviously), and I suppose we can hope by association that the other item owners will show up. So: Reimu, Aya, Yukari (please based ZUN), Yuyuko, Sukuna... for the nimble fabric, I'm actually thinking Seiga? Since becoming invincible seems something like her ability to 'pass through' walls (pass through walls of danmaku?), although obviously as far as we know that power is connected to her hairpin, not her floaty cloth thing,  It's a bit of a stretch, but I can't think of who else it would fit. The doll could be Alice or it could be Hina. The bomb is a total tossup for obvious reasons. With its connection to fireworks possibly... no, still mysterious.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »
It's possible it could belong to another new character, I mean new characters have been introduced in spin off games as well like Hatate.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »
The third Windows generation probably started with DDC, anyways. Also, what exactly is there to complain about it? I'm pretty sure this is just a one time thing. Hell, when you think about it, it suits Seija in the sense it's kind of the opposite of what we normally expect from the usual title naming scheme. :V
Huh, I never thought of it in that way. When you put like that, both of those things make sense. On a different note, I do hope there are new characters in here.

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2014, 02:31:01 AM »
-One- new character is reasonable to expect, along the lines of Hatate in Double Spoiler. But in a game like this, there may not be any.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

FlareDragon

• Gensokyo's Infernal Hellstorm
  • When will you come to Gensokyo, Satsuki Rin?
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:03 AM »
Seija Kijin as PC = ^W^ ^W^ ^W^
Epic yes, though I haven't finished either StB or DS yet (I'm at 8-* in StB atm). Can't wait >w<

Also, as far as the generations go,  I've always considered it to be PC-98 era (goes without saying), Windows Gen 1(6-8 + 9, 9.5), Gen 2 (10-12, 12.5) and Gen 3 (12.8 - [including 13 & 14]). The arcs would be slightly different, but I considered the generations as the period of time a particular engine/style is used
Normal 1CC's: SoEW, LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, GFW, TD, HM, DDC, ULiL, LoLK(PD), CtC |IaMP|
Hard 1CC's: EoSD, PCB, MoF, IN(B), TD, LoLK(PD), |???|
Lunatic 1CC's: None
Extra 1CC's: SoEW, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF(NB), SA, UFO, GFW, TD, DDC, CtC, LoLK, |???|

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:31 AM »

According to ZUN:
Gen 1: 2002 EoSD
Gen 2: 2007 MoF
Gen 3: 2013 DDC
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2014, 03:50:51 AM »
I'd like all of the Gen 1 games to be remade. Not by ZUN, but by the same person/team who made Fantastic Danmaku Festival. They did an excellent job remaking EoSD.

Seeing PCB and IN with modern graphics would be lovely. Remakes of the PC-98 games would also be really awesome, but that's dreaming too much. :V
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:52:44 AM by ☆ Synnae ☆ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2014, 04:07:03 AM »
So does that mean Keine in 14.3 will only be tangentially related to her version in IN, just like Yuuka and Alice were? :P

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »
Only if Keine gets a drastic outfit change.

I would be very amused if the three fairies appear and they use the same sprites from th128.
The size discrepancy in th125 was rather amusing.
But the th06 characters did get new sprites for th095, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Cirno did get a new portrait and a new sprite for th14, so I expect ZUN to redraw anyone who is too old.
Signature

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:59 AM »

According to ZUN:
Gen 1: 2002 EoSD
Gen 2: 2007 MoF
Gen 3: 2013 DDC
That's actually how I envision it as well actually :V pretty cool to see that he sees it that way.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:06 AM »
ZUN doesn't seem the type to reuse older generation portraits in the newer games. Plus I think he like to redraw them as he liked to remake older songs.

« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2014, 05:25:18 AM »
I dunno if the generation analogy really fits though.  Unlike PC-98, the latest "generation's" stuff such as DDC, print works, and this new game don't seem to be completely ignoring 95% of the characters from the prior generation.

Drake

« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2014, 06:07:25 AM »
From a continuity perspective and a works-written perspective it's how I've separated them as well. I wouldn't call it "generation" since it doesn't fit like that, but there was a pretty clear split with HM. Specifically I think it was more like SoPM that signaled the end of the arc, just as PMiSS signaled the end of pre-MoF.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:41 PM »
Well, start of a new "Story arc" would be more fitting for DDC, I think.  Although it's still not analogous because the cut off from PC-98 to Windows is a lot more than what I'd call a story arc change (IE, EoSD to PC-98 was a lot more than just a new story arc starting)

« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
Yeah, "story arc" is a better way to put it. And the way ZUN splits his games into them is just as I thought too.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
Maybe call the PC-98 stuff the 'Plausibility' story arc?  It's all stuff that can be considered possible to have happened, but might or might not have.  That'd cover ZUN's stance on canon regarding those games, plus still allow one to group it with the later Windows games instead of having to treat it like a separate thing if one doesn't want to.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »
ZUN: "Is it time to take out my sealed CD-R?"

The game is wrapping up. Going by last year's example, at most he'll do a final checkup, then it's burning the CD-R master disc, and sending it for mass production.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:30:50 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »
That was fast, but I guess he does have the engine, sprites, and a few other things that are already done before.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »
This game will probably be interesting, but now that I think about it, I feel like my body... isn't ready. I'm pretty sure I'll have A LOT of trouble trying to find the correct item to clear the respective spell card and stuff, so I'll probably need to check guides constantly. I already have enough trouble trying to use the ice correctly on GFW.

I prefer when shmups are traditional style, focused on dodging bullets only. When they're full of gimmicks I get rather turned off.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:01:04 AM by ☆ Synnae ☆ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