Author Topic: [Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Arrangement  (Read 2361 times)

[Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Arrangement
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »
I finally got my East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (Gold) software installed.

I remastered an old arrangement to practice a little with the new software.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkoRRjr5-Y
As stated in the video description, the arrangement itself is not mine. But I did transcribe it myself.

The current software that I use is Reaper 4 for overall editing, Anvil Studio as a cheap and quick midi sequencer (lol) and of course, EWQLSO Gold.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:10:45 PM by iceerules »

OverCoat

• Don't think. Feel, and you'll be tanasinn.
    • OverCoat Music
Re: [Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Orchestrated Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
You may have nicer samples, but it's pretty clear this is a midi import from anvil studio. QLSO Gold has all those nice articulations and things you can use to make the instrumentation sound much less flat. I'm a little jealous, all I have is Silver :)

Anyway, now that you have the nice tools, you can practice just simply using Reaper to sequence [I like its piano roll!], and composing using the Gold samples directly, which should give you much more flexibility in making an orchestral composition sound realistic.

As for the arrangement itself, it's nice, but the awkward progression from 0:40 to 0:50, and the repeating of that later on, just sounds very bad. It does not resolve right and sounds like a mistake which the orchestra tries to correct by moving abruptly to the next section :) Also, the snare drum gets pretty tiring. I have to tell myself this as well - it's not rock music, the drums don't go the whole time. Unless it's Bolero... but Ravel was a badass so whatevs.

Akitake

• MW
  • arrivederci~
    • PIXIV
Re: [Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Orchestrated Arrangement
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »
Some advice from a music major: Your form is not there for an orchestral piece, and there is clear dissonance on your sustained chords, so it might be good if you consult a guide on proper/suitable chordal progressions. There is a somewhat stagnant progression used throughout. You might want to use more dynamics for build-ups, and abrupt changes are not advised if you do not have a constant motif throughout. Too many da capos can stagnate the music.

I would recommend using Finale/other musical notation software to actually compose/re-arrange first.

Re: [Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Arrangement
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
Overcoat,
You are absolutely correct, haha.
I imported it directly from Anvil Studio. I definitely need to start relying more on Reaper and less on Anvil Studio.
I knew I shouldn't have repeated it. And just like the arrangement itself, the snares are rather... Repetitive, huh?

And yes, Bolero is an amazing piece!

YuuHime,
Thanks for the insight, I'll look into a guide for chord progressions.
And I'll keep in mind about dynamics and the repeats.
I had a trial version of Sibelius 7 some time ago and loved it... And then the trial expired. lol
I was actually debating whether to purchase Sibelius 7 before purchasing EWQLSO Gold, but the latter was on sale, so I went with that.

By the way, what exactly constitutes an orchestral piece? I always figured if it has a set of classical instruments, then it is orchestrated. Is it because of the lacking motif?
If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not exactly an expert in music theory or music in general. lol

This is great, I honestly never expected replies like this.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:17:55 PM by iceerules »

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
Re: [Music] Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye Arrangement
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, as like you, I have no knowledge of musical theory or classical music in general xD But coming from a casual listener of the genre, this is some great sounding stuff. Hope to hear more from ya.