Author Topic: [Music] triangles remembers she has a clarinet again!  (Read 11739 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
[Music] triangles remembers she has a clarinet again!
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »
Oh hey look at that :toot:

I decided that to help me destress from work I ought to take up a hobby again so it's going to be like a therapy thing to do something I like to chillax.
...except when Audacity crashes and I lose an hour's worth of recording work  :fail:

Those of you keeping track at home should be able to tell I got a new mic!  I am now rocking a Shure Beta 58A which was one of the few mics I found that wasn't srsbiz pro $$$ that was recommended for woodwinds.  Still fiddling with my physical setup but I am very happy with it.  MJP could tell the difference in quality so that's saying a lot.

As to the musics, I lost my metronome/tuner hahaha so I took some liberties with the tempo.  Hey it's a solo piece I can do whatever I want :V
Also I hit like nearly every single key on the clarinet in this song and there sure are a lot of them so there's some clickclicks and weird pauses or lack of as I run out of alternate fingerings and fake my way through whoops

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: [Music] triangles remembers she has a clarinet again! Border of Life!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:06:01 AM »
Hereby requesting eventual recordings of full game soundtracks for sharing!  Listened to your Border of Life and Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird renditions, and they're making me want more.  =D
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:45 AM »
Pretty cool~

Did you learn this by ear, or was there sheet music to it?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »
So pretty, so lovely~ It does this song good. :3
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

triangles

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Thanks everyone :3

Did you learn this by ear, or was there sheet music to it?
I took piano sheet music I found linked on Youtube and rewrote it in a clarinet friendly range and rhythm and hit the transpose button :toot:  I am nowhere near talented enough to play by ear.  Even with sheet music I'd blank out and forget what key I was in sometimes ("what is this, a Gb?? ???")

I know a lot of Youtube instrument recordings are done by ear in one take, but I'd rather take the time to write out the music, record multiple takes and mix it accordingly so the final project sounds the best as it can be (because I can promise everyone that unlike the other songs I did, I NEVER played Border of Life that good in one shot :V)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Wow it does sound nicer

Now don't disappear for months before you record the next thing this time, will ya :3
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

triangles

Now don't disappear for months before you record the next thing this time, will ya :3

Whoops!  (I blame the Wobbleaids for that)
But I recovered enough to spend the evening working on this!  For some reason I didn't want to play any Bb or Eb so it took longer than it should have.  Also wobbleaids :V

toot-toot all aboard next stop the nuclear reactor

I think this is my best arrangement/performance yet despite one glaring mistake in forgetting a harmony line for few measures I think  :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail: :fail:.

zeruna

• It's zeruna!
  • Not Zeruna!
Uwa! You did this solo!? It's amazing! Sounds wonderful compared to other people!

Can we request songs from here?

triangles

Thanks!  It was just me and about 3 hours of recording and rerecording until I nailed it.  I'd rather take the time to get it to sound the best I can rather than rush it out on a web cam with crappy sound quality.

Is there a song in particular you'd like?  I am open to suggestions, and that's why I did Shanghai Teahouse :V

Full disclosure - some songs are flat out ridiculous on a clarinet at my skill level.  I've already arranged Desire Drive and was practicing that before I got sick, though I don't think I'll ever be able to get that first part before the melody kicks in up to my standards so I might try playing over a piano track to get around that.   There's a few others I've been tossing around, but never finished arranging.

I have some Final Fantasy stuff that I'll probably crank out soon just because they're pretty easy (famous last words)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
do night of nights at the normal bpm
                                                                                   .

zeruna

• It's zeruna!
  • Not Zeruna!
Your welcome! xD

If it doesn't cause any trouble, then I'd like The Road of Misfortune God ~ Dark Road a.k.a. MoF stage 2 theme. But you can take your time since I'm VERY patient and wouldn't want to use up most of your time.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
I am open to suggestions
Ohohoho, then you'll be getting a nice hefty list from me in addition to any other requests you get from others...  Not sure what would count as crazy, so I'm just gonna list stuff and you can pick some, all, or none based on what you think you can get to your desired quality.
-Mysterious Mountain(MoF Stage 4 Aya theme)
-Fate of Sixty Years(PoFV Shikieiki theme)[This one's probably a bit/a lot much, haha.]
-Cosmic Mind(UFO Stage 6 Byakuren theme)
-and lastly, Touhou-wise...Candid Friend(MoF Stage 3 Nitori theme)!

Since you mentioned Final Fantasy as well, here's one request in that group as well.
-FF4 boss theme

Apologies for the swarm of requests, but...figured it's better to get a bunch out now rather than ask one after the other, this way you've got plenty of things to pick from if you don't want to do one/more/all of them.  =p
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

triangles

Your welcome! xD

If it doesn't cause any trouble, then I'd like The Road of Misfortune God ~ Dark Road a.k.a. MoF stage 2 theme. But you can take your time since I'm VERY patient and wouldn't want to use up most of your time.

This was actually something I've been wanting to do for a while so I definitely can do it!

more requests!

I actually had arranged Candid Friend since I like it more than the stage theme but at the time I couldn't play the final key ahhh all the sharps.  I'd want to modify it so it's a proper 2 parts and not the 1.5 parts it is now.  I also love FF4 boss theme but that would be tricky to arrange I might send it to my sister since she's actually a 3/4 music major.

OverCoat

• Don't think. Feel, and you'll be tanasinn.
    • OverCoat Music
I arranged an orchestral Hellfire Mantle for Touhou Mecha  :getdown: I should've had you record a part for me :D It'd beat the crappy QLSO samples I have to deal with

anyway, nice work

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
do the pirates of the caribbean theme

I love those movies
                                                                                   .

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
do the pirates of the caribbean theme

and mix it with captain murasa   :derp:

triangles

I've never seen the movie  ???

Go arrange it and then maybe I can do it :V

Grimarg

I'll se what I can do :V

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
I've never seen the movie  ???
then go see them, they're great

As long as you're feeling good anyway
                                                                                   .

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
toot-toot all aboard next stop the nuclear reactor

Well done on harmonizing those parts! The performance itself is very simple, but very pleasant to hear.

As for suggestions, the more I look at The Eternal Steam Engine, the more I feel that it fits the clarinet. The main melody is certainly within your level, and though the cadenza-like segment at the middle gives you three flats and some runs, I think its very manageable. The only thing that might hold you back is playing those high G's, but you can always drop off an octave or get around it otherwise. =P

Plus, everybody loves The Eternal Steam Engine!

Grimarg

Well done on harmonizing those parts! The performance itself is very simple, but very pleasant to hear.

As for suggestions, the more I look at The Eternal Steam Engine, the more I feel that it fits the clarinet. The main melody is certainly within your level, and though the cadenza-like segment at the middle gives you three flats and some runs, I think its very manageable. The only thing that might hold you back is playing those high G's, but you can always drop off an octave or get around it otherwise. =P

Plus, everybody loves The Eternal Steam Engine!

* The Duke teaspits.

I'm doing an aweful arrange of that same song  :o

triangles

Ohoho another song so soon? Here it is! (yes I know I had an extra note in the second bar)

This is groundbreaking for me as it is:
1) A Final Fantasy piece!
2) I played just the melody line then mixed it with everything else from a midi!

It took a lot longer than the usual Youtube instrumentalist "play over a midi/mp3 and call it a day" method since I mixed it after the fact and could adjust levels and avoided really terrible static garbage, but I'm quite happy with the results. It's a ridiculously easy piece I was able to pretty much sightread and nailed it in two takes.  I've been feeling pretty sick lately and haven't had the stamina to record the more complicated pieces I've been working on, so something simple was good to get my confidence and mood up.

triangles

Re: [Music] triangles remembers she has a clarinet again!
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
:toot: Another Madoka song oh boy! :toot:

Silly wobble sickness still is taking a toll on my stamina, so I'm trying to focus on simple pieces in the meantime (alas, this cuts out a lot of Touhou things)  Hey it's a step up in complexity from the last thing though right?

I goofed a few times and I was having a lot of trouble getting the mix to line up correctly and had to do all sorts of little tweaks and it's still off in a few spots oh well!

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
I'm not familiar with the source material unfortunately, but it does sound nice, in an almost religious way~ The FF5 song is more my cup of tea, though a bit simple. Keep it up, I hope to hear some wonderful things from you, like a 7 instrument harmonized masterpiece =O

Merp

welcome to my youtube 2hu playlist!
Assemblage of egregious drama queens

Pixiv  Deviantart  Livestream  Art Thread

triangles

Yo I'm allowed to bump my own zombie threads right?
Because I tooted another thing yesterday oh boy oh boy dat's some Super Mario RPG stuff.  It's great when it's actually a clarinet in the original piece, though that didn't stop them for including a note that just flat out doesn't exist unless you played the piece up an octave on a bass clarinet. 

A problem I had was I'm too much of a perfectionist, splicing together half a dozen (or more) takes to get it just right and thus I got frustrated with half recorded stuff and gave up.  Using the webcam forces me to just roll with it and maybe I'll get over my anxiety = more uploads, cause I have a whole bunch of stuff arranged that's just been sitting there.  Granted being ill and ~real life~ has gotten in the way, but I've got two more things printed and practicing.  And I gotta be honest, I missed my clarinet  :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
Ffs triangles play more ffs

That was good. I'm no Mario fan but that was good.
                                                                                   .

triangles

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »
Holy crap I hit 10,000 views today, let's celebrate with TWO uploads :toot:

FF6 - Gau's Theme
Wild ARMs - Into The Wilderness (opening)

I'm not 100% satisfied with my performance on either (moreso annoyed with Gau's theme) BUT I promised myself to stop being a nitpicky 2nd guessing buttface about these things and just play and record :V

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:42 AM »
WILD ARMSSSSSSSS

My best friend and I would whistle that all the time~ You've done it justice.

triangles

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
YES WILD ARMS BEST ARMS

Funny thing is, I absolutely cannot whistle  :derp: