Author Topic: [Art] Nobu's sketches and art-ey stuff  (Read 26261 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: [Art] Nobu's sketches and art-ey stuff
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »
Filling an entire sketchbook within 2 months? Whoa, that shows some intense dedication and a very aggressive pace! (by contrast it took me about 14 months to fill my previous ~60 page letter-size sketchbook, even when using it for writing....)
There are definitely signs of improvement in these comparisons -  not only in terms of aesthetics and form, but I particularly notice that the newer drawing express slightly more dynamism (mostly via postures and expressions). That's definitely progressing nicely.

THank you, that's good to hear. ^^ I tried improving the dynamism in the second image with a nice through line and a more fluid snake pattern. I've been studying Nsio's tutorials lately.

I might be taking a cautious angle here (that, and 4am logic is speaking on my behalf :colonveeplusalpha:), but I would definitely encourage finding a moderate pace to continue improvements - doing too much at once can easily lead to burnout as well as a growing gap between perceived and actual skill (which tends to result in frustration and all the related stuff). Of course, cram sessions on specific topics are definitely handy in their own right, but for the most part slow and steady methods are far more preferable.

I totally understand this sentiment (and thank you for worrying about me!), but all things considered I think I've been managing so far pretty well. I've been interested in animation for over 20 years, and drawing for that long too. But I never drew anywhere close to a consistent schedule and I would get discouraged really quickly. Draw like two little things and then be done with drawing for months on end. Once I buckled down to a 'draw every day' schedule two months ago and focused on improvement, I've been a lot happier in life AND cashing in on the shift to a regular schedule.

Really, i've just been keeping to these tenants and letting the rest filter in naturally:
1. Draw every day.
2. Keep a large swipe file.
3. Keep moving.
4. Finish what you start.

There used to be a small minimum of 2 small sketchbook pages a day relatively filled, as sketchy or as focused as I want. But I never have an issue of running into the minimum anymore and just drawing *something* is crucial. I completely changed how I save images (now by aesthetic and personal appeal, and more 'things I admire and want to emulate' now). 'Keep moving' is just so I don't get burned out, and so I get out of my comfort bubble. And I find that finishing things is definitely the better goal than 'making sure its perfect' for now.

No lie, drawing is my #1 past time now. I only work 15 hours a week and don't go to school, so that means I can pretty much work as if i'm a full time independent student. And thanks to 7 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad school, I'm pretty good at doing the student thing by now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:20:12 PM by Nobu »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
Holy crap, drawing at the speed of wow there, Nobu.

The dedication is DEFINITELY showing through in the results though, so keep going!  Your style's developing into something rather adorable.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I started an art tumblr about a week ago. I currently just finished Day 6 of a 31 day Homestuck challenge. I'll still post any of the particular notable works here though.

http://nobunoko.tumblr.com

All of the notable stuff of recent times is Homestuck. Though I sketched this Reimu the other day and liked where it was going.

Day 1 - Favorite Beta Kid - Jade
Day 2 - Favorite Alpha Kid - Jane and Roxy
Day 3 - Favorite Troll - Karkat (warning, minor amounts of blood ((nosebleed)))

Been trying out a lot of new things. Cel shading, shading in general, complicated hand positions, etc etc. Trying to have fun with it and push myself too.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
Your hand practicing looks pretty convincing and impressive. I like hands.

This isn't really advice, because I have none to give, but there may be something to try. When going for a digital 'painty' effect, instead of thinking of drawing with strokes, try 'shaping' shapes (ie: blocking shapes/colors) instead. For example, smear some color in the general area you want it in and use the eraser or other colors to shape it. Did you know that, in a general sense, you can draw more accurate representations of something by erasing off bits of a blob of color than you can by drawing lines? Naturally, this would likely not be the case with professionals. But may be interesting to try. Contours is kinda what this helps with, as doing inner details is hard with this. Random musings.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
This week has been a lull due to mercury retrograde a weird funk I can't explain, and my only pet dying in my arms a couple of days ago. So i've been hovering just above my 'minimum quota' of drawing per day for the most part. And mostly just lots and lots of faces.

I was pretty happy about this face though. I thank Suwako-sama for the inspiration.

Your hand practicing looks pretty convincing and impressive. I like hands.

This isn't really advice, because I have none to give, but there may be something to try. When going for a digital 'painty' effect, instead of thinking of drawing with strokes, try 'shaping' shapes (ie: blocking shapes/colors) instead. For example, smear some color in the general area you want it in and use the eraser or other colors to shape it. Did you know that, in a general sense, you can draw more accurate representations of something by erasing off bits of a blob of color than you can by drawing lines? Naturally, this would likely not be the case with professionals. But may be interesting to try. Contours is kinda what this helps with, as doing inner details is hard with this. Random musings.

Thank you! I think i've heard of that before but i'll definitely try it out sometime. I found that it's generally easier to make a shaded in oval and then erase the inside versus just drawing it normally.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
I'm still alive. :toot: Thanks to life stuff (and Monster Hunter), I eased up on my drawing pace a lot and took a break from tablet for a while. Though lately i've been picking up steam again. Mainly working on color with some gesture, and trying to loosen up a bit. I probably needed a break to consolidate the learning I had been doing.

Here's a spattering of sketches I've done more recently. Sorry for the low quality images!

I draw Suwako-sama a lot if you couldn't tell, might ink the last one: 1 2
Nozomi
my dear stuffed animal Maru
Self Portraits: 1 2
my kitsune alchemist in Pathfinder
this lanky ass Raichu I like to draw sometimes
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:49:09 PM by Nobu »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2015, 04:29:27 AM »
Well it's approaching my birthday again, and one year since I started kicking my drawing study into overdrive. There was a lull from early spring to late summer, but I've thoroughly gotten back into the swing of things. I'm trying to finish filling my third sketchbook by then.

Here are some Undertale MC I drew recently, my rough for Touhou 20th anniversary picture, a Suika, some chibis, and a page I did while practicing faces--->spontaneous Aladdin-->inking just now.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2015, 04:44:46 AM »
Too much adorableness! 

Also glad to see you back about, though that might just be more me being unobservant so...

* Jq1790 shrugs

If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2015, 04:49:40 AM »
Also glad to see you back about, though that might just be more me being unobservant so...

* Jq1790 shrugs

Thank you  :blush:

Nah you're right, I have the bad tendency to disappear off for months at a time and then come back out of nowhere. No wonder why I associate with Koishi?

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2015, 05:51:05 AM »
Nobunbunnnnnn

Super cute stuff, especially the chibis; I think the eyes really work for me!
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder