Author Topic: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!  (Read 223629 times)

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Re: Touhou 14.3: Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card announced!
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
I think the final stage will feature the original owners of the items.  :V

So Aya, Yukari, Mamizou, Okuu/Miko, Sukuna and Reimu confirmed?  :V

Though the boss selection so far is Wasakagihime, Sekibanki, Kagerou, Keine (quite a surprise), Yuyuko and Yatshuhashi.

Zil

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
Apparently the doll misdirects aimed attacks. The cloth makes you invincible but you can't move during it. The statue absorbs one hit.

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
This is a valid point I would like to address. The PV we have been shown shows the player teleporting past every bullet, or clearing them out completely, turning invincible for a short period of time to skip past the walls. This is not what you do in the photography games or GFW. Yes, you clear out bullets with your lense and ice. Yes, you sometimes specifically target a wall that is in the attack to choose to use your ice/picture. But what you don't do is do nothing and wait for the next wave to come at you. StB and DS all send constant barrages of bullets, not just waves of walls or a single trail of bullets following you. You were dodging inbetween the walls you cleared out. It doesn't seem to be the case right now.
Of course, assuming this game is constructed like StB and DS, we were likely just shown a few attack from the early stages and I personally hope that this changes significantly in the later stages of the game. But hoping is all I can.

As for "the other side of the coin" it's just that after the TD demo as well as the DDC demo I had high hopes for each game respectively, but was let down because stages 4-6 were actually worse than the early stages in both cases, which I found to be very disappointing. I can't hype myself up like many other people.

Naturally, judging this hastily may have been a mistake on my part. This isn't a maingame, but a spinoff - a sidegame. ZUN hasn't really missed with those yet, seeing how StB, DS and GFW are all good games, so chances are this may not turn out as badly as the last couple main games did.

Yeah I actually agree with you about what was shown. In some of the attacks in the trailer he didn't have to dodge a goddamn thing. I just think that's enough to already lay down a judgment onto the game. Like people said, considering this is a trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if this is early stage stuff, as a sort of introduction to the gimmicks in the game.

And I'm not saying you should hype yourself up. I just think you shouldn't automatically dismiss every new Touhou.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
Well this is a peculiar announcement. The gameplay gimmick does look a bit interesting.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
ZUN tweeted: "I am certain, this games contain absolutely no fan service."

Shocking!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
I've got everything updated now!

Summary of the items:

?Bloodthirsty Yin-Yang Orb?: teleports you near the boss (see video)
 ?Gap-Folding Umbrella?: warps at screen edges
?Cursed Decoy Doll?: attracts aimed bullets
?Substitute Jizo?: dies in your place
?Tengu?s Toy Camera?: clears bullets
?Four-Foot Magic Bomb?: a timed bomb, name references this type of fireworks, with a diameter of 4 shaku (around 120cm)
?Send-Off Lantern of Ghosts?: makes you invincible for a short period, you can also move
?Nimble Fabric?: makes you invincible for the duration of button press, but you can't move
"Miracle Mallet": unknown
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Ooh, this looks interesting...HIGHLY hoping for difficulty levels, though I'm gonna doubt they'll be there since it seems similarly formatted to the photo games.

Oh well, if I decide to bash my head against something too hard for me, this seems like a good choice.  Never was into the idea of just the photography thing, but since you're actually fighting back here I think it'll appeal to me more, plus with all the different toys it should be fun.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
Nice to see ZUN trying something new. Can't wait.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
I am going to pull a wild bet and say that Miracle Mallet will shrink Seija for a short while.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »
I am going to pull a wild bet and say that Miracle Mallet will shrink Seija for a short while.
Not to discredit your theory, but I think it'd make more sense to shrink enemy bullets. Touhou hitboxes are plenty small as it is.

Still, I think this game is pretty interesting and I can't wait to see how the more complex patterns will be solved. :3c

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
I love how everyone here always gets super hyped, every time, accepting everyone that's being thrown their way. I can't imagine how it's possible to be so positive all the time. Care to explain how you do that?

It's simply about not having a false sense of entitlement. ZUN makes these games because he loves to, not because he has any obligation toward anyone else.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
From what I see. It looks to be very unique compared to the other games. It's like an upgraded version of Shoot the Bullet.

Interestingly enough, it's 14.3, which suggests more side games before Touhou 15.

I won't make any gameplay wise impressions since I've yet to play the game.

Plot wise, it sounds interesting. I like how Seija is now being chased by everyone in Gensokyo for being a "Rebel". I guess it's sort of payback for causing the DDC incident. It's quite silly. I seriously hope that Sukuna gets a spot in this new game. I think that in the manga it was said that her mallet was almost full again. So she could technically transform back into her big state without upsetting Gensokyo's balance again.

Also. If the game is called "Impossible Spell Card" I hope there's some pretty hella hard spells in this game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:51:02 PM by Mino ☆ »

Oh

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
Yeah, hug you Sakurei

No need for personal attacks now, joke or not. -Hele
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:47:33 PM by Helepolis »

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Well this just made my day. Seriously hyped for this.

(Also super super nitpicky but tling 隙間の折りたたみ傘 as "Gap-Folding Umbrella" makes it sound like the umbrella folds gaps or something. (Literally it's "Folding Umbrella of Gaps.") Getting rid of the hyphen should solve this.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:52:56 PM by hungrybookworm »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
It almost felt after the video that this game is actually a major mix of Shoot the Bullet/Double Spoiler, Fairy wars + new stuff in Seija style. The video was actually for me more confusing than revealing.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
It almost felt after the video that this game is actually a major mix of Shoot the Bullet/Double Spoiler, Fairy wars + new stuff in Seija style. The video was actually for me more confusing than revealing.

Yeah. It's interesting to see that the Tengu camera actually got reused. I wonder if you can actually choose which items you want to bring in the spellcards before you do, or if you're forced to use specific items for each spell.

It would mean that there would be very interesting ways to handle every spellcard.

Theoretically, if you could choose, you could just play this game like another Shoot the Bullet.

EDIT: It looks like from the video that you can choose which item you want to use. Well that's nice. Adds more variety and options.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:43:01 PM by Mino ☆ »

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
As soon as I started watching the video and noticed that Seija was the player character, I was half-expecting the gimmick to be similar to the one from Thaws's Danmakufu script

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
Seija being the main character makes me happy.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
"Miracle Mallet": unknown

From what I assume either your or the bullet's hitboxes will become smaller.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
I'm glad to see that ZUN's still pulling together a new game. I'm actually surprised that Seija's going to get some spotlight time here honestly. Still what I've seen of the trailer looks like it's taking a mechanic we know from previous side games, and remaking it into something completely different.

Personally after my experience with StB and DS. I'm up for this challenge. Looking forward to Reitaisai and hopfully more things will be revealed there since this is only 14.3.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
Adding to what I noticed earlier. Soku was 12.3.

So that means there will probably be a 14.5 and a 14.8.

I wonder what kind of things ZUN will be coming up with for those next two sidegames.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Except I am completely serious here and don't do it to be "edgy". Sorry if criticism of past games and having very little hope for the next game are forbidden, I didn't know!
Nobody cares. If you don't like it, that's great. Don't threadshit just to be /that person/ that has to be contrarian.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
I heard about this, posted it on my Tumblr, and then realized all of my friends already knew about it. I'm late to the party. ;_;

Oh, hey, maybe we'll get some more insight into DDC's story and Seija's personality, etc etc. That would be pretty interesting. I'll get to see how far off the mark I was in my Touhou story

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
That main menu screen looks pretty different from the ZUN's usual pattern.
It is interesting to notice that the game is in version 1.00b before being released :P

Crazy Machines, Danmaku Edition confirmed.
Yeap, oh yeah
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »
Also. If the game is called "Impossible Spell Card" I hope there's some pretty hella hard spells in this game.

I could've sworn impossible spell cards went against the point of danmakufu, so Seija really must have pissed everyone off.

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
Seija probably flipped the spell card rules around so instead of "You are not allowed to use impossible spell cards", it's "You are allowed to use impossible spell cards".

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
I'm fairly certain I recall ZUN saying that he only makes games he thinks is fun himself, not generally what the fanbase wants. Otherwise Mima would've obviously come back by now yo :V

he's just saving her for when the series need an extraordinary magician, you know :D (also, Koishi spam on my Touhou games, wtf? That needs to go. loljk)

I hope that the game is as interesting (if not more) than the gameplay description, and that said gameplay is well executed too (what do I mean with "execution"? Generally, that good ideas can be executed poorly; they can sound awesome in theory and not be fun in practice, for example)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

PurpleTheGuy

• Purple and Violet
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2014, 11:47:41 PM »
You know what's very funny about this recent announcement to me? After Double Dealing Character, I used to always joke around, about how the next game would be about Seija, and how after the events of Double Dealing Character, she was sentenced to pay a fine of 1 billion scorepoints, and a year's worth of community service for Gensokyo for causing the events of DDC, and you'll be playing as her trying to adjust to Genosokyo, and her changing morality since DDC, or something like that.

Well, I found this announcement out today, and thought, "Oh my gosh. I didn't think it actually would happen. I mean, I could expect a phantasmagoria-like game, but woah, I didn't think this would really happen." Well, at least the playing as Seija part, the jurie's still out for what ZUN has in-mind for the story. That's his call, of course, as the creator.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:50:10 PM by PurpleTheGuy »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »
I like the characters he's picking to pull aside for their own game based on something about their character; Aya, Cirno, Seija. The results are often mixed in an unpredictable way. But the trailer makes this look like a hell of a lot of fun. Also, hell yes Keine.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »
Looks neat I guess. I've never played any of the spinoffs because I'm still years away from finishing the main series, but a new game with Keine in it means I'm in for sure.

Kind of disappointed it's not Phantasmagoria, but then again why would it be? Those are main series games, not spinoffs.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.