Author Topic: Touhou ~ The Awakening Power ~ Artists needed!  (Read 4565 times)

ReimuHakurei

Touhou ~ The Awakening Power ~ Artists needed!
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I deiced to make a visual novel after reading the legendary "The Maidens End Illusion" on YouTube! God reading that was awesome and hearing the sad music nearly made me shed manly tears and especially at the end with Reimu and Marisa.

So that story inspired me to make a visual novel of Touhou Project about about an mysterious girl with an unusual power.

I am looking for some artists that can do character designs (facial expressions, movement of the body etc) and menu title. I still seem to suck at drawing manga/anime.

The characters involved.

Main characters:
Reimu (main female lead)
Yuki (girl with unusual power ~ main character).
Marisa (Main character)
Sakuya (main character)
Sanae (Main character)
Youmu (main character)

Support characters:
Patchouli (support character)
Aya (support character)
Yukari (support character)
Yuyuko (support character)
Erin (support character)
Reisen (support character)
Rinnosuke (Support character)

Unimportant characters:
Kaguya (unimportant character)
Remilia (unimportant character)
Flandre (unimportant character)

Comic Relief characters:
Cirno (comic relief character)
China (comic relief character)
Tewi (comic relief character)
Suwako (comic relief)
Kanako (comic relief)

I'm using the program Novelty.

Once this game is made your in for a real good ending. =D

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: Touhou ~ The Awakening Power ~ Artists needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
I'm not much of a VN player but I'd try one if it looks interesting. Don't just look here for an artist, I'm not sure how much luck you'll have.

ReimuHakurei

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
I'm not much of a VN player but I'd try one if it looks interesting. Don't just look here for an artist, I'm not sure how much luck you'll have.

Ah, well I am happy your interested in the game (if it does turn out to be interesting) I am making and I will keep that in mind after 19 people viewing and you being the 20th person that comments and seeing no luck yet. xD

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
If you're looking for artists, it's best to put up a request in the Alice's Art Atelier board.
For now, even though you don't have any artists, see if you can take some placeholder images and show us a screenshot or something! Your chances of recruiting people will improve if you can show people you're already getting stuff done.

Imosa

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »
Don't be discouraged by a low post to view ratio. People aren't just going to jump on your idea. I like deviations from the standard bottom up shooter so I'll keep up with your thread.

Kracko Cloud, makes a good point. You really want to show that your trying to getting some work done or people aren't going to want to help you. I'm not sure, I guess if your writing a SUPER dense VN, every screenshot might be spoiler or something. I'm not sure if Alice's Art Atelier is reserved for people who actually post art though. I figure that if people want to help out with a game they'd come here. Check on it, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:32:10 AM by Imosa »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
For now, even though you don't have any artists, see if you can take some placeholder images and show us a screenshot or something! Your chances of recruiting people will improve if you can show people you're already getting stuff done.
This.

I've worked on many projects and this is a lesson that needs to be learned, sadly. To you, your idea sounds awesome - why wouldn't it, it's your idea after all! But unfortunately everyone has ideas, and to someone else, this probably isn't any more special than the thousands of others floating around. Without something to prove yours is actually going somewhere it's hard to get excited about it. On the other hand simply having a mere placeholder-filled image to toss around can be enough to get people to start paying attention. :)

That aside, the lack of artists shouldn't stop you from getting things done. Even if your artwork comes out ZUN-level, if your story's really good that's probably what people will remember most about the game. You can always look for someone to "upgrade" the graphics later on and give things a more polished feel if you feel they need it. I'm pretty sure people don't expect AAA-quality graphics in an indie game. ;)

Anyhow. Your game sounds like it could be really interesting, IMO. Lookin' forward to a demo once things get there.

Latest works
The Strongest

ReimuHakurei

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »
If you're looking for artists, it's best to put up a request in the Alice's Art Atelier board.

Thank you very much for the advice and I will do. ;D

ReimuHakurei

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
This.

I've worked on many projects and this is a lesson that needs to be learned, sadly. To you, your idea sounds awesome - why wouldn't it, it's your idea after all! But unfortunately everyone has ideas, and to someone else, this probably isn't any more special than the thousands of others floating around. Without something to prove yours is actually going somewhere it's hard to get excited about it. On the other hand simply having a mere placeholder-filled image to toss around can be enough to get people to start paying attention. :)

That aside, the lack of artists shouldn't stop you from getting things done. Even if your artwork comes out ZUN-level, if your story's really good that's probably what people will remember most about the game. You can always look for someone to "upgrade" the graphics later on and give things a more polished feel if you feel they need it. I'm pretty sure people don't expect AAA-quality graphics in an indie game. ;)

Anyhow. Your game sounds like it could be really interesting, IMO. Lookin' forward to a demo once things get there.

Thank you very much, I am glad your interested in the visual novel I am making aswell I cannot wait to send it out but I will post some screenshots of it soon (here and in the other section to gain artists to help out). lD

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »

Just like EthanSilver said, even if the art isn't what you want, it can be improved later. And I agree that the story is what you remember most.

That aside, how far are you with the development and the story. Ideas are simple, making them reality is harder. Also, If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of the premise of the story (that's what gets my interest in most cases~). I always enjoy a good story, so I'll support you all the way. I look forward to the completed work.

ReimuHakurei

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
Just like EthanSilver said, even if the art isn't what you want, it can be improved later. And I agree that the story is what you remember most.

That aside, how far are you with the development and the story. Ideas are simple, making them reality is harder. Also, If you don't mind, could you give a brief summary of the premise of the story (that's what gets my interest in most cases~). I always enjoy a good story, so I'll support you all the way. I look forward to the completed work.

I have not got that far into the development yet and the development of the VN will be put on hold to the 11th ~ 18th of Aug as I will be going on holiday then with my dad and thank you for taking interest in the game I am making! =D

Story:

A villager girl named, Yuki arme, was born with an unusual power but every generation one of the daughters in the Silver Tiger clan is born with an unusual power to protect themselves from any danger of yokai or man but the power Yuki was born with is very special and very dangerous.

Yuki's parents kept this a secret from the other villagers and the head villager chief but on a fateful day and night when Yuki turned 15 years old the head villager chief founded out and killed Yuki's parents and ordered the other villagers to hunt down Yuki.

Yuki managed to escape but she went to an unknown place she had never heard of before called Gensokyo and now is trying to start a new life here.

despite about "Trying to start a new life here" well play the game and you will find out. =D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:20:42 PM by ReimuHakurei »

Imosa

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »
scheduling and plot

more stuff
Just to let you know, there is a designated horizontal divider
Code: [Select]
[hr]It's the button with the double arrow next to bullets and numbered list.

What you've got is a start and I'm guessing you've got some more stuff figured out including an ending. Keep hammering it down I guess.
Why "Despite the "trying a new life here" your in for a real good ending". I don't see how "trying a new life here" would lead to a boring ending. Maybe that's a typo in which case... you should fix that if you want to be a writer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:24:50 AM by Imosa »

ReimuHakurei

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
Just to let you know, there is a designated horizontal divider
Code: [Select]
[hr]It's the button with the double arrow next to bullets and numbered list.

What you've got is a start and I'm guessing you've got some more stuff figured out including an ending. Keep hammering it down I guess.
Why "Despite the "trying a new life here" your in for a real good ending". I don't see how "trying a new life here" would lead to a boring ending. Maybe that's a typo in which case... you should fix that if you want to be a writer.

Thanks! =D True putting  "despite" "trying to start a new life here" wouldn't lead to a boring ending but what I meant by "despite" well you have to play the game to find out xD

The development of the game is going well then I thought, I have drawn some backgrounds and characters because what people said above "if the art isn't what you want, it can be improved later."  and yes it's true that the story of the game is remembered the most! ;D

I will be scanning the pictures in the computer soon and will be uploading and putting them on here so everyone can see. Though I still wondering about the new character I will be making....

If her hair should be white, black or dark brown. xD
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:23:03 PM by ReimuHakurei »

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
I shall now express interest in helping you with the art, but I don't have any samples to show you right now.

Just to clarify, though, End of Maiden's Illusion just inspired you to make this, right? It doesn't have anything else to do with this VN you're planning?

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."