Author Topic: Shoot the Bullet English Patch Release!  (Read 76978 times)

drywall

• yare yare daze
Shoot the Bullet English Patch Release!
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Get the latest version here: Download

Now with actual hosting!  Big thanks to Hakkai for the use of his server!

v1.1 EDIT: A couple days ago I put up a new version but have been too busy/lazy to comment about it.  Basically it fixes some more typos/translation stuff, an install bug, and will now use the same icon for the patched version as the patch itself (with the E).  I also included a note in the readme about the problems installing on Vista when theres Unicode in the install path.  If you decide to upgrade from a previously patched version, make sure to uncheck "Copy Unpatched Data" if you don't want to overwrite any progress you've made.  If no one has any huge problems with it, this should be the final version.  And I mean it this time.

v1.03 EDIT: New version ready, it's highly recommend you upgrade.  Here's some new features that have been added:
* Patched StB will now use its own copies of scoreth095.dat and the bestshot files.  Subsequently, the patch now makes it optional to copy over your old clear/bestshot data.
* Spellcard titles displayed on the bestshot pictures has been reenabled.  Note that if you pull in bestshots from the unpatched version, these titles will be mojibake until they are overwritten in the patched version.
* Various typos have been corrected
* Patch version number is now displayed on the title screen

Sorry for all the updates, hopefully this will be the last for reals this time.

v1.02 EDIT: New version removes the verification step that was giving some people problems, now only the exe is verified.  Since this should resolve this issue, the option to turn off verification has been removed.  Also the "overwrited" line has been changed to "overwritten".  Note: if you want to rerun the patch and you're running on Vista, it's recommended you manually delete the old patch files (th095e.exe, th095e.dat, and custom_e.exe) so you don't hit any permission errors.

v1.01 EDIT: Thanks for the help so far everyone.  If you've already managed to patch your game successfully don't worry about getting this update.  This update includes some fixes for some of the issues people have been seeing, primarily now the patch can handle Unicode in installation paths.  Also a box has been added to toggle the installation verification functionality.  Those of you who have been hitting this issue, try running without it and see if the patched game runs alright.  If so I may just remove the verification altogether.  If the patched game doesn't work, try running the patch again with the verification on and now it should tell you what file failed the verification.  Post that here and I can start looking into it.

The patch has had some preliminary testing but I'd say it's still in the beta stage, so if you run into any issues OR you're able to patch successfully, let me know in this thread.  Also if you're running on a non-XP version of Windows please include that info since the majority of my testing has been on XP, though I think it should work fine on other versions.  If you're running Vista be sure to check the readme for special instructions.

Other then that I hope you enjoy the translation.

edit: Thanks for the sticky <3
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:24:23 AM by drywall »

Re: Shoot the Bullet English Patch Release!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
Problems (running on XP):

The CustomE window is tiny. Like, ridiculously tiny. Like, the size of my avatar tiny.

The English .exe disappears as the patch finishes installing, so I can never open it.

Edit: it apparently can't verify I'm patched to 1.02. I'll try repatching.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:32:17 PM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
o/

Excellent. I'll patch it tonight and see what happens.

Gpop

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Will patch when I get my laptop back from my fapping father -_-.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Okay, so I repatched my game and didn't work.
I then found the .rar file, unzipped it to a totally different folder, downloaded the patch anew from Zun's site, patched THAT version, then ran your patch.

Same error, it can't verify that I'm running the correct version of the game.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
Everythings working perfectly. Very well done~
To bad I've not much to do except recapping every spell... and listening to my friend having the opposite effect - getting killed by every spell~
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Emarrel

• Something of pokeballs
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »
Running XP. After Patching I get this when I try to run th095e.exe:

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
It seems to be running fine so far. Good job~
However...
1. Looks like it only shows the spellcard's name once, when you start a scene. If you die and retry, it doesn't show it anymore.
2. I cleared this spellcard (whoa) on the English patch, then I went back to the original game to test more stuff. The name's gone on the Japanese version too.

I'm running XP, by the way.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Yikes, problems abound? I hope they get fixed...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »
It works just fine for me and my Vista PC. So far i haven't encountered any trouble.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »

Yikes, problems abound? I hope they get fixed...

Wow no kidding, but I sorta expected this to be the case...
I'll try to field what I can right now.

The CustomE window is tiny. Like, ridiculously tiny. Like, the size of my avatar tiny.

The original custom.exe is pretty tiny for me and I run 1024x768 (yeah still).  custom_e.exe is significantly larger on my machine so I'm not really sure whats going on there.  All I did with custom.exe was open it in reshacker and translate the Japanese to make custom_e.exe, so if the window size is being held over from the original then that's just how it is.  I can try and look into resizing it once I've got a better handle on problems with the actual patch.

1. Looks like it only shows the spellcard's name once, when you start a scene. If you die and retry, it doesn't show it anymore.

This was never the case on my machine and testing just now I still get the titles to reappear when I retry, but...

2. I cleared this spellcard (whoa) on the English patch, then I went back to the original game to test more stuff. The name's gone on the Japanese version too.

Scene 6-1 doesn't have a title since it's not techincally a spell card (only ZUN would know why).  This tends to be the case with the first couple scenes for every level.  So look at some scenes from previous levels and let me know if this is still the case.  It really shouldn't be since the patch does not make any changes to the original exe.

Running XP. After Patching I get this when I try to run th095e.exe:

For some reason It's not finding the .dat file.  Unfortunately with just this it's unclear what the problem is.  I hate to ask but can you verify that th095e.dat is actually there?  If not there might be a problem when everything get's repacked since that relies on a separate process.

Okay, so I repatched my game and didn't work.
I then found the .rar file, unzipped it to a totally different folder, downloaded the patch anew from Zun's site, patched THAT version, then ran your patch.

Same error, it can't verify that I'm running the correct version of the game.

I'm a little confused about the problem you're having, is it that the patch fails immediately because it can't verify that its running on v1.02a of StB, or does it do all the patching then fail the installation verification at the very end?
Also, are you certain you're running v1.02a?
I've seen problems where trying to run ZUN's patch doesn't actually upgrade v1.00 all the way to v1.02a.  This was because I ran it on a version of StB where some files like readme.txt were missing and ZUN's patch can't completely finish unless it can find everything it needs.

I'll try my best to resolve these issues as soon as I find out more from you guys.  Also thanks to everyone who has reported success so far, glad to know its not a complete wash.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm running on Vista, and after some issues with updating the game (probably because I messed with the files) I got the patch to run.

Now it's been 30 minutes the patch tells me this :

"Repacking patched files to C:\Program Files\東方文花帖\th095e.dat, please wait a moment..."

Let's see what happens if I close the patch...

Well, I get the same error as Emarrel. No wait it's something about the refresh rate :

東方動作記録 ---------------------------------------------
リフレッシュレートを60Hzに変更を試みます
HAL で動作します
error : データファイルが存在しません

Re-running the patch gives the same result.
And it gives me a bullshit file path to go to for the log, but I think it's because I have a french OS set on japanese Unicode (probably).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:08:51 PM by Generalguy »
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
I'm a little confused about the problem you're having, is it that the patch fails immediately because it can't verify that its running on v1.02a of StB, or does it do all the patching then fail the installation verification at the very end?
Also, are you certain you're running v1.02a?
I've seen problems where trying to run ZUN's patch doesn't actually upgrade v1.00 all the way to v1.02a.  This was because I ran it on a version of StB where some files like readme.txt were missing and ZUN's patch can't completely finish unless it can find everything it needs.

It's the latter. The patch goes through the installation process, updating files and creating touhou9.5e.exe, then it tells me at the end it isn't 1.02a so it eliminates everything it did. Also, it reset my controls (not sure if that's relevant).

I tried it on a new install of the game as I mentioned above and had the same problem.

I'll be happy to try any suggestions you have.

I run 1024x768 as well.
Quote from Myosotis:

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »
I'm running on Vista, and after some issues with updating the game (probably because I messed with the files) I got the patch to run.

Now it's been 30 minutes the patch tells me this :

"Repacking patched files to C:\Program Files\東方文花帖\th095e.dat, please wait a moment..."

Let's see what happens if I close the patch...

Well, I get the same error as Emarrel. No wait it's something about the refresh rate :

東方動作記録 ---------------------------------------------
リフレッシュレートを60Hzに変更を試みます
HAL で動作します
error : データファイルが存在しません

Re-running the patch gives the same result.
And it gives me a bullshit file path to go to for the log, but I think it's because I have a french OS set on japanese Unicode (probably).

Was able to reproduce this error.  It's because you're StB install path has unicode in it which isn't playing nice with Python.  You're getting the same error as Emarrel (the refresh rate thing is irrelevant) since the datrepacking subprocess is failing so th095e.dat is never created, hence its never found.  I'll start working on a fix for this ASAP.  In the mean time you can try renaming 東方文花帖 to anything ASCII and the patch should work.  Also the bullshit file path is due to the fact that when the patch finishes executing, error or not, the temp directory it creates is automatically deleted, so as soon as it tells you about that log and you hit OK its already gone.  Annoying yes, but it's something that's done automatically by the programs I used to bundle everything.  Thanks a lot for routing this out, I should of figured this would be an issue with a Japanese game...

It's the latter. The patch goes through the installation process, updating files and creating touhou9.5e.exe, then it tells me at the end it isn't 1.02a so it eliminates everything it did. Also, it reset my controls (not sure if that's relevant).

I tried it on a new install of the game as I mentioned above and had the same problem.

I'll be happy to try any suggestions you have.

I run 1024x768 as well.

As soon as I get this other fix finished I'll send you a PM so we can try to get to the bottom of this.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:24:36 PM by drywall »

Koikon

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Am I the only one not encountering any problems? (yet?)
The patch went perfectly the first time around. And I run Vista Ultimate. (I am on my admin account now, though)
The CustomE file actually has a bigger resolution than the original Custom file (-which is extremely tiny).
No problems at all.

There is one MINOR issue.... but nothing of real significance.
- When the game loads, there's usually a spinning flower in the bottom right of the screen, next to the text: now loading...
  This flower and the text stopped appearing in fullscreen mode.

..... That's all, for now.

Also, thanks for translating the Help pages, the fact that you can block a bestshot from being overwritten, makes this game even more awesome~.
(Don't you hate it when a spectacular shot gets overwritten by a crappy-looking, higher scoring shot?)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:26:14 PM by Koikon »

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
Bugs:

1. Requires MSVC2003 runtime libraries (not documented).
2. Patching doesn't work.

Code: [Select]
Verifying patch installation
Verification failed
Removing patched files, please try rerunning the patch
If verification continues to fail, try reinstalling and/or upgrading to v1.02a

StB patch installation success!

3. Doesn't delete config_e.exe after failed patching.
4. "StB patch installation success!" is printed upon failure.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
My StB patch works perfectly, thanks!

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »
Bugs:

1. Requires MSVC2003 runtime libraries (not documented).
2. Patching doesn't work.

Code: [Select]
Verifying patch installation
Verification failed
Removing patched files, please try rerunning the patch
If verification continues to fail, try reinstalling and/or upgrading to v1.02a

StB patch installation success!

3. Doesn't delete config_e.exe after failed patching.
4. "StB patch installation success!" is printed upon failure.

1. This was excluded to save space upon assumption that most Windows OS already had it, It's now been put back in just to be safe.
2. The verification seems to be giving some problems, so in the next release I might put in an way to make this optional, so that you can actually try the patched game out to see if the verification error was a false negative or not.
3. Fixed
4. Fixed

Thanks for the help, keep it coming guys.
Also the Unicode problem was a quick fix so that's resolved as well.

Emarrel

• Something of pokeballs
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
For some reason It's not finding the .dat file.  Unfortunately with just this it's unclear what the problem is.  I hate to ask but can you verify that th095e.dat is actually there?  If not there might be a problem when everything get's repacked since that relies on a separate process.

Sorted it, I must have clicked close on the patcher assuming it was already finished (I probably wasn't paying much attention), so I ended up with an incomplete th095e.DAT.

So, nothing to worry about.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »
I renamed the folder as "stb" and the patch worked. Thanks.

I'll test the game a bit now, at least until I reach where I was before I deleted my score.dat, meaning stage 2.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
good to see more progress on these translation patches.

ill get around to trying it tomorrow

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Just put up a new version with all the fixes I've managed so far, go snag it at the top of the thread.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »
Installed without verification and working flawlessly.

Thank you for all your hard work!
Quote from Myosotis:

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »
th095e.dat failed the verification. Game runs without the verification.

The MD5 checksum of my th095e.dat is e070fd87176042ac6b5941cf8d097d03.

nintendonut888

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »
It works perfectly for me. Great job!

I...I actually feel tempted to erase all my progress so I can experience it all anew. How do you do that? I don't know what you have to do to the score.dat.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »
Delete the score.dat.

If you have second doubts, simply rename it to something else and store it away.

nintendonut888

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 12:18:46 AM »
Mmkay. ._.

It's going to be traumatizing to have to recapture some of the ones I've done, but my USB drive will still hold all my progress anyway...

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »
Version 1.01 worked for me, and it verified correctly on WinXP (SP3).  The only issue I've had so far is that, since I have a game controller connected to my computer, having the "Don't use DirectInput for gamepad input" unchecked by default wouldn't allow me to use keyboard input until I re-checked it.  But that might be an issue regarding this specific controller (PS3 Dualshock3)

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »
th095e.dat failed the verification. Game runs without the verification.

The MD5 checksum of my th095e.dat is e070fd87176042ac6b5941cf8d097d03.

I'm actually using SHA1 to generate checksums, but if the problem is with the .dat file it leads me to believe that the datpacker utility that I'm using (which I had no hand in creating) isn't always creating the .dat file in the exact same way which could cause the checksum failure.  But so far it seems the game runs fine anyway.  So in the next release I'll disable the check on the .dat file and trust datpacker is doing its job correctly (which its been doing so far).

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »
Found a grammar mistake: "overwrited". It doesn't matter though, I'll rarely use the function anyway.
Quote from Myosotis: