Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 223636 times)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
14.7 would be logical if ZUN plans 2 games between the main series games, since .3/.5/.8 are multiples of 1/4 rounded to 1 decimal place, and .3/.7 are multiples of 1/3 rounded to 1 decimal place. I agree it's too early to assume how many other 14.x games there will be, though I think it's a safe assumption that this won't be the only 14.x.

On the topic of this "proficiency", I might as well mention a simple theory I thought of-- since a main and secondary item are listed, perhaps the main item is considered proficient while the secondary item is not. (This could be expressed by one being usable more times than the other, or by one being more powerful in some manner.)

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
I'm really excited for this game. StB and DS are great games and I expect this to be no different.

Looking back at those two games, we can also assume a few things - like the cast of characters. Both of these games included almost all characters that were newly introduced since the last game of this sort, so ISC will most likely have all characters from TD (Yuyuko), DDC (most confirmed already) and Kokoro. As there is one main game less than usual, I expect older characters to mix up the selection (Keine). She is fitting to team up in a stage with Kagerou. Prismrivers would fit the Tsukumos/Raiko (+ they never where in a StB-like game before). We can also expect all Players from TD/DDC so Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya and Youmu (most likely with Yuyuko?).
Other likely possibilities for me are other Tsukomogamis like Medicine or Kogasa (she was also in TD) and probably a new Final Boss like Hatate, as speculated by Seija herself.
Also Cirno as she also reappeared in DDC, i guess?

I also assume the Items Seija uses aren't necessarily stolen or realted to characters we know (while obviously inspired at points, like the umbrella and ying-yang orb) but instead are items similar to the cursed weapons in DDC. Seija probably gathered all or at least some of the other items in Gensokyo, that were affected by the Magic of the Mallet and is now using them to protect herself/fight back against the hatred of all of Gensokyo.
This also makes me think if we are entering into some sort of "Tool Arc", with some items like these falling in the wrong hands and causing incidents for the next few games, thought that's completely up in the air.

Totally looking forward to next month!

PS: Bloodthirsty Yin-Yang Orb? Don't remind me of HRtP, ZUN...
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Zil

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
On the topic of this "proficiency", I might as well mention a simple theory I thought of-- since a main and secondary item are listed, perhaps the main item is considered proficient while the secondary item is not. (This could be expressed by one being usable more times than the other, or by one being more powerful in some manner.)

I'm guessing proficiency and item level are the same thing. It seems to correspond to the number of cleared scenes. Strikes me as very questionable. I guess it won't make too much difference in the end though. It's just that clearing everything with everything will likely be a necessary precursor to doing any kind of optimization, and the early scenes might be broken by it.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
Maybe they (either ZUN or Tasofro) will do a 14.7 just to really throw us off. (probably not but it'd be funny) And if they do, I called it first.

For the 12.x games, the numbers 12.3 and 12.8 stands for 12.25 and 12.75, rounded up. There are three games between 12 and 13, so they are No. 12 & 1/4, 12 & 1/2 and 12 & 3/4.

Also see SWR, which was numbered 9.8 when first announced, standing for 9.75, i.e. between 9.5 and 10.

In this way, 14.3 can stand for either 14 & 1/4 or 14 & 1/3, and the next game may be either 14.5 or 14.7 (standing for 14 & 2/3). I'd say a HM expansion is basically guaranteed at this point, so it may very well be 14.8 or 14.7.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
I'm guessing proficiency and item level are the same thing. It seems to correspond to the number of cleared scenes.
That would be my guess, too. That, and attaining a certain item level for all the things unlocks someone/something, a la Double Spoiler.

I do wonder what "available count" is all about though.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
That would be my guess, too. That, and attaining a certain item level for all the things unlocks someone/something, a la Double Spoiler.

I do wonder what "available count" is all about though.
Maybe that's the number of times the item can be used during the fight? I pointed out earlier that it seemed like each item had a limited use.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:05 PM »
Available count is most likely how many times you can use that item in a single suffering (if that's the word we're going with in terms of describing the levels/scenes/spell cards/attacks/[insert alternate name for them here]). I personally hope that the available count is more dependent on each particular suffering, and that the generally more powerful items (like the Jizo Statue) have less uses compared to the less powerful items (like the camera).

CUT: What Yatakarasu said, really. :V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
If a HM Expansion is on the way... which characters would you like in it?
Mwahahahahha!

