Author Topic: Silence of the Maidens ~ MotK Murder Mystery - Chapter IV  (Read 25876 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Silence of the Maidens ~ MotK Murder Mystery - Chapter IV
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Oh no, Sakana's writing again. Giant Wall of Text approaching!

Greetings, everyone.
Finally I've come around to write another MotK-fiction.
And this time, not only a short story, but the start of a longer work.
I've never tried my hands at that kind of genre before, let's see how this will go.
The characters, while borrowing from the real members, are of course fictional, so I hope no one takes offense in their portrayal.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy reading this as much as I did writing it. Enjoy~
And don't get discouraged by the length, it's easy to read >_<

------------------------

~Prologue~

With a refined gesture, the man moved the cup to his lips and took a long sip.
He stopped for a moment, savoring the taste of the tea, and then set the teacup down.
There was a small sound as the empty cup was placed on the table.
It was immediately picked up by the girl that had been standing silently besides the table and placed on a cart that held the remains of a generous breakfast.

"It's almost time. They should arrive soon."

The man looked outside onto the blue sea under a clear and sunny sky. Since he was sitting right in front of the large window, his silhouette shone against the bright outside.

That's the whole point, he thought. The whole point of having breakfast in this room at this time, on this chair. It looks so beautiful, so... charismatic.

A small smile formed on his lips before he turned around to face the two girls that were in the room with him. He was wearing expensive looking clothes, and though he was only sitting on a common chair, his presence made it appear like a throne fit for a king. The man's name was Helepolis Scarlet, owner of the Scarlet Mansion, a large estate with a long and proud history. He was well known for being the very embodiment of charisma, and  he took great care to keep and cultivate this image.
There was but one thing that was disturbing, or one might even say breaking, his otherwise perfect  charismatic appearance: The small plushie he was holding in his arms. It was a plushie of a small girl with bat wings, wearing a pink dress and carrying a crimson colored spear in her hands. It was unknown who it represented, and why he always carried it around all the times, but people around him had soon ralized that talking about it or trying to take it away was a very bad idea. It was easier to just ignore it entirely as if it didn't exist.

"So, I suppose everything has been prepared as I have ordered it?"

He was asking the two girls standing silently before him, which nodded in response. They were dressed as maids and appeared to be twins. However, it was easy to distinguish the two by their appearance and their pets. One had a large snake hanging around her neck, and carried a flower in her hair. Meanwhile a ferret rested on the other's shoulder and she was wearing glasses.

"You have prepared all thirteen guest rooms, Matsuri?"

"Yes, master", the girl with the ferret answered calmly with a small bow.

"And I trust we have enough food for the next days, Nobu?"

"Of course." This time the girl with the snake responded with a smile.

"Wonderful. In that case, I trust everything will go as planned."

He turned around to the window once more. A dark spot could be seen on the blue waves, approaching the peninsula the Scarlet Mansion was built on. It would soon reach the small harbour at the foot of the cliffs below the mansion.

"Ah, it seem they are finally here. Nobu, Matsuri, please go and greet them properly."

"Yes, master", both girls answered simultanously, and with a bow, left the room.

Helepolis stood at the window, his eyes looking into the distance.

Finally, it would begin...

------------------------

Eight people left the boat soon after it had reached the harbour. Since they were planning to stay here for a few days, almost all of them were carrying large bags or suitcases of some sort.
Only one of them had neither, a middle aged man wearing a dirty doctor's coat that might have been white in ancient times. Instead of any luggage he only had two things. One was a lage folded cardboard box, the other was a leash that ended on the collar of a small dog with a fluffy white fur that made it practically look like a shrunken sheep. A nametag reading 'Momiji' was attached to the collar.
Despite his run-down looks the man moved with  a refined calmness and elegance which made it obvious he had once belonged to a higher class of society. That image was supported by a monocle he was wearing on his right eye.

"Hey Purvis! Move a bit faster, we don't have all day!"

The voice came from a young man lifting a few suitcases from the boat. He would've looked normal, if it hadn't been for the floppy bunny ears on his head.

"You young ones don't have an ounce of patience anymore do you? That's what you get for growing up under the libs." The man called Purvis responded with a smug smile and proceeded towards the stairs that would lead them up the cliffs and to the mansion

"Hey, you could have at least taken the luggage of one of the girls, you self-proclaimed hobo-gentleman!", the bunny boy shouted after him before turning to another young man with blonde hair and glasses that was just climbing from the boat. "Benny, can you take one of them?"

"Sure thing, Pesco." the young man responded, and then the two made their way up the stairs with suitcases in each hand.

Following after them were a young girl with cat ears, who everyone just called 'Kitten', and Kilga, a young woman that held a position of great power in the world of MotK.
The last ones to exit the boat were three more young men going by the names of Bofh, Affinity and Fightest.

A few minutes later they all had reached the top of the stairs, Pesco and Benny breathing heavily from the weight of the additional suitcases they had carried.

"So this is the place, eh? Wow, that'll be fun.", Kitten asked while looking at the large mansion that now lay before them.

They weren't used to something that big. All of them were usually living in RPG, a modest but comfortable place in MotK whose inhabitants had dedicated their entire lifes to playing games.
This did not mean that they were lazy or childish. Quite the contrary, 'playing' was as much of a serious activity to them as fighting a war was to others. Only that a war was often far more humane and had less casualities.
And this was why they were here. To play. They had organized this trip to play a special game of Mafia, a very popular game in RPG, in a unique surrounding.

When they reached the mansion's doors, the twin maids were already waiting. They bowed as the guests came closer, then stepped to the side and opened the two large wings of the door simultaneously.

Everyone gasped as they got a view on the large entrance hall that lay behind the doors. The only one to enter immediately was Purvis, who seemed used to the extravagance of a mansion, while the rest of the guests hesitated, overwhelmed by the splendor before them. Only as the maids signaled them to get into the hall, they finally overcame their shyness and stepped through the door.

That was the moment Helepolis had been waiting for. As soon as all of the guests had entered and the maids had closed the door again, he stepped into view at the top of the large staircase that led up to the second floor in the middle of the hall. Behind him, the sun shone through a stained-glass-window portraying the same girl as his plushie, as he spread his arms wide and spoke.

"Welcome, everyone, to the Scarlet Mansion. I am honored that I may offer you my hospitality for those next days. I sincerely hope you will enjoy your stay and have fun with your games. Please refer to the maids if there is anything you wish for, I assure you that none of your needs shall be left unfulfilled.
I have already prepared everything for you, so you can start immediately. Just leave the luggage to the servants. Matsuri, please show the guests to the game room. Nobu, take care of their belongings."

He bowed once after his speech and then disappeared as fast as he had come before. While the eight  RPG-residents were still looking at the stairs, unable to completely grasp what had just happened, the maids were already carrying out what they had been ordered to.

"Sir, please allow me to take that", Nobu said to Purvis, motioning to the cardboard box he was still holding.

"Ah, thanks, girl. Just set it up in a nice corner of my room, that'll be fine."

"Uhm, Sir. If you need a resting place for your dog, we have some high-class do-" the girl started when Purvis disrupted her.

"Eh? Who said anything about 'lil 'Miji here? She can take the bed, I suppose it's a big fluffy one, eh? The box is for me, young lady. I don't trust all that fancy stuff, nothing beats the classic hobo-bedding."

For a moment, the young maid was at a loss of words, but she quickly regained her composure.

"As you wish, Sir."

At the same time, Matsuri moved over to a door at the other side of the hall and begged the guests to follow her.

"The master had this room prepared specifically for your needs. Please use it for your business as you see fit."

She opened the door, which led to a room that was mostly empty. However, it was special in that one side of the room consisted of nothing else than a large window showing a beautiful scenery outside. Placed in a circle in the center of the room were ten comfortable-looking armchairs.

"Oh, not too bad. This room has a nice atmosphere." Kilga said as she walked over to the window.

"It sure has, but... why ten chairs? There's only eight of us." Affinity stated, confusion in his voice.

"Well," Bofh responded, "we originally invited ten people to come. Two of them couldn't make it, unfortunately. It's not like we can't play, but it would be better if we had at least two more."

"Then, how about we ask the maids?" This time it was Fightest that spoke. "That charismatic guy back then said they'd fulfill all our needs, and now we have a need for players. You think you can do that?"

The last question was directed to Matsuri, who was still waiting near the door. She looked surprised at the sudden question.

"I... it might be possible. I... think I will have to ask the master about this matter. If you would excuse me for a bit."

She left the room with a bow and headed towards Helepolis' study room, in which he spent most of his days.

"Do not worry", Helepolis told the maid after she had explained the situation and smiled faintly "The solution for this problem is already on the way..."

------------------

On a grassy hill, five people stood and looked down onto the mansion that was their goal. Despite it being bright day, all of them were wearing long capes with hoods that hid their faces. And behind one of the girls, there was a strange shape, resembling a giant fish, floating in the air, also concealed by a cape, while one of the other girls had large fluffy bunny ears sticking out from beneath her hood.

"We'll have to go over the basic rules of stealth missions again, won't we?" the girl standing in front of the other four sighed.

"Oh, come on, Ruro. It's not like there's any point to the stealth anyway. If they have books, they should know we're coming.", another girl answered.

""Maybe you should have brought some cardboard boxes. I heard those work far better for sneaking  missions. And yes, Ruro, I know that you like capes. And keep that 'and nothing else than the cape' thoughts to yourself, thank you very much.""

These last words were not spoken aloud, yet all of the girls clearly heard them in their minds.

"Anyway, shall we get going?", the bunny-girl asked and started to walk again.

"Sure, let's review the mission again while we're on the way. Moe Moe, if you could." Ruro answered, turning to the girl with the fish-shape floating behind her.

"Ah, yeah." She cleared her throat. "Operation Crimson Liberation. The target is the Scarlet Mansion, owned by Helepolis Scarlet. The mansion is said to house a secret library holding possibly thousands of unique works. Our mission is to infiltrate the mansion and steal-" Ruro turned around and shot the girl a displeased look "err, liberate every literary work we can get and bring it back to PSL."

"Very good," Ruro looked pleased, "what's the status of the mansion, Rou?"

"The mansion is usually inhabited by its owner, Helepolis, his two head maids, Matsuri and Nobu, the gardener, Valentia, and some other servants. At the moment, a delegation from RPG resides in the mansion. I got that information from Pesco himself, so it's trustwor- oh wait, scratch that. Anyway, the RPG-people should keep the mansion staff busy enough so we can look for the library undisturbed." the girl called Rou explained the situation.

Then she turned towards the bunny-girl. "Hey, Chaore, think they'd take two more players?"

"Heh, who knows. We should ask." Chaore answered.

Suddenly, a voice rang in the minds of Rou and Chaore. ""Hmm, I think I should tell Ruro that you're thinking about ditching this mission anyways because it sounds boring. She might be really interested in that, hehehe~""

Both girls were startled for a moment. While those things happened every day, noone ever got used to them. Telepathy, the reading of thoughts and the projection of her own thoughts into other people's minds was the primary form of communication for Esifex, since she didn't speak the same first language as everyone else. And her missing hesitation to talk about what  she saw in people's minds was what made her so scary.
"Hey, what're you doing? You're falling behind!" Ruro called from the front. "There's books to liberate, so show some enthusiasm, will you?"

And with a final shout of "Just you wait, Helepolis. No one can escape from the Librarian Squad!" she started to run down the hill, heading straight for the mansion, her cape fluttering in the wind, the other four Librarians following close behind her.

A few minutes later, the Librarians stood in the garden that stretched out behind the mansion, looking for a way to enter. A moment before that, a part of the fence surrounding the mansion on the back had learned about the devastating power of an accelerated giant tuna and collapsed.

"Hey, there's a door over here. But it's locked." Chaore shouted out, standing next to a small door that was probably designed as a servant entry.

"Can't we just have Sakana beat it down again?" Rou responded.

"Eh, I dunno. The fence back there was one thing, but wouldn't they notice if we barged in here? How about we have Ruro use her modding-powers to unlock it?" the fish-girl said.

"Huh, not a bad idea. Well then, Ru-... wait, where is she?" Rou looked around confused, searching for the girl that was the leader of the operation. Then she spotted two people a short distance away, her eyes widened in surprise. A moment later, she facepalmed.

There, walking between the flower beds, was Ruro, who had taken her hood down so her  face and  strawberry-coloured hair could were visible. And walking beside her was a young woman wearing a simple but elegant dress with a flower-design and a parasol, her long red hair tied together. Despite her not looking like a servant at all, she was wearing a bag on her waist in that carried a variety of gardening tools. It was Valentia, the mansion's gardener, and therefore one of the people the Librarians had wanted to acoid at all cost.
Yet here she was, and Ruro was walking calmly beside her, apparently admiring the flowers that were in full bloom all around.

"Ah, those white roses are really beautiful."
"Ah, yes, they take a lot of attention and skill to grow"
"Oh, is that a cherry tree over there? It's blooming!"
"We received that one as a gift from one of the shrines around here."
"Oh my god! Stawberries? Do I see strawberries over there? Oh, I'm becoming light-headed, ah..."
"You are correct, those are strawberries. We have already harvested a lot of them, so you may ask the maids if you want to eat some."

"Oh, really, can I?" Ruro turned to the gardener with shining eyes.

"But of course, I do not see why you couldn't." Valentia responded with a smile.

""So I take it our stealth mission is cancelled?""

The two girls jumped at the sudden new voice in their head. When Ruro turned around, Esifex was standing behind her. The rest of the Librarians was also walking over, Rou still facepalming as hard as she could at the absurdity of the situation. They all had taken their hoods down.
Everyone was staring at Ruro with feelings reaching from confusion to murderous intent.

"Errr..... I... got a little carried away... didn't I?" Ruro uttered.

""Yes, you did. And no, 'but they were so beautiful' is not a valid argument. Don't even try to talk your way out of this, Ruro.""

The result was an awkward silence, that was soon broken by Valentia.

"Uhm, you said something about a stealth mission? You're not planning to break into the mansion, are you?"

"Huh, of course we are. That's our job after a- urgh" Chaore started sarcastically, but was cut short by Esifex elbow as it hit her in the side.

""We were merely planning to pay a surprise visit to the master of this mansion. He is an old friend of our dear Ruro here, and they have not seen each other for a long time. I apologize for the inconveniences we may have caused, but we thought it to be a good idea."", her voice resounded calmly in everyone's mind.

After a moment of surprise, Valentia smiled once again.

"Ah, so that's how it is. In that case, I shall lead you to the master. Please follow me." And she started walking towards the mansion's back door and unlocked it, begging the Librarians to follow her.

As they walked towards the mansion, everyone was whispering thanks and praise to Esifex for her genius help.

"Also wirklich, manchmal frage ich mich wie ihr es ohne mich eigentlich schaffen w?rdet. Hmm, da kann man nichts machen, was? ?berlasst solche Sachen einfach mir, sonst geht nur noch mehr schief."

-----------------

"Welcome, to the Scarlet Mansion."

Once again, Helepolis was standing at the top of the stairs, arms outstretched, the sun behind him, offering a charismatic greeting to the new guests.

"It's been a long time, hasn't it, Ruro? And what charming young ladies you have brought with you." He bowed once again.

"Das Vergn?gen ist ganz auf meiner Seite" Esifex responded with an elegant gesture.

"Err yeah, it's been a while, Hele. Hi there." Ruro greeted him, still flustered from what had happened before.

"If I remember correctly, the last time we met was when you tried to steal some books from me. You wouldn't be planning on something like that again, would you? There have been... rumors... you know?" He had a cunning look as he talked.

'He knows!', Ruro thought to herself.

"Ahahaha, of course not. Just wanted to pay a surprise visit to an old friend, ahahaha!" she responded.

"Oh, but of course. Excuse my baseless suspicions. Well then, you are surely tired from your trip, aren't you? So why don't you rest up before we can enjoy this reunion. Nobu, show them to the guest rooms." He was now talking to the twin maids who had been waiting at the foot of the stairs patiently.

"Okay!" the girl with the flower on her head responded energetically and started to walk over to the newly arrived guests in order to guide them.

"Ah, and I almost forgot. Some people from the lands of RPG are here, and they're short of two players. There wouldn't be some amongst you versed in the ways of playing their games? I think they called it 'Mafia'."

Rou's and Chaore's eyes began to shine and they immediately voiced their desires to join the games, when Ruro grabbed their shoulders from behind.

"Hey, are you two forgetting why we're here? It's not to play games!"

"Ah...uhm... it's... it's not playing. It's...." Rou stammered.

"Investigation! It's investigation!" Chaore helped her out.

"Ah, yes. Investigation. We might find out about the secret library if we mix in with the other guests, rigth? Right?"

"Why do I think you're just looking for an excuse to neglect your duties? Ah well, might as well have some fun while we're here. Sure, go and join the game." Ruro smiled and let go of the two.

"Thanks, Rur-" Rou started, but stopped when she saw Ruro's look. She was staring at the maids, more specifically, at their legs that were clearly visible under their short skirts. Her eyes sparkled dangerously.

"I'm not too sure I'll be able to fully concentrate on the mission either, eheheh~"

"Well, now that that's settled. Matsuri, lead those two girls to the gaming room so they can join the other guests." Helepolis ordered the maid with the glasses before he disappeared once more.

"Of course. If you two would please follow me?" Matsuri responded calmly and headed for the other side of the hall, Rou and Chaore following behind her.

"And the others, after me, please." Nobu said to the remaining three Librarians and led them off.

--------------

In the gaming room, the eight players from RPG were still waiting for the maid to return. So when they heard the sound of the door opening, everyone turned around with expecting looks on their face, that soon changed to surprise when they saw not only the maid but two familiar but unexpected faces following behind her.

The young man with the rabbit ears was the first to speak.

"Yo Rou, Chaore. In for some mindhax?" he greeted the arrivals with a grin.

"Yo Pesco. Seems we had a good timing, eh?" Rou answered.

"You sure did," Kilga said. "Well then, now that we have enough players, let's get started. Purvis, will you take the position of Gamemaster?"

"Of course. Sit down everyone."

The ten people in the room went over to the armchairs. On each armchair lay a letter, sealed with scarlet wax.

"Now, choose a seat and open the letter to see your role." Purvis said while petting Momiji, who was resting on his lap.

Everyone did as ordered. The rustling of paper filled the room, then everyone looked towards Purvis and nodded to signal their readiness.

"Alright, then let us begin our first game now. You all know the rules, begin with Day One."

"Yuyuko doll: Pesco!" Kilga exclaimed.

"I'm voting for myself.", Bofh said.

"Voting Rou, for making sense."

"What, but I haven't said anything yet?"

">:3"

"You damn bunny!"

"Mindhax~"

As the discussion started, the maid that was still in the room silently left and closed the door behind her. She should return to the master soon, so that everything would go as planned...

-----------------

After that, the day passed calmly. After long debates, the Mafia players decided to lynch Fightest, Vanilla Townie, shortly before dinner.
At the same time, the Librarians rested in their rooms, planning on how they would search for the secret library tomorrow, then they enjoyed a gorgeous dinner together with everyone else.
The maids spent most of their time preparing the dinner, then cleaning up after it was over.
The gardener tended to her flowers, just like she did every day.
And like that, night fell.

------------------

As the hands of the clock approached midnight, a single shadow stepped through the dark corridors of the mansion, carefull, so as not to be seen by anyone.

'Soon, very soon...' the shadow thought to itself. 'Just be patient for a little longer.'

------------------

In his study, Helepolis stood at the window, looking out onto the dark sea that was only illuminated by the light of the full moon. Did he miss anything? It was perfect, wasn't it?
He had gone through everything so often, but he still was unsure whether there wasn't something he had missed.
But he couldn't afford to hesitate now. Slowly, he turned around to Matsuri, who had been waiting silently in the dark.

"You know your orders. Let it begin."

The girl looked at him with empty eyes.

"Yes, master..."

-------------------

Five more minutes untill midnight. It was time for the announcement of the nightkill soon. Most of the chairs in the gaming room were occupied, but three people were missing. Silence filled the room, only disturbed by the sound of raindrops hitting the window. Through the large glass-front, the players could see the dark clouds that were approaching fast. There would be a storm soon.

"Hey, anyone know where Kitten, Affinity and Fightest are?" Benny broke the silence.

"No idea, they went to their rooms after dinner. Maybe they just fell asleep." Chaore answered.

"It doesn't matter. I can announce the nightkill without them, since discussion will only take place in the morning anyway. They'll just miss out on part of the fun." Purvis stated, petting Momiji all the time while speaking.
Then he cleared his throat and fixed his monocle.

"This night, scum have killed-"*crash*

His words were interrupted by a massive roar as thunder struck outside. In the bright illumination from the flash, Purvis, who was sitting directly in front of the window-wall, appeared as an eerie silhouette...

--------------------

"Eeek!"

Surprised by the sudden flash and thunder, the girl lost her balance and fell down.

"Ouch!"

"What's up, Sana? Want to take a rest? Or are you getting scared by a little storm?"

Speaking those words was a man. He was wearing a long light-brown trench-coat and a fitting hat, and smoking a cigarette despite all the wind and rain.

"So, where are we anyway?"

"I.... have no idea.... I think we're lost." the girl called Sana responded while she got up and fixed the black hat she was wearing. Then, she spotted some lights in the distance.

"Hey, Jana! Look over there! There seems to be a house that way, maybe we can find shelter there!"

"Oh, not a bad discover- huh? Oh, now isn't that interesting. Ahahaha." Jana started to laugh.

"Eh? What is it? You're being creepy, laughing like that all of a sudden!" Sana exclaimed in confusion.

"Sana, it seems your skills have worked once again. You think we're lost, but it seems we were rather guided by the hands of fate."

"You lost me."

"Look, Sana. This down there is the infamous Scarlet Mansion. The owner's an old acquaintance of mine, and there's been some... rumors... about him and that place. And pay attention, the number of lights that are on must mean there are guests at the mansion. Add to that the storm coming from the sea. It's perfect, isn't it. I can almost feel something's gonna happen down there."

He started to grin.

"Let's go Sana." he said, tossing his cigarette away behind him.

Suddenly, another roaring sound could be heard, and heat flared up behind the two people.

Jana jumped forward, grabbing Sana and dragging her with him, then turned around.

Where they had been a few moments ago, a giant wall of flames was coming out of the ground. He looked to the left and right. The flames spread out as far as he could see.

"Wha...wha...WHAT? What was that.. how did that... why?" Sana stuttered, still in shock.

"Hehe, interesting. Well, maybe my cigarette accidentally fell into a rabbit hole that was deep enough to reach a secret oil deposit below the ground and lit it on fire."

"I hate Murphy and his stupid laws."

"Or, this could all have been set up. Fire on one side, a storm on the other. Heh, not too bad." he stated calmly. "Let's go. Look, someone even made a hole in the fence for us, so we won't have to take the long way around."

A few minutes later, loud knocking could be heard at the back door of the mansion.

In the grass, where Sana had fallen before, there lay a single business card.

"Jana & Sana - Detective Agency"

-------------------

Esifex stood at the top of the stairs in darkness of the main hall, looking at the storm outside through the stained-glass-window. Then, she started to sing.

"Lautes Grollen der Wellen erklang
Als der Himmel ganz langsam ins Dunkel schwand...."

~Prologue End~
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:52:27 AM by Narrator Sakana »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Silence of the Maidens ~ MotK Murder Mystery - Prologue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
Did Kilga just survive Night 1? O_o

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
"You young ones don't have an ounce of patience anymore do you? That's what you get for growing up under the libs."
PFFT AHAHAHAHAHAHA
That's so fitting for Purvis to say.

And "but they were so beautiful" is a perfectly valid argument, what is wrong with you Esifex :|

It should go without saying that I would love to read more of this. Sakana's tuna half wearing a cape and nothing else made me giggle. Also, that German fancover was pretty cool to listen to.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
Oh damn, I am definitely sticking to this. 

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
Well, what a la-*squished by Giant Wall of Text*

Anyhow, this is shaping up to be quite the interesting read. <.>

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
Well, you heard pesco. Rou is obviously the killer.

How could you, Rou? :V

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
The beato butler did it.

...Carry on.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:31:24 AM »
Did Kilga just survive Night 1? O_o

Kilgascum, called it.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:03 AM »
Jan is....surprisingly manly. Dojima is that you? :O

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »
Imagining Esifex singing that cover is unexpectedly bad. Ass.

Something tells me Esifex won't last very long, being a telepath and able to poke around and see who's plotting murder. Unless some Plotdevicium blocks her telepathy, rendering her unable to communicate the things she witnesses! Oh noes!

Ahahahaha ignore me this is awesome

Chaore

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
Something tells me Esifex will get night killed, being the cop and able to tell allegiances. Unless some Roleblocker blocks her Role, rendering her unable to use her cop powers! Oh noes!

Fixed that for you!

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
This is going to be like an Agatha Christie novel, right? With one of the current lead characters as the hidden killer? (for example: Momiji is the killer :V) Or will an entirely different character that hasn't appeared yet be the killer? (For example: Donut is the killer)

And who are Affinity and Bofh supposed to be? Is Affinity A-F?

Chaore

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
And who are Affinity and Bofh supposed to be? Is Affinity A-F?

Boofy is Boofy, Though around these part his usernames is Alice Blackbarn or something like that at the moment. Affinity it Affinity.

They're both mafia players and don't go far out from RPG, so you'd best off finding them there.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
Heh, from the responses I guess I'm doing it right. Thanks for reading through this wall.
I'll try to write a lot this week, so we'll get to the real fun soon.  >:D

This is going to be like an Agatha Christie novel, right? With one of the current lead characters as the hidden killer?
Exactly. All characters have been introduced in the prologue, no new ones will join. The stage is set, let the play begin~

A mystery has been prepared and is waiting for revelation. Please wait warmly~

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
Oh by the way thanks now I'm horribly horribly addicted to Strawbelly Cake music cuz of that cover. I've already infected a few of the top players in my WoW guild by playing it over Ventrilo - their Bad Apple cover is pretty awesome, too

<Sakana> Just as planned :V
Yeah, she (Strawbelly is just one girl) sings very well, I never expected to hear such nice german fancovers before. I learned about her from a friend that showed me her Bad Apple cover. Apparently she's part of a pretty famous german fancover scne on the net.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:53:45 PM by Moe Moe Sakana Izayoi »

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
This story is amazing, I can not wait to see more.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
I guess I should definitely put this on the top of my 'To Read' list, especially since i'm in it. :V

Dammit for having to go to work in five minutes, or else i'd read it now. >_<
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
It rubs the mushroom on its skin
Or else it gets the hakkero again

<Sakana> Someone translate please, I don't speak Ediblish  ;)

IT RUBS THE MUSHROOM

ON ITS SKIN

OR ELSE IT GETS THE HAKKERO AGAIN
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:37:40 PM by Edible »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
And here we go. The next part is finished and ready for your reading pleasure. Please enjoy~

~Chapter I~

Helepolis chuckled.
His maid had not yet returned, but he knew she had fulfilled his orders. She wasn't one to neglect her duty, nor to question it.
Looking out of the window he saw nothing but black clouds. Only at the edge of his field of view, a short distance away from the mansion, there was a red shimmer. Helepolis knew that it was a fire, one that span the whole width of the peninsula the Scarlet Mansion was located on.

'Everything is set up as planned.', he thought to himself.
An interesting group had gathered in the mansion. Under different circumstances, he would have enjoyed their company, but there was something he had to do.
It was time to confront this person.
'It should have happened a long time ago. Why did I wait until today?', he asked himself. But he didn't know the answer.
He only knew one thing: It wouldn't be much longer, and this matter would finally be settled.

Thinking that, he slowly turned away from the window and towards a large cupboard in the corner of the room. Tonight called for a special treat, and he knew exactly what it should be.
He opened the cupboard. It was filled with a number of different tea sets, as well as equipment for boiling water and, of course, a large variety of tea from all around the world. He reached for a wooden box. He had been waiting long, but now was the time to open it once more...

------------------------------

".......Kilga!"

Everyone in the room gasped.

"What?"

"As I said, this night, scum have killed Kilga. Flip your card, girl.", Purvis repeated.

"Oh, come on.", the woman called Kilga sighed. "Can't you let me play more than just Day 1 for once?"

Then she reached into her pocket, pulled out a card and threw it into the middle of the circle of armchairs, so that everyone could see the two words "Vanilla Townie" that were written on it.

"Should've seen that coming, Kilga." Bofh stated calmly.

"Yeah. Draw Scum next time, that'll help you survive longer.", Pesco added with a smirk.

"See? Told you you wouldn't make it for long with your lib playstile, chap.", the hobo-gamemaster told Kilga, flashing a smug smile again.

"Tch, I don't need your advise on how to play Mafia, old man.", she responded.

Roukanken, who had been silent at the shock of yet another Night-One-Kilga-Nightkill, suddenly started to speak.

"Alright, then from what we know, the scummiest person at the moment i-""Yo, hold it, girl."

The one to disrupt her was Chaore. Roukanken stared at her in disbelief.

"What? Now is the time to build our cases and catch some scum, why would yo-""Look around."

Once again Chaore stopped Rou, who was starting to get agitated.
Calming down and taking a look at the room again, Rou understood what Chaore was getting at.

"Oh, right. Not everyone's here now. So, what do we do?"

"Well, I guess we'll just call it a night and continue to play in the morning. No use in waking the others up now and try to get something coherent out of them when they're half-asleep.", Benny answered.

"Sounds like a plan. And to be honest, I could use some sleep as well.", Pesco supported the idea.

"Now then, I hereby declare the game to be suspended until the morning. Good night, kids. And no nightkilling, you hear me?" Purvis called out.

At his words, everyone in the room left their seats and started to head for their rooms. Everyone, but Purvis himself. He sat still in his armchair, continuously petting Momiji, who was sleeping on his lap. He was thinking. This was going to be more difficult than he had expected.
He had joined the Mafia game for one reason alone, but being chosen as gamemaster wasn't what he had wanted. He'd have to stay with them all the time until the game was over. He wouldn't be able to act freely at all. Unless, of course, something happened that would end the game...

-------------------------------------

"Good night, Pesco." Benny said and entered his room.

"'Night.", the bunny-boy responded.

As the door closed, Pesco was alone. Only darkness and silence surrounded him in the corridor that led to the rooms for most of the mafia players.
He walked further down the hall, until he reached a particular door. Luckily there were no keys needed for the guest rooms in this mansion. It would have been a pain to try and open a locked door in this darkness, even if one had the fitting key.

For a moment, Pesco stood silently in front of the door, concentrating on picking up any sounds around him. But his fluffy ears caught nothing but the sound of his own breathing.

">:3", he grinned.

Then he reached for the door, and slowly turned the knob. As soon as the door had opened far enough, Pesco slipped through the gap into the room, quietly closing the door behind him again.
As he turned from the door, ligthning flashed outside, blinding him.

"Kuh!"

He let out a small sound as he shielded his eyes from the sudden light. This kind of surprise was the last thing he could need right now. As he slowly removed his hands from his eyes again, he managed to make out the inside of the room.
The small table and chair in the corner, the large wardrobe, the cupboard, the paintings hung on the wall, the big and comfortable bed.
And the shape quietly sleeping in the bed, the sheets rising and falling slowly in time with its breathing. The cat ears and the tail sticking out from under the blanket made it easy to identify the shape.

Pesco grinned again. Kitten was in a deep sleep, completely unaware of what was happening around her. She didn't suspect anything.

'Naive girl.", Pesco thought to himself, as he made his way forward in the room.

A few minutes later, Pesco left the room as quietly as he had entered it and quickly made his way towards his own room. His face showed satisfaction.

">:3"......

---------------------------

Surrounded by trees that blocked it from curious eyes, Valentia's shed lay at the edge of the Scarlet Mansion's vast garden. While she did have a room in the mansion, just like the other servants, she preferred to stay in the shed most of the time. It was small, but well-equipped enough to live in it. Right now, a single candle illuminated the sheds inside. It seemed like it was desperately fighting against the darkness outside, that threatened to take all the light from this world.

Valentia sat at her desk, holding her head. A number of books and papers were stacked on the desk, while the floor was littered with a large number of tools, of which only some could undoubtedly be connected to gardening.
She grabbed the paper in front of her, crumpled it up and tossed it aside.

"It won't work. Not like that. It won't work.", she spoke quietly to herself.

She had been trying to find the answer for a long time. It had to be somewhere out there, she was sure of it, but she hadn't been able to find it for five years.

'But now, maybe I have a chance. Since it has come to this, I might as well go through with it', she thought to herself. The candle's flame reflected in her golden eyes like a fire of determination.

'I'll have to do it, no matter the consequences. It's for the best, don't you think?', she asked silently, looking at a single flower that stood in a vase on her desk.

Valentia slowly stood up. She knew it would be hard. She knew there might be other ways. She knew she might be hated afterwards. But she was still going to do it. She couldn't let this chance pass by. Not now, when 'she' was finally here. With fast steps, the gardener left her shed and headed out into the rain....

----------------------------

Morning came, but it was barely noticable. The storm was still raging with the same intensity as it had since last night, and the dark clouds were completely blocking out the sunlight.

Nonetheless, the atmosphere at the big breakfast-table in the mansion's dining room was light-hearted. Ony by one, the guests appeared, some walking in energetically, some sleepily shuffling towards their seats. Greetings of 'Good Morning' were exchanged, and plates were taken and filled with various foods from the buffet the maids had prepared.

"By the way, will the master of the house come for breakfast as well?", Purvis asked Matsuri.

He had already finished his breakfast a while ago. He had been up early and had helped the maids set up the food, despite their repeated claims that they would be fine on their own. He had laughed it off by saying that a true gentlemen couldn't just stand by and let women do the work.

"I'm sorry, but the master prefers to have breakfast in his room. Do you need anything from him? If so, please tell me and I shall deliver your message.", the maid answered.

"Nah, just asking. Would've liked to talk a bit to the charisma guy."

"Oh, but he will attend lunch and dinner. So you can talk to him in the afternoon.", Nobu jumped in on the conversation.

"Ah, is that so? That's good to know.", Purvis responded.

When he looked up, he saw that Benny was walking towards them.

"Ah, Miss Matsuri, might I ask you something?", he turned to the maid.

"Yes, what is it?"

"It seems that two of our companions are still sleeping. May I ask you to wake them up for us? We need them to continue playing after the meal."

"Certainly. Can you tell me who it is?", Matsuri asked.

After a few more words, Matsuri and Nobu left the room and headed towards the guest rooms. Benny returned to the table and resumed breakfast.

-----------------------------

The scream was loud enough to be heard everywhere in the mansion.

Within a second, the mood in the dining hall changed. It seemed like time was frozen as nobody dared move at the unexpected sound.
Then, both Kilga and Ruro jumped up and started running towards the source of the sound.
Purvis followed close behind them, while telling the rest of the people in the room to stay where they were and wait.

It didn't take them long to reach the place where the scream had come from. It was the hall leading to the guestrooms.
One of the doors had been opened, and Nobu was sitting at the wall across from it, hiding her face in her hands, shaking and sobbing.
Ruro froze at the sight, staring blankly at the maid. She was unable to move.

Kilga and Purvis squeezed their way past her and ran to the crying girl. Kilga kneeled down, grabbing Nobu's shoulders and shaking her lightly.

"Hey! Hey, snap out of it! What happened. Please, tell us. What happened?", she spoke gently, but with determination. But the only answer she got was even stronger sobbing from the maid.

Kilga turned around, intending to ask Purvis for help.
When she did, she saw past him into the room.
Her eyes widened in shock, unable to grasp what she was looking at.
What she was seeing was unmistakable, but her mind refused to accept it.

"No. Please, no...", she spoke quietly.

Meanwhile, Ruro regained her composure and looked further down the hallway they were standing in.
There, beyond Kilga, Purvis and Nobu, was another opened door.
Standing in front of it, completely still as if she was a statue and with a blank expression, stood Matsuri.

"Kilga...", Ruro whispered and pointed towards the silent maid.

Both Kilga and Purvis noticed her pointing and turned their heads.
Then Purvis slowly walked over to the second opened door, and took a look inside the room.
After that, he grabbed Matsuri's shoulders, gently leading her from the door and towards the other three.
Kilga and Ruro looked at him with questioning expressions, but he just shook his head.
Then he spoke, calm and composed.

"Kilga, Ruro. It looks like... there has been a murder last night. Affinity and Kitten... are dead."

Silence spread through the hallway. The only sound to be heard was Nobu's sobbing.

Then, the silence was broken by the sound of approaching footsteps. Purvis, Ruro and Kilga turned towards the sound simultaneously. When they did, they saw two people.
A man and a girl, both wearing hats despite being inside the house.
As he came closer, the man spoke.

"See Sana? I knew your luck would lead us somewhere interesting."

Then he took a business card from his pocket and showed it to the shocked group in the hallway.

"Jana Coppola, detective.", he introduced himself, then a grim smile appeared on his face.

"I'll take over this case!"

~Chapter I End~

Jana

• mrgrgr
Re: Silence of the Maidens ~ MotK Murder Mystery - Chapter I
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Hey, Sana! I'm pretty dang cool, if I may say so myself!

Another nice chapter~ I'll be looking forward to putting the case together, but in the story and in real life~

Chaore

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
The lists of suspects dwindle. My, this'll get too easy to solve before long. :V

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
Oh man, i'm grinning from ear to ear. This is greatly amusing. And poor traumatized Nobu ;_;

His face showed satisfaction.

">:3"......

Bwahaha.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
I don't know why, but the fact that a detective just happens to be in the mansion amuses me.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
I like how they're all actually SAYING '>:3'

<Sakana> Hey, it's only Pesco doing that.  :3
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:56:26 PM by Moe Moe Sakana Izayoi »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
I want to hug and comfort Nobu.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 01:40:46 PM »
Figures Jan would get the "cool introduction" part :<
You're making the rest of us look bad! D:

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
But I haven't done anything other than present my business card! I can't help it if everything I do just looks that cool! >:<

I just noticed I should have given Jana sunglasses as well. But that might be overkill.  :V
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:58:39 PM by Moe Moe Sakana Izayoi »

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
Sana is the killer. Because it's always the-....

* 尊 (みこと) is run over by a hat....

Good read. I look forwards to more!  :3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
<-- Appeared here due to shameless advertise from Sakana.

I never liked books in my life, no idea why. While I enjoy reading stories. Not perse fictions like these, but generally. Is why I am also horrible at pointing the genre, so I assume this is some kind of "thriller/detective"?. I could imagine everything while reading. I got really dragged into it for a moment after the scream incident.

As posted above,  Pesco's  >:3  = win.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Finally wrote the next part. Enjoy~

~Chapter 2~

"A swift death, and yet, so cruel."

Jana was standing in Kitten's room, looking at the bed. Sana was standing behind him, fighting the urge to avert her eyes from the scene before them. She had seen things like that several times since she started working with Jana, but she never got used to it.
Kitten was lying in her bed as if she was asleep. Yet, the blood-stained pillow and the large gash in her throat made it clear that she was dead.

"No signs of resistance. She didn't even wake up. She just died like that, not even realizing what was going on."

Jana's analysis of the situation was calm and composed. He looked through the room. Nothing seemed unusual. From what he could see, the murderer came, killed and went away again.

"No clues, none at all, except for that one thing."

Jana chuckled.

"Yeah, that's the way I like it."

Then he turned his attention to the 'thing'.
It was a small piece of paper, neatly pinned to the sheets covering the dead body of Kitten.
There were two words written on it.

"Vanilla Townie", Sana read them out aloud. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know..." Jana answered.

"Oh"

Sana looked disappointed.

"...yet. But I will know soon."

Jana's expression changed to a grim smile. He was enjoying this situation a lot. This tension was what he lived for.

"Well then, let's check the other room Sana. But be sure to take that paper with you."

"Of course."

Sana did as she was told, trying to avoid looking directly at the dead body on the bed. Then she turned to follow Jana, who was already passing through the door into the hallway.
Suddenly, she stopped. Something at the edge of her vision had caught her interest.

"Jana..."

The man in the trenchcoat kept on walking.

"Jana! Over here!"

Now the detective heard her. He turned around, looking at the place his assistant was pointing at. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Sana, what do you me-"

Then he saw it.

"Huh. Now isn't that interesting, hehehe..."

----------------------------------

The situation in Affinity's room was the complete opposite to Kitten's. It was a mess. Jana was kneeling over Affinity's body that was lying motionless on the floor.

"Multiple stab wounds. Bled to death on the floor, from the looks of it."

"Then, was it a fight?", Sana asked. She was looking through the rest of the room for clues.

"I'd say so. For some reason, the victim was probably still awake when the murderer came in. They had a fight, but Affinity lost. But we'd need a doctor to tell us what happened exactly, forensics aren't quite my area of expertise."

"That can be helped, chap."

Jana and Sana turned around at the unexpected new voice. Standing in the doorway, looking calmly at the chaos in front of him, was Purvis.

"I think I requested that no one is to be let in here." Jana replied.

"Thought you might wanna have some help here, pal. Medicine tends to be my thing, ya know?", the hobo said.

"Oh, is that so, Mister....?"

"Purvis, Doctor Purvis MFD. At your service."

The man in the doorway bowed slightly after his introduction.
Jana looked at him carefully.
He was looking like a common hobo in his stained clothes, but something was off. The way he kept his cool at the horrible sight in the room, and his overall behavior didn't fit the outward appearance.

"A doctor, eh? Quite at the right time. We could indeed use your skills. Mind examining this body and telling me what you can find?"

"As you wish." Purvis answered, stepping towards Jana, then kneeling down. "Make some room, kid, I need to concentrate here."

"Alright, I'll look around the room then. Call me immediately if you find something."

With that, Jana stood up and joined Sana, who was still checking for clues everywhere in the room.

"Found anything yet?" Jana asked her.

"Not really. All we have is this, just like in the other room."

She held out a small piece of paper, looking almost identical to the one they found on Kitten's body. The same words were written on it: 'Vanilla Townie'.

"It's odd." the girl continued. "With all the chaos here, and the fight that happened, you would think there would be clues. But I can't find anything."

"Huh. So someone was either extremely careful or extremely lucky here."

Jana wasn't sure how to feel about this. He liked a challenge, but if it was like that, they would barely have anything to start an investigation on.

"You might even say," Sana continued her analysis of the situation "that this room is exactly the same, clue-wise, as the other one, despite the different situations."

"The same, you say?" Jana raised an eyebrow.

"Exactly the same, yes." Sana repeated.

"Hey, kid. I'm done here. Wanna hear it?", Purvis suddenly called out from behind them.

Jana walked over to him, kneeling down.

"Alright, as you can see, the body has multiple stab wounds. At least three of them have reached the heart and other vital organs. A long, and slim object was used to inflict the wounds. Death occured due to massive bleeding. That's the gist of it."

"So it's likely there was a fight, just as I suspected. Anything else?"

For a moment, the doctor was lost in thought, then he spoke slowly.

"Well, there was a second victim right? Mind me examining that too? There might indeed be something..."

--------------------------------

As the detective, his assistant and the doctor once more left Kitten's room, Jana was deep in thought. What Purvis had just told him was interesting, even if it was only a theory that could not be proven with the methods available in this mansion. He would have to check it some other way...

As they were walking down the hallway, two people appeared before them.

"Good morning, and welcome to the Scarlet Mansion. Though the circumstances could certainly be better. I take it you are Mr. Coppola?" Helepolis greeted the group.

"That I am. Jana Coppola, Detective, at your service. And that behind me is my assistant Sana."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Helepolis Scarlet, owner of this mansion, as you might know. And this," he motioned to the person behind him "is Matsuri, one of my head-maids."

Matsuri gave a small bow.

"Is she okay? She found one of the bodies, shouldn't she be resting?" Sana asked with a concerned voice.

"I suggested the same, but she insists she is alright and wants to continue with work." Helepolis answered her.

"Well, if she says so. Anyway, Mr. Scarlet, I trust you have heard what happened?", Jana asked.

"Indeed. Matsuri has told me about it. She also told me that you plan to investigate the murders?"

"Yeah, that's right."

"In that case, let me assure you that you have my full cooperation. Please ask the servants if there is anything you need." Helepolis said. "And find that murderer as fast as you can, please." he added after a moment.

"Thank you, I will. For now, could you please get the crime scenes sealed? And could you tell me where the rooms of all the guests in this house are located?"

"Certainly. Matsuri, if you would take care of the rooms please?"

"At once." the maid answered and left.

----------------------------

A while later, all the guests, as well as Nobu and Valentia, the gardener, were gathered in the dining hall.
The two servants had retreated into a corner of the room, where Valentia was trying to comfort the still shocked Nobu.
Ruro and Kilga had taken seats close to them and were talking quietly, still trying to completely understand what had happened before. Ruro was raising her head to look over to Nobu several times, but always quickly turned her head again with a pained expression.

"Something wrong, Ruro?" Kilga asked "You've been behaving kind of weird since before."

"I'm...alright. It's nothing, really. Just... remembered something.", Ruro answered slowly.

Whispering could be heard all throughout the room. After Ruro, Kilga and the maids had returned, rumors had been starting to spread about what had happened, but noone knew any details.
The whispering stopped instantly when the door to the dining room flew open with a loud sound.

Stepping into the room were Purvis, Matsuri and two persons most of the guests didn't know, a man in a trenchcoat and a girl wearing a black hat.
Matsuri took a quick look through the room before she spotted her twin sister and walked over to her. Then she silently took a seat next to her, absentmindedly staring into the room.

After a moment of silence, whispers could be heard again at the arrival of the two newcomers.
It quickly died down again when Jana walked to the big table and slammed his hand down on it.

"Alright. I'll make things short: There's been a murder in this mansion. Or, to be precise, two murders."

Silence. Empty stares. Gasping. With his few words, Jana had changed the atmosphere in the room completely. Uncertainty had turned into brutal reality. Hopes turned to unfulfilled wishes.
Anger, sadness, fear and pain spread in the hearts of the guests. Tears were falling as the realization of what Jana's words meant set in.

But the detective ignored all that. He would give them time to mourn later, but there was something that had to be dealt with right now. He opened his mouth to speak again, but was interrupted by a shout.

"Who? Who did this? Who's the bastard that killed them? Tell me!"

The one shouting was Pesco, his face twisted in rage as he stomped towards Jana.

"Tell me so I can grab the bastard and return the favor!" the bunny-boy shouted.

"Pesco! Calm down!" Benny said, grabbing Pesco's shoulders to hold him back.

Jana glanced at the raging young man slightly, then resumed his speech.

"If I had any idea who the culprit was, I'd even tell you. Sadly, I don't know. Yet."

After that, Jana introduced himself towards all the guests, then explained briefly what had happened.

"But, how did the culprit get in here anyway?", Sakana asked the detective "Wouldn't the servants have noticed?"

"A good question, girl. And I'm afraid you won't like the answer."

Jana paused for a moment and slowly let his gaze wander through the room.

"At the moment, this peninsula is cut off from the outside world completely. There's a storm on one side, and a giant wall of flames on the other. And it's been that way since last night."

He paused once more and watched the expressions of the people in the room, as the message behind his words slowly settled in.

"Then..." Fightest started slowly. "Then, how did the murderer get in here?"

He knew the answer already, but he still had to ask. This question was the last thing that could protect them all from the cruel truth.
Jana took a deep breath before he spoke again.

"As you might already have guessed... they came in the same way as everyone here. Or should I say...together with everyone here."

Some shocked gasps could be heard.

"What I'm saying is that: Noone besides the people in this room has entered the mansion since yesterday. And after that, noone could enter at all. But the murders occured only after that time, Dr. Purvis here has confirmed that.
This leaves only one conclusion: The murderer of Kitten and Affinity is in this mansion, in this room, unless it was the owner himself. It is one of you!"

Jana ended his speech by slamming the table once more, then he waited for reactions. But nothing happened. What everyone had just heard was too much for them to grasp.
Two of their friends had died, and someone amongst them was responsible for it.
There was no way they could believe it, they didn't want to believe it.

"So I take it none of you want to say anything? Maybe surrender?" Jana spoke calmly after a minute of silence.

Nothing happened.

Then Rou moved.

Slowly, very slowly, she stood up, then she spoke quietly.

"....tell them?"

Everyone raised their heads and looked over to the girl speaking.

"Won't you tell them?"

"What?"

Rou suddenly slammed her hands on the table. She was staring at the girl sitting on the opposite side from her. The girl just stared back silently.

"Won't you tell them, Esifex?"

She was almost yelling now.

"You know, don't you? You know all that has happened! Because you always do! So, won't you tell them?"

Esifex closed her eyes and sighed. Then she stared back at Rou, and her voice resounded in everyone's minds.

""Yes, I know. But I won't tell anything.""

Sounds of surprise could be heard from everyone except the Librarians, who were used to Esifex's power.

"W... why?" Rou stammered.

Her eyes had widened in shock at the girl's answer.

""What will come from it? What will be gained if I just reveal everything here and now.""

"Esifex, what are you talking about?" Ruro asked, but Rou's angry shout drowned out her question.

"So you don't care if more people die? You'll just let it happen?"

""Exactly. I would phrase it differently myself, but I suppose it is the same to you."", the calm voice resounded once more.

For a moment, Rou trembled. She wore a pained look on her face and tears rose to her eyes.
Then she sunk back into her seat and hid her face in her hands.

"Tut mir leid. Aber das muss sein. Sonst wird all dieses Leid nie ein Ende haben..."

With those words, the room fell into silence once more....

~Chapter 2~