Author Topic: [Art] Aoshi Thread II - The "Coming Up With Thread Names is Difficult" Edition  (Read 62794 times)

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
Gotta make it the motto of AAA.
:colonveeplusalpha:

I've been in a horrible combination of too busy/really lazy lately. (I've been meaning to bump my birthday thread with the rest of the requests today PLEASE FORGIVE ME)

I'll uh, post some stuff here too later I guess
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
...Took me long enough to notice the fluff ._.

I still love how that turned out; one of those 'if you don't look close enough, you may miss it' moments. It's why I love coming up with ideas and scenes like that, and love people like Aoshi who can bring that idea to life~ <3

And also, don't worry yourself too much, Aoshi. Take your time~ *hugs*

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
(I've been meaning to bump my birthday thread with the rest of the requests today PLEASE FORGIVE ME)
I've been in a horrible combination of too busy/really lazy lately
:colonveeplusalpha::colonveeplusalpha::colonveeplusalpha:
I feel you
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Aoshi-shi

haha but really

I should probably update

Another Kancolle related piece I'm in the middle of inking. I sort of went overboard with the water droplets by her foot so I might try to cover some of it up whenever I get to the watercoloring part.

An environment for a class project. Might possibly ink later.
Another one I'm working on at the moment.

NEW TOUHOUUU YEAHHHHHH
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:54:02 AM by Aoshi-shi »
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: Shimakaze
So energetic.  Go, Rensouhou-chan~! 
Spoiler:
and so secondary in the anime it's sad, at least in the first couple eps from what I recall; havent finished it

Re: environ 1
Holy crap the detail.  Looks very lonely there though.

Re: environ 2
The little menu thingies in the holder on the end of the table being out of alignment's a nice touch; I don't think they're EVER lined up right when one sees em...unless that's how they're supposed to be for visibility, I dunno.  Looks like a nice place for a meal with family and/or friends though in any case.

Re: new Touhou
Way to make me have to edit my post, Aoshiiiii...!  Anyway two thoughts.  1:  Geez, gotta go fast much?  Not even a day and you've already got art for her.  2:  ...well, what else can I say?  Crazy good work as usual.  Loving the flowingness of the cape, though I also liek everything else so *shrug*
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:58:35 AM by Jq1790 »
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Aoshi-shi

I was going to bump this before I went home but I forgot :V

I made a cover for Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation as one of my final projects. Here's the thumbnails: 1 2 3

I liked 1 the best so I went with that. Working on the scenery some more.

Working on the scenery even more

Penciled version

Final inked version (Using a dip pen for this was quite fun!)
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Aoshi-shi

Practicing with my tablet a bit.

I also wanted to at least have some sort of background, although I'm not sure if it completely matches with Benben or not.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Mеа

• catnapping
I also wanted to at least have some sort of background, although I'm not sure if it completely matches with Benben or not.
Not very magical, or stormy. Or magical storm-y.

Aoshi-shi

Not very magical, or stormy. Or magical storm-y.

We must go magical-er. Stormier. Magical stormier???

Trying to get more background practice in. Redid an old drawing from a while ago, here's the old one for reference.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Trying to get more background practice in.
Woah, this is great!
The color of the skin doesn't seem to work with the lighting of the background, but this is still way amazing! Especially envious of your ability to draw legs and feet.

Aoshi-shi

Woah, this is great!
The color of the skin doesn't seem to work with the lighting of the background, but this is still way amazing! Especially envious of your ability to draw legs and feet.

Oh? What seems to not work? Too much blue in the skin tone? I'm still pretty new to how local color changes under different lighting conditions so any tips or advice would be great!

Testing something out

WIP of Ringo (I really like her theme)
Bonus value study (Her right arm looks funky now that I look at it so I'm going to change it later.)
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
I'm not sure how well I can articulate, since I'm more novice than you. It could just be that the background is faded, while Tewi's pretty bright, and that makes her feel out of place? You could try darkening and muting the colors some, but I can't guarantee that would be the fix.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Trees by themselves suggest a cloudy sky at dusk. They are lit so poorly that we get to see a specular reflection of the sky on the sides of their trunks.
Tewi, on the other hand, is well lit from all sides, like it's still a little past noon.

I'm still pretty new to how local color changes under different lighting conditions so any tips or advice would be great!
Maybe not so useful, as it's an experimental idea I thought of only about a week ago myself; in the last two drawings I first dealt with pure lightning - filled a layer with some dark color for shadows, then put light patches here and there - and only then colored it on another layer, which was set to multiply, to grossly simulate how the light works.
...I guess you'd understand better if I just showed this.
To show something shiny (like hair), I imagine adding another pair of intensity*color layers specifically for glares, and setting them to "screen" with diffuse should work. (picking colors would be completely another story then though)
You can also add a pure additive layer for something that shines on their own.

So, basically, I simulate a Cel shader with brushes and pens. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:43:37 PM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Aoshi-shi

I'm always motivated by new Touhous. (Spoilers)

Since it's two in the morning I guess I'll finish this later
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Aoshi-shi

I'm going to let this go before this goes from extreme turd polishing to super ultra turd polishing.

I suppose I got a little too ambitious with the background. Fun to play around with, though!
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
I still think it looks pretty good, I like how you had the trees gradient into the background, it's a nice touch.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
Re: [Art] Aoshi Thread II - The "Coming Up With Thread Names is Difficult" Edition
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
That's pretty nice. Same problem as with Tewi though; She's lit way differently than the background. If you had a glowing fairy floating in front of her it would look alright, and explain her expression.
The moon really doesn't shine (well, reflect) very brightly, so it would never go to full brightness like on her skin and white ears. The things the light hit are only perceived as brighter because what isn't hit is completely dark (as light tend to work).
Check out Futon's works, he's a master of playing with darkness (character galleries in the side menu). I really like the spooky side of Gensokyo, so it's worth exploring.

Re: [Art] Aoshi Thread II - The "Coming Up With Thread Names is Difficult" Edition
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/xBKw2xa.png

This is my take on the thing.

I think ragathol has a good point about the moon, but i'm not clever enough to figure out the lighting, so handwaved it as light from the top right of the canvas. I'm also pretty sure I worked in too red of a hue, but as I said, I'm not clever.

A great problem I have is how you've drawn and coloured her face. I never liked the proportions you used; they are too far apart and the cheek bone . And it's worse because you're trying to shade realistically on a stylised piece of work. The eyes are flat, and trying to colour in a tiny pin prick of a nose doesn't work too well. I went in and fixed the proportions, rounded the eyes proper and gave an actual nose that is easier to shade.  Other fixes include softening some of the shadows (the neck for example), fixing the stomach and hip area and thinning the calves.

In the end, it'll be best if you revised on the form of the human body. If what i'm doing to the face doesn't please you, then you'll probably do well copying anime figurines.

I don't know if this paintover will do any good, or if it's any good, but may as well.

Aoshi-shi

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
That's pretty nice. Same problem as with Tewi though; She's lit way differently than the background. If you had a glowing fairy floating in front of her it would look alright, and explain her expression.
The moon really doesn't shine (well, reflect) very brightly, so it would never go to full brightness like on her skin and white ears. The things the light hit are only perceived as brighter because what isn't hit is completely dark (as light tend to work).
Check out Futon's works, he's a master of playing with darkness (character galleries in the side menu). I really like the spooky side of Gensokyo, so it's worth exploring.

Thanks! I'll try to be more careful about this kind of lighting in the future.
I remember seeing a few of Futon's Yukari pics floating around a while ago so it's nice to finally put a name to the art.

http://i.imgur.com/xBKw2xa.png

This is my take on the thing.

I think ragathol has a good point about the moon, but i'm not clever enough to figure out the lighting, so handwaved it as light from the top right of the canvas. I'm also pretty sure I worked in too red of a hue, but as I said, I'm not clever.

A great problem I have is how you've drawn and coloured her face. I never liked the proportions you used; they are too far apart and the cheek bone . And it's worse because you're trying to shade realistically on a stylised piece of work. The eyes are flat, and trying to colour in a tiny pin prick of a nose doesn't work too well. I went in and fixed the proportions, rounded the eyes proper and gave an actual nose that is easier to shade.  Other fixes include softening some of the shadows (the neck for example), fixing the stomach and hip area and thinning the calves.

In the end, it'll be best if you revised on the form of the human body. If what i'm doing to the face doesn't please you, then you'll probably do well copying anime figurines.

I don't know if this paintover will do any good, or if it's any good, but may as well.

To me the face - especially the nose - looks like an improvement (which probably means that I need to care more about the effort of such things). Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
A quick little cheat. It may not be correct moonlight, but at least it makes it blend together a little more. Just make a colored mask and set it to Multiply.
Like in terrorism, in digital art the end justifies the means.

Aoshi-shi

A quick little cheat. It may not be correct moonlight, but at least it makes it blend together a little more. Just make a colored mask and set it to Multiply.
Like in terrorism, in digital art the end justifies the means.

Thanks!

Some quick sketches from a while back: 1 2 3

On a different note -

I feel like I've been pretty high-strung for the longest time, and my work seems to be suffering because of it. ...idk I feel like I've trapped myself in this mindset that whenever I put pencil to paper a finished product needs to come out of it. For some reason I can't just leave some drawings as just a sketch?? It's pretty dumb of me, and I'm putting all sorts of imaginary pressure on myself to make "good" work.
Lately I've been trying to get myself out of this rut by doing some small and quick sketches in my free time. They look pretty bad, but I'm fine with it; I think I would be a lot better off if I just went "lol, what is that?" and just start a brand new sketch instead of trying to salvage and painstakingly refine it.

At least, that's what I think.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Mеа

• catnapping
Some quick sketches from a while back: 2
Is that a CCS reference I see?

Jq1790

I agree with your approach 100%, Aoshi; perhaps trying just some short 10-15 min timed sketches or something would be good as a way to not even leave yourself the OPTION to get super involved with them?

Aoshi-shi

Is that a CCS reference I see?
Oh, is that where that meme came from?  :derp:

Forgot about this today, but I did a quick ASakuya as a (day late) start of Inktober. I'll do my best to do one everyday. o7
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:04:15 AM by Aoshi-shi »
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Aoshi-shi

Oct. 3: Bountiful Harvests! (How do I anatomy again?)
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Aoshi-shi

It's not like I forgot to update or anything nuh uh nooooo. (Plus I figured that updating every week or so would be better then spamming my thread everyday.)

Oct 3 - Scanned in ACeres
Oct 4 - Wanted to draw some more Muhyo and Roji art
Oct 5 - More Muhyo
Oct 6 - Junko. I ran out of ink before I could start on her dress, but it gave me an opportunity to play with my brush pen.
Oct 7 - Doremy
Oct 8 - Reisen
Oct 9 - Yuyuko.

Unfortunately I fell behind because of midterms (I have the 12th-today to catch up on), hopefully I can get caught up; these are really fun to do!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:13:35 AM by Aoshi-shi »
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Jq1790

Oct 6 - Junko. I ran out of ink before I could start on her dress, but it gave me an opportunity to play with my brush pen.
This is a REALLY neat effect you have going on there.

Mеа

• catnapping
Agreeing with JQ here, that Junko looks awesome. If that's my 2nd, then that Reisen is my #01 favorite. I love her look.

Oct. 3: Bountiful Harvests! (How do I anatomy again?)

she doesn't look very pleased about that apple

Jq1790

You'd probably be upset with fruit growing off of you too!

Alternatively, maybe she prefers lemons or oranges or something?