Tengukami

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Maybe that's the number of times the item can be used during the fight? I pointed out earlier that it seemed like each item had a limited use.
That would make sense. So you basically need to

a) choose well what 2 items you will use in any given boss fight (or spell card?)
b) use them to sufficient proficiency in order to unlock something/one
c) use them only for a limited number of times.

I don't think any new character is unlocked through a high Item Level, but I do think it's interesting that there's this balance between building the items up and doing so fairly evenly. I mean it makes sense, so you're not spamming each boss/spell card with the same trollpower over and over again.

Seija is a great character, for the way she enrages some and delights others. Personally I'm happy to see her get more attention. She's an interesting character with a lot of potential; borrowing from the tried-and-true Gensokyan tradition of new arrivals coming to fuck shit up, but considerably more ... fun. She's like if an edgy contrarian Redditor suddenly had magical powers.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
I talked about this briefly in hidden corners of IRC last night; I'm not a fan of Seija's new portrait. She looks too moe and not enough like a delightful asshole. The blush and partially closed eyes in particular make her look like she's just starting to daydream about sempai noticing her.

As for an HM expansion, I'm not sure what would or could be done with that. As incomplete as the game was mechanically for a while, I feel like it's pretty complete story-wise. I'm not sure who could be reasonably added, particularly with the faithish-based mechanic (I actively hope he doesn't add Moriyas because I don't want him to cave to the desires of the fanbase). Maybe Kasen? That's about it, though.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
I actively hope he doesn't add Moriyas because I don't want him to cave to the desires of the fanbase.
ZUN doesn't really consult the fanbase to begin with. If he and Tasofro go down the route of adding more characters involved in the faith war, then Moriyas would (to my delight) have priority, considering the complete lack of shinto group so far despite the game being *about* the war between three religions. Although the other groups were also pretty poorly represented so far too, with less than 1/3 of Myouren Temple residents taking action. Of course, if they make an expansion not connected storyline-wise to HM at all (like Hisoutensoku), then all bets are off.

The combat was simplified, but if you watch a lot of high level play in japanese tournaments it's actually pretty solid
Pardon me the slight offtop, but I would really love to know where to obtain replays from those. I cannot find a single 1.33 replay on the japanese wiki, only 1.31 stuff in tournament links.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:42:58 PM by Critz »

Tengukami

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
Also, sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the "Nickname" entry in the main screen all about?

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »
Maybe a default name for replays so you don't have to type in your name every time?

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Late to the party but

yesssssssss playable Seijaaaa It's like a dream come true :toot: :toot: :toot:

Looks like it's gonna be a StB-like game. Items sounds pretty broken like invincible time and stuff, but there'd probably be limitations on how they can be used to balance things out.

I wonder if patterns are supposed to be designed to be doable with any item choice or only a few for any given spell? The former would give the game greater replayability, the latter would probably result in more puzzle-like spells?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
Pardon me the slight offtop, but I would really love to know where to obtain replays from those. I cannot find a single 1.33 replay on the japanese wiki, only 1.31 stuff in tournament links.
Every month there's at least one tournament held and streamed on Nicovideo. The guys at #shinkirou usually grabs the replays and uploads them to the channel there, so I can give you a few if you want em. (I really love watching Ichirin play though, she seems really really good but always falls short in the grand finals against either Marisa or Mamizou rip)

Tengukami

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
Maybe a default name for replays so you don't have to type in your name every time?
This is what probably makes the most sense, but there's still a part of me hoping it means the 2hus address you by this nickname during pre-fight dialogue.

I wonder if patterns are supposed to be designed to be doable with any item choice or only a few for any given spell? The former would give the game greater replayability, the latter would probably result in more puzzle-like spells?
It would make sense if you couldn't "cheat" through every spellcard with the same item, especially as we see in the trailer that their uses are limited. Using different items for the same spellcards also offers its own possibilities. But overall it looks like there's a fair amount of flexibility in how you let Seija troll others.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Also, sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the "Nickname" entry in the main screen all about?

There will be an online scoreboard for this game and this is the name your result will be marked as. Don't forget, this game will be distributed digitally.

...Now imagine how much I will laugh if this actually happens.

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
No fanservice.

So no Seija using her powers to flip skirts eh?

cuc

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
ZUN updated his blog: http://kourindou.exblog.jp/21894661/

The Hakurei Shrine Regular Grand Festival will be held on May 11, and Shanghai Alice Gengakudan will be present again.

This time the game is:

Touhou Project 14.3
"Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card."

I've even made a trailer, which is something I seldom do. You can watch it here.

[Youtube Trailer]

Please watch the trailer to see what the game is about.
To tell the truth, I made it when I'm in the mood to try something, so it ends up as a strange experimental game.

If you are interested in a game full of personality like that, please come to Reitaisai and shake my hands.
Since the game is Amanojaku-esque, it is not a gentle game in a lot of ways (laugh)

So, there is still much development to be done.
Just in case, if some unexpected accident renders the game impossible to complete, I'm all prepared to put this game on hold.

That's it, see ya!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »
Right! This means I have to queue early for Reitaisai.

ZUN making a youtube trailer almost feels like he is taking the oversea more and more serious.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »
Apparently Seija has been learning from Marisa on how to steal things. Like Aya's camera.  :V

And basically this game is Seija being a massive troll towards people and nope.avi'ing 'impossible spellcards'. Also isn't she kinda living up to her 'weak beating the strong' thing in this game too?

No fanservice.

So no Seija using her powers to flip skirts eh?

I read it as 'No Mima or PC-98 characters'

Clearly the final boss must be Seiga because Seija vs Seiga.

Or perhaps Yukari simply for battle of the trolls. Plus Yukari could probobly troll Seija back by inverting controls. [Boarder of direction?]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:30:56 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
Huh, can't believe I missed this.

Looks interesting enough - though I hope it isn't as tough as DS was.......

« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Well, just curious since I've heard of this game so I went and asked Unabara, Head of Game Design of Tasofro, about it.
It pretty much goes like this in English:
"Hey, hey, Mr. Unabara. Now that 14.3 has come out, is 14.5 being developed now? :)"
And his reply: https://twitter.com/unabara/status/455994149741670400
Basically something like this:

However, he did tweet this.
"The Master Up for Reitaisai is done. This time will be a chaotic one too."

You know what that means? ;)

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »
I read it as 'No Mima or PC-98 characters'

I don't know why but i laughed... even though i would love to finally have Mima in a game (though i don't fangirl her i think it would be a nice addition and it would also finally SHUT UP all the choruses for having her show up!)

Or perhaps Yukari simply for battle of the trolls. Plus Yukari could probobly troll Seija back by inverting controls. [Boarder of direction?]

That would be awesome.... and Yukari can troll ANYONE to hell and back! The only difference is that Seija does so out of spite, Yukari for shit and giggles (and we love her for it) :D

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
Clearly the final boss must be Seiga because Seija vs Seiga.

Well... since on DS the final boss was a Tengu (just like Aya), I'm guessing the final boss of this game will be another Amanojaku, with an ability opposite to what Seija have. (But what could be opposite to reversing stuff) ?

That's just a rough guess, anyway.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

cuc

« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
However, he did tweet this.
"The Master Up for Reitaisai is done. This time will be a chaotic one too."

You know what that means? ;)
It might be another small-scale game, like Tasofro normally makes in parallel to their fighting games. They still have plenty of opportunities to release another fighting game this year.

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »
Probably. He won't get into details about it. But one can hope, at least I do.
Besides, a new game is still a new game, regardless if it's Touhou 14.5 or not. I'll still look forward to it either way.

By the way, cuc, what do you think of his first tweet?
That's what I think his reply means, but maybe there's some sort of clue there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:46:22 PM by monhan »

Tengukami

« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »
I don't know why but i laughed... even though i would love to finally have Mima in a game (though i don't fangirl her i think it would be a nice addition and it would also finally SHUT UP all the choruses for having her show up!)
You are a very generous person for believing this would silence them. If she appeared as a mid-boss, a final boss, an Extra boss, or even a PC, it still wouldn't be enough.

Well... since on DS the final boss was a Tengu (just like Aya), I'm guessing the final boss of this game will be another Amanojaku, with an ability opposite to what Seija have. (But what could be opposite to reversing stuff) ?

That's just a rough guess, anyway.
That's my feeling about this, too. Like, what if the silhouette on the jewel case just looks like Seija ... but is actually another (unlockable) amanojaku ! That would own. Not just for a new character, but also the resultant rage that would emerge from people who already hate Seija - in much the same way Aya haters lost their shit over Hatate.

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
If that happens I think I'd be getting out the popcorn and watching the two troll each other mattering how the other Amanojaku's powers would be in relation to Seija's...

« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
I actually get the same hunch since the translation of Seijas quote in-game - we should remember that in spellcard fights it is prohibited to produce an undodgeable danmaku pattern. If my suspicion is correct it MAY be another Amanojaku steering Seijas opponents from behind the scenes, say with the ability to 'violate' any rules or laws - quite fitting for an Amanojaku.